• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

HUELEN10

What is the way to do it? Do you have to have you're 3ds to transfer game saves to a new 3ds? Or can I just my memory card in my computer and connect the new 3ds to the computer and transfer it that way?

I'm trying to figure out out if it would be fine to trade in my 3ds now.
The former, not the latter, with both systems of the same region of course.

The only way you could trade in now and not lose your shit is if you did what I did and put everything on a low-value system like a 2DS and then sell the highe value system.

Assuming you have two systems in the first place.

HUELEN10

The original models probably aren't going to be on the market anymore.
Tell Scott Moffitt that! Having the DS LIte still being sold while the DSi was out was a disaster IMO. They need to kill 3DS within 3 months of the western launch of New Nintendo 3DS IMO.

Tell Scott Moffitt that! Having the DS LIte still being sold while the DSi was out was a disaster IMO. They need to kill 3DS within 3 months of the western launch of New Nintendo 3DS IMO.

Maybe they hope to sell 70% - 80% of their stock this year, and begin to kill the og models next year

So they'll have to make a new version of this already terrible table
6v1khQ7.png

Imagine that. New lines for "Plays N3DS games", "New controls", "Better 3D"
This is going to be so confusing for grandparents trying to buy a present.

No different than any other piece of technology

BowieZ

Banned
No different than any other piece of technology
Yeah I don't see grandparents looking at other detailed spec comparison charts and going "Oh yes I see, oh ... hmm, well clearly this one is the best for my needs! ... Shop-keep!!?"

They will generally go into the store having written down the one that is asked of them, or they ask for "the cheapest 3D DS device thing"* or "the newest 3D DS device thing".

*at which point the store assistant will either bring up the 2DS and say it's for kids with no 3D, or not.

Nikokuno

Yeah I don't see grandparents looking at other detailed spec comparison charts and going "Oh yes I see, oh ... hmm, well clearly this one is the best for my needs! ... Shop-keep!!?"

They will generally go into the store having written down the one that is asked of them, or they ask for "the cheapest 3D DS device thing"* or "the newest 3D DS device thing".

*at which point the store assistant will either bring up the 2DS and say it's for kids with no 3D, or not.

No new 3DS will be the 'only' handheld console to be sold in store by Nintendo... new 3DS replace the old one.

You're going to the store :
JP

new 3DS
new 3DS LL

Worldwide

new 3DS
new 3DS XL
2DS

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wonder when we're going to get more videos on new 3DS, showcasing more of its functionalities. I suppose soon, given it releases in less than a month in Japan.

L~A

Looks like the faceplates are available on Play-Asia... can anyone confirm? A bit busy atm :)

This should be good for those living abroad, since Amazon.jp doesn't ship those WW.

hongcha

I'm waiting to see if the LL models have a shimmer or sparkle in their "metallic" paint. If so, I'll cancel my preorder ASAP.

I came very close to buying an XL this summer, and am glad I didn't. I knew that, with my luck, they'd announce a new system. And they did.

I only use my 3DS sparingly, because I don't take it out of my house (due to OCD), and have been fine with the original teal one. But these look great.

HeroOfTime

Neo Member
I liked the idea of a new 3ds. It's not that i don't like the 3d from the first model (which i have) but have you tried playing games that use the Gyroscope with 3d on? You'll lose focus in no time.
A 3d that doesn't need to be glued on your face and can properly aim a bow seems like a buy to me!
And a second analog seems nice. That way you can still play Smash Bros. after the first one gets broken :p

*Waiting for Majora's Mask New 3ds Release Bundle*

I thought they were just going to be cheap plastic but the textures look really nice.
Different fabrics goes some way to explaining cost differences (I imagine cheap ones are plastic). I wonder how easy it will be for people to make their own (it is easy to buy fabric but you need some sort of base layer to hold it) and will we see etsy stores pop up with these sorts of things (there are a lot of decals out there for 3DS family including some which look a lot like the LE consoles).

The Pokemon RS ones are suede (which you have to buy a console bundle...seriously? console for plates?).

The famicom buttons are not on the LL eh? :[
The letters are coloured rather than the buttons. Maybe it is making it look more "mature"

urfe

Faceplates are available to preorder at a number of stores now, play-asia shows some cool pics:

Cover Plates No.012 (Felt)

Cover Plates No.024 (Wood)

I thought they were just going to be cheap plastic but the textures look really nice.

Actually wood is an automatic buy.

overcast

The buttons aren't, but the text colour is. Super odd decision.

New-3DS-models.jpg

The letters are coloured rather than the buttons. Maybe it is making it look more "mature"
Hmm. Think this changes the decision. The New 3DS just seems preferable aesthetically in every way. Those faceplates.. Plus, I'm sure the picture quality is better. I have large hands, that's the only thing that makes me think about choosing LL.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So only the small white one has the real Famicom buttons...
Meh i wanted to get this one anyways.
Cant deal with the picture quality on the xl.
The small one is way more crisp and sharp.
I am actually tempted to get the smaller one because I would just like a more compact and light option to use now and then, but yet still have a larger option around. The only problem is Nintendo's incredibly stupid DD system where you can only have your games on one system at a time and one-way transfer. I have a lot of DD games, and I have them because I don't want a bunch of fucking carts. Yet if I want to be able to switch between systems at will, carts are my only option. But even so, with some games that isn't an option because they bind your saves to the system.

Open it up, Nintendo! The more options you give me, the more money I give you!

The wooden cover plate is just awesome :eek:

I didn't know if I'd buy one or not when this was introduced but I'm now certain that I'm going to buy many of them (probably too much).

baterism

Faceplates are available to preorder at a number of stores now, play-asia shows some cool pics:

Cover Plates No.012 (Felt)

Cover Plates No.024 (Wood)

That wood plate looks mighty handsome. Drat, can't they released US/ASIA sooner.

Rocky

Banned
No new 3DS will be the 'only' handheld console to be sold in store by Nintendo... new 3DS replace the old one.

You're going to the store :
JP

new 3DS
new 3DS LL

Worldwide

new 3DS
new 3DS XL
2DS

You realize that when they announce the western release, they could very well announce a new 2DS as well, right? There was no 2DS in Japan, so there wouldn't be a new 2DS.

It would be dumb to keep selling the 2DS if they aren't going to keep selling the current 3DS and 3DS XL.

Nikokuno

You realize that when they announce the western release, they could very well announce a new 2DS as well, right? There was no 2DS in Japan, so there wouldn't be a new 2DS.

It would be dumb to keep selling the 2DS if they aren't going to keep selling the current 3DS and 3DS XL.

Wait & see, they could or should do a lot of think but nobody knows. The fact is Nintendo is going to release a revision of the OG 3DS, in the Japanese market, not more, not less.

I didn't speak about new 2DS, this handheld is - for me - going anywhere, don't even know why this ugly things came out...

PSP-2000 replace PSP-1000, PSP 3000 replace PSP-2000, etc ... Slim Vita LCD replace the OG Vita LED, you "can't' no find the old one and the new one at the same time, they always pushing the old one with rebates, packs to sold the old stock.

The Big N handheld is skyrocking in Japan, it was about time, that's why NOA/NOE don't announce anything but 2015.

Peltz

Do we know for certain that the new C-Stick is able to register full analogue fidelity of input? In other words, do we know if you can "tilt" a the c-stick a little and have that register differently then a full "tilt"?

Because I'm not seeing much room for that level of fidelity:

ygjcaqt60lcss7kq7plf.png

Also, do we know if it's hard or soft plastic?

This is good for me, I don't like the multi colored buttons, so the letter inserts being what's colored makes it better to my eye.

Any word if that's coming to the US? Because I will buy it if it does.

Given the West still has no info aside from a "2015 release" there is no word on whether this bundle or even just the limited edition system itself will be coming, hence why I jumped on the bandwagon and preordered one for import as soon as they were available. And given I have never seen any Monster Hunter themed systems come stateside, the chances are most likely slim to none UNLESS they offer this in the event the new systems release at the time Monster Hunter comes over next year

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Given the West still has no info aside from a "2015 release" there is no word on whether this bundle or even just the limited edition system itself will be coming, hence why I jumped on the bandwagon and preordered one for import as soon as they were available. And given I have never seen any Monster Hunter themed systems come stateside, the chances are most likely slim to none UNLESS they offer this in the event the new systems release at the time Monster Hunter comes over next year

Does it actually have metal skin? Because if it does I might just import one as well. If it's just plastic that looks like metal it's still pretty cool though.

atbigelow

Do we know for sure that they are still using a parallax barrier top screen? With the new head(eye) tracking, I don't believe those would be compatible with each other very easily. If that was the case, that'd be a way for them to maintain "3D" compatibility going forward. They could even ditch the needlessly expensive screens.

Rich!

Do we know for sure that they are still using a parallax barrier top screen? With the new head(eye) tracking, I don't believe those would be compatible with each other very easily. If that was the case, that'd be a way for them to maintain "3D" compatibility going forward. They could even ditch the needlessly expensive screens.

They are using parallax barriers. It doesnt have to be fixed, it can be adjusted on the fly.

atbigelow

They are using parallax barriers. It doesnt have to be fixed, it can be adjusted on the fly.

I thought the parallax barrier was a physical obstruction. I don't see how they could adjust it on the fly. That's definitely not a capability the current 3DS has.

EDIT: Oooo, it wasn't the kind I was thinking. Nevermind.

Rich!

I thought the parallax barrier was a physical obstruction. I don't see how they could adjust it on the fly. That's definitely not a capability the current 3DS has.

No, because the current 3DS has a fixed parallax barrier. New 3DS has an active one that can be adjusted.

Top Bottom