• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony registers trademark for the new controller. It's called:

Rody

HowardMoon said:
pookid.jpg

:lol

At least kids seem to like it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Forsete said:
How does "P -infinity- S" become PooS or Poo? :)

Anyway, I want to see the logo. Not sure how you're supposed to pronounce the controllers name.
The same way Nintendo DS with the dual screen logo became Nintendoods

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Hello Sony, maybe you should talk to the rest of the world BEFORE you name things for Japan.

Wii was a stupid name. We get over it.

POS

PooS, or whatever is a PR NIGHTMARE. I will never accept a piece of shit as anything but a bad move by a possible once powerful console company. Add in a $600 price... who the hell makes a decision like this???

GhaleonEB

SolidSnakex said:
Isn't this what they registered?

pooscontr0rl.jpg

Looks like a infinity sign to me and not a oo.
The defence here is exactly like the Nintendo guys defending Wii and it's hilarious. It may have been a great idea on paper but printed like that it just looks like PooS.

If they move the infinity symbol to the background or something it would look okay in the final logo.

GhaleonEB said:
The defence here is exactly like the Nintendo guys defending Wii and it's hilarious. It may have been a great idea on paper but printed like that it just looks like PooS.

The difference is that Wii is the actual name on the system, PooS is not the name of this. Whatever it actually is. So its not the same or even close.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Geez some of the SDF is getting pretty riled up (but who can blame them?). If anything the joke is more on the play of Gamefront's wordplay, not the actual trademark on what Sony has done.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Next time you’re eating corn kernels keep an eye on your 'wastes' when you go to the toilet and see if you can tell when the corn kernels have passed through your body.
:lol

Ristamar

Next-gen is looking like SHIT

LOL AM I RITE

And :lol @ that Pee & Poo pic. WTF?!? :lol :lol :lol

Someone needs to incorporate a Wii and a PS3 in that image, somehow, someway...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, Sony stole practically everything from Nintendo, from the waggle to their affinity of choosing horrible names. What's next, powering down the PS3 to match the Wii? :lol

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Like I said, it's obvious it's not the name of the controller, but it's still funny as SHIT - GET IT?!?!

But yeah, Sony Defense Force doesn't seem too amused.

Lapsed

Banned
To be fair, the name of Wii was Nintendo doing its Blue Ocean thing. I know so many girls who love the name of "Wii". Also, Wii means a (somewhat) similar word for 'revolution' in ancient Japanese.

I'm not understanding where Sony is going with this. They could just call it the "PS3 Controller" and no one would care. It is not like the Xbox 360 is giving their controller a fancy name.

Forget the name for a second. Why would Sony bother giving their controller a grand name in the first place? While it would be silly for them to use 'Dual Shock 3', they could have just called it the PS3 controller and there would be no issue.

If someone knows what business angle Sony is going at this, I'd love to know. I'm perplexed.

Wow, just when I thought people was making fun of PS2 for DRE, by calling PS2...POS, sony comes with "PooS"?

Is this supposed to be a joke or something, a backlash?

SolidSnakex said:
Not a joke, just Gamefront mislabeling what Sony really registered.

Gamefront was right and they said it's Infinity. Also Motorbass was right in his first post. But some folks here made it a "PooS".

Gamefront is a german site and the word "Poo" doesn't exist in their language. So there's no reason to write "Poo" instead of "P Infinity-Symbol S" for them.

Babelfish

The indication “oo” - it looks like an 8 turned by 90 degrees - can stand also symbolically for infinity or infinity.

They said it's a symbol and means "Unbegrenztheit" (Infinity) or "Unendlichkeit" (Infinity in English again). No word about Poos.

solarplexus said:
Gamefront was right and they said it's Infinity. Also Motorbass was right in his first post. But some folks here made it a "PooS".

Gamefront is a german site and the word "Poo" doesn't exist in their language. So there's no reason to write "Poo" instead of "P Infinity-Symbol S" for them.

Babelfish

They said it's a symbol and means "Unbegrenztheit" (Infinity) or "Unendlichkeit" (Infinity in English again). No word about Poos.
They edited their post. (Original one is in the first post in the topic). But it hasn't changed much in the context. The first version just seemed more vague about the oo / ∞...

Top Bottom