• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo holding new conference this Friday [Up: Over]

pramath

Banned
BurntPork said:
What earth makes you think that Nintendo's suddenly going to give so much a fuck about the eShop that they'll sacrifice millions of sales to "legitimize" it? It's not going to happen. The only thing less likely than that would be them announcing that they've handed their 66% of the franchise over to Game Freak, followed by GF announcing the very next day that Pokemon Gray will be a multiplat title for 3DS, PSP, Vita, iOS, and Android. We all want Nintendo to finally care about DD, but there's just no chance. The only way Gray will be on the eShop is if Nintendo starts putting retail titles there.

Also, don't you think that they might have spent the last year upgrading the graphics?
Well, for starters, Iwata specifically mentioned when he announced the 3DS price drop that Nintendo needed to look into expanding its digital business if it was to secure its future in the handheld market. So there's that. Moreover, he seems to be serious about making the eShop a genuine contender in the market. He announced an entire update around updating the eShop (though now we know that said update, the November update, will have more to it than just that). I think it's pretty clear Nintendo is serious about the eShop and its digital business.

Disguises

BY2K said:
3D Video Recording!?

Awwwwwww yeaa...

Wait, the camera is shit, anyway...
Yeah...however, if we could move 3D videos onto SD card to watch - that could be more interesting to me. (It won't happen)

BurntPork

Banned
pramath said:
Well, for starters, Iwata specifically mentioned when he announced the 3DS price drop that Nintendo needed to look into expanding its digital business if it was to secure its future in the handheld market. So there's that. Moreover, he seems to be serious about making the eShop a genuine contender in the market. He announced an entire update around updating the eShop (though now we know that said update, the November update, will have more to it than just that). I think it's pretty clear Nintendo is serious about the eShop and its digital business.
Still, expecting them to put a major Pokemon game excusively on the eShop is pure insanity. (And I know a lot about insanity.) It's just not going to happen. It goes against Nintendo's MO (hell, it would go against Microsoft's MO), Game Freak probably wouldn't agree to it, and I could see it costing them tens of millions in revenue.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
beje said:
Besides, there doesn't seem to be a limit on 3DSWare size, seeing how the first game we got for it (Let's Golf) takes almost 100MB. The biggest DS games are at 128MB right now, with 256MB as the maximum for a handful of them.
Largest DS cart size to date is 512MB (4Gb), Ninokuni. There are indeed a handful at 256MB.

I'm on my phone when I clicked on the title it took me to the last page, and it took a while. 8 PM Japan time is like 6 AM central time.

Definitely not watching it since I have work all day on Friday and I don't wake up until 9:30 lol

guek

Banned
4am pst really blows. I'm definitely not getting up that early, now I have to decide whether or not I wanna stay up that late.

Not that I wouldn't have stuff to occupy myself with...med school course loads suck :-(

Game-Biz

HiroProtagonist said:
Why are they streaming on Ustream if it's pre-recorded? Is it just to make an 'event' out of it?
Yeah, probably. And if it's going to be at 8:00 PM Japan time then it'll be 4:00 AM PST for me...damn I might to skip this one and catch the lulz and meltdowns later after the fact.

d+pad

Soooo, does history suggest NOA will reveal some info around this date, too? If so, I sincerely hope they announce the pre-Christmas release (in North America, obviously) of the pink and white 3DS systems :\

guek

Banned
d+pad said:
Soooo, does history suggest NOA will reveal some info around this date, too? If so, I sincerely hope they announce the pre-Christmas release (in North America, obviously) of the pink and white 3DS systems :\
Well they usually have a fall conference (usually in october iirc), but that already happened last month.

Since this isn't a live press conference, everyone should keep their expectations in check. If they were really going to blow people's minds, they'd have made a bigger event out of it. It's probably just detailing the update. I don't expect any new game announcements or wii u news. It'll probably just be about new features.

beje

Banned
LOCK said:
Nintendo we need more time to get hyped and make wild speculations.

In a serious note, that's probably what they're trying to avoid. I mean, it's just a quick video saying "download the fw update next week and you will have these already-announced-months-ago features we're going to showcase".

Game-Biz

Shai-Tan said:
call of duty 3ds?
If they cut the framerate to 20 fps then I think they could get it about as good looking as the 360 version, maybe even better in some areas.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Amir0x

Banned
Game-Biz said:
If they cut the framerate to 20 fps then I think they could get it about as good looking as the 360 version, maybe even better in some areas.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

hahaha "as good as the 360 version, maybe even better"

best underhanded sarcasm of the thread

BurntPork

Banned
A bit off-topic, but since investors are being brought up...

Does anyone have an idea of when Nintendo will report quarterly earning and if there will be an investor meeting? I'm curious to find out if I'm correct in thinking that 3DS shipments doubled compared to Q1.

Rhod

BurntPork said:
What earth makes you think that Nintendo's suddenly going to give so much a fuck about the eShop that they'll sacrifice millions of sales to "legitimize" it?

Well, I doubt they'd use PokeMon but then again...

Iwata said:
In my mind, I would like to make the presence of the Nintendo eShop much larger in three years time. I don't mean to say that we will no longer have packaged games in three years but what I mean is that we will have one more pillar. In the event of this occurring, the transaction volume (for digital business) under expectation is obviously not 5% or 10% of growth but a more drastic change, and I am strongly motivated to increase the number of people who will use money digitally and create a future where consumer do not feel any resistance in doing so. I think that the next three years will be very important.

There's no reason to expect any megatons so soon after the September conference, and especially not from a prerecorded video, but I'm pretty curious to see what Nintendo's idea of an improved eShop looks like. Maybe they can add basic features like a download queue, support for purchases via redemption codes, and an interface that doesn't kick you back to the front of the eShop when you select "continue browsing" after making a purchase alongside the already-promised demos and DLC.

BurntPork said:
A bit off-topic, but since investors are being brought up...

Does anyone have an idea of when Nintendo will report quarterly earning and if there will be an investor meeting? I'm curious to find out if I'm correct in thinking that 3DS shipments doubled compared to Q1.

October 27. And yes, I would assume there'll be a briefing the next day.

watershed

Banned
So will this air thursday night pacific standard time in the US?

I can't wait to hear about the firmware update and the Mario Kart 7 stuff, I hope Iwata throws in a few surprises too.

artwalknoon said:
I can't wait to hear about the firmware update and the Mario Kart 7 stuff, I hope Iwata throws in a few surprises too.

The firmware details and the MK7 stuff are certainly not the only thing going to be discussed - the official site for the thing lists them as just examples of the info being presented. Whether or not there'll be any surprises is a different story.

Looking forward to either staying up playing Layton until 7 am or waking up at 7 am. :D

I just hope the friend list stuff going on with Mario Kart doesn't end up being something you can only see while playing Mario Kart. What we need is real ways to set games up in the 3DS OS. We need to be able to send messages. Some kind of sign that someone has come online would be really cool too. Like maybe the light flashes green and blue or something. I don't really want any popups like on X360.

What I'm hoping with the eShop is real categories that don't change every week for DSiWare, 3DS eShop games, and 3D Classics. Like what they do with the VC. I like the new VC button icon btw.

I would say I want new puzzles, but I still don't have all the regular puzzles. I've only streetpassed 3 people. It would be cool if they just let me open up all the puzzles with the update so I can fill them up by myself. I'm kind of expecting a whole new game in the Plaza besides the puzzles and Save Mii. A Save Mii expansion would be cool too though.

Boken

Banned
I don't have high hopes. Anything important would've been shown in the sept conference. This is just for the leftovers.

Luigiv

Cmd. Pishad'aç said:
I want the console to have a real online infrastructure.

Thats all.

Oh, and a browser that doesn't suck too, please. And that means Youtube is a Yes, bitches.
If you think Nintendo's browsers are bad wait you check out Sony's. The PSP's and PS3's browsers are truly abysmal. That being said, I have a gut feeling the Vita's will be alright (though I haven't really checked to be sure).

It would be really nice if someone would host the conference on a spoiler free page for those who are sleeping when this thing goes up, that way we can watch it when we wake up and be surprised throughout the whole thing!

Any takers?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think expecting any game announcements is a bit foolish. Sounds like its going to focus exclusively on the firmware upgrade and other online goodies.

After all, this is supposedly stuff they didn't have time to show at the pre-TGS event. If it were some big new game announcement, I think they would have squeezed that in then.

Berordn

Luigiv said:
If you think Nintendo's browsers are bad wait you check out Sony's. The PSP's and PS3's browsers are truly abysmal. That being said, I have a gut feeling the Vita's will be alright (though I haven't really checked to be sure).
The PSP's browser opens automatically when connecting at a hotspot, has tabs and Flash. Bad yes, but still better than the 3DS one.

EatChildren said:
I think expecting any game announcements is a bit foolish. Sounds like its going to focus exclusively on the firmware upgrade and other online goodies.

After all, this is supposedly stuff they didn't have time to show at the pre-TGS event. If it were some big new game announcement, I think they would have squeezed that in then.

Most likely, but you never know... there's got to be a few goodies in there!

Instro

EatChildren said:

So Metroid Dread announcement right?

EatChildren said:

We've had so many 3DS game announcements recently, I don't expect Nintendo to announce anything new until the end of their fiscal year.

And I don't expect to hear anything about Wii U until E3 2012.

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:

I'm not sure. Too many big announcements at a single event aren't really a good idea. One would try to spread it out a little.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Berordn said:
The PSP's browser opens automatically when connecting at a hotspot, has tabs and Flash. Bad yes, but still better than the 3DS one.
If by Flash you mean two-generations-old flash, yes. Also, tabs were rather hypothetical on the <64MB models where the browser would usually run out of mem by the 3rd tab on simple pages, but I never tried it on the 2K+ models, where that should have been mended somewhat.

That said, PSP's browser was still usable. PS3's browser, on the other hand..

But overall I would not say PSP's browser was more usable than 3DS'.

Top Bottom