• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo holding new conference this Friday [Up: Over]

EatChildren said:
I think expecting any game announcements is a bit foolish. Sounds like its going to focus exclusively on the firmware upgrade and other online goodies.

After all, this is supposedly stuff they didn't have time to show at the pre-TGS event. If it were some big new game announcement, I think they would have squeezed that in then.
They could still show some games IMO. For instance, IIRC when we got that Zelda Skyward Sword concept art, Nintendo said they wanted to show the game off at E3, but it wasn't ready in time or something.

Berordn said:
The PSP's browser opens automatically when connecting at a hotspot, has tabs and Flash. Bad yes, but still better than the 3DS one.

Too bad that it performed even worse than the DS' browser. The 3DS browser is actually pretty decent considering that it runs while playing a game. It may be feature light, but it renders fairly fast (at least comparable to Safari on an iPhone 3GS)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've only ever used it for Mii PLaza to check out what is in each room. Loads up a GameFAQs page reasonably fast. I can see it being quite useful for Animal Crossing in the future.

BGBW said:
I've only ever used it for Mii PLaza to check out what is in each room. Loads up a GameFAQs page reasonably fast. I can see it being quite useful for Animal Crossing in the future.

Yeah, it's a great GFaqs browser and it loads Txt files much faster than my iPhone! The only problem is that it can't load any FAQ bigger than 2MB, which isn't that big of a problem unless you're looking at an FAQ for an RPG.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah, it's a great GFaqs browser and it loads Txt files much faster than my iPhone! The only problem is that it can't load any FAQ bigger than 2MB, which isn't that big of a problem unless you're looking at an FAQ for an RPG.
The problem I have is that it doesn't do text searches, unlike the DSi browser. Nope, I have to scroll for five minutes to get to the relevant part of the guide.

UncleSporky said:
The problem I have is that it doesn't do text searches, unlike the DSi browser. Nope, I have to scroll for five minutes to get to the relevant part of the guide.

Yeah, that feature is sorely missing. Mind you though, there is an update planned for the Netfront NX Browser at some point (which includes Flash support) so hopefully that'll trickle down to the 3DS as well and bring text searching along with it.

Safari on iOS has a text search feature, but it always crashes the browser whenever I use it on GFAQs (even with an iPhone 4 :( )

Probably not realistic, but I just want to put my credit card info in there and buy shit directly. They would have a lot more of my money if they make this happen. A LOT more.

beje

Banned
abstract alien said:
Probably not realistic, but I just want to put my credit card info in there and buy shit directly. They would have a lot more of my money if they make this happen. A LOT more.

Both Sony and MS has shown us plenty of times that it's not a good idea.

beje said:
Both Sony and MS has shown us plenty of times that it's not a good idea.
I would rather take my chances at having someone else spend my money as opposed to having them take it anyway in the form of unused credits.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wsippel said:
I'm not sure. Too many big announcements at a single event aren't really a good idea. One would try to spread it out a little.
Why would you do that? said:
They could still show some games IMO. For instance, IIRC when we got that Zelda Skyward Sword concept art, Nintendo said they wanted to show the game off at E3, but it wasn't ready in time or something.

Sure, but there's still a fairly significant amount of known 3DS titles that haven't launched yet, and I'd figure for the announcement of a big game they'd give a bit more notice. And I still think they'd fit something in during the pre-TGS event, if just for greater exposition.

It would nice to be surprised though. I'm just going to expect online stuff, mostly Mario Kart 7 online details, and the bits and pieces of the new firmware update. Nothing too significant or ground breaking.

beje

Banned
abstract alien said:
I would rather take my chances at having someone else spend my money as opposed to having them take it anyway in the form of unused credits.

It's not just that. Storing CC information and sensitive data makes their servers a target for hackers, with all that means (service outages, *even more* draconian DRM, rushed and botched system updates...)

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
Sure, but there's still a fairly significant amount of known 3DS titles that haven't launched yet, and I'd figure for the announcement of a big game they'd give a bit more notice. And I still think they'd fit something in during the pre-TGS event, if just for greater exposition.
Well, I certainly wouldn't expect another announcement as huge as MH4 or something, but I could see a new medium to high tier 3rd party game with a strong online focus, considering online is what the event seems to be about mostly.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't understand...

thread title says conference is on Friday, it is friday 13:20 right now in continental west Europe and Japan is ahead of us, yet people are posting it is exactly in 1 day time.

Am I missing something here? is it thursday or something?

Sadist

sphinx said:
I don't understand...

thread title says conference is on Friday, it is friday 13:20 right now in continental west Europe and Japan is ahead of us, yet people are posting it is exactly in 1 day time.

Am I missing something here? is it thursday or something?
Dude, it is Thursday today :p

beje said:
It's not just that. Storing CC information and sensitive data makes their servers a target for hackers, with all that means (service outages, *even more* draconian DRM, rushed and botched system updates...)
Would just having credit card transactions be more acceptable? I guess storing card info is a bit too much, but just making a purchase by entering it every time pretty much the as good as keeping it on your profile?

abstract alien said:
Would just having credit card transactions be more acceptable? I guess storing card info is a bit too much, but just making a purchase by entering it every time pretty much the as good as keeping it on your profile?
Sorry, what are you saying? You can't use credit cards in the eShop?

Or do you mean that you wish you could buy games straight from the store with your card instead of buying points with your card?

Nuclear Muffin said:

Well, if been using it to open the biggest FAQ of Persona 3 FES, and didnt have a problem. It was 1 mb and its pretty long, I dont know if much more games can go with a more than 2mb FAQ.

And for using gamefaqs the 3DS is awesome. Got my ipod touch out to see the P3FES faq, connected by wifi (as I use the same screen for my PC and my consoles, and I didnt want to change channels all the time). It didnt fucking load gamefaqs. So i got out the 3DS, and I was sure it was not going to work, so I was amazed it open so fast. Even better, I can turn off my 3DS, and when I come back the faq is still in the same line.
The only thing I dont like is that it doesnt have tabs.

Uggh better go to bed early tonight, waking up at 7 isn't the norm for me. Better be worth it Nintendo, or I will cry

from being so sleepy.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Uggh better go to bed early tonight, waking up at 7 isn't the norm for me. Better be worth it Nintendo, or I will cry

from being so sleepy.
But at least you can cry yourself back to sleep if it isn't worth it

Jaded Alyx said:
Sorry, what are you saying? You can't use credit cards in the eShop?

Or do you mean that you wish you could buy games straight from the store with your card instead of buying points with your card?
I don't want to buy points. I want to buy my games with the exact amount and not always have a residual balance of my money in their pocket regardless of me actually spending it or not. Tired of having to spend more to get a game than what the actual price tag says it costs.

Hope they announce the dates for those GBA games they are supposed to be given ambassadors. Those were pretty much the main reasons I bought a 3DS so early.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Random thoughts here, spawned by a brief convo with Vook, but I find the known dates for the new firmware launch a bit weird.

Europe gets it on the 4th of November. Australians get it on the 22nd. We don't know when Japan will get it, nor the US, but that gap between the two PAL regions is pretty large and quite surprising, given that the firmware should be nearly if not completely identical between the two.

I did some history checking, and this would mark the very first time there has been a significant delay between regional updates. Admittedly, there haven't been many updates, but its still a first. The very first update was available for the US, Europe and Australia the day the system launched (and in Japan early March, as for them it was a true first update). Ever since every single update has been literally only a day or so apart, including the significant eShop update.

So, why the sudden change? I figure for one of two reasons;

1) Nintendo can't manage globally synchronised firmware updates for whatever typical incompetance.

2) Something in the update is reliant on local server information and data, placing a heavier emphasis on each region getting new features up and running.

The case of the latter would involve the firmware update including some new connective feature that is reliant on streaming important information from local servers, or perhaps sharing data with those servers, maybe even frequently or rapidly. This would explain scattered dates for the firmware upgrade, as each region would need to make sure their local servers are ready for whatever the update contains.

I'm really just pulling speculation out of my arse here, but hey, its fun.

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
Random thoughts here, spawned by a brief convo with Vook, but I find the known dates for the new firmware launch a bit weird.

Europe gets it on the 4th of November. Australians get it on the 22nd. We don't know when Japan will get it, nor the US, but that gap between the two PAL regions is pretty large and quite surprising, given that the firmware should be nearly if not completely identical between the two.

I did some history checking, and this would mark the very first time there has been a significant delay between regional updates. Admittedly, there haven't been many updates, but its still a first. The very first update was available for the US, Europe and Australia the day the system launched (and in Japan early March, as for them it was a true first update). Ever since every single update has been literally only a day or so apart, including the significant eShop update.

So, why the sudden change? I figure for one of two reasons;

1) Nintendo can't manage globally synchronised firmware updates for whatever typical incompetance.

2) Something in the update is reliant on local server information and data, placing a heavier emphasis on each region getting new features up and running.

The case of the latter would involve the firmware update including some new connective feature that is reliant on streaming important information from local servers, or perhaps sharing data with those servers, maybe even frequently or rapidly. This would explain scattered dates for the firmware upgrade, as each region would need to make sure their local servers are ready for whatever the update contains.

I'm really just pulling speculation out of my arse here, but hey, its fun.
Or 3) the firmware update contains a new minigame and therefore needs to be rated in all major territories, with some rating boards being quicker than others? Just an idea, of course...

EatChildren said:
Or that :(.

That's perhaps the most deflated that particular emoticon has ever looked... :)

I suspect wsippel is right, simply because so much emphasis was placed on providing new Streetpass content in the last investor meeting (at least I think that was the venue - anyone know for certain?).

abstract alien said:
I don't want to buy points. I want to buy my games with the exact amount and not always have a residual balance of my money in their pocket regardless of me actually spending it or not. Tired of having to spend more to get a game than what the actual price tag says it costs.
Ok, I got you, and totally agree.

NewFresh

abstract alien said:
This is what keeps me from buying games sometimes. I don't want to buy 1000 points to buy a 200 point game.

Top Bottom