• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Labo VR support coming to Zelda Breath of the Wild & Super Mario Odyssey

#Phonepunk#

Banned
HOLY SH*T!!!

this is so amazing. so far i've only played BOTW but it is a trip. it really feels like i am there. low res, yes, but that's not a huge deal. i spent 5 minutes standing on top of a tower and just panning the camera around. it felt like i was flying. this is intense lol. really pleasing to swim in BOTW in VR.

i tried making a strap out of a necktie but that didn't work so i just laid down on the best and rested the googles on my face. it works perfectly lol. just don't move a lot.

this looks amazing and the 3d is great. damn. best 40 bucks i ever spent.

lol i can see why people would complain about motion sickness. suddenly you aren't just watching someone ride a horse on a screen, you are right there, speeding along, and you kind of feel that motion, in a weird way. ditto for jumping and running and falling etc. this is kind of experienced in a more physical way, then again it makes things like gliding extremely pleasing and fun to do.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
HOLY SH*T!!!

this is so amazing. so far i've only played BOTW but it is a trip. it really feels like i am there. low res, yes, but that's not a huge deal. i spent 5 minutes standing on top of a tower and just panning the camera around. it felt like i was flying. this is intense lol. really pleasing to swim in BOTW in VR.

i tried making a strap out of a necktie but that didn't work so i just laid down on the best and rested the googles on my face. it works perfectly lol. just don't move a lot.

lol i can see why people would complain about motion sickness. suddenly you aren't just watching someone ride a horse on a screen, you are right there, speeding along, and you kind of feel that motion, in a weird way. ditto for jumping and running and falling etc. this is kind of experienced in a more physical way, then again it makes things like gliding extremely pleasing and fun to do.
Man, don’t tempt me Frodo!

Can I ask, have you tried other VR headsets or is this your first experience?

Shaqazooloo

HOLY SH*T!!!

I might be buying Labo VR when I get home from work...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Can I ask, have you tried other VR headsets or is this your first experience?

ive used GearVR, which this reminds me most of. also used a friend's Oculus Rift (Google Earth was a lot of fun). this is definitely low fi, which messes up the rain in Zelda, more intricate tower textures, text that appear on the edge of the screen, etc. still, it's super immersive, and the game is a great showcase for it. think of all the things you can do, climb ANYTHING, ride a horse, ride a sand seal, shield surfing, etc.

Super Mario Odyssey VR is cool, not as cool but still fun. you are dropped in the middle of a mini level and can run Mario around and you might have to turn around to see him. there is an off-screen locator. this needs to be played more standing up, or sitting in a swivel chair, cos when you start a level Mario may be behind you! you can't move the camera in these, which is a little frustrating, but they are still fun rooms to run around in. there are a handful of these micro levels and then 3d versions of the SMO intro & ending cutscenes. not a whole lot amazing here but it was fun to go into a pipe and come out and run in a circle around the player (myself) while bopping bricks and question marks.

Last edited:

Rodolink

HOLY SH*T!!!

Thats pretty much the kind of impression I got the first time I tried VR on the drift dk1.
The vr mode still works in the dock, like I hoped, and works with the pro controller. I'll have to sort out my capture card so I can record some video and watch on the Vive.
You're thinking leagues ahead! Although would still be possible to look around?

TLZ

Banned
I can't find the 4th musician in the 1st level and can't unlock the other levels.

SMO VR.

Edit: Nevermind what I said, but I still can't unlock the other levels.

Edit 2:. And again nevermind. I was apparently using my other account by mistake :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The vr mode still works in the dock, like I hoped, and works with the pro controller. I'll have to sort out my capture card so I can record some video and watch on the Vive.
Hmm. How does that work -- wouldn't the docked switch automatically send the output to tv?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
O my the immersion is off the walls xD
Ofc the res is lower but just walking around in the world is AMAZING.
Just stay on ur back in bed and let the VR rest on your face. Joycons loose

Very relaxed VR .

Only downside is riding horses that is WAY too intense.
This is def worth the entry 40$ alone

Spukc

This guy is a fucking idiot he stated the res is so low links face looks like 2 dots and a pixel.
I own oculus rift. And this dude is full of shit the res is just fine for this game. Sure it could be higher but the text is readable and the framerate is mostly the same ( what is a miracle)
I dont think some people understand this is an handheld device.

If you want to be even more immersed in botw just get it.
Dont listen to the naysayers. That only talk fps and resolution.
No shit a 250 watt high end gpu runs better then a 7.5 watt switch handheld... xD
The target for nintendo vr is immersion and it def makes that happen.
Would be a shame for people to miss out on this.

I wonder if i could use my old 3D tv and force the side by side 3D option to get big screen 3D it will work.however it will be kinda bend since no lens

Last edited:

Zenaku

Thats pretty much the kind of impression I got the first time I tried VR on the drift dk1.

You're thinking leagues ahead! Although would still be possible to look around?
Yes, pro controller can still control the camera. I'll need to test if you can separate the joycons and still use their motion controls though. I only had about 5 minutes to mess with it before leaving for work.
Hmm. How does that work -- wouldn't the docked switch automatically send the output to tv?
Yeah it goes to the TV, but remains in VR mode. I'll test later if the resolution increases in TV mode.

TLZ

Banned
This guy is a fucking idiot he stated the res is so low links face looks like 2 dots and a pixel.
I own oculus rift. And this dude is full of shit the res is just fine for this game. Sure it could be higher but the text is readable and the framerate is mostly the same ( what is a miracle)

No shit a 250 watt high end gpu runs better then a 7.5 watt switch handheld... xD

I wonder if i could use my old 3D tv and force the side by side 3D option to get big screen 3D it will work.however it will be kinda bend since no lens
Hmm. I haven't tried BOTW. I only own it on Wii U. Trying Odyssey though it feels ok. Not perfect. Not bad. When Mario wanders farther I can hardly see, but I can zoom which helps.

Rodolink

Kotakunt has rubbished both games vr modes. Probably not enough disabled transexuals in them or something.
Yeah this is just a small feature "vr camera mode" toy like experience, Nintendo was smart by introducing it in a Labo package instead of a dedicated VR device to taint the waters. Of course it will look low res a,d usability would be clumsy. DOnt know why some expected anything different, its not as if they made a different Zelda VR version cof cof Skyrim VR (although i see that coming)
But after this maybe Nintendo decides to support more of VR content if the Switch "pro" becomes reality, with VR in mind and a plastic strap for it.

BlackTron

I went to GAF this morning specifically looking for impressions on this. I'm pleasantly surprised. It might be cardboard, but if I can play Zelda in VR that doesn't suck for forty bucks I'm in.

Skyr

That are some nice impressions and I'm really tempted to try it out.

But still, it's 40€ for a piece of cardboard. Not sure if I can justify that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Kotakunt has rubbished both games vr modes. Probably not enough disabled transexuals in them or something.

yeah i hear they do. im going to make a point not to visit that site at all today. gonna skip Skeptical Bearded Dude's video as well. last night i spent an hour blissfully playing in BOTW and Mario but i knew when i went online the next morning i would hear all these complaints. if you are resolution/fps nazi then you will find something to be unhappy about.

its not as if they made a different Zelda VR version cof cof Skyrim VR

ive played Skyrim VR, only lasted a few short minutes. this is far easier to play, the camera is much more stable, you don't have to get around by pointing to where you want to go and 'jumping' there. this is my first experience w a 3D game that you could actually run around in , Skyrim VR won't even give you that.

Last edited:

Rodolink

yeah i hear they do. im going to make a point not to visit that site at all today. gonna skip Skeptical Bearded Dude's video as well. last night i spent an hour blissfully playing in BOTW and Mario but i knew when i went online the next morning i would hear all these complaints. if you are resolution/fps nazi then you will find something to be unhappy about.

ive played Skyrim VR, only lasted a few short minutes. this is far easier to play, the camera is much more stable, you don't have to get around by pointing to where you want to go and 'jumping' there. this is my first experience w a 3D game that you could actually run around in , Skyrim VR won't even give you that.

Cool, Im very curious to try it, sadly dont have a Switch yet. I wonder, is it possible to use the pro controller AND the joycons attached for the camera? (so you move the character with the pro controller and th ecamera with the head and joycons)

Zenaku

My plan worked.

VR mode while docked, running into my capture card, passed through to my Vive with VR Desktop. It's low res, but servicable. I'd be heavily impressed if I had less experience with VR, but I'm still amazed Nintendo managed to achieve this.

If a Switch revision can push this out at 1080 or above it'd be incredible. I'd love to see Monolith add VR support to X2, and I hope we get a viable Switch emulator soon enough that we can experience full VR BotW.

mcjmetroid

Ah come on now let's not be harsh he's just giving his honest impression. The dot line is a bit much but Spawnwave is usually quite fair in his impressions I find. I never sense any bias with him.

I think what people need to keep in mind though is how cheap this device is. it's easy to compare it to devices like the Oculus Rift but then it's about 10 times cheaper.

Schnozberry

I fired up Zelda this morning. While it is certainly low res in comparison to high end VR, I'm still impressed with what they were able to get accomplished on low power hardware.

As long as you set your expectations accordingly, there is some fun immersion to experience here. It's certainly not going to compare with your Vive.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Damn, really wishing I could trade my Wii U copy of BOTW for the Switch version now. At least I can try Mario Odyssey... but that sounds like the lesser experience of the two.

Spukc

Damn, really wishing I could trade my Wii U copy of BOTW for the Switch version now. At least I can try Mario Odyssey... but that sounds like the lesser experience of the two.
mario is an experience.. it is ok to play through once and that's it
zelda is a full game

tr1p1ex

it's as expected. it is pretty cool to get a good glimpse at the "VR future" of Zelda and Mario. Right now, with Zelda and the Switch today, obviously it is low-res and not something you will likely want to play for very long but that fits in perfectly with holding the VR googles to your face.

The 3d perspective is pretty cool. It was cool just being up close to enemies and experiencing the 3d perspective and the sense of scale. Even though the graphics were muddy, standing right next to an enemy and hitting them with a big flaming sword took the immersion and shock and awe factor to the next level.

The moving the camera with your head thing works fine but it made me a bit dizzy for lack of a better word at least if you made large turns with your head. You're controlling the camera in the original game as is and the camera can make pretty grand sweeping movements. I ended up not looking around with the head tracking much in my 10-15 minutes with it and mostly used the right stick instead and naturally subconsciously fine tuned where I looked with my head. Mostly because it was just more practical than completely turning around ever time I wanted to look completely to my right, left and back. I did aim using my head with the bow and arrow and that felt great.

The Mario game ( I did the first part of it so far) was a new short experience made especially for this and it shows. You aren't going to get dizzy here if you move the head too fast. It feels more like some of the Labo VR mini-games. Fixed camera. Look all around you. Best to have a swivel chair. AGain just cool to see Mario up close and it's just a test of perspective using 3d like many 3ds games did. It is just pretty simple 3d concepts. Graphics can get a muddy in the distance especially but there is a zoom in control. Press the bumper buttons. I accidentally discovered this a few minutes into the experience when I was like I can't see what is happening in the distance.

I watched the Mario trailer in theatre mode. You can't look around. But it shows it in a big movie screen theatre setting. Somehow it felt cooler than the first time I saw it. Just seeing bowser up close and in 3 dimensions and stomping on the hat... gave it that extra oomph. Don't expect too much but it was enjoyable.

All in all, a fun bonus.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo is going to go all in on VR next gen. As a proof of concept I think Labo VR as pretty successful. It just showed though that the switch is still a little low on power and screen resolution.

But a Switch 2 can have a better screen and more power. And they can easily make a cheap 20$ plastic case with strap like the cardboard one. The difference between this and PSVR2 would be that you don't need to buy a head set for 2-300$ and a PS for 3,4,500$. Everything would be in the Switch 2. They would need to find out a way to add in some sort of tracking as well but so far this to me is probably the best concept of how to do console VR and make it affordable.

But who knows in 2/3 years when Switch 2 finally drops this whole VR stuff could be dead and buried and we will be talking about Nintendo cloud streaming service LOL.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Made a run to Hyrule Castle. Swimming up waterfalls is real fun in vr esp when you get to the top and launch up w your glider. The castle interior is really super cool in vr, the long halls & pillars everywhere, the thunder and lightning, the specks of purple evil stuff sprinkling the air like snow, it looks really cool in 3d

Aiming bow and arrow does feel great

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I thought the Kotaku review was too harsh. It felt like he reviewed this as if Nintendo just released Virtual Boy 2 for $400+ and these are the games for it and not as free bonus features for the $40 Labo VR starter kit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The negative ones or the positive ones?

The positive ones. Like there's a baseline that games in VR have to hit before it looks bad or\and makes people feel nauseated. The Switch just fundamentally wasn't made with VR in mind. And with the way you have to play it, it's hard to believe that most people that are using it think that it's comfortable.

tr1p1ex

The positive ones. Like there's a baseline that games in VR have to hit before it looks bad or\and makes people feel nauseated. The Switch just fundamentally wasn't made with VR in mind. And with the way you have to play it, it's hard to believe that most people that are using it think that it's comfortable.

YOu're reading too much (propaganda) on the internets. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

You can mitigate nausea through software by merely not doing things in the games that make players sick and you mitigate the low res by using simple graphics. IT's also mitigaged by having to hold it to your face which is something you don't want to do for hours.

It's designed to be a short form experience. And as that it's comfortable. IN other words Nintendo works within the limitations of what they have.

The Zelda stuff is just them letting you see any part of Zelda in VR. IT's not "Zelda VR." IT's not something 99% of people are going to sit down and play for hours. It's more a taste of what VR could do for the Zelda experience in the future.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

I don't have it yet, but as I've pointed out over and over in these "Oculus or bust" threads: low-end VR is still extremely fun in 2019. I use Google Cardboard with an iPhone6s (essentially 720p, just like the Switch) regularly with various VR apps, and it's always a hit with family members when I show them something new. It really doesn't have to be high end at all to be enjoyable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
YOu're reading too much (propaganda) on the internets. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

You can mitigate nausea through software by merely not doing things in the games that make players sick and you mitigate the low res by using simple graphics. IT's also mitigaged by having to hold it to your face which is something you don't want to do for hours.

It's designed to be a short form experience. And as that it's comfortable. IN other words Nintendo works within the limitations of what they have.

The Zelda stuff is just them letting you see any part of Zelda in VR. IT's not "Zelda VR." IT's not something 99% of people are going to sit down and play for hours. It's more a taste of what VR could do for the Zelda experience in the future.

Okay I wasn't aware of the bolded. I thought it was the full Zelda game in VR (sorta like Resident Evil 7 was for PSVR).

Wonko_C

Maybe I played it much later than you but Skyrim VR does have standard locomotion, (In the beginning of the game it lets you choose between teleport/walking), it also has options for click-turning and smooth turning, which is helpful for those who are more motion-sickness prone.

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe I played it much later than you but Skyrim VR does have standard locomotion, (In the beginning of the game it lets you choose between teleport/walking), it also has options for click-turning and smooth turning, which is helpful for those who are more motion-sickness prone.
Yeah, Skyrim VR has had full locomotion since the day it launched. Like all VR games, it defaults to comfort controls, so anyone who doesn't go into the settings will not realize that they actually have control of their options.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Okay I wasn't aware of the bolded. I thought it was the full Zelda game in VR (sorta like Resident Evil 7 was for PSVR).

It is you can play through any of the Zelda game using this mode. Anything you can do anywhere you can go in botw you can do in this mode

saying otherwise is just gate keeping “not real vr” because it doesn’t have $400 specs

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

It is you can play through any of the Zelda game using this mode. Anything you can do anywhere you can go in botw you can do in this mode

saying otherwise is just gate keeping “not real vr” because it doesn’t have $400 specs
I think what he meant was, in the sense that it's not first person? VR experiences are usually not in a third person perspective.

iconmaster

Banned
I thought it was the full Zelda game in VR

Technically it is. You could hold the Labo goggles to your face and play Breath of the Wild from start to finish seeing everything in stereoscopic VR.

In reality... probably five people will actually do that. "Potentially full Zelda game in VR if you have amazing arm stability" maybe.

Spukc

Technically it is. You could hold the Labo goggles to your face and play Breath of the Wild from start to finish seeing everything in stereoscopic VR.

In reality... probably five people will actually do that. "Potentially full Zelda game in VR if you have amazing arm stability" maybe.
or lay down flat in your bed let the vr rest on your face at night.. and play with them lose.
you have no idea how chill it it .

Codes 208

or lay down flat in your bed let the vr rest on your face at night.. and play with them lose.
you have no idea how chill it it .
I was thinking of creating a mask of sorts that I could use to keep it on my face while playing.

Anyone know if vr mode is compatible as tabletop mode with a pro controller?

Shaqazooloo

Has no one been able to make a Nintendo Labo VR headstrap yet? I would've thought the holding it to your face problem would be a non-issue a few days in.

tr1p1ex

I think what he meant was, in the sense that it's not first person? VR experiences are usually not in a third person perspective.

I just meant it's a tech demo and a taste for the future and not their shining "Zelda VR" masterpiece.

The difference being the player can make any part of BotW their tech demo. And yes even make the entire game one big long tech demo. But I don't think that is their expectation or purpose at all. I don't think what they did here is anything more than a tech demo and a taste of the VR future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom