• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is firing on all cylinders right now and it's great to see after the Wii U era

Marty-McFly

Banned
more like they look okay and perform okay, they don't perform "well" by any means.

BOTW still has a ton of FPS drops and its years after it was launched.
BOTW was a launch game and also a cross gen Wii U game. I don't understand how that serves your point.

Dread on the other hand is 60 fps and looks incredible.

Original post is a little hyperbolic, but I don't understand the amount of cynicism in this thread. Is there anyone who has any honest affection/nostalgia for Nintendo who isn't excited for next year?
GAF is 80% Sony, which means people don't like gamey looking Nintendo games, they like edgy cinematic experiences which try to be deep and heavy (but usually fall flat, game writing is still terrible compared to any decent movie). GAF is generally not the Nintendo target audience so you'll see a lot of cynicism.

Original post is a little hyperbolic, but I don't understand the amount of cynicism in this thread. Is there anyone who has any honest affection/nostalgia for Nintendo who isn't excited for next year?

Pokemon Legends, 3D Kirby, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and Breath of the Wild 2 alone puts it in the ballpark as the Switch's two best years (2017 and 2019) and, judging by history, Nintendo is likely still holding first party 2022 titles to announce in the February and June Directs.

And that's without discussing Mario and Rabbids 2, Triangle Strategy, or any other third party titles.

Like, what cause is there for pessimism here, unless you're strictly into hardware power and/or have no interest in Nintendo's franchises, in which case, like, what are you even doing in this thread? Are you just here for the console wars?

I could absolutely see someone complaining about this year (though it's not bad at all in terms of the number and variety of releases, just lacking in "huge" games) or 2018 (a year that was only saved for me by the fact that I never owned a Wii U) or especially 2020 (which would have been truly abysmal were Animal Crossing not such a huge hit), but if next year doesn't excite you, I would be curious to know what you honestly want from the Switch.
2022 for Nintendo is gonna be their best year since 2017 and 2019

Raekwon26

GAF is 80% Sony, which means people don't like gamey looking Nintendo games, they like edgy cinematic experiences which try to be deep and heavy (but usually fall flat, game writing is still terrible compared to any decent movie). GAF is generally not the Nintendo target audience so you'll see a lot of cynicism.

People are upset by your words OP and rightly so. Things are far better on PlayStation, where you have a massive selection of 3rd person action/adventure games with a protagonist that talks to themselves every 20 seconds.
Feel Better GIF

lol i swear i feel like I live in some alternate reality after I see people praise these Nintendo directs.

Though it's obvious that fans of Nintendo are perfectly fine with what Nintendo puts out and I think there is something to be said about that. Nintendo gets their fans, and delivers what they want. I dont get the same feeling from Microsoft and Sony anymore. I get the opposite from Sony and Microsoft. It's like they forgot why we became fans of Xbox and Playstation in the first place.

most people are nintendo fans, it’s just we only really like the 1 or 2 superb games that come out every few years, not everything else. Most have moved on to other platforms as are primary and realize what Nintendo is now

the ones you are taking about are the super fans. Good for them if that’s what they enjoy but there’s also plenty of those on other platforms

Switch sales are on fire, that Mario movie is going to be huge, Oled and Dread in a week, SMVT shortly after, a Kirby game that has the production values of Mario Odyssey coming out early 2022 along with an open world Pokemon, more Monster Hunter Rise, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, BOTW 2 and I'm getting on that Actraiser remake rn one of the best games ever, third party support is stronger than it's been since the SNES. I can't wait to see what the second half of 2022 has in store. I have a feeling we're in for a big year.

Such a huge departure from last generations mediocre offerings.

I see momentum for the platform staying incredibly strong.
BOTW 2 is literally the only reason I have not sold my switch these past few years.

Hopefully Metroid Dredd turns out to be good. Hopefully the dust has not killed my switch yet.

Nothing Nintendo has created except for BOTW 1 and Mario Odyssey has interested me since the launch of the switch . Maybe I am just getting old, but I am shocked people thought that showcase was good. Idk…

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

The last game I bought on switch is animal crossing. I'm only looking forward SMTV. The rest I'll wait until the thirst to play switch game again. The lineup for the upcoming games are not bad just doesn't really appeal to me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The crazy thing about Switch's success is we're in year 5 and momentum is getting stronger without a real price drop.

I think this thing is going to shatter every record ever held.

The thing is they are making the games that drive the hardware sales and Nintendo are great with creating games that look and perform great. It's a weakness for third party games, but that's not what's selling the console.
Its safe to say Nintendo has saved console gaming this year after a lackluster year from its competitors.

Soosa

Banned

Pokemon Legends, 3D Kirby, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and Breath of the Wild 2 alone puts it in the ballpark as the Switch's two best years (2017 and 2019) and, judging by history, Nintendo is likely still holding first party 2022 titles to announce in the February and June Directs.

And that's without discussing Mario and Rabbids 2, Triangle Strategy, or any other third party titles.

Like, what cause is there for pessimism here, unless you're strictly into hardware power and/or have no interest in Nintendo's franchises, in which case, like, what are you even doing in this thread? Are you just here for the console wars?

I could absolutely see someone complaining about this year (though it's not bad at all in terms of the number and variety of releases, just lacking in "huge" games) or 2018 (a year that was only saved for me by the fact that I never owned a Wii U) or especially 2020 (which would have been truly abysmal were Animal Crossing not such a huge hit), but if next year doesn't excite you, I would be curious to know what you honestly want from the Switch.
I like NES/SNES era nintendo and would rate it as my top 1 retro era + have lot of nostalgia for those times.

(these are my personal opinions from my perspection, and I completely agree that Switch is great system for hardcore Nintendo 1st/2nd party fans)

Yet, Switch have been kind of lackcluster to me so far. (I own wiiu and over 100 games for it, so counting wiiu ports as switch games doesnt work for me)

So it is like 5 years from the launch and I still wait for interesting Nintendo switch exclusive game after Xenoblade 2 basically, how would I not be dissapointed and cynical?
95% of 3D nintendo 1st party games are just not interesting to me, I havent liked any 3D version of Mario, not even N64 mario. Luigis mansion is ok, but that is different genre.

I dont like pokemon, splatoon, smash at all. So, I can just wait BotW2 which is probably a great game, but I cant really count BotW1 as switch game because it is wiiu game, while I did play it on switch a lot.

And yes, Nintendos choice to use stock tegra X1 is also a factor to me. Anyone whom claims that power doesnt matter on nintendo games is just plain wrong, having more headroom would 100% certainly make their games better, like make them run stable 30fps at least + have more details, instead of empty barren worlds.

Games like witcher 3 + dark souls would be great to play on more powerful switch, but witcher looks and runs so shitty that the harware just ruins it. When I have choice to play it on ps5.
If BoTW 2 would be made for system with even ps4 level of performance, it would most likely be a better experience than on switch, because then hardware would not limit any of their visions, or waste their time to optimizing the code to run on low resources.

Without cynical people demanding better things, there will never be any real progress.
Switch is great for those whom really like most of their 1st/2nd party games, but people like me whom like bigger/deeper games like xenoblade, botw, rdr2, ghost of tsushima, "3rd person cinematic games" and so on, switch havent been offering much at all so far.

I'm not here for hardware wars, I just like only few Nintendo gametypes as in zelda main games and few others. So, should I lie that Nintendo line up is the best ever, even if I like some of it and most of it doesnt interest me?

I equally dont like majority of xbox games, or sports/racing games. So I dont like majority of playstation games either, but they offer majority of RPG/adventure/deep story driven games I like. I will get series x too, for flight simulator at least.

And while I critizise Switch, I'm sure that BoTw2 only is enough for me to make it worth while to own.

I'm happy that many get games they like for Switch, even if I dont like them, I just hope there would be more BotW kind of big games to me.

People like to talk shit, but its a ton of games I want to play lined up. 2022 seems to be the best year since th4 Switch launch year, and it hasn't even started yet.

Metroid Dread
Voice of Cards
Brain Age
Kirby Automata of Us
SMT V
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3
Triangle Strategy
MH Rise Expansion
Breath of the Wild 2

Thats a pretty fun year so far. Switch will go out with a bang.
Nice padding to the list there.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I like NES/SNES era nintendo and would rate it as my top 1 retro era + have lot of nostalgia for those times.

(these are my personal opinions from my perspection, and I completely agree that Switch is great system for hardcore Nintendo 1st/2nd party fans)

Yet, Switch have been kind of lackcluster to me so far. (I own wiiu and over 100 games for it, so counting wiiu ports as switch games doesnt work for me)

So it is like 5 years from the launch and I still wait for interesting Nintendo switch exclusive game after Xenoblade 2 basically, how would I not be dissapointed and cynical?
95% of 3D nintendo 1st party games are just not interesting to me, I havent liked any 3D version of Mario, not even N64 mario. Luigis mansion is ok, but that is different genre.

I dont like pokemon, splatoon, smash at all. So, I can just wait BotW2 which is probably a great game, but I cant really count BotW1 as switch game because it is wiiu game, while I did play it on switch a lot.

And yes, Nintendos choice to use stock tegra X1 is also a factor to me. Anyone whom claims that power doesnt matter on nintendo games is just plain wrong, having more headroom would 100% certainly make their games better, like make them run stable 30fps at least + have more details, instead of empty barren worlds.

Games like witcher 3 + dark souls would be great to play on more powerful switch, but witcher looks and runs so shitty that the harware just ruins it. When I have choice to play it on ps5.
If BoTW 2 would be made for system with even ps4 level of performance, it would most likely be a better experience than on switch, because then hardware would not limit any of their visions, or waste their time to optimizing the code to run on low resources.

Without cynical people demanding better things, there will never be any real progress.
Switch is great for those whom really like most of their 1st/2nd party games, but people like me whom like bigger/deeper games like xenoblade, botw, rdr2, ghost of tsushima, "3rd person cinematic games" and so on, switch havent been offering much at all so far.

I'm not here for hardware wars, I just like only few Nintendo gametypes as in zelda main games and few others. So, should I lie that Nintendo line up is the best ever, even if I like some of it and most of it doesnt interest me?

I equally dont like majority of xbox games, or sports/racing games. So I dont like majority of playstation games either, but they offer majority of RPG/adventure/deep story driven games I like. I will get series x too, for flight simulator at least.

And while I critizise Switch, I'm sure that BoTw2 only is enough for me to make it worth while to own.

I'm happy that many get games they like for Switch, even if I dont like them, I just hope there would be more BotW kind of big games to me.
Basically you are saying you only like what is considered one of the best games ever which is fine, but there is a lot of overlooked diversity and selection on the Switch. Even if you're not into cutesy style games like the new Kirby or Splatoon I assure they have better gameplay than 99% of whats on the market, and there is also games like Bayonetta 3, Monster Hunter Rise DLC, Metroid Dread, and SMVT that are the absolute best in their class and will provide much more refined gameplay than your standard cinematic fare.

Realistic, cool for a minute, but ultimately all bark and no bite like most of the cinematic games on the market today.

Meh. They have some good games, but every I see something from Nintendo... everything feels so low budget. Safe. Predictable.

They offer different games that's true, but they have some trash tier franchises (Kirby for example). Hey, opinions.

But I still like them and probably will get a Switch OLED in the future.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nope. Failed at upgrading thier hardware properly. Failed at any AAA games since 2017 (sorry animal crossing and rehashes/remakes don't count)
Failed with Nintendo online. And I actually like Nintendo.......

If it wasn't for having zero competitors in the mobile space, the picture would not be rosy.
Not sure why sony and ms are ignoring 100 million units sold....... fear I guess. But they shouldn't be anymore, they can easily scale games vs previous generations of portables where ports were not as easy. Sony could launch a ps portable with a downscaled version of ratchet, gt7, horizon, gow, etc without too much effort. (Making ps4 versions anyhow of most, probably not too far off what thier portable woukd be based on the Steam portable)

sublimit

Banned
I'm glad they are doing fine but "firing on all cylinders"?

Just lol.

I would like them to see them try new things and new IPs and for once stop playing it safe so much. With Nintendo i feel that i know what games they will release every generation before the generation even starts. They have become very predictable IMO.

Yesterday's direct was surprisingly good though.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Meteoid Dread: I don't like it
Kirby: I don't like it
SMTV: I don't like it
Bayonetta 3: I don't like it
Splatoon 3:I don't like it
Triangle Strategy: I don't like it
Mario&Rabbit2: I don't like it
Monster Hunter Rise: I don't like it
Astria Ascending: I don't like it
NMH3: I don't like it
Pokemon Arceus: I don't like it
Outher Wilds: I don't like it
Disco Elisium: I don't like it
Mario Party: I don't like it

See, Nintendo Switch HAS NO GAEMS!

Meteoid Dread: I don't like it
Kirby: I don't like it
SMTV: I don't like it
Bayonetta 3: I don't like it
Splatoon 3:I don't like it
Triangle Strategy: I don't like it
Mario&Rabbit2: I don't like it
Monster Hunter Rise: I don't like it
Astria Ascending: I don't like it
NMH3: I don't like it
Pokemon Arceus: I don't like it
Outher Wilds: I don't like it
Disco Elisium: I don't like it

See, Nintendo Switch HAS NO GAEMS!

Meteoid Dread: I like it

Kirby: I like it

SMTV: I like it

Bayonetta 3: I like it

Splatoon 3:I like it

Triangle Strategy: I like it

Mario&Rabbit2: I like it

Monster Hunter Rise: I like it

Astria Ascending: I like it

NMH3: I like it

Pokemon Arceus: I like it

Outer Wilds: I like it

Disco Elisium: I like it

I'm interested in most of these games lol

Last edited:

KouNaN

Neo Member
Splatoon 3, Bayo 3 and Kirby for me (and my daughter who will love it, I am sure), but there so many games I wanna get that are already out and I did not get them yet. MH expansion is also interesting, but have to get the main game first :D. ANd yeah, I am happy with the N64 games, but hope that they will do something about the image quality, as it could be a big problem. Of course BOTW 2, but there was nothing in this event about it. I can't finish most of the game anyway as I don't have the time.

Last edited:

KouNaN

Neo Member
Splatoon 3, Bayo 3 and Kirby for me (and my daughter who will love it, I am sure), but there so many games I wanna get that are already out and I did not get them yet. MH expansion is also interesting, but have to get the main game first :D. ANd yeah, I am happy with the N64 games, but hope that they will do something about the image quality, as it could be a big problem. Of course BOTW 2, but there was nothing in this event about it. I can't finish most of the game anyway as I don't have the time.
I've forgot Mario Party Superstars which will probably be a day 1 (my daughter loves Super Mario Party).

buenoblue

Nintendo just doesn't do it for me anymore. As a grown up man with with disposable income I have a great tv, sound system, pc, ps5 and rift. I like my games to look cutting edge and sharp with loads of detail. When I bought a switch a couple years ago it just seemed like garbage to me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yah. I think outselling the PS4 is more or less a lock now. Its now a matter of when, not if.

2022 is extremely stacked and I am still struggling with the games released in the past few years on Switch.

Got a high end gaming PC and a PS4 but the PS4 is essentially gathering dust now. Considering the lack of must-get games on PS5 and now Sony porting over their 1st party games to PC, I think I will survive well into the next 5 years with just a Switch and PC.

Last edited:

Jadsey

WOW did u time travel from the future? let as know all the details.
I'm pretty sure they literally said in the Direct that they are charging an extra fee.

Either that or they were doing some Phil Spencer level snake oil salesman talk

Yah. I think outselling the PS4 is more or less a lock now. Its now a matter of when, not if.

2022 is extremely stacked and I am still struggling with the games released in the past few years on Switch.

Got a high end gaming PC and a PS4 but the PS4 is essentially gathering dust now. Considering the lack of must-get games on PS5 I think I will survive well into the next 5 years with just a Switch and PC.
Yeah same. I hardly play my PS4. I play my Switch and PC more. 2022 is gonna be amazing for Switch

Top Bottom