• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

japtor

So your eyes become a sensor bar... I like it.

Does this mean it could have issues if you're wearing glasses and it sees four dots instead of two?
Doesn't look like it:

0lqfCDb.jpg

Granted this is from an IR camera rather than IR illuminated shot so not really the same thing, but basically it should just reflect off the lenses. (I think. Now my brain is getting mushy thinking about IR light and visible/invisible spectrums on camera.)

Nintendo has been doing face tracking for a while now it seems so they might be doing that here rather than necessarily just eye tracking...although I think face tracking basically amounts to eye and mouth detection.

L~A

You know, about that eyes tracking thing... Remember those stakes Nintendo bought in another company a while ago (don't remember the name)? Puko?

Xis

Fact of the matter is, as far as 8th gen VC goes, NES games on both Wii U and 3DS really got a bad deal! There is absolutely no reason, no reason at all, that they should be doing this, just look at 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure instead; that game uses a border around the sides and top/bottom safe area and looks crisp and exactly how it should, in true 1:1. It saddens me that NES games look like shit on these systems, specially Wii U, but I won't get into that in a handheld thread.

While I hear what you are saying, there is another issue at play here as well -

NES uses non-square pixels (it natively outputs a 8:7 image that is stretched to 4:3 on a CRT). There's no way to get it to display 100% correct on the 3DS with it's square pixels. You either have to resample to stretch in the x-direction, which will make it display at correct aspect ratio, but adds blur - or you display it with 1:1 mapping which means the image will be crisp but a little squashed in the x-direction. I believe the 3DS uses the first option.

javadoze

So I'm guessing this will released in April or so in America like the DSi (or maybe even faster). In turn, NoA is probably going to be iffy about announcing its release until December or January when the the holiday shopping season dies down.

sörine

Banned
Yes, NES VC aspect ratio is due to stretching and cutting off overscan. It looks fine imo, hell of a lot better than NES VC on Wii U.

So I'm guessing this will released in April or so in America like the DSi (or maybe even faster). In turn, NoA is probably going to be iffy about announcing its release until December or January when the the holiday shopping season dies down.
I expect a March launch alongside MH4U. Probably announced late January or so.

Doesn't look like it:

0lqfCDb.jpg

Granted this is from an IR camera rather than IR illuminated shot so not really the same thing, but basically it should just reflect off the lenses. (I think. Now my brain is getting mushy thinking about IR light and visible/invisible spectrums on camera.)

Nintendo has been doing face tracking for a while now it seems so they might be doing that here rather than necessarily just eye tracking...although I think face tracking basically amounts to eye and mouth detection.

If it's shining an infrared light at your face and the camera is looking for the reflexion I'd think they'd use their proven technology(the Wiimote camera and associated software) to see that reflection instead of reinventing the wheel. The camera in the Wii remote could see multiple reflections from various light sources on multi pane glass. I had the misfortune of having a window just to the right of my entertainment center when the Wii first launched, the remote picked up everything reflecting from every pane of glass and made aiming in Twilight Princess nearly impossible. The sensitivity screen looked like a starfield.

If the N3DS uses a similar technology, then it is also looking for points of IR light. In this case it would see the two dots of light reflected in your eyes instead of a sensor bar. Glasses could make it see four dots unless I'm completely missing something. This shouldn't be a big deal as long as they programmed the software to respond appropriately to four dots, though.

Tom_Cody

The reason for the 2DS form factor is due to cost saving measures more than Nintendo testing the waters for different set ups.
I don't think you're at all wrong, but I and others had speculated that the slate form-factor might be a preview of what a Nintendo tablet might look like if they were ever to go that route in the future (for QoL or a main portable console). Also, many, including myself, took the 2DS as an indication that their next major portable would abandon 2D.

IMO these questions are still up in the air, though the n3DS is certainly not geared in either of those directions.

Tom_Cody

Oh, so it seems that IGN "new hardware at E3" rumour was this thing. Guy said so on http://ec.libsyn.com/p/a/e/8/ae8530...1ce3dae902ea1d06c88e3ed5cd58f169&c_id=7587683 saying it made him look the fool when it wasnt.
edit: the link is NVC, and its in the first 10 mins.
Ok, that explains so much as to why they aren't releasing the n3DS outside of Japan this year: they need to get rid of 3DS and 3DS XL stock before they can release the new variants.

Wow, 3DS hardware sales must be under-performing to a tremendous extent if they were originally going to announce this in early June (and presumably for a global launch this year). It would have made so much more sense to launch with Smash 3DS in all territories. Oh man.

jeffers

Ok, that explains so much as to why they aren't releasing the n3DS outside of Japan this year: they need to get rid of 3DS and 3DS XL stock before they can release the new variants.

Wow, 3DS hardware sales must be under-performing to a tremendous extent if they were originally going to announce this in early June (and presumably for a global launch this year). It would have made so much more sense to launch with Smash 3DS in all territories. Oh man.

Oh yeah, forgot about smash.

So it'd have been new 3ds, with smash, with amiibo built in.

Except, no. You see, NES games usually also have some safe area around the game. This safe area is getting cropped off, and instead of being corrected with a black window box, a tiny window box, is being blow up to fit the screen!

We're talking about an obvious scaling factor of, I'd say, around 101-103 percent, of a low res image, on a fixed-pixel display of a low resolution. Of course it's gonna look awful!

Don't believe me on the scaling? If you are an ambassador, boot up your free copy of NES OP and hit the links! See Mario's power meter for hitting the golf ball? Why in holy heck is it so non-uniform? The answer is that it is being scaled!

You see this, this is what it should look like.
5eJtuJI.png

Instead, it looks something more like this.
oa84iiz.png

Fact of the matter is, as far as 8th gen VC goes, NES games on both Wii U and 3DS really got a bad deal! There is absolutely no reason, no reason at all, that they should be doing this, just look at 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure instead; that game uses a border around the sides and top/bottom safe area and looks crisp and exactly how it should, in true 1:1. It saddens me that NES games look like shit on these systems, specially Wii U, but I won't get into that in a handheld thread.

Great, now I won't not be able to notice it :/

jeffers

And I forgot about Amiibo. God, what a blunder.

The logistics involved with running a company like Nintendo must be a bitch.

I'm sure its either a manufacturing issue or just intentional (e.g. it would completely shadow the WiiU and that thing cant afford to die anymore; or they think the delay can stretch out the 3ds life better maybe to help cover the wiiu better or just moving dates of next hardware.)

Woulda been a really good 1-2(-3) punch though.

You know, about that eyes tracking thing... Remember those stakes Nintendo bought in another company a while ago (don't remember the name)? Puko?
If my recolection of the events is correct there was the Panasonic's PUX stocks that Nintendo bought (about 28%?) and there was a non disclosed buy out of a company about 100 million.

There isn't much talked about exactly what those 2 buy outs imply. The PUX one is related to interfaces but as far as i remember LG and Toshiba were the ones messing with eye tracking for auto stereoscopic 3D.

Also "eye tracking", the cameras seem to be the same resolution (640*480) so is not tracking eye movement but figuring out the position of the eye balls and adjusting the angle as your head moves.
I don't think you're at all wrong, but I and others had speculated that the slate form-factor might be a preview of what a Nintendo tablet might look like if they were ever to go that route in the future (for QoL or a main portable console). Also, many, including myself, took the 2DS as an indication that their next major portable would abandon 2D.

IMO these questions are still up in the air, though the n3DS is certainly not geared in either of those directions.
The thing is people jumped to conclusions way to quickly with the 2DS in many ways. At the end of the day this cheaper model isn't dominating sales in comparison to the others. So from its market incertion you couldn't paint a picture of what price range the people really wanted or what features a handheld device should include. Adding to this, the most expensive model is what drive sales in Japan the most and that costs like 200 US.

Not saying their next handheld will include 3D. But what is factual, is that the device key diffrentiator (outside of Nintendo software) is the stereoscopic 3D. The 3D many said it was an useless ginmick that remained unnatractive, yet it was never well executed in the first place.

We got an early reaction to a Nintendo tablet with the Wii U, as unfair as it might be. Cue, even the "informed press" refered to the Gamepad a "tablet controller". XD

Except, no. You see, NES games usually also have some safe area around the game. This safe area is getting cropped off, and instead of being corrected with a black window box, a tiny window box, is being blow up to fit the screen!

We're talking about an obvious scaling factor of, I'd say, around 101-103 percent, of a low res image, on a fixed-pixel display of a low resolution. Of course it's gonna look awful!

Don't believe me on the scaling? If you are an ambassador, boot up your free copy of NES OP and hit the links! See Mario's power meter for hitting the golf ball? Why in holy heck is it so non-uniform? The answer is that it is being scaled!

You see this, this is what it should look like.
5eJtuJI.png

Instead, it looks something more like this.
oa84iiz.png

i see no difference and actuallyy don't care. I always found distracting the weird jumpy borders on the nes.

I've just noticed this now on new 3ds/LL there's a circular dot next to the camera on the upper screen. What is that?

I know it stated in japanese text and can't read the language. Much oblige to anyone translate that one for me. Thanks!

Rich!

I've just noticed this now on new 3ds/LL there's a circular dot next to the camera on the upper screen. What is that?

I know it stated in japanese text and can't read the language. Much oblige to anyone translate that one for me. Thanks!

Infrared led for face tracking

Its how the 3DS adjusts the 3D effect to work no matter what angle you're looking at it from. I might be mixing it up with brightness sensor though.

That picture of the new médium 3ds being held is hyping me hard. At my 37 yo I really can't afford much spare time to play and I am mostly a sneak gamer. The old 3ds is too chuncky for such a small screen state, my 3ds xl is too damn big and heavy. My vita is also big and depends too much on a case.
This new 3ds seems like best design since the Ds lite to me.

Thanks so much for this link! Got my very excited. The very first photo of the man holding the white New 3DS says this in the caption:

"Even when the system is tilted this much, the 3D footage does not break down. This made me smile when I tried it out in actuality because it's too strange and cool."

That's is pretty freaking cool!
Just imagine, there's the possibility that the users would be able to enjoy the 3D effect while doing something like aiming with gyro controls in the Ocarina of Time Remake. The play experience could be transformed in many other similar scenarios.

japtor

If it's shining an infrared light at your face and the camera is looking for the reflexion I'd think they'd use their proven technology(the Wiimote camera and associated software) to see that reflection instead of reinventing the wheel. The camera in the Wii remote could see multiple reflections from various light sources on multi pane glass. I had the misfortune of having a window just to the right of my entertainment center when the Wii first launched, the remote picked up everything reflecting from every pane of glass and made aiming in Twilight Princess nearly impossible. The sensitivity screen looked like a starfield.

If the N3DS uses a similar technology, then it is also looking for points of IR light. In this case it would see the two dots of light reflected in your eyes instead of a sensor bar. Glasses could make it see four dots unless I'm completely missing something. This shouldn't be a big deal as long as they programmed the software to respond appropriately to four dots, though.
Thing is, the proven technology has it's issues like you just pointed out. Course it could be a combination of old and new stuff or all new, who knows. Should be interesting when people start experimenting with it when it comes out if nothing else.

And yeah I think you're right on the four dots since it's likely more akin to night vision mode on cameras rather than an IR camera. Basically just an extra sensitive mode so it'd get the reflection off the glass and should still see through to the eyes. I'm not sure it'd be particularly useful during daytime/light environments since it'd just blow out the night mode image, which is why I think face detection would come into play. I've worked with security cameras before but forget if the IR lights/reflections were all that visible in daytime mode.

I kinda see it like the Wii Mini, something cheap that they can keep production going for the tech laggards and cost conscious buyers.

Synless

Is there an import shop that is selling these to the US? I have been searching play-Asia and can't find them. I want to get an orange one just in case it doesn't come out here.

do we have a good screen size comparison in this thread?
Probably but if not here's a great one courtesy of the incomparable JohnTV: https://mobile.twitter.com/johntv/status/507027691636129792/photo/1
Is there an import shop that is selling these to the US? I have been searching play-Asia and can't find them. I want to get an orange one just in case it doesn't come out here.
There are a few options including direct from Japan. Try here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=888731

Or here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=885821

Nippon-Yasan seems to be the best price currently.

clem84

Gold Member
I wonder if the old 3DSLL will get a price drop in Japan. Been waiting a while to get a white 3DSLL along with DQ7. Then again, the new white 3DS LL might be a better purchase.

edit: the white one is only for the smaller new 3DS. :(

Probably but if not here's a great one courtesy of the incomparable JohnTV: https://mobile.twitter.com/johntv/status/507027691636129792/photo/1

There are a few options including direct from Japan. Try here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=888731

Or here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=885821

Nippon-Yasan seems to be the best price currently.

hmmm that screen it a little increased but the XL is just huge in comparison but those damn faceplates omg not sure what to do

Jimrpg

This has probably been discussed already, but it seems like its so much better to buy retail than digital if Nintendo keeps updating hardware like this.

1st of all, if you have retail carts, you can sell your 3DS now and get the New 3DS later, your price will be a bit higher than if you sell it later.

Secondly you can play with both systems, meaning both you and your family can share a library of games. With digital games the game is stuck on a system meaning the other person can't use that game if you are using the system.

Thirdly resale value if you ever want to resell individual games.

The only thing going for digital games is being able to switch between games easily without having to remove carts.

For that little bit of trouble Id much rather use carts.

hmmm that screen it a little increased but the XL is just huge in comparison but those damn faceplates omg not sure what to do
Easy! Import a Japanese n3DS and buy the nXL when it comes here. That's my plan! Best of both worlds, especially if you've been lusting after a white system like I have! Plus I bet Japan will get way more cover plates.

Xemnas89

So what's the chances of them bringing this over with the Super famicom buttons? I'd really like it but since we've never had that design over here I fear we'll just get the normal buttons.

This has probably been discussed already, but it seems like its so much better to buy retail than digital if Nintendo keeps updating hardware like this.

1st of all, if you have retail carts, you can sell your 3DS now and get the New 3DS later, your price will be a bit higher than if you sell it later.

Secondly you can play with both systems, meaning both you and your family can share a library of games. With digital games the game is stuck on a system meaning the other person can't use that game if you are using the system.

Thirdly resale value if you ever want to resell individual games.

The only thing going for digital games is being able to switch between games easily without having to remove carts.

For that little bit of trouble Id much rather use carts.

Like with every physical vs digital debate on any ecosystem, it depends entirely on how you play and what your purchase values are. None of what you listed are exclusive problems to buying digital on a Nintendo platform, except maybe the first one

jax

Banned
Ugh, I can't figure out which new 3DS is best for me! White.. or black.. they both look so great. :(

I guest whichever one won't make it stateside. White, I guess?

So what was the point of the 2DS if Nintendo was just going to double down on 3D? Not that I mind really, I love the 3D feature, but the 3DS line is starting to get really convoluted. Should we expect a "new" 2DS as well?

Will I be able to somehow transfer my data from the 3DS XL to the new 3DS XL?

Yep. However, if you're planning on bringing in your 3DS to exchange it for an N3DS, then you're out of luck unless you can find a friend who hasn't downloaded anything on their 3DS to store your stuff on before transferring it for the New 3DS. Really ass-backwards concepts by Nintendo, really. I do not know why people defend it, and this is coming from a die-hard fan. I want a New 3DS and think I'm going to buy one, ultimately, but I want to take advantage of the deal GameStop have where you get $100 back for a used 3DS if you wish to swap it for another one or an XL, and this is making me second guess buying one.

So what was the point of the 2DS if Nintendo was just going to double down on 3D? Not that I mind really, I love the 3D feature, but the 3DS line is starting to get really convoluted. Should we expect a "new" 2DS as well?

I wish. It's the only comfortable option in the 3ds line.

lenovox1

The 2DS is NA/PAL only, and the point of its existence seems to be to lower the cost barrier that the original 3DS may have had (ala the Wii Mini). That doesn't change with the introduction of this product.

Tablo

The 2DS is good, I don't get the dislike about it. It's the cheapest way to play Nintendo handheld games. And it's good for the often 99$ price it's at. Which I probably should have waited for tbh, I got it on launch for 130$... fleeced lol.

Yagami_Sama

I first import the original 3DS in order to play MH 3G. But I am importing Japanese games for quite a long time, including Game Cube, Wii and Wii U games.

Some day a post a pic of my 3DS game collection.

Top Bottom