• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patents Projector That Displays Flat Images On Uneven Surfaces

Fredrik

See how most Nintendo games are made for multiplayer? Well, go back to school and remember recess. You got the new NX with super Smash Bros and you and your friend are itching to play, but you only got one NX and of course there are not TV's near.

You detach the two sides of the NX and turn into controllers and activate the projector and Smash NX is now on the wall, while you and your friend have their own controller.
This is a fan dream scenario and just like the dreams of all the possibilities of Wii and WiiU it's very likely that it won't become reality.

Taker666

The major reason this is unlikely as standard would be price. Don't go expecting it to be 1080p if it does have one..240p/360p is most likely.

Oh shit that is awesome D8, so this can pretty much project anywhere, right? Smash parties are going to be even greater now if we go TV-Less, no more "lag" excuses.

People will always find a lag excuse in smash.

They'll say the surface is causing the projector to lag or some other craziness. Never underestimate a smash player's ability to deflect the blame to something else.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Most people don't have an 80" TV they can take with them wherever they go, and project on a wall at the DMV for some great multiplayer "couch" gaming...

See how most Nintendo games are made for multiplayer? Well, go back to school and remember recess. You got the new NX with super Smash Bros and you and your friend are itching to play, but you only got one NX and of course there are not TV's near.

You detach the two sides of the NX and turn into controllers and activate the projector and Smash NX is now on the wall, while you and your friend have their own controller.

While I see the point you're going for, I guess I'm not the kind of person to want to play video games on walls in public places. Seems like it would be kind of disruptive to the other people nearby and I'd worry about people walking in front of the projector. However, if you would actually use it, I hope it's an option for you at some point, either because it's built-in or it's an attachment.

Hmm... Augmented reality where the controller is a flashlight(projector) that projects images... It would need a couple of cameras to detect objects in three dimensional space and adjust the image accordingly.

SalvaPot

While I see the point you're going for, I guess I'm not the kind of person to want to play video games on walls in public places. Seems like it would be kind of disruptive to the other people nearby and I'd worry about people walking in front of the projector. However, if you would actually use it, I hope it's an option for you at some point, either because it's built-in or it's an attachment.

Yeah, this one is probably a extrovert person feature. If you have a good TV and mostly play by yourself a projector is not a big deal. But its a cool feature to have.

For example, I never "got" 3D because I can only see properly with one of my eyes, so the effect is lost in me. Its still something cool to show off to people who can enjoy it. Same with a projector, is the kind of stuff that will get people to say "Wow you can DO THAT."

Fredrik

A projector means I don't have to carry TV's to run Smash tournaments.
It's great in theory but in reality I just think that something will prevent you from doing this anyway. Either there won't be a Smash NX or it'll be crap or the detachable controllers will have too few inputs or the projector lamp won't be bright enough or the battery life will be 30 minutes in projector mode or the resolution will be 240p or whatever. I'm sorry to be such a party pooper but I'm just going by past scenarios where these early dreams of new Nintendo tech possibilities usually don't become reality.

Mariolee

And what do you know. There was also patents of removable controllers.

media1.gameinformer.comfilestorageCommunityServer.Components.SiteFilesimagefeedfeaturednintendo2016patentPatent02-045d00ac0ba2ca2872a80c25e7b04278b1abac15.png

nintendoattach-610_efsf.jpg

Whoa do we have a separate thread about this? This is the first time we've seen these patents, correct?

majik13

This is probably find be used mostly at conventions and such so they can project stuff anywhere they want without having to take every nook and cranny into account.

Don't expect this to be used for anything home video game related in the future.

If its designed to track the perspective of the viewer and considering the trick can only work from 1 specific angle. Would be challenging to use the tech effectivly at a large convention. But could possibly be useful still.

SalvaPot

It's great in theory but in reality I just think that something will prevent you from doing this anyway. Either there won't be a Smash NX or it'll be crap or the detachable controllers will have too few inputs or the projector lamp won't be bright enough or the battery life will be 30 minutes in projector mode or the resolution will be 240p or whatever. I'm sorry to be such a party pooper but I'm just going by past scenarios where these early dreams of new Nintendo tech possibilities usually don't become reality.

Great points, lets see if I can work around them.

If it has two USB ports as rumored (And Smash NX is just a enhanced port of Smash 4), then it makes sense it will support Gamecube controllers.

Battery life easily solvable by connecting the console to a power supply.

The light not been bright enough is the hardest one to solve if you are not indoors, but if it has a "Projector mode" that changes the colors to make it easier to pop out, eh, could work. But if the light IS bright enough then there is no problem at all.

The resolution is something I don't really care about, as long as it runs smoothly. I have played Smash 4 tournaments in CRT's before.

TLZ

Banned
Most people are spazzy enough that they can't even hold their 3DS steady to see the 3D effect (prior to N3DS), so I imagine a projector would be problematic if it was shining from the handheld itself. "Keep your hands still!"

You don't hold it. You put it down and connect a controller to it. :)

You know how handhelds are hard to play with friends if you have to take turns? Imagine with the NX, you can play from the screen, and the image is also projected onto the wall or something, and all your friend needs is a wireless controller to join you!

Or even something as simple as being a spectator. Your kids brother doesn't have to lean over to watch you play. You just project the image, and he can watch you play without leaning over you to see.

And of course, you can just set the damn thing down anywhere to play when used as a portable.

I wonder how clear is the image if you play outside in the sun though. would be crappy if the sunlight overpowers the brightness of your projection.

Also, doesn't being a projector make this device a hybrid!? That means the device can instantly transform into one of the other if the projector is built in, and not part of the dock or something.

Most people are spazzy enough that they can't even hold their 3DS steady to see the 3D effect (prior to N3DS), so I imagine a projector would be problematic if it was shining from the handheld itself. "Keep your hands still!"

Gyro stabilizers.

convo

I thought this type of projector existed already? Could have sworn there were some that could use corners of the room.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is a very neat idea. Maybe Nintendo will get into the projector business.

On the NX side, I can't wait to read so many posts suggesting that NX will include a projector that costs $300 on its own. Or it's a fancy crap.

StayDead

I have no idea how this projector would even work (too early for me to work out what the words in the OP actually means), but the idea of it sounds amazing o_O

Chittagong

Gold Member
NX is Schrodinger's Console.

It currently exists in a super position where it is both a handheld and a portable, has projectors and controller attachments, supplemental computing units and vitality sensors, Nvdia chips and AMD chips, scroll wheel triggers and regular triggers, right analog stick above and below the action buttons, split d pad and regular d pad.

Once NX is finally observed the wave function collapses.

TLZ

Banned
Quick observation before bed:

Emily Rogers made a "tiny update" to her blog on September 20th. It reads,

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/ (Bottom of page)

MEGACHIPS CORPORATION is the co-assignee of this patent.

Just don't tell us she knew about this already. She's done that a few times now and will seem fishy.

This is a very neat idea. Maybe Nintendo will get into the projector business.

I'm still waiting on them taking 3D to the next level with holograms, so this might be very helpful :D

It currently exists in a super position where it is both a handheld and a portable, has projectors and controller attachments, supplemental computing units and vitality sensors, Nvdia chips and AMD chips, scroll wheel triggers and regular triggers, right analog stick above and below the action buttons, split d pad and regular d pad.

perfect

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Most people don't have an 80" TV they can take with them wherever they go, and project on a wall at the DMV for some great multiplayer "couch" gaming...

Neither will this. Pico projectors have shit brightness and even normal projectors can have issues getting a decent image in a bright room.

And this patent only seems to cover geometry - what if the uneven surface has different coloured areas - do many people have bumpy surfaces that are white?

I could perhaps see this as an accessory but not built into the core unit. Most of the time you'll be playing handheld or if you're at home you'll have a TV nearby

spekkeh

Banned

As will GAFs hopes and dreams. Which are subsequently not only a waveform, but given the weight of expectation, also a particle with gravity. A supermassive particle. We shall dub it unobtainium.

Speely

Banned
I made a silly projector joke a while back about the NX not having a camera on the screen portion because the projector was taking up too much room. Would be gloriously weird if it actually has one. That said, it seems pretty far-fetched that the NX could have a way to offer this kind of gaming at decent quality on the go... or anywhere for a low price, for that matter.

This WOULD fit all the talk about a "new way to play games" and changing the idea of what home or portable gaming is, though. Actually it makes a LOT of sense given what Nintendo has said.... it just doesn't make sense given what seems realistic for a low-price device.

KooopaKid

Banned
Wouldn't the projector require too much energy? Wouldn't the image be barely visible in broad daylight? Projecting on non-white and non-flat surface isn't ideal for image quality.

spekkeh

Banned
I love Pico projectors. My research group has a dozen of them. Their sharpness and luminosity are easily as good as some of the bigger projectors you're used to, and all in a very small and cheap package. A projector that you can carry around and basically forget you have in your bag. But it would probably add another $40 to the price, and if Nintendo was as rumors suggest sitting on a mass market price, I doubt they would want to get back to Wii U problems.

If they do include it, I really, really doubt it would be on the handheld itself.

A projector

- adds bulk
- gets hot and needs strong active cooling (well maybe they already have this given the devkit)
- above all is not kids proof, and you don't want the thing to break one week in
- has only a very limited use case, i.e. indoors and darkened, which is the opposite of what you want a portable to be able to do

No really our research group bought a $25000 projector for outside projection mapping, and it's still useless basically in anything but pitch dark. You can only make this work with lasers and a) that's not in the patent, and b) think about all the Daily Mail headlines going Nintendo is frying the eyes of our kids.

Now as part of the docking station though, that's certainly possible. You're indoors, most people play in the evening if they also have a handheld and otherwise it's not hard to close the curtains. The inclusion would only be constrained by price considerations. Well that and you can't put it in a cupboard, but that's problematic for a dock anyway.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wouldn't the projector require too much energy? Wouldn't the image be barely visible in broad daylight? Projecting on non-white and non-flat surface isn't ideal for image quality.

A projector in a handheld would be as great idea as the Gamepad in Wii U. Neat, but making it a very poor value product.

Maybe they could make it an accessory. But as built in it fucks up everything: size, heat, battery life, price.

ggx2ac

Quick observation before bed:

Emily Rogers made a "tiny update" to her blog on September 20th. It reads,

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/ (Bottom of page)

MEGACHIPS CORPORATION is the co-assignee of this patent.

I guess posting this would help people understand what megachips is.

http://www.megachips.co.jp/english/company/features.html

Internationally renowned MegaChips is a fabless manufacturer of devices for the mobile and IoT industries. Our core technologies are critical to a wide range of applications for imaging, audio, communications and more.

Because we are fabless, we can focus our efforts on managing resources, R&D and creating new technologies for value-added applications.

Best to just read what they are in the link.

Edit: There was also this thread so it actually was already known.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1224114

Rösti;204721020 said:
Today, on May 26, 2016, MegaChips Corporation sent out a notice regarding its 26th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders on June 23, 2016 (Thursday) 10 am (JST). The notice includes information on principal businesses, directors and more. It also includes the status of an important business alliance between Macronix, Megachips and Nintendo:

More at the link.

onQ123

NX is about to sell like hotcakes
Just Dance Anywhere & Pokemon Go is going to have people going crazy for this.

Top Bottom