• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Life Rumor: EA and Nintendo to have meetings in March regarding NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

I don't have a full grasp on this new leak/rumor stuff, but I was just thinking, Battlefront might make sense for that NX port.

Star Wars is a big property that's a good fit for Nintendo's family audience and probably has proven (or at least potential) selling power on Nintendo hardware. Battlefront has already shipped like 12 million copies and maybe EA could get out a new version (or a big update) in time for Rogue One.

I feel like Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs on Nintendo consoles would make less of an impact.

At best, Nintendo's stake in the multiplats is a defensive position. Near-nobody's going to buy the console for Madden or CoD or Minecraft, but what it does is stop someone with split loyalty (someone who loves Mario Kart and CoD) from going to the PS4 just because they would rather have CoD if they had to choose, but would optimally choose both.

It's defensive in the sense that it doesn't help the console or actively enhance it's position. It just stops damage.

Of course, Nintendo needs to be aggressive enough on that to make sure the third party titles sell well enough that making a port is worth more to the publisher than spending that money (even if it's a bare-bones, million-dollar port) on more DLC for other platforms or something. But the third parties have to meet them halfway and not do unpromoted stealth-launches of a half-baked port with poor IQ performance.

This makes sense when you think about the right franchises, mainly the biggest ones more likely to be bought by families and parents for their kids. You might have parents or kids who like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. but end up getting PlayStation because they want to play Madden or Fifa. Nintendo should at the very least try to keep those biggest properties on its hardware so parents know they can buy their kids a system that has Madden, Mario Kart, Lego, Disney Infinity, and Call of Duty. Nintendo can't really win back the audience that plays Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex, or Dishonored any time soon, if it ever had that audience in the first place.

Nintendo should also probably keep trying to win Japanese third parties. It pretty much already is in good standing with all the non-AAA Japanese third party developers. The ones still making non-mobile portable games are mostly making them for 3DS, and the big hope right now is that they transition to the handheld NX. Maybe Vita developers will move to the handheld NX too. If those handheld games are playable on the console then it could by default fill some holes in the console's library. That'll at least increase NX's appeal to fans of Japanese games. The next step is getting back the AAA Japanese publishers and developers, which I imagine will be easier than getting back the western AAA publishers. Resident Evil has proven sales cred on Nintendo hardware, and Capcom is still one of the 3DS's top third party developers. Square Enix is already talking about putting Dragon Quest XI on the NX which, as far as the Japanese market is concerned, is probably the big test for NX third party support. Is it really possible mainline numbered Final Fantasy could return to Nintendo consoles after 20 years? And I still think fighting games have been a gaping hole of potential on Nintendo consoles for around 20 years now. Nintendo's big on local multiplayer right? Trying to get all that support back during the Gamecube years wasn't a bad idea.

Nintendo's problem today is it's sort of stuck in a vague place in regard to who its hardware appeals to. To be honest most of its ground was taken more by mobile than the other consoles. Well it really happened in stages: Sony took a lot of Nintendo's Japanese audience with the PS1, Microsoft took away a chunk of Nintendo's North American audience with the original Xbox, and now Apple is taking away Nintendo's family audience bedrock.

I'm just guessing, but maybe the NX could still be a way to get that audience back in the living room. The Apple TV was a good try but I don't think it has completely encroached on the area of family/kid living room gaming. Sony and Microsoft still admit that Nintendo taps into the family audience in a way they can't. Sony even admitted the console industry needs Nintendo if only for that purpose, and that Nintendo "losing" would mean the loss of young kids and families for the traditional console market.

TLZ

Banned
I already know that one big 3rd party dev is porting a huge game for NX at the moment. I was in the closed beta of this game and the partnership was kind of spilled out by a mod.

NDA, so no sugar, sorry. But just letting the Nintendo fans know that they're going to get some good 3rd party love on their new console. :)

Thanks, o wise uchiha.

Any hardware hints? If possible?

Assassin's Creed III had overpriced DLC compared to other platforms (I think at least some of the pieces were a bit late, too). It was also Assassin's Creed III. They didn't even bother with porting DLC for Black Flag .

Honestly not sure about Batman, but I suspect "not the same game, not the same content" may have had something to do with it.

All I remember from Arkham City: Armored Edition was that it ran fairly bad.

Mithos

i can see your point there, but what's the excuse for zombie u, cod, batman and assassin's creed 3, having those games bomb, just made third party's give up on it, especially cod that's like the biggest selling franchise. most third party's looked at that and thought wiiu is not worth the effort. also aside from late ports most consumers don't really know if a port is gimped or not. just look at some ps3 games that sold great some of ports were horrible.

Many answers before I answered, but as you could see, all those games could be on a I wont pay €60 list too because of different shortcomings compared to other versions on other platforms. As for Zombi U, well multiple reboots of its direction during development and platform switching before landing where it ended made it expensive, bad reviews and poor word of mouth made it sell badly.

Playstation owners buying bad ports is on them again, not Nintendo owners.

All I remember from Arkham City: Armored Edition was that it ran fairly bad.

And I would prefer the non Armored Edition and the original outfits.

Sadist

Really? I had no problems with Arkham City AE. A few times while traveling trough the city it stopped to load, but overall the port ran pretty well for me. Now if you want talk bad ports Darksiders II is one of worst I've played on a Nintendo system. Hardlocked my system about ten times and had some framerate problems here and there.

The only ports I played which are fine or good are Tekken TT2 (loading times aren't great, but everything else is buttery smooth), Need for Speed Most Wanted (Good port, ran perfectly) and the best one, Deus Ex Human Revolution DC. Best third party release on the system.

Many answers before I answered, but as you could see, all those games could be on a I wont pay €60 list too because of different shortcomings compared to other versions on other platforms. As for Zombi U, well multiple reboots of its direction during development and platform switching before landing where it ended made it expensive, bad reviews and poor word of mouth made it sell badly.

Playstation owners buying bad ports is on them again, not Nintendo owners.

And I would prefer the non Armored Edition and the original outfits.

yea i'm sure you're right nintendo gamers are extremely picky when it come to third party, i'm sure they look every game and compare it on digital foundry, yet they have no problem not being picky when it comes to hardware, the hardware is lastgen compared to the competition yet no complaints. sorry, reality check, you do not represent the market, most people buying games don't compare ports or DLC, they just go out and buy whats looks interesting and fun to them.

ika

Nintendo gamers want to play Nintendo games, so Nintendo hardware (better or worse) is necessary for obvious reasons... :p In order to buy third party games I want to be treated fairly considering differences in power and such things.

I can understand, for example, if Watch_Dogs runs better on PC and PS4, but I won't bite if they delay the Wii U version of the game on purpose, don't include all DLC, online options and stuff and they still have the nerve to ask for a full price. It's worse when you realize they delayed Wii U Rayman in order to make the other versions launch at the same time, but don't have the same courtesy with Watch_Dogs for Wii U. They're sending Nintendo users (irrelevant if they're 10 or 1 million) a disrespectful message, and thanks to that, many people will think thrice before giving Ubisoft any $€¥ in the future. So... self-fulfilled prophecy.

Terrell

yea i'm sure you're right nintendo gamers are extremely picky when it come to third party, i'm sure they look every game and compare it on digital foundry, yet they have no problem not being picky when it comes to hardware, the hardware is lastgen compared to the competition yet no complaints. sorry, reality check, you do not represent the market, most people buying games don't compare ports or DLC, they just go out and buy whats looks interesting and fun to them.

Nintendo gamers aren't the ones who are picky, it's some people looking over the fence and wondering if a Nintendo console has content outside of Nintendo's own that's worth owning the console for, either in tandem with or in lieu of their current platform. And I think it's not a disputable statement that what they see when they do so is unfavourable, to put it really bluntly.
This unfavourable content parity is then widely discussed in multiple corners of the internet, reported upon by news outlets, touched upon in previews and reviews of the games, which makes it easier for the masses to see and come to a conclusion.
And it's gotten to the point where a 3rd-party game being worse on a Nintendo platform is the rule instead of the exception, so people don't even bother looking into it anymore.

So no, people don't have to look at Digital Foundry comparisons or reading extensively about feature parity to feel that they "know" the situation anymore, it's just accepted as fact and people spend their money elsewhere. If you've ever seen a thread where a port to a Nintendo console is discussed, it is always the first conclusion that's jumped to, so it's not as though what I'm saying isn't clearly the truth of the matter.

So if there's going to be a change in that attitude, it's going to have to come from a concerted effort to beat back the misconception, and... well, let's just say that the Wii and Wii U weren't in any position to do that, for various reasons.

I quite happily buy 3rd-party games, on Nintendo consoles, if it's content that would appeal to me regardless of platform, but only so long as I'm not being cheated out of something by doing so.

The Injustice port on Wii U was the straw that broke my back on that matter, and the blame for that situation falls squarely on WB Games. So, despite being one of those people that used to check how the games compared against each other across platforms (cuz I've been looking over the fence since the Wii era, but in the other direction), even I've gotten to the point where it's time to accept the common wisdom on this subject.

TL;DR - no, people aren't comparing the games against each other, because they don't have to anymore, as common wisdom tells them what to expect from 3rd-party efforts on Nintendo platforms, whether it's universally true or not.

The_Lump

Banned
Its way to late to get cold feet, the info is already out there and reported by several other news outlets. It doesn't matter if the original source is up or not.

Well of course it's too late, I just mean his source probably asked him to take it all down and keep quiet.

Your hypothesis requires "most" consumers to be completely uneducated on what they are buying and for them to take no interest in online media (which is of course fueled by forums where people like us are very interested in such things)

sd28821

Nintendo gamers aren't the ones who are picky, it's some people looking over the fence and wondering if a Nintendo console has content outside of Nintendo's own that's worth owning the console for, either in tandem with or in lieu of their current platform. And I think it's not a disputable statement that what they see when they do so is unfavourable, to put it really bluntly.
This unfavourable content parity is then widely discussed in multiple corners of the internet, reported upon by news outlets, touched upon in previews and reviews of the games, which makes it easier for the masses to see and come to a conclusion.
And it's gotten to the point where a 3rd-party game being worse on a Nintendo platform is the rule instead of the exception, so people don't even bother looking into it anymore.

So no, people don't have to look at Digital Foundry comparisons or reading extensively about feature parity to feel that they "know" the situation anymore, it's just accepted as fact and people spend their money elsewhere. If you've ever seen a thread where a port to a Nintendo console is discussed, it is always the first conclusion that's jumped to, so it's not as though what I'm saying isn't clearly the truth of the matter.

So if there's going to be a change in that attitude, it's going to have to come from a concerted effort to beat back the misconception, and... well, let's just say that the Wii and Wii U weren't in any position to do that, for various reasons.

I quite happily buy 3rd-party games, on Nintendo consoles, if it's content that would appeal to me regardless of platform, but only so long as I'm not being cheated out of something by doing so.

The Injustice port on Wii U was the straw that broke my back on that matter, and the blame for that situation falls squarely on WB Games. So, despite being one of those people that used to check how the games compared against each other across platforms (cuz I've been looking over the fence since the Wii era, but in the other direction), even I've gotten to the point where it's time to accept the common wisdom on this subject.

TL;DR - no, people aren't comparing the games against each other, because they don't have to anymore, as common wisdom tells them what to expect from 3rd-party efforts on Nintendo platforms, whether it's universally true or not.

well said

AmyS

Exactly. Nintendo could quite easily release hardware this year that's say 50% more powerful than the PS4, and retail at a competitive price.

It would enable them to get the best console versions of multi plats for the next few years. For anyone not yet buying a next gen console, the NX could be seen as the obvious choice.

Yes, this.

If NX can run Unreal Engine 4 significantly better than PS4 (and 50% is significant) it would be a real boon for games and devs, which would only encourage more to sign on later if they're sitting on the fence uncommitted right now. We're not talking about a monster $399 to $599 USD console, but one that's in the range of $249 to $299.

Malus

Yes, this.

If NX can run Unreal Engine 4 significantly better than PS4 (and 50% is significant) it would be a real boon for games and devs, which would only encourage more to sign on later if they're sitting on the fence uncommitted right now. We're not talking about a monster $399 to $599 USD console, but one that's in the range of $249 to $299.

Can you break down how they could do it at that price range? There seems to be some disagreement here.

They could possibly release a console 50% more powerful than PS4 at $399, but I don't know how much scope they'd have if they want to match the $299 price point that PS4 and XBO will be at by the end of the year. There's potentially a bit of improvement to be had from GCN 1.2 and from a more mature 28nm process, and if they drop the optical drive that'll save them maybe $5-10 per unit, but even in a best case scenario where Nintendo were aiming to get the best possible performance for $299 you'd only be looking at maybe a 10-20% jump over PS4.

Not that I'd expect that, though. I'm expecting maybe XBO performance or a little less. Not from a "it's Nintendo, therefore it has to be underpowered" thought process, as they could obviously ask AMD to target any performance envelope they like, but from the fact that the higher the performance of the home console, the more difficult cross-development becomes. XBO performance or thereabouts allows them to be competitive enough to get third party ports while keeping handheld and home console within the right range to keep cross-development feasible.

$150 for the silicon from AMD and $150 for the rest of the stuff (ram, mobo, IO ports etc, gamepad).

That get's them break even at $300 retail. In 2016/17 the could easily release a machine more powerful than PS4 for that kind of money. Probably even $250 cost I would say.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. Shahid went in hard on Mahler.

Can you break down how they could do it at that price range? There seems to be some disagreement here.

They couldn't. Nobody here has any idea the costs and bill of materials it would take to mass produce a console at a certain retail price much less Nintendo's strategy on the ROI going forward. The reactions here to the 8 GDDR5 ram amount when it was announced was proof of that.

People are projecting on what they want to happen without having any knowledge on how it will.

They couldn't. Nobody here has any idea the costs and bill of materials it would take to mass produce a console at a certain retail price much less Nintendo's strategy on the ROI going forward. The reactions here to the 8 GDDR5 ram amount when it was announced was proof of that.

People are projecting on what they want to happen without having any knowledge on how it will.

In today's modern world, it's fairly easy to guestimate what is and what isn't possible for a particular price bracket. There's countless information out there relating to bill of materials etc for a multitude of hardware. We even have breakdowns for the PS4 and XB1. Not from the horses mouth, but certainly fairly accurate.

Besides, we aren't talking about a mega machine here, that would be silly. A machine with 50% more performance than a PS4 is hardly pushing any boundaries. I mean 4 to 6 more compute units and a higher clock speed would get you there.

Not that I'm convinced Nintendo would do this. They could do anything.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In today's modern world, it's fairly easy to guestimate what is and what isn't possible for a particular price bracket. There's countless information out there relating to bill of materials etc for a multitude of hardware. We even have breakdowns for the PS4 and XB1. Not from the horses mouth, but certainly fairly accurate.

Besides, we aren't talking about a mega machine here, that would be silly. A machine with 50% more performance than a PS4 is hardly pushing any boundaries. I mean 4 to 6 more compute units and a higher clock speed would get you there.

Not that I'm convinced Nintendo would do this. They could do anything.

I'm not buying it. There is so many factors you're ignoring that looking at the BOM for PS4 and XB1 is silly. Will Nintendo even entertain the though of manufacturing a console as the size of the XB1? Especially the fact the last two of their consoles valued heat and efficiency in a small form factor. How much more expensive would it be for Nintendo to mass produce a console that is 50% more powerful than a PS4 while maintaining a smaller form factor? Would they even want to? How much does the expense of the controller come into play?

"Guestimate" is a huge reach here. More like straight up guessing.

Nin_Fan

The first red flag is the fact that that site is banned. The second, much bigger red flag is that whoever wrote this rumor clearly has no idea what they're talking about.

Yeah, didn't realize it was banned till after I posted. There were some very positive stuff in that rumor though saying that it's the easiest platform to develope for. I'm just nervous that the home console will not have an optical drive!

Neoxon

Yeah, didn't realize it was banned till after I posted. There were some very positive stuff in that rumor though saying that it's the easiest platform to develope for. I'm just nervous that the home console will not have an optical drive!
Given the shared platform rumors, Macronix (they do the DS & 3DS cartridges) working on the NX Platform, & Panasonic (Nintendo's disc manufacturing partner) not being listed amongst the manufacturers, it's possible that discs will be ditched for universally-used cartridges.

ecosse_011172

Given the shared platform rumors, Macronix (they do the DS & 3DS cartridges) working on the NX Platform, & Panasonic (Nintendo's disc manufacturing partner) not being listed amongst the manufacturers, it's possible that discs will be ditched for universally-used cartridges.

Not being listed where?

Nin_Fan

If that's the case, wouldn't Nintendo find themselves in a similar situation as N64 & GameCube era were their 3rd party ports were missing features or content because of the size and cost of the format?

Neoxon

Not being listed where?
A while back, there were a list of manufacturing partners that were supposedly listed as working on the NX Platform. This is where we found out about Macronix being involved. For whatever reason, Panasonic was not amongst the manufacturers. I'll post a link here once I find it.

If that's the case, wouldn't Nintendo find themselves in a similar situation as N64 & GameCube era were their 3rd party ports were missing features or content because of the size and cost of the format?
Not necessarily. Cartridges aren't as expensive as they used to be & can rival discs in terms of storage space. Plus it would, in theory, allow Nintendo to use the same physical copy on both the console & the handheld.

Malus

From the uh...rumor.

The closest in terms of “power” it gets to is the Xbox One, but an app idea is Wii U x50 and Playstation Vita x100. The key is that all the tech is exactly the same hardware layout as the PS4 and Xbox One which then combine it with the OS’s strong emulation functions and compiler means that any game that can run of a Playstation 4 or Xbox One can easily run on the NX with near-zero modification to the original source code, especially if it runs in Android OS or Unreal Engine 4. This is allegedly why Nintendo has given out the dev kits so late, as one 3rd Party dev put it “It’s the easiest device we’ve ever developed for. You just take your code, compile it and it works.

100 Vitas. The world is not ready.

A while back, there were a list of manufacturing partners that were supposedly listed as working on the NX Platform. This is where we found out about Macronix being involved. For whatever reason, Panasonic was not amongst the manufacturers. I'll post a link here once I find it.

Wasn't it pointed out that a lot of companies that should've been on there weren't listed? Like NX would be missing basic components if that list were comprehensive. I would like to see a cartridge console though, even if only for the novelty of it.

Nin_Fan

Not necessarily. Cartridges aren't as expensive as they used to be & can rival discs in terms of storage space. Plus it would, in theory, allow Nintendo to use the same physical copy on both the console & the handheld.

Wasn't that list just Chinese manufacturers? Thus leaving room for Panasonic to still be involved. Btw how big if your average ps4 game? I wonder how those rumored Final Fantasy's would turn out. My guess the fmv would have to be highly compressed.

CronoShot

From the uh...rumor.

Wasn't it pointed out that a lot of companies that should've been on there weren't listed? Like NX would be missing basic components if that list were comprehensive. I would like to see a cartridge console though, even if only for the novelty of it.
Are PS4 and XB1 really 50x more powerful than Wii U?

I know the "_x more powerful" arguments are kinda silly to begin with, but 50x seems really high.

Equal in power to an XB1 but also 100 times more powerful than a Vita?

lol

I actually find the '50 times more powerful than Wii U' statement even more ridiculous, because we're talking about almost 9 Teraflops of computing power, which is almost 5 times the power of the PS4.

Nonsense.

I know the "_x more powerful" arguments are kinda silly to begin with, but 50x seems really high.

Not even close.

Don't fuck this up again Nintendo.

I don't think it is entirely Nintendo's fault. It's Nintendo's finicky demographic that rarely supports anything that is not created by Nintendo. I doubt anything is really going to change this time with the NX, but we will see.

VariantX

I dont think PC is even there yet, let alone consoles that dont even match the performance of high end PC parts when they launched

Malus

I don't think it is entirely Nintendo's fault. It's Nintendo's finicky demographic that rarely supports anything that is not created by Nintendo. I doubt anything is really going to change this time with the NX, but we will see.

I mean its their job to try and appeal to a wide enough audience to sustain themselves. Can't sell every type of game to one small sliver of the market. I'm certainly not gonna start buying Madden or Fifa but those people are out there if Nintendo wants to compete for them.

Azoo

Neo Member

Most of Nintendo's hardcore audience don't support anything not created by Nintendo because they haven't had a reason to for who knows how long, lol. There hasn't been a consistent flow of big third-party games made for the consoles they play for over two generations, three if they weren't satisfied with the not-so-huge third party library of the Gamecube (not even mentioning the N64 here).

Heck, there are kids who were ten when the Wii was big and are young adults now, so despite whatever shovelware that happened they've never really known any other company than Nintendo giving them what they want. And even if they did, they've had to buy another console for it.

Nintendo getting third parties on their side is a total win-win for everyone. Bigger and more open minded userbase, wider appreciation for Nintendo's first party, more shared libraries with the competitors = less people feeling like they need two consoles, the list goes on.

I'm sure you probably get that, but I'm just saying it's definitely Nintendo's fault for every bit of it, and that includes the userbase's attitude. That's why they've gotta step in and do something now more than ever.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
From the uh...rumor.

I doubt so. Probably 30% more powerful than wii U, 100 vita is hyperbole.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I think Nintendo plays a big part too. Not powerful enough for frostbite , not compatible with gamemaker, unreal engine 4, binding of issac fiasco etc.

AzaK

No, but mostly. We know how iron-fisted Nintendo were (are) since they entered this industry. They brought it back to life and therefore dictated how things where. Unfortunately when solid competition came, Nintendo kept trying to dictate how it was, whilst other platform holders were far more flexible. That resulted in basically everyone going to Sony and then splitting with Sony and MS when Xbox came. Apart from Wii, Nintendo has had a smaller and smaller market share, whilst maintaining that publishers put their titles on their machines no matter what Nintendo decide to do.

EA are just hedging their bets in case the NX is a runaway success like the Wii.

EA struggle on mobile and tablet gaming. If the NX is low cost and a real competitor to mobile gaming then EA definitely need a foothold in that market. Otherwise EA will be seeing their own relevance to mass market gaming slipping away.

A platform that contains Nintendo family friendly games that also has the attention of mobile/tablet gamers who aren't interested in annual sports franchises is probably causing EA some sleepless nights already due to the lack of information about the NX.

This is a worst case scenario that will definitely damage EA's bottom line for the lifecycle of the NX. How could they not want to prevent that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom