• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

Nintendo is sacrificing the home console power in order to have a much stronger and stable line up.

Some people are mad because they want another ps4.

Nintendo fans are happy because they get to play all games with just one machine, on the go and at home.

No i'm not happy because i'm paying more for a product that's worse. If they just made a portable with a HDMI out it would've had the same power but way better ergonomicity and cheaper. And you could get a home console with good controllers for significantly less, with the same spec as the portable. Both using the cart, both using the same games and lineup.

And how is it going to do that if the power is the same when connected to the TV? It's just going to upscale from the screen's resolution and look like crap.
Huh? Why would the games upscale from the handheld resolution when they will be made as console games designed to be played at 1080p on a tv? Why would you need more power for that when the rumored specs of the device are quite a bit more powerful than Wii U without needing a separate power-dock?

MuchoMalo

Banned
For what it's worth, i totally agree that if the console simply send 720p (optimistically, more probably 600 or 540p) signals to 1080p instead of upping the clock to upgrade the resolution this is pure unadulterated shit. Why would i pay for a big form factor, shitty detachable controllers for the opportunity to play on the TV? It make no sense, just make a normal handheld. I was already of the opinion that a "hybrid" sucked because it would just make for a huge handheld and a shitty home console (and overpriced over both), but if there's no real difference in using it docked it could just've used a HDMI cable and at least you would have a form factor that kept in mind usability and ergonomicity over things like having detachable controllers that will have to make sacrifice for the intended design.

If they went with a box with the same identical specifications we would have a significantly cheaper console with better controls and better specs (since clocking wouldn't be at issue at all in a casing that's even half of the WiiU). Same for the handheld, significantly cheaper, with better controls. You want the hybrid aspect? Put an HDMI out and you can still play with your handheld on the TV without compromising anything.

Not to mention that the controllers will probably use circle pads.

Huh? Why would the games upscale from the handheld resolution when they will be made as console games designed to be played at 1080p on a tv? Why would you need more power for that when the rumored specs of the device are quite a bit more powerful than Wii U?

Do you think that they'll turn down the settings in console mode in order to hit 1080p?

AzaK

Let's wait for the official reveal before calling it anything, least of all a joke.

88jX2mW.jpg

Sure, who knows what it will be in the end, but when leaks start happening and people start talking, that's stronger evidence than just guessing/hoping what it might be.

For what it's worth, i totally agree that if the console simply send 720p (optimistically, more probably 600 or 540p) signals to 1080p instead of upping the clock to upgrade the resolution this is pure unadulterated shit. Why would i pay for a big form factor, shitty detachable controllers for the opportunity to play on the TV? It make no sense, just make a normal handheld. I was already of the opinion that a "hybrid" sucked because it would just make for a huge handheld and a shitty home console (and overpriced over both), but if there's no real difference in using it docked it could just've used a HDMI cable and at least you would have a form factor that kept in mind usability and ergonomicity over things like having detachable controllers that will have to make sacrifice for the intended design.

I guess it depends if they put a high clock X2 in there or not (I guess they won't). So if it's an X1, under clocked or whatever, it'll be pretty sad if there's no upclock on dock. However, it seems that this is just where Nintendo is going and you can see why. They have, after 30 odd years of less and less sales (Apart from Wii) finally got to the point where they may have realised that their approach to gaming is just not going to cut t in today's console market. As console gamers have gone more "hardcore" there hasn't really been a place for Nintendo because they have refused to move with the times.

Based on what the retailer CEO said, it's definitely a machine for casual and HH gamers and unfortunately that's where Nintendo's market is at the moment, albeit a shrinking one.
HH?

I doubt that they'll release an inferior machine to wiiu so, i believe there must be something more like metaldave says.
As has been said numerous times. A HH with a Tegra in it is way more powerful than Wii U. Just not very powerful compared to XBO or PS4.

Do you think that they'll turn down the settings in console mode in order to hit 1080p?
No, because the rumor states that the device is powerful enough to run better-than-Wii-U quality games at 1080p, so there's no reason to turn down settings for that resolution. Games will be designed for 1080p and then downconverted for the lower-res handheld screen. Either that or it'll have a 1080p screen, but that seems unlikely due to cost/battery life.

Krowley

No, because the rumor states that the device is powerful enough to run better-than-Wii-U quality games at 1080p, so there's no reason to turn down settings for that resolution. Games will be designed for 1080p and then downconverted for the lower-res handheld screen. Either that or it'll have a 1080p screen, but that seems unlikely due to cost/battery life.

Yes. I will be shocked if it doesn't work like this. There's no way Nintendo will allow a situation where the next zelda doesn't look equal or better running on a TV with the NX compared to Wii U.

thefro

Meltdown incoming in T-minus 9... 8... 7... 6...

Someone not having heard anything about it is different from someone saying this feature doesn't exist.

And in theory you could clock up the processor a bit just with an OS update (obviously you'd want a small fan while docked ideally, but surely you can get it to pull 10W docked without a fan without it catching on fire ).

MuchoMalo

Banned

So then, we'll have a bunch of wasted battery life in handheld mode when they could have simply downclocked it in handheld mode to maximize battery life at whatever resolution the screen is?

Are you starting to see the issue here? I didn't explain myself well due to being half asleep, but the choices are upscaled 720p or 30% worse battery life for no reason. The chip is being used extremely inefficiently if it doesn't downclock in handheld mode. It makes no logical sense to do things this way, and it just amounts to laziness and incompetence.

Someone not having heard anything about it is different from someone saying this feature doesn't exist.

And in theory you could clock up the processor a bit just with an OS update (obviously you'd want a small fan while docked ideally, but surely you can get it to pull 10W docked without a fan without it catching on fire ).

Most mobile heatsinks top out at 5W.

Krowley

Zelda on wiiU isn't 1080p

Ahh, haven't been keeping up that close..

Anyway, the basic point remains. Zelda NX won't look worse on a TV set. I don't believe it for a minute. It may not look drastically better (I suspect it's exactly the same game) but it shouldn't look any worse. So the Wii U version won't be the "definitive" version, as someone on the last page said.

AzaK

So then, we'll have a bunch of wasted battery life in handheld mode when they could have simply downclocked it in handheld mode to maximize battery life at whatever resolution the screen is?

Are you starting to see the issue here? I didn't explain myself well due to being half asleep, but the choices are upscaled 720p or 30% worse battery life for no reason. The chip is being used extremely inefficiently if it doesn't downclock in handheld mode. It makes no logical sense to do things this way, and it just amounts to laziness and incompetence.

It's not that it isn't downclocked in HH mode. It might just not be UPclocked in docked mode. That is, to achieve an acceptable framerate at a level of fidelity they hit X clock speed. And after that they don't bother up-clocking it when docked.

Nintendo could just say "We'll do 720" all around and be done with it. 720 to being too much overkill for HH more, and being acceptable for console mode.

Or, if Nintendo has given away the home console market, they'll just hit 540 and upscale but that would seem extremely stupid, even for Nintendo.

Eradicate

To people talking about VR: Google "Nvidia Simultaneous Multi-projection" and "Lens Matched Shading"

Oh, pretty cool! Also seeing that their VR Works SDK ties into UE4 is promising as well!

Yeah, I mean, it may not stack up to the big boy VR, but since they already have a screen with powerful processors and sensors using it like that could be a very low cost entry point to VR for many people, and still miles above Cardboard/GearVR. Especially with the detachable controllers! That may just work out...Pascal is also well suited to VR and takes much less of a performance hit from it with SMP/SMS and lens matching.

I didn't know that about Pascal's suitability to VR! I guess it makes sense tying in with that VR Works stuff!

Maybe there will be some basic VR stuff they do with it, but I can see them focusing a bit more on AR or other "mixed R" type of stuff predominantly. Buuut, with those "multiple form factors," nothing stopping an advanced NX version geared towards a better VR experience for those wanting it!

I actually did a little detective work on PixArt after the rumors that they were again partnering w/ Nintendo for NX and it turns out they were working closely w/ Google on Glass. I don't think there's anything to see there, but you never know. The "Multiple Object Tracking Sensor" is what's used for Wii's IR pointer.

PixArt makes everything from object tracking tech to CMOS Heart Rate Monitors. Vitality sensor here we come!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were still involved somehow. If Nintendo could make a vitality sensor that doesn't require you to actually stick your finger in something, it could work. PixArt do offer a green LED type sensor for pulse oximeters, which is apparently better than red LED.

True, they have a ton of sensors, and they've been a partner for a long time. I know of one confirmed sensor they are working on though for NX having followed them for a while and reading a bunch of their news:
joystick
. So, they are working with them on at least that, but I bet there are more! And, they aren't the only sensor game in town either!

The NX has to have something special - every single Nintendo console has had one since forever. Two screens, 3D with no glasses, motion controls, display on the tablet, etc.

Leap Motion style hand tracking is pretty cool and already proven out technically. And it's not being done by any of the other consoles or by the VR headsets right now. For awhile I've thought this makes sense as the NX special thing. It's probably pretty cheap as a couple of cameras and LEDs. And it's something you have to have close to you, like within 3 or 4 feet, which aligns just fine with a portable system.

See, Leap Motion is pretty darn cool! Like you said, it's been out for a while and there are some neat gaming-related things you could do with it! It also uses IR (right?) which they have experience with. I just looked into them a little bit ago and it seems they are trying (maybe successfully once?) to embed the hardware onto chips so you don't need to have the big bar; I guess you'd just need the IR related components and it'll work!

I think Leap Motion's (and Nintendo's) idea of getting closer to what your doing is incredible, and is really cool for games as well! I can definitely see that sort of approach being a part of NX since it's intuitive, unique, affordable, and proven.

It's just cool thinking up what they may do. I can't wait to see what it is!

MuchoMalo

Banned
It's not that it isn't downclocked in HH mode. It might just not be UPclocked in docked mode. That is, to achieve an acceptable framerate at a level of fidelity they hit X clock speed. And after that they don't bother up-clocking it when docked.

Nintendo could just say "We'll do 720" all around and be done with it. 720 to being too much overkill for HH more, and being acceptable for console mode.

Or, if Nintendo has given away the home console market, they'll just hit 540 and upscale but that would seem extremely stupid, even for Nintendo.

Is 720p going to be considered acceptable for "console" 6 years from now, though? Or even two years? It'll look like blurry dookie, and the console mode will basically be a waste. I'd prefer if Nintendo would pick a single direction for their hardware and be done with it, but instead we're likely just getting something pretty half-assed. :/ I'm also concerned that this won't actually even be more powerful than Wii U since the console portion sounds neglected other than a really shitty sounding controller.

Ahh, haven't been keeping up that close..

Anyway, the basic point remains. Zelda NX won't look worse on a TV set. I don't believe it for a minute. It may not look drastically better (I suspect it's exactly the same game) but it shouldn't look any worse. So the Wii U version won't be the "definitive" version, as someone on the last page said.

It may not look worse than the Wii U version (assuming NX is more powerful than Wii U), but it sure as hell will look worse on a TV than on the handheld's screen. If they sell the dock separately, I may not even buy it.

Also, $200 is definitely the max I'm willing to pay for something like this.

I think Nintendo is doing what you want them to do. I will try to explain my self better:

1) The dock doesn't do anything because the handheld is powerful enough to deliver 1080p graphics equal or better than Wiiu, but worse than PS4. Even thou is weaker it supports Vulkan so modern engines can run on it.

2) When in handheld mode, it under clocks so it outputs the same visuals but at 540p, so it can have good battery time.

Thats why people are hearing that the dock doesn't do anything.

About the controllers:

1) The NX has at least the same buttons as a Wii U pro controllers, because Zelda is playable on both Wiiu and NX. All Nintendo has to do is to rebrand the Wii U Pro controller as a NX Pro controller.

2) If you find the handheld ergonomic, you don't need anything.

3) If you want to mostly play at home, just use a Wii U Pro controller or buy a NX Pro controller.

Dude, just because lherre didn't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Relax and think rationally.

Perhaps the default for devs is "dock mode", considering that most of the leaks doesn't say anything about the screen for the system and that the raw power sounds as if it is higher than what you would have in a normal handheld (X1s with a loud fan)). In handheld mode, maybe it is designed to seamlessly downclock the GPU/CPU without too much effort from the devs.

Either way, it's too soon to say how this system will end up.

KAL2006

Banned
I think games will be targeted at 720p and some games will be targeted at 900p/1080p similar to the Wii U perhaps with a few more 900p/1080p games. Developers then just downscale the visuals to 540p when played on the portable to save battery life. Games can be still have a resolution at higher resolution than 540p in portable mode but it would just be a waste of processing power and waste of battery life as the screen only supports 540p, this is a why for Nintendo to ensure the portable has decent battery life.

So in conclusion
We won't get 540p upscale in dock mode
We will get games targeted at higher resolution and then downscaled for Portable.

Dude, just because lherre didn't hear about it doesn't seem it doesn't exist.

Perhaps the default for devs is "dock mode", considering that most of the leaks doesn't say anything about the screen for the system and that the raw power sounds as if it is higher than what you would have in a normal handheld (X1s with a loud fan)). In handheld mode, maybe it is designed to seamlessly downclock the GPU/CPU without too much effort from the devs.

That would explain why it has a fan. Devs must aim for the 1080p dock version. Handheld version is doing automatically for them.

I think games will be targeted at 720p and some games will be targeted at 900p/1080p similar to the Wii U perhaps with a few more 900p/1080p games. Developers then just downscale the visuals to 540p when played on the portable to save battery life. Games can be still have a resolution at higher resolution than 540p in portable mode but it would just be a waste of processing power and waste of battery life as the screen only supports 540p, this is a why for Nintendo to ensure the portable has decent battery life.

So in conclusion
We won't get 540p upscale in dock mode
We will get games targeted at higher resolution and then downscaled for Portable.

Yes, that explanation matches what everyone has said:

1) Easy to port Machine
2) More powerful than Wii U
3) technology leading chips

etc etc

Oh, pretty cool! Also seeing that their VR Works SDK ties into UE4 is promising as well!

I didn't know that about Pascal's suitability to VR! I guess it makes sense tying in with that VR Works stuff!

Maybe there will be some basic VR stuff they do with it, but I can see them focusing a bit more on AR or other "mixed R" type of stuff predominantly. Buuut, with those "multiple form factors," nothing stopping an advanced NX version geared towards a better VR experience for those wanting it!

True, they have a ton of sensors, and they've been a partner for a long time. I know of one confirmed sensor they are working on though for NX having followed them for a while and reading a bunch of their news:
joystick
. So, they are working with them on at least that, but I bet there are more! And, they aren't the only sensor game in town either!

See, Leap Motion is pretty darn cool! Like you said, it's been out for a while and there are some neat gaming-related things you could do with it! It also uses IR (right?) which they have experience with. I just looked into them a little bit ago and it seems they are trying (maybe successfully once?) to embed the hardware onto chips so you don't need to have the big bar; I guess you'd just need the IR related components and it'll work!

I think Leap Motion's (and Nintendo's) idea of getting closer to what your doing is incredible, and is really cool for games as well! I can definitely see that sort of approach being a part of NX since it's intuitive, unique, affordable, and proven.

It's just cool thinking up what they may do. I can't wait to see what it is!

I see it clearly now...

LEAP MOTION is the gimmick... its just perfect for local multiplayer on the go and it matches Nintendo patents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA

MuchoMalo

Banned
That would explain why it has a fan. Devs must aim for the 1080p dock version. Handheld version is doing automatically for them.

Yes, that explanation matches what everyone has said:

1) Easy to port Machine
2) More powerful than Wii U
3) technology leading chips

etc etc

Ghosttrick suggested before that it might just be using a Jetson dev board, which comes with a small, cheap fan. It also might be that the final version is using Pascal at higher clocks than would be possible for the X1 in a handheld and is using the fan a a precaution to prevent throttling.

3) If you want to mostly play at home, just use a Wii U Pro controller or buy a NX Pro controller.

You're assuming that this will even be an option.

the meltdown wasn't for me...

Me right now:

ozfunghi

the meltdown wasn't for me...

Ghosttrick suggested before that it might just be using a Jetson dev board, which comes with a small, cheap fan. It also might be that the final version is using Pascal at higher clocks than would be possible for the X1 in a handheld and is using the fan a a precaution to prevent throttling.

You're assuming that this will even be an option.

Me right now:

why wouldnt it an option? the controller is already designed and manufactured. It is compatible since wii u and nx have the same buttons distributions.

Dude, just because lherre didn't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Relax and think rationally.

Either way, it's too soon to say how this system will end up.

This would make a lot of sense. Eurogamer didn't report that the TX1 was downclocked, and suggested that the loud fan indicates overclocked, so at the very least they seemed to imply that it was running at full clocks. Could the power efficiency savings of Pascal really allow full to overclocked TX1 performance with 2W or under? I'm genuinely asking.

If not, then there is almost no way this device doesn't have two power levels, assuming it is a battery operated portable. Iherre (lherre?) hasn't heard about two power levels but this doesn't mean they don't exist, he even said so himself.

KAL2006

Banned
Can we assume Nintendo will be ready to reveal after the Hot Chips event when NVIDIA will be revealing the Tegra X2. I think it's the end of August. This would he in line with September reveal

Well, there it is. This is in no way, shape, or form a hybrid, and if Nintendo advertises it as such they honestly deserve to be sued for false advertising. What a joke of a company.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on GAF.
The product does not exist yet. Nothing has been marketed. Nothing has been confirmed. How could they be sued for false advertising if there ISN'T any advertising!?
I'm hoping I'm misreading and this was a joke post...

Andyliini

Wow, so now people are calling Nintendo a bunch of liars because some rumours aren't exactly what Iwata hinted at 2-4 year prior. I wonder what they thought of Kutaragi's comments, by calling PS2 a supercomputer. Or was it PS3, I forget.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The product does not exist yet. Nothing has been marketed. Nothing has been confirmed. How could they be sued for false advertising if there ISN'T any advertising!?

"if"

Can we assume Nintendo will be ready to reveal after the Hot Chips event when NVIDIA will be revealing the Tegra X2. I think it's the end of August. This would he in line with September reveal

I have to admit that the timing, the obvious delay of the NX, and the obvious delay of Tegra-Next's full reveal (you'd normally expect that very early in the year) make for one hell of a coincidence, along with the timing of the leaks.

This would make a lot of sense. Eurogamer didn't report that the TX1 was downclocked, and suggested that the loud fan indicates overclocked, so at the very least they seemed to imply that it was running at full clocks. Could the power efficiency savings of Pascal really allow full to overclocked TX1 performance with 2W or under? I'm genuinely asking.

If not, then there is almost no way this device doesn't have two power levels, assuming it is a battery operated portable. Iherre (lherre?) hasn't heard about two power levels but this doesn't mean they don't exist, he even said so himself.

Whatever the chip can do Nintendo will under clock the handheld mode to save battery.

KAL2006

Banned

Even if the system is just a tablet with HDMI out why shouldn't they be allowed to be able to market this as a hybrid. If the HDMI out is seamless and everything works on the TV as it would for a normal console with full controller support as well as games, apps, and OS working with the TV. What is the issue of Nintendo marketing this as a hybrid. Also if Nintendo also decided to only make games for this system and not have another console then I don't see the issue. It's quite obvious Nintendo home console sales have been on a downward spiral since N64 save for the lightning in a bottle which is the Wii. I don't blame Nintendo skimping on realising a full home console and going all in with this handheld TV out approach just as long as we continue to get the console games we all love and not just handheld caliber games like Pokemon and 2D Zelda. With handhelds getting so powerful these days I don't mind if Nintendo target Wii U level power if I wanted that full next gen experience I'd just play on my PS4. Demanding Nintendo to release a proper home console when it is likely to fail doesn't make sense. Yes people will be dissapointed that Nintendo did not go the traditional route but I don't blame Nintendo at all, I think it's time people accept it and move on instead of calling Nintendo out as I'm sure if you had to make a business decision if you were in control of Nintendo this would be the best bet save for going 3rd party for mobiles and other consoles.

The device could have different powerlevels while the devkits won´t. Perhaps the software and hardware would scale it down automatically in the end?. I don´t believe they have to program 2 versions.

KAL2006

Banned
maybe they will reveal it at Hot Chips!!

I seriously doubt it. It's a NVIDIA event. They will be focusing on highlighting their chip for everything. At most we may get is they have a brief moment where they state a custom version of the chip will be made for Nintendo's next system. If we are lucky Nintendo may have their own press release about the NX in the same day. Something like "Nintendo are pleased to announce Nintendo X, the next generation of games console where you can play at home or on the Go, powered by the latest mobile processor"

LordOfChaos

(X1s with a loud fan)

Kinda think people are putting way too much weight into this still. Dev kits don't just power the game, they have to concurrently run analytics tools. And they'd want to be reliable and not throttle back performance. Especially with how much more than commodity hardware they cost, they are overbuilt. And likely not with designs that care about fan noise like consumer hardware.

Not saying I believe it'll be less powerful than the X1, but this fan thing that keeps coming up, I wouldn't weight that in either direction.

maybe they will reveal it at Hot Chips!!

That'd be the day! Then we'd know Nintendo is really different this time, lol

MuchoMalo

Banned
Kinda think people are putting way too much weight into this still. Dev kits don't just power the game, they have to concurrently run analytics tools. And they'd want to be reliable and not throttle back performance. Especially with how much more than commodity hardware they cost, they are overbuilt. And likely not with designs that care about fan noise like consumer hardware.

Not saying I believe it'll be less powerful than the X1, but this fan thing that keeps coming up, I wouldn't weight that in either direction.

While I mostly agree, I don't think that it's true that dev kits are more powerful than retail hardware.

I think some people take this things/threads too much seriously.

Wii U Threads were much more dramatic^^ Did you hear something more specific on the powerlevel? Eurogamer talked about a Tegra X1 not indicating that it would be downclocked. If it´s better than Wii U i can live with that. And perhaps Nintendo will release a console later, with fits in the NX Family (not getting my hopes to high, but it´s not impossible).

Wii U Threads were much more dramatic^^ Did you hear something more specific on the powerlevel? Eurogamer talked about a Tegra X1 not indicating that it would be downclocked. If it´s better than Wii U i can live with that. And perhaps Nintendo will release a console later, with fits in the NX Family (not getting my hopes to high, but it´s not impossible).

If they see demand it would be so cheap for them. Take the nx handheld, remove the screen and battery, and bundle a Nx controller.

Rncewind

Well my disappointment was about power too (if my sources are true) since you can't have a PS4 or XB1 on a HH device as you can guess. Obviously for a HH is a good power but very far for a home console. But I repeat if the sources are true since everything is not set in stone.

In fact I didn't heard anything about different modes (i mean that when docked anything changes). So for a home console I see that power (if true) a great disappointment.

But I understand that for Nintendo it's the best scenario since they are unable to maintain 2 consoles at the same time when they changed to HD development as we saw with 3ds/Wiiu.

so its gonna be a handheld with a hmdi port, who had thought

oh i have

If (and I still doubt this will be the case) there is only the portable power level, I wonder if Nintendo would go full inverse Wii U with the portable streaming to a base unit, rather than being manually inserted into the dock. Perhaps the current devkit doesn't have that feature, and it would solve the problem of being unable to play touch screen games on the TV. Hopefully if they go that route the streaming tech has gotten drastically cheaper.

Kimawolf

I think some people take this things/threads too much seriously.
Muchomalo is very... excitable. But you lit a fire and set them off much more since you have genuine connections which are real. Any hint of negativity drives him off a cliff.

Im still optimistic it will be a little powerhouse personally, but to me it's all fun, from the speculation to the highest highs and lows to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom