• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power ceasing publication

I'll go pick up the Wii U edition for sure. I still have one of the Fun Club Newsletters and issue number one sitting on my bathroom floor for nostalgia reading. Never stopped subscribing and really sad to see it end. Bummer.

thomasos

I just got an issue in the mail, though Shantae was on the cover. Subscriber-only? Have loved and subscribed since Issue 1; thank you for all that you and the team did. Always been a big part of my life, got me through many trying times. Y'all should stick together and form some sort of Nintendo fansite if you can still stomach covering the company!

Yup, Shantae is on the subs cover and Wii U launch titles are on the newsstand cover. Thanks for the kind words and for being a loyal subscriber!

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Final issue bigger than other issues or same page count?
Same page count as the other issues, but it's crazy jam-packed.

Oh man, am I excited to see people's reactions to some of the great stuff we got in there (a couple of things in particular).

I just got an issue in the mail, though Shantae was on the cover. Subscriber-only? Have loved and subscribed since Issue 1; thank you for all that you and the team did. Always been a big part of my life, got me through many trying times. Y'all should stick together and form some sort of Nintendo fansite if you can still stomach covering the company!
Daymn. Respect x1000. That's crazy/awesome. And like Steve said, the Shantae issue is the subscriber exclusive cover for the penultimate issue (man, I love using the word "penultimate").

And please don't think that we harbor any ill will towards Nintendo. On the contrary, the company has been nothing but supportive through this whole thing. I honestly think that if it wasn't for Nintendo, the final issue would not have turned out as great as it did.

thomasos

Same page count as the other issues, but it's crazy jam-packed.

Oh man, am I excited to see people's reactions to some of the great stuff we got in there (a couple of things in particular).

And hidden inside one issue is a golden ticket to the space carnival!*

*There's no such thing as a space carnival. Sadly.

That's the November issue.

IrishNinja

Just for the record, today was the final day of Nintendo Power. We finished up the final issue and shipped it off. The final issue (#285, December 2012) should be hitting newsstands on December 11, so please look forward to it (subscribers will likely get it earlier).

There is some pretty outstanding stuff in the issue that we're very proud of. We think that it's a suitable end for the magazine's 24 year run. Man, I can't wait for people to see it.

By the by, the penultimate issue should be at stores now. Look for a yellow cover with a montage of Wii U games on it. That issue also comes with a free pack of Series 2 Kid Icarus AR cards. They're random packs, so buy multiple copies!

i am now sadder than ever that i let my subscription run out in years past, and lost like 5 years of it when my garage got flooded years back (;_;)

i got like another 6 months of this sub, i wonder what kinda non-NP garbage the company might offer to make up for it, if anything. still so bummed about a future where only GI gets printed over here, might be time to pony up & sub to either retro gamer or that awesome european nintendo mag.

JSR

I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the final issue, but as a subscriber since 1999, it's definitely going to be bittersweet. I've always been a big fan of the magazine.

Best of luck to everyone on the NP team!

Whimsical Phil

i am now sadder than ever that i let my subscription run out in years past, and lost like 5 years of it when my garage got flooded years back (;_;)

i got like another 6 months of this sub, i wonder what kinda non-NP garbage the company might offer to make up for it, if anything. still so bummed about a future where only GI gets printed over here, might be time to pony up & sub to either retro gamer or that awesome european nintendo mag.
I believe subscribers are getting refunded for any "extra" issues.

donny2112

i wonder what kinda non-NP garbage the company might offer to make up for it, if anything.

They'll refund the remaining months to you.

Love Nintendo Power. Still go back to the old issues to get guides on 3DS VC games (really missed that they didn't do so much walk-throughs as internet got more prevalent, but I guess that's to be expected). Thanks for all the great years you've shared with us. :D

Nintendo Power has given me countless fond memories since Elementary School. I think my brother started subscribing to the magazine in '96, and he passed the torch to me around 2000. For the most part, I've been a subscriber ever since. When I was a kid, finding a new issue in my family's stack of mail was like finding a lump of gold in a treasure chest filled with rocks.

Thanks Nintendo Power staff for being a longtime source of laughs, surprises, great game developer interviews, and all-around awesome video game coverage!

Whimsical Phil

It's coming, folks...

cbvncnd

Not sure if it's been said, but what kind of compensation can those of us who have active subscriptions expect? I'm paid off for another year and a half.

Whimsical Phil

What a freaking wierd thing to do. Even at something of a lost, after 24 years, one would expect the magazine to continue. Is at least another venue for advertising and as far as i know the magazine is after all owned by Nintendo?

Wonder how many subscribers it reaches.

Koren

Print, especially print so relentlessly specific and dedicated to a subject matter that isn't forthcoming with information, has to fight long and hard to survive.
That sounds logical, but at the same time, there's still magazines about cow breeding, trains, chimeny builders, or any even more specific subjets that still live quite well.

I'm not in the US, but I remember similar sad situations here. I wish interesting opportunities for people working there...

alf717

Any way to get the final issue on line? No one in my area will carry this on the shelf. Would be nice to see this continue online through Wii U if possible but I doubt that would happen.

wrowa

Anyway to get the final issue on line? No one in my area will carry this on the shelf. Would be nice to see this continue online through Wii U if possible but I doubt that would happen.

Or digital, for that matter.

I love well-made print magazines and I would love to get my hands on the final issue, but being in Europe importing the actual, physical magazine is not an option, sadly.

It hasn't been owned by Nintendo in a very long time.
Thanks for correcting me Pixy. What's up with Nintendo then? They should pick the magazine up for some more time and then go full digitally exclusivly on the Wii U.

After all, i bet they most be thinking of offering exclusive content as digital books, Nintendo Magazine would fit the bill perfectly for this type of stuff.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Always sad to see a magazine close.

Being on the other side of the pond, I never read Nintendo Power, but I know of it and it's influence is legendary. I was really gutted when Nintendo Gamer magazine closed over here recently, and that hasn't been going for nearly as long.

Good luck with your future endeavours!

Just for the record, today was the final day of Nintendo Power. We finished up the final issue and shipped it off. The final issue (#285, December 2012) should be hitting newsstands on December 11, so please look forward to it (subscribers will likely get it earlier).

There is some pretty outstanding stuff in the issue that we're very proud of. We think that it's a suitable end for the magazine's 24 year run. Man, I can't wait for people to see it.

By the by, the penultimate issue should be at stores now. Look for a yellow cover with a montage of Wii U games on it. That issue also comes with a free pack of Series 2 Kid Icarus AR cards. They're random packs, so buy multiple copies!

December 11th you say? I'll be there, Day 1.

Giolon

I'm kind of pissed that, having been a non-stop subscriber for nearly two decades who's subscription ended with the Oct issue, that Future couldn't provide me with any way to extend my subscription through December so I could have the final remaining subscriber-only covers. They wouldn't even let me buy a full re-subscription, and just give me the refund for the rest like they've done with anyone who subscribed in the prior 12 months.

#sadpanda

This is just...pure pure sadness.

I remember back in the day when Nintendo Power was my go-to source for upcoming new game info. There was this one issue where they were teasing a new Wii game that was supposed to be a "shocker" and they told us to find some crazy hint in the moon. It wasn't just a small tidbit no, this big surprise was hinted all over the issue.

nintendo-power-moon-0-dsf.jpg

That turned out to be Castlevania related, and it turns out the Wii game "shocker" was a new Rabbids game.

I have never felt more trolled in my life than I did back then. The image was probably dissected online, but this was when I was accustomed to Youtube and Serebii for game related things on the internet before I discovered sites like GAF.

But still, I had a lot of fun with the theories I had in my head, and it all came from this magazine. RIP Nintendo Power.

I was a subscriber from Issue 1 up until about 150, which feels like a long damn time. I still have boxes full of old issue I didn't want to get rid of.
1)Open Issue
2)Turn to Classified Information
3)Turn to Counselor's Corner
4)Try out every tip and trick for any game you had a copy of
5)Read rest of magazine.

At least for me that's how it went.

Parallacs

Just wanted to join everyone else in thanking you and the rest of the crew and past crews for making an excellent magazine.

I have a huge collection of mid 2000s nintendo powers to go through. I also have been getting really old ones from ebay piece by piece. And recently I have been buying each new issue at B&N. In all the issues I am amazed by how useful they are. Color print can never be replaced by computer screens in my opinion.

You will be missed!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I wonder what this means for Club Nintendo in Latin America, seeing they had close ties with Nintendo Power.

It also meant the point where the magazine started to suck, but that's another issue entirely.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you guys so much for the years of gaming goodness. Nintendo Power was my favorite gaming magazine--I've had a subscription since the N64 days and always bought a retail copy on the side to dissect and scan onto my PC.

It's great having NP on your PC in high quality. I'd always hoped that NP would go digital like Shonen Jump did. :(

Much love to you guys and to all those who ever worked on NP. I will buy tons of extra copies of the final issue for future generations. Those kids will need a little Nintendo Power magic in their lives.

Can't wait to get mine. I've still got most of my collection dating back to the Club Nintendo newsletters. I'll admit that I've been subscribed for the last few years just to keep the collection going and not even reading them all but it's still a part of me coming to an end in a few weeks. :(

Regretting never sending in a letter or envelope art now. :p

I wonder what this means for Club Nintendo in Latin America, seeing they had close ties with Nintendo Power.

It also meant the point where the magazine started to suck, but that's another issue entirely.
Yes, i know some guys that grew up collecting those things. It was kind of cool seeing how when the magazines are stacked form images.

Most cost pennies for a company like Nintendo to have the magazine operational and as i said they could have cuarrent and future uses for it. But what can you do right? :)

Brofield

Sent in a fan letter, it got published once. Asking for a game starring Bowser (pre-Bowser's Inside Story era). Felt like I directly influenced Nintendo's decision.

I still haven't told the kid inside me that's not how business works.

joedick

It hasn't been owned by Nintendo in a very long time.

I think Nintendo does own it, they've been lisencing it out to Future. It was Nintendo's call to shut it down.

And like Steve said, the Shantae issue is the subscriber exclusive cover for the penultimate issue (man, I love using the word "penultimate").

You guys also love the word 'titular'. It seems to be in the mag every month. Not sure why I noticed that. Anyways, thanks for all the work, I've really loved NP since I started subscribing again a few years ago. Really bummed to see it go.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck. I somehow missed this news till just now. Really sad to see it go. Another relic from my childhood gone.

Whimsical Phil

You guys also love the word 'titular'. It seems to be in the mag every month. Not sure why I noticed that. Anyways, thanks for all the work, I've really loved NP since I started subscribing again a few years ago. Really bummed to see it go.
I've actually caught myself using "titular" a bit too much and tried making a conscious effort to lighten up on it. Sometimes it just fits, though!

It was Nintendo's call to shut it down.
It's not quite that simple. I will say that regarding this whole situation, Nintendo has been extremely cool.

Top Bottom