• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo registers some names...

Xrenity

Revolution to be called Tornado? ;)
Nintendo got some new patents, it's not clear what they're for (hardware/software).
Neue Markenschutzeinträge von Nintendo

04.03.06 - Nintendo hat beim japanischen Patentamt Markenschutz für mehrere Namen beantragt. Es ist unklar, um was es sich handelt (Spiel, Hardware-Bezeichnung, Untertitel, usw.):

- Tornado
- Nekosogi Tornado
- Bioumu
- Kuru Keshi!
source:Gamefront.de

Furoba

lancubap said:
I hope that these names are NOT a candidate to be the substitutes to the Nintendo's Revolution codename.

I don't think any company has ever leaked the final name of their console through a patent application. Not all patents are used too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Furoba said:
I don't think any company has ever leaked the final name of their console through a patent application. Not all patents are used too.

No, Nintendo tends to like using generic holding companies for their new console names. That's now IGN found out the console was named GameCube even when sites like DailyRadar and other people in the industry (some who post to this forum) were 100% sure Nintendo was calling it StarCube.

Andrew2

Banned
Vieo said:
Maybe Tornado is that "Thornado" game that never appeared on GCN? :D

Nope, Factor 5 still owns the trademarks to it. With that said anything connected Thornado is the property of Factor 5

Kind of off topic, but i was thinking - when E3 rolls around.. well i'm assuming they have a stack of revolution stuff stored away, ready to be set up right? Maybe 1 month - 2 weeks prior to E3 at the latest.

I mean it's not like they'll just bring them over on the plane in their suitcases at the last minute - so isn't it feasible that someone could figure out which storage company has a contract with Nintendo for this kind of stuff? And therefore find a hidden stash of Revs waiting to be hooked up!?!

Either that or they'll be locked away at NOA. Either way, someone should arrange a hijack while they're being transported to E3

/dream

GDGF

Soothsayer
the androgyne said:
Kind of off topic, but i was thinking - when E3 rolls around.. well i'm assuming they have a stack of revolution stuff stored away, ready to be set up right? Maybe 1 month - 2 weeks prior to E3 at the latest.

I mean it's not like they'll just bring them over on the plane in their suitcases at the last minute - so isn't it feasible that someone could figure out which storage company has a contract with Nintendo for this kind of stuff? And therefore find a hidden stash of Revs waiting to be hooked up!?!

Either that or they'll be locked away at NOA. Either way, someone should arrange a hijack while they're being transported to E3

/dream

I figure there are warehouses on NOA campus full of nifty promo Revolution stuff. I think all that stuff would have been ordered by now. Certainly by next month. Nintendo's E3 press kit is going to kick ass this year.

mCACGj

the androgyne said:

/dream

That's just bad in general, why not wait a week or two and allow Nintendo to show their projects and ideas the way they want them to be shown? (granted, if it's the Nintendo of a few years ago, or the past few years even, the people who would steal that stuff could show it off better than Nintendo)

Odysseus

Banned
Do Nintendo fans have nothing better to do than go digging through new trademarks and patents? Don't you have non-games to play?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Neue Markenschutzeinträge von Nintendo

04.03.06 - Nintendo hat beim japanischen Patentamt Markenschutz für mehrere Namen beantragt. Es ist unklar, um was es sich handelt (Spiel, Hardware-Bezeichnung, Untertitel, usw.):

- Tornado
- Nekosogi Tornado
- Bioumu
- Kuru Keshi!

Bioumu, huh? OK, so what if the Revcon's (aka waggle-wand) final secret is that it senses your heartrate or something similar? I remember that there were some interesting ideas about when it was thought that Resident Evil 4 could include an accessory that did the same. Maybe the controller knows how tightly you're holding it and adjusts the action accordingly? Just a thought.

mCACGj said:
That's just bad in general, why not wait a week or two and allow Nintendo to show their projects and ideas the way they want them to be shown? (granted, if it's the Nintendo of a few years ago, or the past few years even, the people who would steal that stuff could show it off better than Nintendo)

Haha well i'm semi joking of course, and i'd never do it myself (especially not while i'm tied up here in Australia!).

But honestly, just wondering why it never happened before, considering the lengths some nutters go to - do i remember reading in David Sheff's Game Over, that the first shipment of Super Fami's was done at midnight secretly, to avoid Yakuza's who were suspected of wanting to hijack it? Maybe my memory's foggy :)

I also wondered who might be doing the initial graphics work for Revolution promo stuff? And the logo etc.. cause they weren't done in-house before (N64 and GCN) were they?

Jonnyram

Keshi means erase/delete, not hero. So the image is of something spinning and erasing something.
There's another one not reported here too... "Chi + Fu's delicious picture book".

mCACGj

the androgyne said:
Haha well i'm semi joking of course, and i'd never do it myself (especially not while i'm tied up here in Australia!).

But honestly, just wondering why it never happened before, considering the lengths some nutters go to - do i remember reading in David Sheff's Game Over, that the first shipment of Super Fami's was done at midnight secretly, to avoid Yakuza's who were suspected of wanting to hijack it? Maybe my memory's foggy :)

I also wondered who might be doing the initial graphics work for Revolution promo stuff? And the logo etc.. cause they weren't done in-house before (N64 and GCN) were they?

No that's right actually, haha. Not many people knew when the shipments were being sent out except for a few Nintendo execs and store people. The shipments were done really late at night too, I think. There were a few other details that I don't remember, but it's funny how that sort of thing needs to be done.

I'm suprised it didn't happen with the DS Lite shipments.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Not a japanese speaker, cant cope with slang etc. Just some dictionary translations

Some translations:

Nekosogi - (adv) root and branch; thoroughly; by the roots

umu = to form, to fester, to produce, to give birth to (+ bio sounds almost like a farming game)

oumi - secret

bi - (n,n-suf) beauty

beautiful secret? naaaah :D

Keshi = (n) poppy. *shrugs*

kuru = wind/reel or (vk) to come; to come to hand; to arrive; to approach; to call on; to come on (rain); to set in; to be due; to become; to grow; to get; to come from; to be caused by; to derive from; (P)

Keshi might be shortened, keshiki means scenery for example.

kururin means round and round so it'd be weird to leave it out for a sequel right?

GDGF

Soothsayer
kaizoku said:
umu = to form, to fester, to produce, to give birth to (+ bio sounds almost like a farming game)

Or a god game where you create your own character from scratch. Maybe it's the true rebirth of Cabbage?

kaizoku

GDGF said:
Or a god game where you create your own character from scratch. Maybe it's the true rebirth of Cabbage?

yeh that too.

Kuru Keshi could translate as "Grow Poppy!" :lol

Wonder how a tornado game would work....I keep getting images of spining the revmote around and/or tazmanian devil, all of which are BAD.

FightyF

Banned
My mom kept calling our Nintendo a "tornado" for years. She stopped in '86 or so when nearly everyone had one and they had some decent ads on tv.

So if it is called the Nintendo Tornado, it'll be second nature to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
New Kururin game?! OMG :O

But it's weird, should've been called something with Kururin in that case, since all the other games have followed that rule.

kaizoku

Kiriku said:
New Kururin game?! OMG :O

But it's weird, should've been called something with Kururin in that case, since all the other games have followed that rule.

Didn't read my post did you? Its probably not a kururin game.

kaizoku said:
yeh that too.

Kuru Keshi could translate as "Grow Poppy!" :lol

Wonder how a tornado game would work....I keep getting images of spining the revmote around and/or tazmanian devil, all of which are BAD.
I'm imagining something more along the lines of the player kind of drawing the sides of the tornado to keep it from getting too fat at the bottom or going sideways, and to guide it. Meh, I dunno, I doubt it's a tornado simulator. :D

- Tornado
- Nekosogi Tornado
- Bioumu
- Kuru Keshi!

K, here's a few stretches...

Tornado == Tornado
---K, so it ain't a stretch.

Nekosogi Tornado == Total Tornado
---"Nekosogi ni" is an adverbial phrase that means completely/totaly so the adverb by itslef comes out as Total. It's weird no matter how you look at it. Maybe you swirl the wand to cause tornados to arrange/destroy things in a puzzle manner?

Bioumu == Beautiful Universe / Pretty Parrot
--- LOL, this is a stretch. "bi" can mean beautiful and Oumu = aum = Universe (in Hindi). "Oumu" also means "parrot", so pretty parrot, which seems like much less of a stretch. A seaman sorta game?

Kuru keshi == The coming Scenery??
--- kuru can mean a lot of things, but here I'm using it as to come and Keshi is slang or keshiki or scenery. Pilot Wings?

Porridge

Odysseus said:
Do Nintendo fans have nothing better to do than go digging through new trademarks and patents? Don't you have non-games to play?

yes, i agree this is non-news, but nintendo fans are not the only ones guilty of reporting trademark registrations as actual news.

i wonder when the day will come when we start to report on the first thought that pops into a game designer's head regarding the next project he/she (she, yeah right. lol) wishes to create

Chittagong

Gold Member
Trademark registrations are more reliable news than patents - actual products tend to come out of them often - see iPod Hi-Fi.

BuG

ManaByte said:
No, Nintendo tends to like using generic holding companies for their new console names. That's now IGN found out the console was named GameCube even when sites like DailyRadar and other people in the industry (some who post to this forum) were 100% sure Nintendo was calling it StarCube.
I still remember walking through a shopping centre with a couple of friends and saying "Hey, guess what Nintendo are going to call the next 64... StarCube. Star. Fucking. Cube." Friends say LOL, I say ROFL, we go home and play PlayStation.

Jonnyram

Apparently they're all DS games made by students via the Nintendo Game Seminar and they'll be made available to download sometime in April.

amateurds4qb.jpg

The implications of this are staggering.

Nintendo wasn't just blowing smoke up everyone's ass like usual when they were talking about the download service being used for small indie projects.

Top Bottom