• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Cover - Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS)

jett

D-Member
The image in the "Next Month" teaser was a map of Belmont, California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont,_California

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

That's grade A trolling.

sajj316

I was hoping for more sprite based action but I guess the polygon thing may work out. I still think that a 2D sprite based game with 3D effects is a site to see and would at least get me to turn on the 3D effect. I rarely use it for 3D polygon games.

You mean Castlevania:Complete Chronicles? I doubt it's true after all...

-------
The infos about MoF SOUNDS good. 4 characters? I'm still bothered with the combat part, but I'm still cautilously optimistic...

No I read a rumor that Vita was getting LOS2, which did not make much sense, but seeing this now it would make more sense that if Vita got a Castlevania game it would be this one.

Instro

The details doesn't say anything about music. Hope we see some tunes instead of orchestra.

Well, I doubt they would put the money down for an orchestra on a handheld title. It'll be interesting to see who composes, its not like Mercury Steam has someone on staff they use.

Foffy

Banned
Who enjoys playing a game with such shitty controls?...thanks goodness SOTN came.

Sorry I was trolling Boney a bit, I just don't like classic castlevania although they might be great games.

Might? They are. Seriously, give Adventure Rebirth a try and play it with the Classic gameplay option from the options menu.

WhyMe6

The Igavanias have always been these consistently strong, quality, addictive experiences for me on my handhelds. I had a blast playing through them on the GBA, particularly Aria of Sorrow. This was stepped up on the DS, when three more amazing games were made (though I loved Dawn of Sorrow the most!).

It kind of saddens me that it doesn't look like I'm going to get those awesome games anymore for my 3DS - they were always such as safe, reliable bet :(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Looks like the talk about there being an alternate cover with Trevor for the non-subscribers is true:
http://i.imgur.com/ZDIBf.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

lol, Nintendo Power's trying to pretend that the game hasn't been revealed yet. Probably embargoed until Friday. They even pixelated the image for the Mirror of fate cover story.

I take it the adventure remake turned out alright? I had forgotten all about it since it's announcement.

Played through it earlier this year, it was solid stuff.
No proper save system though until you discover how the level select cheat works. Still I had to do it in one sitting without that knowledge and by the end of it I was being destroyed by Dracula for like 45 minutes.

When you remake an incredibly shitty game, the only way it can go is up. It's actually very similar to Bloodlines, if you played that.

Really? I'll have to give it a go then. I hated that Gameboy game with a passion so I never gave Rebirth the time of day.

Foffy

Banned
Really? I'll have to give it a go then. I hated that Gameboy game with a passion so I never gave Rebirth the time of day.

I felt with Adventure Rebirth they took a good approach: instead of remaking the most popular game in the series, or remaking Japan-only titles, a remake of what was long regarded as one of the worst games in the series was a good idea. Perhaps such an approach has made those like yourself hesitant to the game, due to the original titles poor quality.

It's not very long, however. It's very old school in that if you know what you're doing and can handle the game, you can beat it in an hour. The game does offer level design changes based on difficulty too, which is the first time that's been done in the franchise, IIRC.

jimmypython

So...the console one is a continuation of the first LOS, right?

Did I read somewhere that Vita is getting the same game as consoles?

Dascu

Did I read somewhere that Vita is getting the same game as consoles?

Very much unconfirmed at the moment.

To clarify, the only source to my knowledge of LoS2 being on PS3/360/WiiU/Vita is Paul Gale, and what we know of Mirror of Fate so far doesn't really seem to confirm his rumour. It in fact contradicts it, as he said the game would star 2 playable characters, yet NP speaks of 4 playable. Could be his source was outdated, could be it's just bogus.

I don't even get what Rebirth has to do with the original GB game, it's like a completely different thing entirely. The only connection I noticed was lots of rolling eyeball enemies.

Foffy

Banned
I don't even get what Rebirth has to do with the original GB game, it's like a completely different thing entirely. The only connection I noticed was lots of rolling eyeball enemies.

Think Super Castlevania IV to the original: a remake that's more of a re-imagining.

Alfredo

Have you actually ever heard the music in a God of War game, or are you just generalizing based on ignorant assumptions?

Yeah. I actually like some God of War tracks, and some of the tracks from Lords of Shadow remind me of God of War (you know, that whole "epic" feeling). That's not the type of music I want from a Castlevania game, though.

Very much unconfirmed at the moment.

To clarify, the only source to my knowledge of LoS2 being on PS3/360/WiiU/Vita is Paul Gale, and what we know of Mirror of Fate so far doesn't really seem to confirm his rumour. It in fact contradicts it, as he said the game would star 2 playable characters, yet NP speaks of 4 playable. Could be his source was outdated, could be it's just bogus.

He also claimed that MoF would involve some gimmicky use of the 3DS cameras for puzzle-solving. That seems to be false, thankfully.

Think Super Castlevania IV to the original: a remake that's more of a re-imagining.

CV4 felt like an expanded remake and retelling of the basic CV premise, yeah, but I still struggle to see why they bothered making a connection here to a random footnote like CV-TA when this "remake" is completely unrecognizable. None of the level layouts or settings or anything reminded me of the original, the soundtrack was a mix from tons of games, there weren't any distinctive shared mechanics, not even any ropes. Just those damn eyeballs. If they had just called the game "Castlevania- Revengeance" there's absolutely nothing that would have made me stop and say "hey, this is kind of like that Game Boy game!"

Just nitpicking, I loved this game, totally worthy traditional CV entry in every way

I must admit, I thought the

DRACULA | ALUCARD

reversal play on the mirror theme was a really neat idea.....has this been confirmed as a false rumor now?

EDIT: not necessarily the Simon=Alucard rumor, but the "mirror" theme working with the reversal of Dracula's name, to give us Alucard.

NeoUltima

I find it odd that LoS is in the title. That is quite an unwieldy title. Surely there must be an easier way for them to signify it's part of the rebooted series.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
- this is not the same Trevor we know
- gameplay stretches across time
- players will eventually be able to control Trevor’s descendent, Simon Belmont
- there are two other unnamed characters are in the game as well
- switch between the four characters at predetermined points
- work through Dracula’s castle during different time periods
- each warrior boasts different abilities
- explore the same castle with marked differences between each character
- some paths may be blocked off due to characters not sharing the same abilities (like double jumping)

- Simon wields the Vampire Killer whi
- Trevor utilizes the Combat Cross that made its debut in Lords of Shadow
- Sims can use throwing axes and burning oil
- Simon can also summon mystical guardians to fight for him or protect him
- use the touch screen to leave notes for yourself
- mark places that you might like to re-visit later
- SpotPass and StreetPass will come into play

All this stuff sounds awesome. Maybe I'm just a bad person.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game sounds fine. Not fussed with the two 3D shots either. I'm interested.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love the concept of the game taking place over several generations. I hope they run with it and change Dracula's castle in subtle ways each time you go through it in a new generation.

Pyrrhus

I'm not going to lie. I hated her take on Simon.

But that doesn't make me filled with confidence in this game. Lords of Shadow was a complete mess.

Infinite

Salty this isn't an igavania; order of occlesia was a great game and I wanted to see them build off of that but I won't get the chance. This sounds interesting none the less apart from that earning combos thing.

wrowa

I love the concept of the game taking place over several generations. I hope they run with it and change Dracula's castle in subtle ways each time you go through it in a new generation.

Same here. I'm still very skeptical and I'll wait for a trailer until I give initial judgement, but I love when games/books/movies take place over several generations. If done right, it makes everything feel more... important and meaningful in some regard.

- Reminiscent of Castlevania’s Nintendo DS entries, like Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.
- Primarily in 2D and 2.5D, with the occasional shift into a fully 3D environment.
- Encourages nonlinear exploration and discovery.
- Scheduled to hit the Nintendo 3DS in Fall 2012.
Sounds good, I hope they can live up to the expectations.

Top Bottom