• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo on E3: "..announcements in a new way that we have not tried before"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be like that horribly boring event with Moffitt last year probably. Sounds like Nintendo are bowing out of the big game to avoid comparisons with MS/Sony. They probably don't have many new game announcements, so we'll sit through extended demonstrations of a handful.

I don't like it. Nintendo have lost their balls.

Striek

So expect very little new news, playable demos of what they've already announced?

Regular Nintendo Directs might just be a smarter option than a big E3 blowout...but still, I'll miss Nintendo's conference.

Hiltz

Maybe it will be done in a similar way to how Nintendo allowed the E3 audience to try out the 3DS and Skyward Sword shortly after they were announced.

Darryl

Banned
it's probably going to be exactly like the Zelda:LTTP announcement in this case. they were probably running that as a test to see if it'd work. having no live conference lets them skip reggie/scotts inability to get people excited about their games.

Salsa

E3 conferences are whatever anyway. Circlejerk about how awesome they are while trying to adress press/analysts/investors all in the same way

having a different way to present announcements to different people with different needs is really smart if done accordingly

that said, everyone will see this as "OMG NO E3 NINTENDOOMED" and you cant really blame them. Quite a shake up

Effect

In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.e.

If true that might be an interesting experiment. Why just have one day when you can try and control the news cycle the entire week by possibly having multiple Nintendo Directs each day. Putting up the demos on the eShop possible as well would be a good idea for the press and hardware owners (who can then show the game to friends without the system).

Someone should find that post last year about how E3 is going to be less and less important for Nintendo.

Whoever wrote that sure was a smart fellow.

Scum

No conference? Ha! I've had this thought that they might either have a Nintendo Direct-esque setup or have a rolling reel of footage after footage of the upcoming games and then just usher people off to the demos afterwards.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I knew it.
For me, it was clear that Nintendo couldn't care less about E3 when they saved the 3DS XL and Namco working on Smash megatons for the Nintendo Direct two weeks after E3 last year.

E3 is dead. Long live Nintendo Direct.

Mistle

In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.e.

Whoa, seriously?

E3 conferences are whatever anyway. Circlejerk about how awesome they are while trying to adress press/analysts/investors all in the same way

having a different way to present announcements to different people with different needs is really smart if done accordingly

that said, everyone will see this as "OMG NO E3 NINTENDOOMED"
pretty much

DaBoss

My guess is that they're doing this because of a lack of game announcements.

lIAemy5.jpg

MisterHero

that said, everyone will see this as "OMG NO E3 NINTENDOOMED"
Nintendo's most important E3 conferences were behind closed doors, like Smash Bros. Brawl. Sakurai might not even be ready this year.

The gaming press would not like that one bit. Could you imaging how many hits and clicks their sites would lose?

On the contrary, rather than clicking once to watch the show, you'll have to click many videos/articles to get impressions and footage of everything you want to see.
Besides, can Nintendo really fit everything on 3DS and Wii U into one show, or would they have to split them up like they did last year? Then most people only watch the first "actual" conference while the secondary conference is ignored.

In any case, Nintendo doesn't need E3. The Nintendo Directs are like mini E3s every couple of months.

Tagg9

Doesn't make a lot of sense, though. They specifically said that Mario Kart, 3D Mario, and Smash Bros. would be shown at E3.

Sandfox

I don't know how they'd get press without a flashy E3 blowout, Nextbox and PS4 are lurking and they shy away like a puppy in a crowded room.

They're still going to have a presence at E3.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, though. They specifically said that Mario Kart, 3D Mario, and Smash Bros. would be shown at E3.

They're going to be at E3 but its not going to be like what we are used to.

Updated translation:

以前は、この決算説明会の場で、製品に関する新情報などもお伝えして、それをインターネットで動画配信することも行ってきましたが、Nintendo Directのような新たな手法が確立した今、それぞれの異なる立場の皆様に、個別に情報発信を行うことにより、より的確で効果的な情報発信ができるのではないかと考えています。

まず、例年のような世界中の皆様に向けた全方位向けの、新しいニュースを発信するような大規模プレゼンテーションを行わないことにいたしました。それに替わり、より小規模な米国向けソフトに焦点を当てた複数のイベントを計画しております。そのうちのひとつは米国流通関係者の皆様向けのクローズドなイベントで、もうひとつは、主に西洋のゲームメディアの皆様を対象としたクローズドな体験型のイベントです。また、私は昨年の「プレゼンテーション」に登壇しませんでしたが、今年もこれらのイベントに登壇する予定はしておりません。これらクローズドな来場者向けイベント以外に、E3の時期に当社からゲーム情報をご家庭におられるプレイヤーの皆様に直接お届けする新しい方法を継続して検討中ですので、決定次第、改めてお知らせしてまいります。

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market. One of these will be a closed event for distributors, and another will be a closed event for the Western press. I did not appear in last year's E3 presentation, and I do not intend to appear in these events either. Apart from these closed events, during E3, we are deliberating how to deliver game information to those at home using new methods, so we will announce further plans later.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

emb

I guess this is the price for all those awesome Directs throughout the last year or so. Guess that's that.

I'm holding out hope that they basically do the same thing, but with the format of a Direct. That said, it just won't be the same. Though I don't know what other 'new way' could possibly be that wouldn't be a huge downgrade from a real e3 conference. If they've never tried it before, it can't just be a direct in place of the conference...

In clear words: Nintendo, why'd you have to steal Christmas?

Darryl

Banned
we're still probably gonna get our hour long footage of new shit guys. there are too many people willing to tune in for them to skip that. it'll just be iwata in a luigi hat in front of a camera and not live hiphop dancers.

I knew it.
For me, it was clear that Nintendo couldn't care less about E3 when they saved the 3DS XL and Namco working on Smash megatons for the Nintendo Direct two weeks after E3 last year.

E3 is dead. Long live Nintendo Direct.

Seriously. You guys didn't think that these bountiful Nintendo directs throughout the year didn't have a cost? Nintendo doesn't have an infinite number of announcements. They're just spread out throughout the year now.

Salsa

Nintendo's most important E3 conferences were behind closed doors, like Smash Bros. Brawl. Sakurai might not even be ready this year.

I dont take this announcement as them not doing the behind the doors thing though, quite the opposite

it's probably ALL that + Nintendo Direct targeted to just gamers

RPGamer92

Banned
Thinking about it more, I may prefer just a Nintendo Direct for announcements rather than a traditional E3 conference just to get away from stuff like sales graph and awkward people talking to the audience. Just put Iwata, Reggie, and Miyamoto in it with several game announcements and they should be good.

royalan

If Nintendo skips E3 I think it'll be disastrous for their image here in the States.

And it would basically be them bowing out of trying to appeal to western 3rd parties.

I don't like this new isolationist Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom