• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo removes Ghosts 'n' Goblins NES from US VC due to poor sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Pyrokai said:
Why not take the SNES version off, too?

It's a different game, not a different version.

On one side of the coin here, it's fitting that they're focusing on the definitive version of the game by doing this. On the other side, it's baffling to see Capcom of all developers removing a version of a game to present another to people. Of all companies out there they heavily benefit from having 17 versions of any game out at the same time. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
i'm reading this thread while playing on my pc--or my wii--or my ps3--or my cell phone--or my psp--or my tablet--or my laptop with ROMs from cartridges I bought. With save states if I want them, screenshots if I want them, filters if I want them (yuck), cheat codes if I want them, or netplay if I want it. Best of both worlds.

Filters do look nice with select SNES games.

TunaLover

EmCeeGramr said:
It came out today.
Oh =P

Foffy said:
It came out today
It's a different game, not a different version.

On the other side, it's baffling to see Capcom of all developers removing a version of a game to present another to people. Of all companies out there they heavily benefit from having 17 versions of any game out at the same time.

EDIT: Maybe they want people associate Ghost'n'Goblins name with the arcade version, or even it could be Nintendo who told Capcom drop the NES version, in place for the superior one.

I just see G'n'G NES on youtube, it's exactly the same arcade version with less flashy graphics...

Stumpokapow said:
i'm reading this thread while playing on my pc--or my wii--or my ps3--or my cell phone--or my psp--or my tablet--or my laptop with ROMs from cartridges I bought. With save states if I want them, screenshots if I want them, filters if I want them (yuck), cheat codes if I want them, or netplay if I want it. Best of both worlds.
:lol

*Not sarcasm btw*

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
epmode said:
But since Nintendo is worthless and can't code a decent DD store to save their life, there's no way for them to provide access ONLY to previous owners.
What? Yes there is. Right there on the Wii Shop Channel page.

Titles You've Downloaded

It is confirmed that going to that page still doesn't give you access to the game?

Htown

BocoDragon said:
I think this is a misuse of the VC.

This isn't the place we go to get the latest and greatest version of a game... It's not Wiiware or XBLA. In that setting, you could understand them releasing one definitive version of a game, rather than multiple ports.

It's supposed to be a digital archive.. A recreation of various console's libraries as close as possible. I actually thought Capcom's many ports of SFII made sense. Someone should be able to go into the archive, and buy whichever version they desire.

Reducing these archives for any reason is a bad sign..
What? No it isn't. It was never that.

If it was, there wouldn't be so many obvious games missing.

You can redownload the NES version if you've already bought it. I checked it not long ago and it's still on my list.

I've emailed Nintendo and Capcom. Let's see what they have to say about it.

bon

Nuclear Muffin said:
You can redownload the NES version if you've already bought it. I checked it not long ago and it's still on my list.

I've emailed Nintendo and Capcom. Let's see what they have to say about it.
I just checked too. It doesn't show up in a normal search anymore, but I can still find and download it from Titles You've Downloaded.

Will we still get a refund? I wouldn't mind a free NES game. :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hm. I've read something on GAF before that said Capcom doesn't actually have much say in which of their games are posted on the VC and when. Previously, I had heard that Nintendo basically has a license to their catalog and gets to choose what goes up, and Capcom just gets a cut of the sales. Nintendo essentially acts as the "publisher" in this relationship, and any de-listing would be done because of them or at the very least only with their consent. Not sure if that's actually true, though.

TreIII said:
Pretty much. In the end, this is still very much an issue where the fault is with the publisher and those who abide by them, not digital distribution itself.
DD cannot fail; it can only BE failed.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This is a puzzling move... I mean, yes, there is the whole "it's $3 more" thing, but part of me finds it hard to believe that's the sole reason for this move.

Do we know that it's Capcom behind this? I ask as I had the distinct impression there was an early interview in which a Capcom guy said NOA/NCL was entirely behind which NES titles appear on the service, and that Capcom had licensed out their entire back catalog and had no say in what went up.

Why For?

Banned
I can see what some are upset about, but if you already own it you get a refund, and it's not like it was the best version so does it REALLY matter that much?

This probably only affects a handful of GAF Wii owners anyway. Outside GAf, I doubt it affects more than 3 people. At least negatively anyway.

inner-G

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
It's never the same. Sound, controllers, slowdown, etc.; emu almost never seems the same as the real deal.

Tain

Dumb that purchasers can't redownload the game, but I'm okay with them choosing to no longer offer the NES version for purchase now that the real deal is on the service.

inner-G said:
It's never the same. Sound, controllers, slowdown, etc.; emu almost never seems the same as the real deal.

I'm pretty confident that I could show you an emulation-powered setup that you wouldn't be able to distinguish from the real thing. I mean, it takes effort, but with all the controllers and audiovisual options available today, you could take it so far that the only thing you'd be missing is the original plastic.

I'm glad that my love for said plastic (everyone here has some degree of this) isn't strong enough to prevent me from enjoying the games themselves when emulation is my best choice.

Emitan

PetriP-TNT said:
But you can't redownload it ever again. One of those downsides of DD, remember?
Can you even redownload stuff at all on the Wii? I thought it was a one time thing for everything.

Htown

Tain said:
Dumb that purchasers can't redownload the game, but I'm okay with them choosing to no longer offer the NES version for purchase now that the real deal is on the service.
Yes they can.

TunaLover

DavidDayton said:
This is a puzzling move... I mean, yes, there is the whole "it's $3 more" thing, but part of me finds it hard to believe that's the sole reason for this move.

Do we know that it's Capcom behind this? I ask as I had the distinct impression there was an early interview in which a Capcom guy said NOA/NCL was entirely behind which NES titles appear on the service, and that Capcom had licensed out their entire back catalog and had no say in what went up.

Yep, Capcom could easily take double dipers sales, it probably fall into Nintendo's VC policies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
inner-G said:

controllers: i can play using a snes controller OR any vastly superior controllers out there
slowdown: you can do frame-for-frame emulation and include slowdown OR wipe it out and play games without annoying old issues

sound is a good point, and many emulator sound cores are deficient. my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference but i appreciate that. of course the beauty of my approach is that I also have the cart and can easily play it on one of the two SNESes I have :p

Foxix Von

It's nice of them to offer a refund at least. Microsoft never did that for any of the crap they pulled off. Still bullshit they're taking it down though.

*waves cane at front lawn*

Emitan

Foxix said:
It's nice of them to offer a refund at least. Microsoft never did that for any of the crap they pulled off. Still bullshit they're taking it down though.

*waves cane at front lawn*
What paid games have they taken down? The only games I know of are free.

nicknick

I'd bought the game when it first arrived on VC but the deleted it, thinking I could just redownload whenever. I just checked, and the game was available and I've downloaded it to my Wii again. So it is still available as of now.

Still hard as fuck.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How do you dump/rip your own carts stump?

Half the reason I don't use flash carts on my DS is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to dump the games.

Foxix Von

Billychu said:
Oh, I thought you mean XBLA arcade games. I never got to play Spies vs Mercs in Splinter Cell because I bought it too late ;_;
Hey, at least you didn't waste any money on dlc.

MisterHero

But I gifted this game to someone a few years back :lol

you're not undoing my gift are you Capcom? =(

The arcade version is nice, but why the effort of actually removing something?

xemumanic

So wait........WHY did they take it off? Is it because there's a bug in the game/emulator, or is it just because its the cheapest version to get?

KevinCow

Banned
xemumanic said:
So wait........WHY did they take it off? Is it because there's a bug in the game/emulator, or is it just because its the cheapest version to get?

Because it's the cheapest version to get.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Htown said:
What? No it isn't. It was never that.

If it was, there wouldn't be so many obvious games missing.
Obviously there will be many games that will never be rereleased on VC.. But yeah, I think the aim of the VC is to be as comprehensive a library of old games as possible. Removing games for reasons other than legal ones is not something I would condone if I were Nintendo. It's their business right.. But I think it sets an ugly precident. Maybe next time they'll take Mario 1, 2 and 3 of the VC to sell All Stars discs... :p

Htown

So for people who already own this, they keep the game and ALSO get a refund?

Haunted

KevinCow said:
Because it's the cheapest version to get.
I thought NES and Arcade games are both 500?

Htown said:
So for people who already own this, they keep the game and ALSO get a refund?
That's what I've been saying all this time :lol Seems like a good deal to anyone who's purchased this. Free 500 points, essentially.

PetriP-TNT said:
But you can't redownload it ever again. One of those downsides of DD, remember?

it's not a downside of DD. Microsoft lets you redownload stuff like Double Dragon if you've purchased it before, they just don't sell it anymore. This is a Nintendo/Capcom thing, and not some flaw of the DD system.

Htown

BocoDragon said:
Obviously there will be many games that will never be rereleased on VC.. But yeah, I think the aim of the VC is to be as comprehensive a library of old games as possible. Removing games for reasons other than legal ones is not something I would condone if I were Nintendo. It's their business right.. But I think it sets an ugly precident. Maybe next time they'll take Mario 1, 2 and 3 of the VC to sell All Stars discs... :p
What? :lol

Like, what are you even basing this on? It's just a store where you can buy old games for previous systems. It's based on which games they think will still sell, it's not a "library" for anything. There are over 700 games for the SNES, for example, and four and a half years in, they've only put up 61. They aren't even putting up some of the popular ones. Starfox, Earthbound and Yoshi's Island are totally missing, for example. What "library" would be missing those games?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ninja Scooter said:
it's not a downside of DD. Microsoft lets you redownload stuff like Double Dragon if you've purchased it before, they just don't sell it anymore. This is a Nintendo/Capcom thing, and not some flaw of the DD system.
I read you cant redownload it anymore now in another thread.

Referring to Double Dragon and those other Midway games.

MoxManiac

I just got to thinking about this a little more, and I don't think I like it. Usually when content is taken down from XBLA and PSN (the most recent example would be the Marvel Ultimate Alliances DLCs, I guess), those that already bought it can still download it forever even after it's taken off the marketplace.

But it appears when the same happens to something on VC/WiiWare, it disapears for everyone. Granted, they are refunding, but still...

Htown

MoxManiac said:
I just got to thinking about this a little more, and I don't think I like it. Usually when content is taken down from XBLA and PSN (the most recent example would be the Marvel Ultimate Alliances DLCs, I guess), those that already bought it can still download it forever even after it's taken off the marketplace.

But it appears when the same happens to something on VC/WiiWare, it disapears for everyone. Granted, they are refunding, but still...
No it doesn't.

Goddamnit, people.

You're just so set on thinking that the VC is a crappy service that you're going on and on about the games not being downloadable, when it has been stated multiple times in this thread that you can download the game again as much as you want through the TITLES YOU'VE DOWNLOADED option on the main Wii Shop screen.

epmode

dallow_bg said:
I read you cant redownload it anymore now in another thread.

Referring to Double Dragon and those other Midway games.
I can still redownload Smash TV, I just tried it a day or two ago.

And if previous owners of NES GnG can still download their copy, this thread has been a huge waste of time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Htown said:
What? :lol

Like, what are you even basing this on? It's just a store where you can buy old games for previous systems. It's based on which games they think will still sell, it's not a "library" for anything. There are over 700 games for the SNES, for example, and four and a half years in, they've only put up 61. They aren't even putting up some of the popular ones. Starfox, Earthbound and Yoshi's Island are totally missing, for example. What "library" would be missing those games?
That's not really the argument Im making. Besides, that's a little like saying "how can blu-ray be a comprehensive movie format if it doesn't have Indiana Jones"? Presumably Yoshis Island will come at a later date to this service or a successor VC.

My actual point: delisting games from a from a service that is supposed to offer access to gaming's back catalog is a shitty move that undermines the completeness of the service.

SalsaShark said:
I = Uruguay = third world country where retail prices are insane.

Happens in a lot of countries, stuff like Steam is pretty much a blessing around here.

Not what I meant. You tell someone to see the big picture, then give a very specific view of your own. Struck me as funny. I'm very aware that being a gamer used to or does suck in many/most parts of the world.

MoxManiac

Htown said:
No it doesn't.

Yes it does. GnG NES will not be redownloadable for people that already bought it. If you bought GnG NES and delete it, it's gone for ever. Why do you think they are refunding points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom