• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo removes Ghosts 'n' Goblins NES from US VC due to poor sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Abuse start

Nuclear Muffin said:
Alright. I just got a response from Capcom...

It was not our decision to remove the game from the Virtual Console. Nintendo has a policy stating that if a game doesn't sell enough units they can remove it from their online service. This is the case with the NES version of the game. If you wish to see this game on the Virtual Console again I suggest you contact Nintendo and request come back.
CAPCOM Customer Support

So apparently, it's NOA's decision to remove the NES version of the game. Let's just see how they respond next...

Mod Abuse end

With the arcade version releasing today, I guess Capcom decided that consumers shouldn't be able to choose to buy the cheaper NES version anymore. Which is weird, since the Genesis version has also been up for a long time.

According to the Nintendolife forums, you'll be offered a refund in the next few days if you've already downloaded Ghosts n Goblins NES.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't like that at all. What if someone wants both versions? Or they prefer one or the other?.

It's funny coming from Capcom, as the VC has a billion different ports of Street Fighter II.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the nes version is only virtually impossible, since the red arremers aren't as nasty and you can glitch them and make them disappear IF YOU'RE A DIRTY CHEATER. the arcade version is functionally impossible.

edit: and the last level is just a bunch of red arremers sitting on platforms. if i get that far in the arcade version i just start crying and turn it off

Pyrokai

I'm.....at a loss for words. Why not take the SNES version off, too?

Extremely disappointed. I'm surprised they're allowed to do this.

Jonnyboy117 said:
Refund makes no sense. It's not like they can delete it from your system if you've already downloaded it.
But you can't redownload it ever again. One of those downsides of DD, remember?

Evlar

Banned
Doesn't seem all that different from pulling copies from retail shelves or simply not producing any more print runs.... Which publishers have been doing since forever.

Haunted

Download game, wait for the company to take it down, keep the game yet get a refund. Seems like a sweet deal.

Fairly certain they have no way to disable/remove a channel you installed.

edit: one of you guys needs to change that avatar, I thought someone double posted.

Psy-Phi

In the case of Stream and XBL when a game is removed, people who bought it can still play it.

I can't believe Nintendo's service would disable the access to the game or remove it. Can it?

Haunted

Evlar said:
Doesn't seem all that different from pulling copies from retail shelves or simply not producing any more print runs.... Which publishers have been doing since forever.
I never got a refund for a game I owned when the publishers stopped selling them.

DD is awesome.

Boney

Banned
Psy-Phi said:
In the case of Stream and XBL when a game is removed, people who bought it can still play it.

I can't believe Nintendo's service would disable the access to the game or remove it. Can it?
You can still play the game if you have it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think this is a misuse of the VC.

This isn't the place we go to get the latest and greatest version of a game... It's not Wiiware or XBLA. In that setting, you could understand them releasing one definitive version of a game, rather than multiple ports.

It's supposed to be a digital archive.. A recreation of various console's libraries as close as possible. I actually thought Capcom's many ports of SFII made sense. Someone should be able to go into the archive, and buy whichever version they desire.

Reducing these archives for any reason is a bad sign..

Haunted

BocoDragon said:

This isn't the place we go to get the latest and greatest version of a game... It's not Wiiware or XBLA. In that setting, you could understand them releasing one definitive version of a game, rather than multiple ports.

It's supposed to be a digital archive. A recreation of various console's libraries as close as possible.
I actually thought Capcom's many ports of SFII made sense. Someone should be able to go into the archive, and buy whichever version they desire.
It's nice to want things, and I find the idea of an eternal digital archive very appealing (kinda like GOG.com and other platforms are for the PC).

But I'm pretty sure the VC is just another place for companies to make money. So if Capcom decides they only want one version of GnG up there, it's in their right to do so.

Doesn't mean I like it, but saying "it's supposed to be" is a bit presumptuous. You don't get to decide what the VC is or isn't.

Salsa

angelfly said:
Digital distribution is truly the future.
RurouniZel said:
Unfortunately.

I hate this shit.

Stop looking at your own situation and think big. If it wasnt for digital distribution id have to pay 100+USD for a retail new release. The US isnt the only country in the world guys.

drohne said:
the nes version is only virtually impossible, since the red arremers aren't as nasty and you can glitch them and make them disappear IF YOU'RE A DIRTY CHEATER. the arcade version is functionally impossible.

edit: and the last level is just a bunch of red arremers sitting on platforms. if i get that far in the arcade version i just start crying and turn it off

I've beaten them both. All it takes is try, try again (in between maniacal hair-pulling and screaming). Sooner or later the damned bastard machine lets you win somehow.

epmode

LOL @ the digital distribution hater squad that comes out of the fucking woodwork whenever a thread like this comes along.

This time, though, I'm with them. And it's all Nintendo's fault.

99.99999% of the time, all owners of a game at the time of the delisting will be able to re-download the game any time in the future. I have no problem with that.

But since Nintendo is worthless and can't code a decent DD store to save their life, there's no way for them to provide access ONLY to previous owners.

Now that I think about it, I can't remember this ever happening before. A few sites went out of business and couldn't provide refunds, obviously, but never this.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
Digital distribution would be great without publishers

Or, you know, store runners that don't cow to publishers.

Pretty much. In the end, this is still very much an issue where the fault is with the publisher and those who abide by them, not digital distribution itself.

Goon Boon

Banned
If anything they should just give owners of the NES version the arcade version, and a refund ontop of that. This is just BS :/

Agent X

Gold Member
BocoDragon said:

It's supposed to be a digital archive.. A recreation of various console's libraries as close as possible. I actually thought Capcom's many ports of SFII made sense. Someone should be able to go into the archive, and buy whichever version they desire.

Reducing these archives for any reason is a bad sign..

I agree with this. Even though I don't buy much from Virtual Console (only one thing so far), it's good to see Nintendo working to create a "digital archive" of classic games. One of the best things about having multiple versions of a game is that they'd all be readily available.

Although the arcade versions of classic games were usually superior from at least a technological standpoint, sometimes the differences in the home versions would give them a distinct feel of their own. Atari 2600 arcade conversions (which, sadly, are missing from Virtual Console, as is any representation of Atari whatsoever) usually couldn't replicate the graphics or sounds very accurately, so they made up for it by offering a multitude of gameplay variations that you couldn't get from the arcades.

Whether the NES version of Ghosts 'n Goblins is "inferior" to the arcade game is a matter of personal opinion. There might be people out there who preferred the NES version of the game over the arcade version, for whatever reason. Maybe someone had the NES version of the game years ago, and played that game religiously while having little or no contact with the arcade game. To that individual person, the NES version of the game would be the definitive version, as that's the game with which his cherished memories reside.

Salsa

Leondexter said:
Does not compute.

I = Uruguay = third world country where retail prices are insane.

Happens in a lot of countries, stuff like Steam is pretty much a blessing around here.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
SalsaShark said:
I hate this shit.

Stop looking at your own situation and think big. If it wasnt for digital distribution id have to pay 100+USD for a retail new release. The US isnt the only country in the world guys.

I'm going to quote myself so you understand where I come from. From this thread.

RurouniZel said:
I'm fine with DD. DD only can go fuck itself.

When people talk about DD Future, they're implying DD only. And that can go fuck right off.

Salsa

RurouniZel said:
I'm going to quote myself so you understand where I come from. From this thread.

Oh, i agree there.

My future will probably be DD only, but no reason for not being able to get nice boxart and manuals if i really want to.

Platy

EmCeeGramr said:
Meanwhile, five versions of Street Fighter II remain.

I would not complain AT ALL if they add the Super Street Fighter II arcade version and delete the others

Wow, Capcom is not helping DD supporters cause/argument.

Anyway Sega did it the right way with Out Run on 360 while Capcom is going about it all wrong.

Salsa

Catshade said:
Wow, those third world countries sure are lucky. Meanwhile in another first world country (a.k.a Australia)...

Sucks :/

Besides the difference in the amount of money we make/spend (comparing Uruguay to Australia i mean) there's the fact that monetary wise, there is no real approach to videogames. They used to be somewhat supported, there used to be a nintendo.com.uy, and i'll always remember when they came to Expo Prado to show off the Virtual Boy and stuff like that :lol

But now, no one really cares. That's the main reason why we can get low prices on Steam and such, because no one cares and the amount of people that use it are very very little.

If more people start using services like that, i wouldnt be surprised to see a rise in prices/taxes.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Augemitbutter said:
wait, they can disable or remove it from your console somehow? refund?

omg, digital downloads are indeed the future :lol

No you'll still have it if you have it installed

but you can't redownload it should you ever delete it, which is what you pay for; The rights to download the content. So they're refunding your money because they are no longer delivering on that right.

This doesn't affect me but I don't see it as that bad if they give you a full refund on your purchase when rare instances like this occur.

Kalnos

Banned
Digital distribution1!!1 :lol

And then you realize it would have never been there in the first place without it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fantasy Final said:
I'm reading this thread while playing on my SNES with real cartridges. DD can suck my balls.

i'm reading this thread while playing on my pc--or my wii--or my ps3--or my cell phone--or my psp--or my tablet--or my laptop with ROMs from cartridges I bought. With save states if I want them, screenshots if I want them, filters if I want them (yuck), cheat codes if I want them, or netplay if I want it. Best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom