• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo on E3: "..announcements in a new way that we have not tried before"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Every seat that an attendee of the conference is sitting in will have a Wii U!

EDIT: Hmm appears like they won't even have a conference??

In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.e.

I F**KING CALLED IT!!!!!

*gloat dance gloat dance*

Honestly, as I've said many times when this subject came up that if Nintendo was smart they'd go this route. Why compete for attention at e3 when you can get ALL of the press attention a week before or a week after E3?

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market.

but

smash 4

(The reveal is supposed to be as theatrically bombastic as possible!)

Meelow

Banned
If Nintendo skips E3 I think it'll be disastrous for their image here in the States.

And it would basically be them bowing out of trying to appeal to western 3rd parties.

I don't like this new isolationist Nintendo.

Western will get mad because Nintendo will have a Nintendo Direct instead of a E3 conference?

Even Microsoft doesn't care for E3 anymore.

The big 3 conferences has now been reduced to Sony/MS? Or will Nintendo just not hold a major conference like normal?

Most likely huge Nintendo Direct.

Spongebob

Banned
lIAemy5.jpg
My guess is that they're doing this because of a lack of game announcements.

There's been no indication Nintendo is skipping E3. They expressly say several times they are going to be there.

They are saying they probably (definitely?) are not having one big press conference and are instead doing a bunch of different ones throughout the week that resemble press events more.

While I'll miss Nintendo-hype levels rising for E3, I'm okay with the idea of multiple Nintendo Directs throughout the show and beyond to give us hotness. It's not like I care about sales data and things like that anyway. Show me the games.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

MisterHero

I dont take this announcement as them not doing the behind the doors thing though, quite the opposite

it's probably ALL that + Nintendo Direct targeted to just gamers
Definitely. As someone just updated, Iwata definitely wants to keep behind-doors events.

Because of Iwata's lack of E3 presence last year, I imagined him doing previews of new products from a bunker in NCL. That might be true now. :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not sure if i like it.

But if that means less stupid conference where they spend 30 mins promoting some casual game, then go for it I guess.

Effect

Updated translation:

In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market. One of these will be a closed event for distributors, and another will be a closed event for the Western press. I did not appear in last year's E3 presentation, and I do not intend to appear in these events either. Apart from these closed events, during E3, we are deliberating how to deliver game information to those at home using new methods, so we will announce further plans later.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Wow. This is actually amazing. Get away from the chaotic show floor and let the press and retailers play the games in ideal environments where they can likely be catered to. For the home audience I won't be surprised if there are a series of Nintendo Directs either live with Iwata or pre-recorded (on the web and on the eShop) with demos going up on the eShop for a short amount of time. Letting you experience what the games will really be like in your own home so you can make up your own mind free of outside influence.

Why the hell are they targeting an American audience for E3?

Isn't E3 a global event and should be used to show off your whole catalog for the year? Why limit the titles you show off?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't know how they'd get press without a flashy E3 blowout, Nextbox and PS4 are lurking and they shy away like a puppy in a crowded room.

Yeah this is why not having a conference is insane. Even if you think the conference is pointless, which it is to an extent, they still garner lots of attention and discussion from both the media and the people watching it.

They generate hype for previously unannounced titles, games like Watch Dogs and what not. They were already struggling to garner attention now. It's going to be really bad at E3 unless they have something drastic planned.

And if they had some big announcements they'd want all those eyeballs tuning in. I don't think its unreasonable to guess they don't have them.

Didn't you guys read the updated translation about looking into methods to getting new title information directly to consumers? This is a good thing! They're cutting out the middle man. Maybe we'll even get to play the "e3" demos at home.

Updated translation again:

以前は、この決算説明会の場で、製品に関する新情報などもお伝えして、それをインターネットで動画配信することも行ってきましたが、Nintendo Directのような新たな手法が確立した今、それぞれの異なる立場の皆様に、個別に情報発信を行うことにより、より的確で効果的な情報発信ができるのではないかと考えています。

まず、例年のような世界中の皆様に向けた全方位向けの、新しいニュースを発信するような大規模プレゼンテーションを行わないことにいたしました。それに替わり、より小規模な米国向けソフトに焦点を当てた複数のイベントを計画しております。そのうちのひとつは米国流通関係者の皆様向けのクローズドなイベントで、もうひとつは、主に西洋のゲームメディアの皆様を対象としたクローズドな体験型のイベントです。また、私は昨年の「プレゼンテーション」に登壇しませんでしたが、今年もこれらのイベントに登壇する予定はしておりません。これらクローズドな来場者向けイベント以外に、E3の時期に当社からゲーム情報をご家庭におられるプレイヤーの皆様に直接お届けする新しい方法を継続して検討中ですので、決定次第、改めてお知らせしてまいります。

本日ご出席いただいている皆様を含んだ日本の皆様に対しては、Nintendo Directなどの当社のダイレクトコミュニケーション手段を通じて、E3のタイミングに合わせて海外と同時に、日本でこれから発売していく予定のソフトを中心とした情報発信を予定しておりますので、よろしくお願いいたします。

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market. One of these will be a closed event for distributors, and another will be a closed event for the Western press. I did not appear in last year's E3 presentation, and I do not intend to appear in these events either. Apart from these closed events, during E3, we are deliberating how to deliver game information to those at home using new methods, so we will announce further plans later.

Including those of you here today, for the people of Japan, we will be using direct communication, with things like Nintendo Direct, during E3 and at the same time as overseas to announce our plans and information regarding titles releasing in Japan, so please look out for more information.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Pyrokai

I trust they know what they're doing here, but I will certainly miss the onslaught of announcements in one chunk. It will be a sad E3 for me this year.

Maybe they'll announce things sooner via Nintendo Direct though. Less waiting!!!

why would they skip e3

I fucking can't

putting on a great show there would do wonders for the Wii U's image

Because E3 costs them millions of dollars and it used to be the only realistic way to hype up your upcoming holiday releases... Nintendo tried the ND format, it's worked out wonderfully and instead of having to spend millions creating a giant spectacle, they can spend probably half that and get the information out more effectively and without having to compete with Sony and Microsoft at E3.

They also, you know, have done this for years in some form or another.

Brawl was revealed in a smaller conference with mostly western press the day after the E3 conference. The "I am making Pikmin 3" thing was a question from Chris Remo the day after their main conference. Last year they had a separate, though definitely uninteresting, 3DS conference a day or two after the main one.

This appears to be the same idea but without a main one, just other ones.

Hiltz

Safe bet. Unlikely third party support is secretly gathering steam behind the scenes.

This is the last straw for me. I want Iwata out.

For what its worth, earlier this year, Iwata did say that there's still some unannounced titles for a planned 2013 release. By the way, this came after January's Nintendo Direct.

Riposte

I just hope this means at the end they don't say "and one more thing.... FIREWERKS IN DIS GAME WE ALREADY SHOWED YOU HURRRRRR"

Tuck

No E3 event?

But... they'll be doing something that week right?

Oh dear. I want my 3DS and Wii U news damn it!

EDIT: Oh they'll still be doing E3 stuff. Cool.

E3 is becoming irrelevant for everyone.

BF4 unveiled before E3.
PS4 unveiled before E3
720 unveiled before E3.

It's just becoming more and more irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom