• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo removes Ghosts 'n' Goblins NES from US VC due to poor sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsanezX2

Slavik81 said:
Yeah, 'cause it's not like retail stores ever stop selling something.

Yeah, but you can still buy a physical copy used. Its not a big deal with this game since you can just buy an old NES cart if you really want it, but anything that's dd only is just gone when they do something like this. There's no longer a legal way to obtain it. I don't mind dd as an option, but a move to dd only would suck.

epmode said:
I can still redownload Smash TV, I just tried it a day or two ago.

And if previous owners of NES GnG can still download their copy, this thread has been a huge waste of time.

You can still download it. They just can't sell it because Midway is dissolved and their is nobody to pay royalties to. But if you've already paid for it you can download it as many times as you want.

nincompoop said:
Which is weird, since the Genesis version has also been up for a long time.
Pyrokai said:
Why not take the SNES version off, too?
Erm, you both realize those are sequels, right?

But yeah, REALLY dumb of Capcom to remove the NES version of Ghosts & Goblins. WTF is that shit?!

DaBargainHunta said:
Erm, you both realize those are sequels, right?

But yeah, REALLY dumb of Capcom to remove the NES version of Ghosts & Goblins. WTF is that shit?!
Yeah, after I posted the thread I remembered that the Genesis got Ghouls 'n Ghosts instead of Ghosts 'n Goblins, but I was hoping nobody would notice lol. I blame Capcom for their stupid naming conventions.

This is a path I'm really hoping DD doesn't go gown.

That said, this game abused me. I still completed it, but I'm not sure if I was the same person anymore.

rocK`

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I hate this shit.

Stop looking at your own situation and think big. If it wasnt for digital distribution id have to pay 100+USD for a retail new release. The US isnt the only country in the world guys.

Yeah guys, stop thinking about the power being in the publisher's hands, how you're merely renting out your games as long as its being provided by someone else and think about SalsaShark not being able to afford such games!

THINK BIG GUYS!

Salsa

rocK` said:
Yeah guys, stop thinking about the power being in the publisher's hands, how you're merely renting out your games as long as its being provided by someone else and think about SalsaShark not being able to afford such games!

THINK BIG GUYS!

sigh...

you really think im talking from my situation only ? :/

I think what i said was pretty clear man, idk. If you wanna go that deep into it, be my guest, but im talking about the fact that there are BIG advantages to digital distribution. The fact that it makes games more accesible for countries where prices go insane over taxes and such is just one of them.

What's funny is most people here would never have dled the NES version anyways. Even if both versions are up, people would always recommend the arcade one over the NES one. What Capcom did is make the people who own the NES one winners! They just got a big bucket full of win by getting a VC game that is now no longer available for everyone else. and now that it's no longer up, people want it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Mockingbird said:
What's funny is most people here would never have dled the NES version anyways. Even if both versions are up, people would always recommend the arcade one over the NES one. What Capcom did is make the people who own the NES one winners! They just got a big bucket full of win by getting a VC game that is now no longer available for everyone else. and now that it's no longer up, people want it.
I like this post because it has truth in it

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Lambtron said:
I'm super skeptical of DD future. This doesn't help matters.
645 circa 1995: "Sega Channel is incredible. I'll never have to buy a Genesis game ever again."
645 circa 1997: "...Fuck, I have no games."

Ever since, I have only ever used DD when there are no other options.

Catshade

Speaking of old games on DD stores, I like Sega's jib. They just released Shining Force 1/2/Shining in the Darkness, Streets of Rage 1/2, Landstalker, and Gunstar Heroes on Gamersgate. Best of all, they're all DRM-free so you don't have to worry about them being pulled from the store as long as you have the installer backed up.

Alright. I just got a response from Capcom...

It was not our decision to remove the game from the Virtual Console. Nintendo has a policy stating that if a game doesn't sell enough units they can remove it from their online service. This is the case with the NES version of the game. If you wish to see this game on the Virtual Console again I suggest you contact Nintendo and request come back.
CAPCOM Customer Support

So apparently, it's NOA's decision to remove the NES version of the game. Let's just see how they respond next...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nuclear Muffin said:
Alright. I just got a response from Capcom...

So apparently, it's NOA's decision to remove the NES version of the game. Let's just see how they respond next...

Poor sales my ass. :lol

If a classic like Ghost and Goblins can be pulled merely due to "low sales", than 90% of the library would have been pulled. No, all this does is change the company responsible for trying to boost sales of the arcade version.

Thread title should be changed to have "poor sales" in quotes.

I mean, the NES version of Ghosts 'n' Goblins can't have sales THAT bad that it's the only one taken down, especially coinciding with the release of another version. There are a ton of obscure games on the SMS and TG-16 that would have probably gotten the axe first.

Seriously, someone check to see if NES GnG is the only one removed, or if others were taken off and people only noticed that game because of the other version.

I find it very hard to believe that Ghosts 'n Goblins NES is the first title to have fallen below a certain threshold, and that it happened at exactly the time its superior arcade version was released.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cosmonaut X said:
I find it very hard to believe that Ghosts 'n Goblins NES is the first title to have fallen below a certain threshold, and that it happened at exactly the time its superior arcade version was released.

Exactly. The "poor sales" justification is bullshit. Something else is going on.

Wikipedia's list is already updated to reflect the change. I'm not seeing any other games crossed out and I certainly never heard of any being removed before.

alf717

I can still buy the game. It is under "search" select Capcom as the publisher. I wish I had the points to buy it since it is going away.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What a load of bollocks. Nintendo just want a slice of the 800 points you'll pay for the Arcade version. Pretty ugly precedent to set. Did Nintendo put Yamauchi back in charge for a day or something?

ZealousD said:
Exactly. The "poor sales" justification is bullshit. Something else is going on.

Unless we're to believe that, say, NES Baseball or Tennis had better sales than GnG NES, there definitely is something else going on.

My guess? Capcom requested that Nintendo remove the NES version to push the more expensive (and superior) arcade version. Nintendo don't seem to have had any issue with low-selling games before, nor have they had any problems with multiple versions of games on the VC service.

It's not a nice precedent to set though, especially for a service that could boast fantastic emulation and served as a great archive, even for iffy ports.

Amir0x

Banned
No way would GnG magically be the first victim of such a policy; its name is not even remotely as obscure as half the garbage on VC.

"update" or not, it sounds fishy as fuck

entremet

:lol

Did Nintendo run out of space? How big the ROM file? 50KB? Not a good precedent. Isn't the point of DD to have unlimited shelf space.

If wonder if Nintendo will do this when they release the arcade version of Donkey Kong. One could wish, though.

Guys, the NES version is back on the US Wii shop now!

Looks like they listened to us! (or it was just a simple cock up. The same thing happened to a DSi Ware game a few weeks back, only to reappear a few days later)

Rejoice! :D

alf717 said:
What was wrong with that game?

BTW guys GnG is still for sale. When is it be taken down is the new question.
Apparently the game crashed after beating the first stage or something. Sad thing is, it took around a year for them to notice and take it down :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom