• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Cover - Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS)

Don't waste your time or sanity on Harmony, Aria, Dawn, Portraits they are all horrible puff padded pieces. Just jump straight to Order of Eccelsia. If I could go back in time, I would do the same.

Don't waste your time listening to this. Play them all except maybe Portrait of Ruin.

Just saw the scans, MercurySteam strikes again on the graphical front it would seem. Game looks visually amazing. I like the new Trevor's outfit a lot too. Here's hoping it's got a better plot than LoS. XD

Don't waste your time or sanity on Harmony, Aria, Dawn, Portraits they are all horrible puff padded pieces. Just jump straight to Order of Eccelsia. If I could go back in time, I would do the same.

This guy's trying to get you not to play good games.

I actually say play them all, from Symphony of the Night on down.

EDIT: LOL that my brother who is at work still posted this literally right before I did.

Ahasverus

why the long face trevor
Ehm, that's Simon

This is Trevor
np279_coverstory.jpg

atbigelow

I'm pretty excited for this. I wasn't a huge fan of LoS by any means (except the soundtrack), but I'm interested to see how they do with a 2D gameplay environment. I'm totally cool with 2.5D graphics.

I'm not totally sure how I like them rewriting Castlevania history, but I guess they already did that with LoS.

jett

D-Member
nintendo power censored their online preview pic because of embargoes i guess

oh well, i just saw dem scans. It looks really good, some decidedly 2.5D levels, and it says it's 3DS exclusive so it may not be coming to the Vita at all, for those that were theorizing a port there.

rozay

Banned
saw the article, should clarify it's Gabriel's son concieved before the events of the end of LoS. which is kinda stupid.

okay I fucking hate simon's armor design. belmonts should at least have the decency to cover their tits. other than that, the in game screens look nice. trevor looks awesome, though a specific piece of artwork takes kojima's tiny head big body design philosophy to a new level hahah

Article mentions the game takes place in the castle primarily.

Man, everything about this sounds fantastic, aside from a few concerns NP mentioned about the combat pacing. Please don't let me down, Mercury Steam.

Foffy

Banned
saw the article, should clarify it's Gabriel's son concieved before the events of the end of LoS. which is kinda stupid.

okay I fucking hate simon's armor design. belmonts should at least have the decency to cover their tits. other than that, the in game screens look nice. trevor looks awesome, though a specific piece of artwork takes kojima's tiny head big body design philosophy to a new level hahah

Article mentions the game takes place in the castle primarily.

It doesn't explain why he's using the Combat Cross, though. Are they disregarding the DLC?

Miau

Neo Member
holy shit, is this real life?

Your answer made me curious if other people had already commented on LoS soundtrack, so I went back to read the rest of the thread.

As I was never a Castlevania fan I can't really comment on previous soundtracks, but saying LoS didn't have a good OST is flat out wrong. It is both expertly orchestrated and very fitting to the game setting.

It's one of my favorite soundtracks of this generation, along side Super Mario Galaxy, Journey, and Kid Icarus.

Everytime I heard Final Confrontation:

VXXOW.jpg

I can't help it.

Ahasverus

Those scans are nuts.
This game is nuts.

Best Castlevania ever (until LoS2) and I'm calling it now.

Oh, and people, it takes place only in the Castle, and it's based on exploration, so, yeah, metroidvania.

Vrakanox

Those scans are nuts.
This game is nuts.

Best Castlevania ever (until LoS2) and I'm calling it now.

Oh, and people, it takes place only in the Castle, and it's based on exploration, so, yeah, metroidvania.

Don't forget about those rainy forests and dark caves.

Not sure how I feel about their being "combos". I would rather have few attacks that are important for surviving than just having a variation of the same things. I'll hold out on that though, since we still know very little about how this actually plays.

hatchx

Banned

You speak craziness.

SoTN and Dawn of Sorrow, in my opinion, are simply the best. Portraits and Order have nothing on them.

Foffy

Banned
You speak craziness.

SoTN and Dawn of Sorrow, in my opinion, are simply the best. Portraits and Order have nothing on them.

Dawn of Sorrow is the start of 2D Castlevania games getting incredibly lazy and had massive asset theft. At least on the GBA they had to emulate monsters from other games, not steal sprites. The game feels like a hollow expansion pack, too. The areas are boring, the music is basic, and the gameplay "changes" to changes that it feels like Aria but without any of the fanciness. I had more fun with Julius Mode than the main game, and even that wasn't very good.

"Our combat system was universally praised and well received by fans".

Seriously?

Yeah seriously. Outside of a few vocal minorities the combat system was highly accepted, because it was diverse, and combined with the Light and Dark magic system, in tandem with keeping your combat flawless for orb drops, it was surprisingly flexible and full filling. It had this awesome, ebb and flow. I personally commended Dave and his team for that in my review, which he enjoyed.

hatchx

Banned
Dawn of Sorrow is the start of 2D Castlevania games getting incredibly lazy and had massive asset theft. At least on the GBA they had to emulate monsters from other games, not steal sprites. The game feels like a hollow expansion pack, too. The areas are boring, the music is basic, and the gameplay "changes" to changes that it feels like Aria but without any of the fanciness. I had more fun with Julius Mode than the main game, and even that wasn't very good.

I dunno, I loved it. I am not a Castlevania guru who can compare them all. I only played SoTN, the DS ones, and no more than 45 minutes of any of the 3D ones.

Maedhros

Yeah seriously. Outside of a few vocal minorities the combat system was highly accepted, because it was diverse, and combined with the Light and Dark magic system, in tandem with keeping your combat flawless for orb drops, it was surprisingly flexible and full filling. It had this awesome, ebb and flow. I personally commended Dave and his team for that in my review, which he enjoyed.

I really doubt it was "universally praised".

I hope it doesn't sucks. It can work in games like GoW and LoS, but in games like Bloodrayne, it was really boring.

It wasn't a necessary game. The Sorrow series could end with Aria, which was very nice for it's time. (I prefer CoTM though).

Top Bottom