• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals Legend of Zelda series timeline

Quick question -- how does TP fit into the child timeline? I feel like (though I might be mistaken) there were a lot of references in TP to the "Hero of Time" and his heroic exploits in OoT, but if what the timeline says is true then none of that actually happened in said child timeline, since Link was sent back into the past.

Quick question -- how does TP fit into the child timeline? I feel like (though I might be mistaken) there were a lot of references in TP to the "Hero of Time" and his heroic exploits in OoT, but if what the timeline says is true then none of that actually happened in said child timeline, since Link was sent back into the past.

Protip: Nintendo doesn't care.

Kai

Nope - the reference is to the hero of legend. " Hero's bow" and things like that - nothing about the hero of "time".

OoT Link stopped Ganon's plot to take over Hyrule, went on to save Termina and was enough of a warrior to become the hero's shade as an adult. Presumably, he did other stuff too.

Iwata: "So how are we going to explain this timeline the fanboys invented? They seem to be very invested in it"
Miyamoto: "I've explained the ones from Ocarina Of Time on, sure I keep forgetting my explanation but that should keep them occupied. Besides how are we going to explain all the games that don't fit?"
Iwata: "How about Link dies and all that shit happens?"
Miyamoto: "Brilliant! And they can fill in the plotholes for us using the mighty powers of speculation!"
Iwata: *laughs

Iwata: "So how are we going to explain this timeline the fanboys invented? They seem to be very invested in it"
Miyamoto: "I've explained the ones from Ocarina Of Time on, sure I keep forgetting my explanation but that should keep them occupied. Besides how are we going to explain all the games that don't fit?"
Iwata: "How about Link dies and all that shit happens?"
Miyamoto: "Brilliant! And they can fill in the plotholes for us using the mighty powers of speculation!"
Iwata: *laughs

The ironic thing is that they revealed it in a limited run, Japan-only art book. If they did this only at the behest of crazy Zelda fanboys, Japanese Zelda fanboys must be crazy indeed.

Haunted

We knew that Aonuma kept a drawing of the timeline in his drawer at work all along (half-jokingly, I'm sure), I just didn't expect they'd let us see it.

Not that it really matters anyway.

ASIS

This might be a stretch but I think they were referencing SS Link more than anything.

jwhit28

There are so many questions I want answers to. Zelda's journey during the 7 ear sleep in OoT, Link's life after Majora's Mask, most of all what made Hyrule a wasteland between Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda.

That being said, next I would love a Zelda game where I don' know what happens in the future.

beastmode

edit - but seriously, what is wrong with a what-if scenario? My previous theory was that it was a bunch of different continuities with OoT as a common starting point. This new official timeline is exactly that theory of mine in regards to the what-if trajectory.
because the what-if scenario is supposed to go after four swords adventures and the only reason its not is because that game is mostly forgotten

There are so many questions I want answers to. Zelda's journey during the 7 ear sleep in OoT, Link's life after Majora's Mask, most of all what made Hyrule a wasteland between Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda.

That being said, next I would love a Zelda game where I don' know what happens in the future.
It's only a certain part of Hyrule that's a "wasteland" in Zelda 1 & 2, as in Zelda II you branch out into a larger, much more expanded Hyrule and encounter far more civilization.

Zelda's journey through the 7 year sleep can be interpreted in-game I think. They imply that
Impa successfully got Zelda away from Gannondorf and managed to hide her.

Young Link's fate is left up to interpretation, and doesn't seem to have any impact on TP.

Big One

Banned
I really don't think that there is anything to support this.
Actually we have word in that it's confirmed the Hero's Shade is the Hero of Time. on the last page on TP's part of the timeline:

時の勇者子孫リンク
Link, the descendant of the Hero of Time

リンクが初めてトワイライトに足を踏み入れた際、手の甲に勇気のトライフォースの紋章が輝いて 獣の姿になり 、人間に戻った際には勇者が着ていたという縁衣をまとっていた。リンクは、先祖である時の勇者 の亡霊から奥 義を教わる。彼は子ども時代に戻って以降、勇者として名残せかったことを無念に感じていた。そ れゆえリンク に「息子よ」と語りかけ、勇気の証と奥義継いだのだ。

When Link first set foot in the Twilight, the crest of the Triforce of Courage shined on the back of his hand; when he returned to human-form he wore clothes the hero wore. Link is taught mysteries from the ghost of the hero of time. Since he returned to his childhood, he'd felt regret that he would leave his name as hero. Therefore, the "son" of Link speaks proof of the courage he inheirited mysteriously.

Brickhunt

Based on the Official timeline and the possibility of a 3DS remake of Majora's Mask, if I were Aonuma I would make the next game in the child time (Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess). So we can visit the land of Termina again and see how much it changed since the Majora's crisis.

Launch Majora's Mask for 3DS to increase the fan interest on Termina and then launch thew game. Termina is a nice alternative to Hyrule that has been already established and allows to explore some themes that we don't see on Hyrule (Like Advanced Technology)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I find the idea of a 3rd timeline where Link fails to be pretty dumb. That's not a split in the timeline, that's just a 'what if' scenario!

It isn't that much of a 'what if' if you consider all the people who started Ocarina but didn't finish it, therefore establishing the 'failure' timeline.

All these theory made me hope for an announcement of a 3DS Zelda.

And I hope it won't be a PH/ST-like Zelda. They were good and they had really good stuff. But they were waaaaaay too easy and I don't want want anymore boats or trains or birds.

It should be as difficult as the other Zelda's and have a big-ass open world
AND NO SHITTY CENTRAL DUNGEON WITH TIME LIMIT OR KNIGHT CONTROL. I hate that.

Big One

Banned
Some translations of Hyrule Historia that makes some things clear: http://forums.zeldainformer.com/threads/hyrule-historia-translations.8624/

Some notes:

• Oracle of Season -> Oracle of Ages is confirmed.
  • Twinrova from Oracles is the one who raised Ganondorf.
  • Ganondorf from Four Swords Adventure really is a reincarnation of Ganondorf.
  • The Triforce is obtained by the Royal Family after Twilight Princess.
  • The Minish Cap and Four Swords take place in the same era but feature a different Link and Zelda. The backstory featured in Four Swords about Vaati kidnapping maidens is a different event from The Minish Cap, despite featuring a previous Link.
And many more things, including fleshing out previously established backstories.

KingFire

Banned
Guys I have a question.
In TP, Link actually travel back in time and go to The Temple of Time of OoT. Where does that fit in the timeline?! Does this create a time fork again since TP's link left his timeline and got into another timeline?

I had some physics classes that are easier than this shit.

Guys I have a question.
In TP, Link actually travel back in time and go to The Temple of Time of OoT. Where does that fit in the timeline?! Does this create a time fork again since TP's link left his timeline and got into another timeline?

I had some physics classes that are easier than this shit.
I don't think you actually go back or forward in time during that segment, if my memory serves correctly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
HNNNNAAAAANNNNNDDDDDDD UNBANNED

Yikes. Of all the god damned two months to be banned COME ON.

I guess it's too late to brag like a moron about calling the LTTP-branch as being a distinct canon. Never would've predicted Link biting it as the splitting factor, though! I figured, if we really needed an in-universe explanation to cover up the real-world "Nintendo just just ignores those games" reason, maybe every backwards time-travel in OOT created another split timeline, leaving one behind where Link never actually saves the day, and rather just disappears forever, and LTTP happens in one (or all) of those.

With all these scans floating around now, has anyone actually scanned the main timeline page? I've taken all sorts of screenshots of the youtube walkthrough as reference but man I feel pretty dumb with those. I just want the original source text and placement there, the Glitterberry translation has a couple errors in it that I noticed already.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was this image ever posted?

O8HRF.jpg

WillyFive

Guys I have a question.
In TP, Link actually travel back in time and go to The Temple of Time of OoT. Where does that fit in the timeline?! Does this create a time fork again since TP's link left his timeline and got into another timeline.

If he did, and he did do something that changed the future, we haven't seen it, since no game has taken place in that new timeline.

If he did, and he did do something that changed the future, we haven't seen it, since no game has taken place in that new timeline.

Skyward Sword spoilers
SS establishes that there are various methods of time travel and two temples of time: the one in Lanaryu and the Sealed Grounds/Temple of Hylia in Faron.

The time travel you see in TP seems to restore the whole area to some previous state it was in in the past, which seems to be the same kind of time slip caused by time shift stones. That is to say that you personally are unaffected and it might be less time travel and more a temporary restoration of the area to a previous state.

The time travel you see in OoT and MM seems to take you back to a previous moment in the past, but with future memories intact.

For whatever reason, the second seems to cause time splits under certain circumstances while the first doesn't.

Also, the Temple of Time in Lanaryu appears to also be the ToT featured in OoT, whereas the Sealed Grounds/Temple of Hylia seems to be the ToT from TP, which explains why the ToT apparently moved between those games.

The Boat

Also, the Temple of Time in Lanaryu appears to also be the ToT featured in OoT, whereas the Sealed Grounds/Temple of Hylia seems to be the ToT from TP, which explains why the ToT apparently moved between those games.

Hmm, the Sealed Grounds/Temple of Hylia are definitely the Temple of Time from OoT, that much is clear. I think it even says so in the scans. The Temple of Time in Lanaryu may be what will become the Arbiter Grounds.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah watchoo talkin 'bout squirrel.
I mean it sure would be great if the two temples in Skyward Sword explained a "moving" Temple of Time between OOT and TP, absolutely! But.. the Master Sword moves, too. You can't have the Master Sword in BOTH temples, come on now.

RagnarokX

TP doesn't reference the Hero of Time. There are references to the era like the Temple of Time and Ganon's trial, but nothing about the adventure because it didn't happen. OoT couldn't have happened with the Ganon execution cutscene in TP.

Kard8p3

TP doesn't reference the Hero of Time. There are references to the era like the Temple of Time and Ganon's trial, but nothing about the adventure because it didn't happen. OoT couldn't have happened with the Ganon execution cutscene in TP.

However the Hyrule historia says that the hero's shade is in fact the Hero of Time.

RagnarokX

However the Hyrule historia says that the hero's shade is in fact the Hero of Time.

Yeah. That has nothing to do with what I said though...

Child Timeline:

Link is sent back to before he met Zelda and still has the Triforce of Courage.
Link and Zelda tell the King about Ganon and he believes them.
Zelda sends Link away with the Ocarina of Time to prevent Ganon from getting it (Majora's Mask happens).
Ganon is captured and the sages attempt to execute him. Ganon uses the Triforce of Power to survive and the sages banish him to the Twilight Realm.
Link returns from Termina, grows up, dies, and becomes the Hero's Shade.
OoT still never happened in this timeline.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I didn't notice any references explicitly to the Hero of Time legend in Twilight Princess. Wind Waker, on the other hand, starts the whole game with it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They do talk about the tunic the Zora king made for the hero. And the goron bow used by the hero, coincidentally (or not) also named for the bow Link gets in Majora's Mask.

Seems to me that he may not be the "Hero of Time" any more since OOT never happens, but he still grew up to be quite a hero after Majora's Mask, as the shade implies. Coulda still fancied around in Hyrule with that tunic and bow.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They do talk about the tunic the Zora king made for the hero. And the goron bow used by the hero, coincidentally (or not) also named for the bow Link gets in Majora's Mask.

Seems to me that he may not be the "Hero of Time" any more since OOT never happens, but he still grew up to be quite a hero after Majora's Mask, as the shade implies. Coulda still fancied around in Hyrule with that tunic and bow.

That seems logical.

Tuck

People would probably know of what he did. Its not like a kid would go to the king, be like "This dude is out to get you,' and not have a story and proof to back it up.

Hmm, the Sealed Grounds/Temple of Hylia are definitely the Temple of Time from OoT, that much is clear. I think it even says so in the scans. The Temple of Time in Lanaryu may be what will become the Arbiter Grounds.

Probably. I don't think the desert just magically becomes green again. I think the SS desert is, in basically its entirety is the Gerudo desert.

The location of the ToT in TP is confusing though, unless the entire city just got up and moved...

CrazyDude

People would probably know of what he did. Its not like a kid would go to the king, be like "This dude is out to get you,' and not have a story and proof to back it up.

Probably. I don't think the desert just magically becomes green again. I think the SS desert is, in basically its entirety is the Gerudo desert.

The location of the ToT in TP is confusing though, unless the entire city just got up and moved...

We are talking about a game that has people living on islands in the sky. I think the natural laws in Zelda are a bit different than the real world.

Tuck

We are talking about a game that has people living on islands in the sky. I think the natural laws in Zelda are a bit different than the real world.

Fair enough, but I think that'd be stupid that the area just jumps back and forth like that. I much prefer the idea that the ToT in the desert becomes the spirit temple which later becomes arbiter grounds. The location works out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Eiji Aonuma said:
Chapter 2, “The Full History of Hyrule,” arranges the series in
chronological order so it’s easier to understand, but from the very
beginning, Zelda games have been developed with the top priority of
focusing on the game mechanics rather than the story. For example, in
Ocarina of Time, the first installment of the series I was involved
in, the main theme was how to create a game with pleasant controls in
a 3D world. Or in the DS game, Phantom Hourglass, the focus was having
comfortable stylus controls. Finally, in the most recent game, Skyward
Sword, we focused on an easy way to swing the sword using the Wii
motion plus.

Thinking of that way of developing the games, it may be correct to
say that the story is an appendix to that. I even think that setting
Skyward Sword as the “first story,” was merely a coincidence.

While reading over “The Full History of Hyrule,” it’s possible that
some parts may look contradictory. For instance, the Mogma race or the
beetle item that appear on the very first story do not appear on any
other game that takes place in the future. I’d like to ask everyone
just to enjoy the book and to be broad-minded, and to think that those
parts are the way they are because of the way Zelda games are
developed.

From here: http://www.glitterberri.com/hyrule-historia/page-238/

This is hardly news to anyone who has approached the timeline in a obviously-everything's-not-purposeful-canon fashion, but it's nice to have it laid out so plainly. When things don't line up... they just don't like up. "Whups." These are games first, stories second.

Multi-racial/human sages, moving Temple of Time, a dead Hero of Time?

"Whups."

Yeah watchoo talkin 'bout squirrel.
I mean it sure would be great if the two temples in Skyward Sword explained a "moving" Temple of Time between OOT and TP, absolutely! But.. the Master Sword moves, too. You can't have the Master Sword in BOTH temples, come on now.
Why can't the Master Sword move? Serious question. All you do is pick up the pedestal and shift it. Rauru put the roof onto the Temple of Time to seal off the Sacred Realm, remember? Maybe he had the Master Sword moved when that happened to provide the seal?

Also, two temples, one explicitly called the Temple of Time in Lanaryu. Where is Hyrule Castle town in TP? Lanaryu Province.

The other is in Faron while in TP, you go to a Temple of Time adjoining Faron Woods.

Fair enough, but I think that'd be stupid that the area just jumps back and forth like that. I much prefer the idea that the ToT in the desert becomes the spirit temple which later becomes arbiter grounds. The location works out.

What? No it doesn't.
The location of the Gerudo Desert corresponds better with the dried up sea.

EDIT: Seriously, look at the TP map some time. The Gerudo Desert isn't marked as part of Lanaryu province.

Tyeforce

The whole Temple of Time issue has been cleared up in the Hyrule Historia.

Hyrule Historia said:
•Hyrule Kingdom’s Establishment
Those who inherited the blood of the goddess, Hylia, who was reborn into Zelda, established Hyrule. They built a castle in the center of Hyrule, where the Temple of Time rested and watched over the Sacred Realm and the Triforce.

•Temple of Time
The only entrance to the Temple of Light in the Sacred Realm. Though it bears the same name as the temple that stood in the desert in ancient times, the Temple of Time constructed by Rauru is thought to be located where the Sealed Temple once stood.

So there you have it.
Hyrule Castle was built in the center of the newly established land of Hyrule, which would have been the Sealed Grounds next to the Sealed Temple, which became the Temple of Time.
That explains why the Temple of Time is next to Castle Town in Ocarina of Time. As for Twilight Princess, I suppose an easy explanation would be that Castle Town was moved north for one reason or another.

This whole timeline scenario seems to me like it's that scene in Return of the King when Gandalf (Fans) don't think Denethor (Nintendo) knows anything, but then he proceeds to get all indignatious-like.

So there you have it.
Hyrule Castle was built in the center of the newly established land of Hyrule, which would have been the Sealed Grounds next to the Sealed Temple, which became the Temple of Time.
That explains why the Temple of Time is next to Castle Town in Ocarina of Time. As for Twilight Princess, I suppose an easy explanation would be that Castle Town was moved north for one reason or another.

The text you posted talks about the Temple of Time in the centre of Hyrule i.e. the one in Lanaryu that was already called the Temple of Time, not the one in the south. That passage doesn't even mention the Sealed Grounds / Temple of Hylia.

Look at the TP map sometime - Lanaryu forms the centre of Hyrule. Also, even Skyward Sword implies that the Lanaryu Temple of Time and the Temple of Hylia are twins in that they both contain a Gate of Time.

All the second passage confirms is what I'm saying - that the Sealed Grounds also became known as the Temple of Time..

Rekubot

So there you have it.

The text you posted talks about the Temple of Time in the centre of Hyrule i.e. the one in Lanaryu that was already called the Temple of Time, not the one in the south. That passage doesn't even mention the Sealed Grounds / Temple of Hylia.

Look at the TP map sometime - Lanaryu forms the centre of Hyrule. Also, even Skyward Sword implies that the Lanaryu Temple of Time and the Temple of Hylia are twins in that they both contain a Gate of Time.

All the second passage confirms is what I'm saying - that the Sealed Grounds also became known as the Temple of Time..
Hang on, I'm lost.
Are you (squirrel) saying that Rauru didn't build the Lanaryu/castle town market ToT, but he did build the Faron woods/sealed grounds ToT? I doubt Nintendo had that in mind when they were making OoT, but your version makes more sense.

Tyeforce, a link for your quote would be nice.

Top Bottom