• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is firing on all cylinders right now and it's great to see after the Wii U era

Calverz

Frustrated Whats Wrong With You GIF

BlackTron

I want Metroid Dread and I was excited to see a new tactics game (I didn't even know it existed and had a demo like Octopath did). For whatever reason, I feel like I will like this art style a lot better in a tactics game. Something felt iffy about Octopath when I played it and the game never really won me over.

Probably the only two must buys for me. There are some other wait-and-see games like Kirby. BOTW2 is one of them, I don't trust them at all at this point.

Switch sales are on fire, that Mario movie is going to be huge, Oled and Dread in a week, SMVT shortly after, a Kirby game that has the production values of Mario Odyssey coming out early 2022 along with an open world Pokemon, more Monster Hunter Rise, Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, BOTW 2 and I'm getting on that Actraiser remake rn one of the best games ever, third party support is stronger than it's been since the SNES. I can't wait to see what the second half of 2022 has in store. I have a feeling we're in for a big year.

Such a huge departure from last generations mediocre offerings.

I see momentum for the platform staying incredibly strong.
Yeah, I'm enjoying that F-zero a lot.

Lunarorbit

They straight up didn't do shit for the last few years.

Where's botw 2? where's odyssey 2?
Yeah I'm at this point. They've sucked the enthusiasm from me by waiting so long. Finally get a new metroid and it looks so generic.... 3d Kirby sounds neat but if all I'm saying is neat then I think I'll sit this one out

Woopah

The sales figures are missleading really. Obviously before Nintendo was selling a handheld and a home console. The switch has combined these. The wii plus DS sold a combined 250 million. Even the 3ds and Wii u sold 90 million combined.
Comparing the sales of one platform to the combined sales of 2 platforms never made any sense. The sales of Switch are not 'misleading'.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're doing well, but I'd argue they are still a touch below their prime: during the peak of Wii and DS.
I'm happy they're putting out multiple things I'm interested in, but it's not even close to their prime. Retro is clearly stumbling through something. MK8 team has been dormant for years. I'm surprised we didn't get a Mario Odyssey 2. Still missing a large number of smaller 3DS style titles. And Nintendo Online service is a joke compared to eshop offerings of the past, and they're not doing well in honoring past purchases at all.

But yeah, a very substantial list of things coming up for me. Splatoon 3 alone is literally going to be enough to keep me playing Switch for a few years. I have like 300+ hours in part 2, and played part 1 nearly as much.

Prime? No.
Very good? Yes.

ManaByte

You can be close minded if you want, rejecting to play new experiences because reasons. But you will never convince me that's a good thing : P

GCN was their best modern controller. Great build quality compared to the JoyCons and it's their most comfortable controller ever. I think the GCN/GBA era is their best in terms of quality and output. I'd almost go so far to say the GBA/GBA SP is the best Nintendo system ever.

jigglet

Banned
I'm happy they're putting out multiple things I'm interested in, but it's not even close to their prime. Retro is clearly stumbling through something. MK8 team has been dormant for years. I'm surprised we didn't get a Mario Odyssey 2. Still missing a large number of smaller 3DS style titles. And Nintendo Online service is a joke compared to eshop offerings of the past, and they're not doing well in honoring past purchases at all.

But yeah, a very substantial list of things coming up for me. Splatoon 3 alone is literally going to be enough to keep me playing Switch for a few years. I have like 300+ hours in part 2, and played part 1 nearly as much.

Prime? No.
Very good? Yes.

Yeah people like to joke about how gimmicky the Wii and DS were, but fuck that shit, they were Nintendo in beast mode.

tmlDan

BOTW was a launch game and also a cross gen Wii U game. I don't understand how that serves your point.

Dread on the other hand is 60 fps and looks incredible.
they can still patch games, it does serve my point and dread isn't even out yet. It's also a low demand side scroller....

jigglet

Banned
GCN was their best modern controller. Great build quality compared to the JoyCons and it's their most comfortable controller ever. I think the GCN/GBA era is their best in terms of quality and output. I'd almost go so far to say the GBA/GBA SP is the best Nintendo system ever.

Agreed. My only real complaint with that controller was that the dpad was just way too stiff. It was like pushing your thumb into concrete. But otherwise that shit was just a hair off perfection.

ManaByte

Yeah people like to joke about how gimmicky the Wii and DS were, but fuck that shit, they were Nintendo in beast mode.

I don't agree I think quality dipped in the Wii era because everyone wanted to capture that nursing home Wii bowling market and there was a lot of crap released on the Wii (NOT FROM NINTENDO). I think the GCN was better but it was so overshadowed by the absolute beast that was the PS2. But GCN games are STILL damn impressive even now. I still have my silver GCN and all my games and both Rogue Squadron games STILL look great.

Velius

Banned
This must be self persuasion.

disgusted not safe for work GIF

I can understand you want to play those games, but Triangle Strategy? Brain Age? I can give you BOTW2 and Kirby (who look a lot like Mario 3D World imo), the rest isn't really my cup of tea nor big production (an expansion, a 2D platformer, Bayonetta 3 looking worse than 2....).
I'm not saying they will be bad games, but in term of appeal we had better years.
Nintendo need to put some serious power into the Switch 2 because the lack of titles like Kena, Hogwarts Legacy and many other is sad.

But that's just my opinion.
I don't know how anyone can scoff at Triangle Strategy. If turn based strategy isn't your thing, it's just a matter of mismatched preference but as a game the demo was incredible

jigglet

Banned
I don't agree I think quality dipped in the Wii era because everyone wanted to capture that nursing home Wii bowling market and there was a lot of crap released on the Wii (NOT FROM NINTENDO). I think the GCN was better but it was so overshadowed by the absolute beast that was the PS2. But GCN games are STILL damn impressive even now. I still have my silver GCN and all my games and both Rogue Squadron games STILL look great.

In hindsight the GC was a great console. But as someone that was hyped to no end for the launch, it was a huge disappointment. I can't not view the Gamecube through the context of what it was like at launch, unfortunately, even though it houses two of my favourite games of all time (Viewtiful Joe and Double Dash). That launch, my god. Yes Rogue Squadron was great, but I had spent 5 years dreaming of the Mario 64 sequel only to get Luigi's Mansion. Then I picked myself up off the floor and got - Mario Sunshine. Fuck me. I couldn't wait to move on to the next gen.

ManaByte

In hindsight the GC was a great console. But as someone that was hyped to no end for the launch, it was a huge disappointment. I can't not view the Gamecube through the context of what it was like at launch, unfortunately, even though it houses two of my favourite games of all time (Viewtiful Joe and Double Dash). That launch, my god. Yes Rogue Squadron was great, but I had spent 5 years dreaming of the Mario 64 sequel only to get Luigi's Mansion. Then I picked myself up off the floor and got - Mario Sunshine. Fuck me. I couldn't wait to move on to the next gen.

I thought the launch was great and I loved Luigi's Mansion. It looked better than almost anything on the other two consoles and was amazingly fun. Rogue Squadron at the time was the definition of a system seller. An exclusive Star Wars game with eye-melting graphics.

Can't believe it's 2021 and grown ass men are still crying about graphics for Nintendo hardware, that hasn't been their focus for almost 20 years. Yes a more powerful Switch successor would be really useful right now for frame rate, resolution, etc. But the quality of gameplay in current Nintendo games will always be superior to it's competitors and graphics aren't everything.

2017, 2019, 2021 and beyond, Switch has been giving us some excellent exclusives. Only people who hated on them never played them on Switch and only watching gameplay videos in their underwear in their moms basement

I got a 65 inch Samsung Class 7 Tizen TV, Xbox Series X and a 2019 V2 Nintendo Switch.

I play my switch the most docked and have no issues, Nintendo delivers great games and people who complain are idiots

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I thought the launch was great and I loved Luigi's Mansion. It looked better than almost anything on the other two consoles and was amazingly fun. Rogue Squadron at the time was the definition of a system seller. An exclusive Star Wars game with eye-melting graphics.

Both where great. But I was expecting Mario 64 - the sequel. I was expecting the line up that would take down PS2. No, the lineup that would destroy Sony.

Were my expectations justified? Probably not, but that's where my mind was, for better or for worse. I almost wish I could have joined the party late. Cause when you expect the follow up to the greatest 3D platformer of all time and get Luigi's Mansion, there's only one direction left to go.

Obviously now I've learned to temper my expectations.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I hate how Nintendo just get away with praise when other parts of the industry are dragged across the coals for this.

For example Activision/Blizzard have been firing people in large numbers for years now, they just fired there head of legal. But oh no its fine if Nintendo are firing.

(This is a joke post)

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I hate how Nintendo just get away with praise when other parts of the industry are dragged across the coals for this.

For example Activision/Blizzard have been firing people in large numbers for years now, they just fired there head of legal.

Firing people and releasing over priced old games, how is that shit even comparable man? Yeah they are scummy as fuck, but at least use the proper examples.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nothing Nintendo has created except for BOTW 1 and Mario Odyssey has interested me since the launch of the switch .
I think it's quite shocking how we havent had another Zelda, Mario, Metroid game since launch. It's been 4 and a half years, and this so called Zelda/Mario/Metroid machine no longer produces these kind of big AAA games anymore.

Not sure why we didnt get a full Mario Kart sequel either. Instead of remeastering everything, they shouldve been making brand new Mario and Mario Kart games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This must be self persuasion.

disgusted not safe for work GIF

I can understand you want to play those games, but Triangle Strategy? Brain Age? I can give you BOTW2 and Kirby (who look a lot like Mario 3D World imo), the rest isn't really my cup of tea nor big production (an expansion, a 2D platformer, Bayonetta 3 looking worse than 2....).
I'm not saying they will be bad games, but in term of appeal we had better years.
Nintendo need to put some serious power into the Switch 2 because the lack of titles like Kena, Hogwarts Legacy and many other is sad.

But that's just my opinion.
  • Triangle strategy - tactics RPG (my favorite) in the style of the great Octopath Traveler, which I loved.
  • Brain Age - cheaper priced fun game for single player or multiplayer. I've already pre-ordered it.
  • BOTW 2 - Good.
  • Kirby - Good. I literally named my new cat Kirby. The 3DS games are all extremely polished. The Switch game wasn't that great, so this honestly just feels like a return to form for the series. The 3DS ones had some limited 3D as well, and I think this will be more similar to those than people think.
  • I mean, you didn't even touch my most wanted one which is Splatoon 3. That's something I'll probably play daily for years. It's hard to even play any other shooting games that don't use extensive gyro because the gameplay is just that much better with Gyro. The OST will be great. Curious about the story going with Chaos - which was determined by fans in the last splatfest (chaos beat order, I was on team order). The return of mammals, possibly tied to Mr. Grizz the bear in Salmon Run?
  • Bayonetta 3 - sequel to a 10/10 game on Wii U.
  • SMT V - hardcore JRPG.
  • Voice of Cards - an original take on JRPGs from one of my favorite writers and music composers. The demo sells itself.
  • MH Rise Expansion - Literally my favorite MH so far, and we're getting more of it. Pretty good.

Not sure how people can convince themselves these aren't appealing. I get Brain Age isn't for everyone, but I used to love the cheaper, quirky 3DS games that were built for quick handheld play. They're not cinematic or filled with deep thoughts about fatherhood, but they're typically pretty fun.

people who complain are idiots
I wouldn't go that far. Playing sub 720p games on a big 4K screen at choppy 30 fps is something one should complain about. But that's the worst case scenario and yes, overall the Switch is still very playable. Can't wait for the Pro/2 though.

They're doing "well" by pandemic standards.

Doing pretty "k" by regular standards if you ask me as the Switch has been out for quite a while now.

But I'm an observer, so my opinion almost makes up to jack shit.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Even if you're not into cutesy style games like the new Kirby or Splatoon I assure they have better gameplay than 99% of whats on the market,
this needs to be said. Splatoon is up there with the big boys like Overwatch. It is unique and has great competitive gameplay.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Nintendo Switch is great as a handheld, but the games look and perform way worse in docked mode than their competition. I own a Switch, and anything released on other consoles and Switch always looks and performs better on the other consoles. That's to be expected since the Switch has objectively weaker hardware, but for people who want games to look the best the Switch (in docked mode) is not a great choice. The next-gen Switch should improve on this. If they do I'll be happier with Nintendo. If they don't I'm not even going to bother with them.

This is all personal preference of course. But that's why I dislike Nintendo. Well, that and the fact that their dock has compatibility issues with Samsung TVs when you try to use it in 1080p mode. My entire screen would go dark for 1-2 seconds every minute or so if I put it in 1080p mode while docked. I had to buy a third-party dock to resolve this issue. Ridiculous...

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Glad Nintendo folks are excited.

I just haven't had any interest in Nintendo IP for well over 10 years now, I'm 35 and feel like I've outgrown everything they have to offer unfortunately. But if I had kids, you can bet your ass I would get them a Nintendo Switch and the games.

Amiga

Original post is a little hyperbolic, but I don't understand the amount of cynicism in this thread. Is there anyone who has any honest affection/nostalgia for Nintendo who isn't excited for next year?

That all there is to it. Nintendo is about Nintendo.

..I could absolutely see someone complaining about this year(2021).. 2018 ..or especially 2020..

3 dry years for a console is not OK. in the real world of PS/Xbox/PC a slow month would cause a riot.
Switch is a supplement. few gamers have a Switch only but you can find plenty of gamers playing exclusively on one advanced platform.

I wouldn't go that far. Playing sub 720p games on a big 4K screen at choppy 30 fps is something one should complain about. But that's the worst case scenario and yes, overall the Switch is still very playable. Can't wait for the Pro/2 though.
I meant the people who doesn't even own a Switch just come up here to complain about anything Nintendo related.

And I never said the Switch is perfect, I'm just saying the gameplay in it's first party exclusives is top tier, but I agree a hardware update should happen late next year or 2023. Even for a big Switch fan like me, it's starting to age and choppy frame rate has to be their main focus for it's next hardware. Idc about 4K, I just want a stable 1080 60fps Switch pro/2

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah, I don't see it. There is something off-putting about Nintendo as of late. At least, for me.

I recently played Mario Odyssey, and that game is a dream , but it's about the only positive thing I can say about them right now. Other then they are financially successful. I actually find them a tad annoying, if I'm being honest. The wait for Metroid Prime, the increasing disparity in power between Switch and other consoles, the stubborn refusal to drop price, the half-ass online network, the constant re-selling of classic titles.

Yes, I understand these are strategies that work for them, and they are allowed to execute however they see fit, but I am allowed to find it lame.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Yeah, I don't see it. There is something off-putting about Nintendo as of late. At least, for me.

I recently played Mario Odyssey, and that game is a dream , but it's about the only positive thing I can say about them right now. Other then they are financially successful. I actually find them a tad annoying, if I'm being honest. The wait for Metroid Prime, the increasing disparity in power between Switch and other consoles, the stubborn refusal to drop price, the half-ass online network, the constant re-selling of classic titles.

Yes, I understand these are strategies that work for them, and they are allowed to execute however they see fit, but I am allowed to find it lame.

When Nintendo does well they go on autopilot. Which is now for sure. We got Breath of the Wild when they were struggling, now we get Mario Party 24 and Splatoon 8.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
True, Nintendo is certainly one of its kind. I think that’s how they crucified Sony’s handheld attempts and forcing they to now release games on PC to survive

Rather ironic when people expected Nintendo to go 3rd party all these years and yet they are not releasing PC gamds

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I literally named my new cat Kirby.

This tells us everything we need to know about you. Go on! Git!

I kid, I joke! :D

But seriously, you should go.

Still kidding! Cats are great!

But get rid of it.

Haha! Obviously not serious!

I'm serious, and you should be banned.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Fbh

Different tastes I guess.
I'll be getting Bayonetta 3 and SMTV, then my switch will probably go back to gather dust until BOTW2.

Voice of cards I'll be getting on PC or Ps4 and I'll probably wait for the PC port of Triangle strategt

noqtic

SMTV
Metroid Dread
Splatoon 3
Bayo 3
Advance Wars Reboot Camp
Project Triangle Strategy
(is what I want that is coming out soon)

The line-up may not appeal to everybody but the switch does have some quality offerings coming up.

Top Bottom