• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Cover - Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS)

Sagitario

- Reminiscent of Castlevania’s Nintendo DS entries, like Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.
- Primarily in 2D and 2.5D, with the occasional shift into a fully 3D environment.
- Encourages nonlinear exploration and discovery.
- Scheduled to hit the Nintendo 3DS in Fall 2012.

HYPE!

Zeal

Banned
Just give me whatever MercurySteam does. Their take on Castlevania is the best ever made. LoS was my game of the year.

Jacob4815

Very much unconfirmed at the moment.

To clarify, the only source to my knowledge of LoS2 being on PS3/360/WiiU/Vita is Paul Gale, and what we know of Mirror of Fate so far doesn't really seem to confirm his rumour. It in fact contradicts it, as he said the game would star 2 playable characters, yet NP speaks of 4 playable. Could be his source was outdated, could be it's just bogus.

My fear is that LOS2 for Ps3/360 doesn't exist.
This game for 3DS could be the only and real sequel.

so the upset at the cover art is odd)

At this point it's not really odd. It makes sense. People are out for blood, hence the irrational hate the game is already receiving after a couple of details and two pictures. If you think that's over the top, wait a few days.

Fabrik

Banned
The single screenshot I've seen look really cool. I'm not a big Castlevania fan but it's a bit like Metroid Other M without the story and the linearity it could be gud!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
- Reminiscent of Castlevania’s Nintendo DS entries, like Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.

The fact that they left out Portrait of Ruin..pleases me! Please have a heavy focus on exploration!

Anyway, what's this about Trevor using a combat-cross and Simon using the Vampire-Killer? Are they gonna tie the reboot in with some of the old lore or wut.

Luigison

Nintendo-Tease_04-23-600x800.jpg

How does that fit?

I was hoping for at least one 3DS Igavania before they tried something like this but nevertheless I'm still very interested in this one.

Not sure how I feel about the Donkey Kong 64 character switching stuff though. Hopefully that aspect is executed much better.

Eusis

This is, I think, the first time in history that one of these teaser pages hasn't been cracked.
It really is impressive how they actually managed to be TOO clever here. Of course I guess it's moot with many of the details leaking ahead of time anyway.

Ahasverus

It was? Why is NP making a distinction between the two? My only exposure to LoS was watching a guy play through the whole game on a stream when it was new.
Yeah it was when you get the vampire killing stake.
It was not uniqe though, it was a weapon for the Brotherhood of Light

Salsa

oh wait what

- Primarily in 2D and 2.5D, with the occasional shift into a fully 3D environment.

Im down with this

My biggest concern is that they'll try and shoe horn a 'robust' story into the game. LoS had some terrible writing despite its interesting story. Castlevania is at its best when it keeps itself brief IMO.

Thoraxes

I can't tell if i'm disappointed or hyped.

I'm sure i'll figure out which it is when I actually get to see it in motion though. I'm staying optimistic.

rozay

Banned
Leather is armor! (old school pre Kojima Simon and Trevor were muscle bound barbarians in leather and fur so the upset at the cover art is odd)
the character art on the cover looks terrible in my opinion, and it isn't because of the leather and fur and moreso because of the design of his upper half.

I let it slide with Lords of Shadow but if this game skimps out on good unlockable content I'll be pretty disappointed. I played Julius mode more than I played the actual game in Dawn of Sorrow, I want that kind of replay value in Mirror of Fate.

Nintendo Power said:
Great! I loved Order of Ecclesia. Going just by this, this game looks like another great entry.

Nintendo Power said:
Another great point, gotta love developers that encourage this. I hope this is actually true.

Nintendo Power said:
- polygon-based graphics
Only "bad" thing so far. I'd have prefered 2D graphics but let's see how this turns out.

Nintendo Power said:
- occasional shift into a fully 3D environment
Sounds risky, but I'm sure MercurySteam can pull it out nicely. I hope I'm right.

Croc

Banned

Daaaaaayum I was not hyped at all earlier in the thread but after reading that I am 100% on board.

I never followed the series too closely but I loved the DS entries and will for sure be picking this one up as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What is this I feel? Genuine excitement? Will I be disappointed? Maybe! But SMT4 will sweeten the blow.

Maedhros

Great! I loved Order of Ecclesia. Going just by this, this game looks like another great entry.

Another great point, gotta love developers that encourage this. I hope this is actually true.

Only "bad" thing so far. I'd have prefered 2D graphics but let's see how this turns out.

Sounds risky, but I'm sure MercurySteam can pull it out nicely. I hope I'm right.

I hope you're right too. The things you don't like are what I'm cautious now, plus the combat doesn't sounds good at all... but I'll wait for a gameplay video.

jimmypython

just saw the scans!

Trevor and Simon Belmont look soooooooo good!!!

Kojima's art is good no doubt. But I am sold on this one already......

Find it incredibly humorous that some people were complaining about Kojima's Simon (not "real" Simon, where's Conan version, baww, etc.) and then MercurySteam makes theirs based off the Kojima one.

Glad to hear it sounds like it plays like DoS and OoE, those games were awesome.

EDIT: Saw the scans, Trevor's outfit unlike hobo Simon looks badass.

.la1n

If this sticks with the metroidvania formula and throws in some fresh ideas (new spirtes!?) then hell yes I am down.

In celebration, I've ordered a Gameboy player and Circle of the Moon (Component!) ...

Metroidvania fans, any other select title that you recommend?

In celebration, I've ordered a Gameboy player and Circle of the Moon (Component!) ...

Metroidvania fans, any other select title that you recommend?

Don't waste your time or sanity on Harmony, Aria, Dawn, Portraits they are all horrible puff padded pieces. Just jump straight to Order of Eccelsia. If I could go back in time, I would do the same.

Top Bottom