• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Pikma

Banned
They did confirm this is not coming west in 2015 correct? Any ideas why considering the platform is somewhat floundering here? I'm struggling to find the logic behind passing up a Holiday season.

Because there's no software to accompany it?

Jackano

I'm struggling to find the logic behind passing up a Holiday season.

They probably weren't ready to ship it so soon worldwide. The fact n3DS releases after Smash Bros in Japan is somewhat a proof of that IMO, either way, they will have released both on the same day.

Regarding the west, they were probably confident Smash Bros will move hardware no matter what this holiday.
Waiting for potential bug fixes/fiability problems and adding the tiny % of people who will double dip by purchasing a 3DS with Smash now, and upgrading with a n3DS next year, was maybe another point for not rushing the release in the west.

japtor

I actually wonder how that's possible. I'm definitely talking out of my ass, but it would seem that if the hardware is better, the games would just automatically run better? Or am I missing something key?
For the most compatibility they're probably clocking down to the original 3DS speed. Things should be fine with the faster speed but it can cause problems in some random cases.

Ideally there'd be a really simple way for devs to enable the higher clock, like a system whitelist that's part of the eShop or something that updates quickly by itself. Still have to go through QA testing to make sure everything works, but instead of a crapload of individual patches to update every game it'd just be a single list of approved games.
It's odd how for me the most exciting aspect of the New 3ds is the 3d finally working ideally.
Yeah it's a big deal to me too, I like to leave it on and only turn it off when he narrow sweet spot bugs me enough in a session. Hell it'll make 3D Super Hang On playable with 3D and tilt controls for once, I'll be happy just for that. Otherwise I'll be interested in seeing if any games come out to take advantage of the widened 3D and the head tracking. There's a lot of stuff that does the latter but I can't think of too many that do it with a real 3D screen outside of the recent VR headsets.

MicH

I feel so bad for those in NA who wants a white n3DS as it seems very unlikely NoA are going to release it :/ White is my go-to handheld color as well, but being European I would be surprised if NoE didn't release the white one

nikatapi

Hell it'll make 3D Super Hang On playable with 3D and tilt controls for once, I'll be happy just for that. Otherwise I'll be interested in seeing if any games come out to take advantage of the widened 3D and the head tracking. There's a lot of stuff that does the latter but I can't think of too many that do it with a real 3D screen outside of the recent VR headsets.

I'm not really sure if it will work on all axes, given how the parallax barrier works, so if tilt controls require you to twist the device like a steering wheel i believe the 3D will break.

Caelus

Gamecube edition of the n3DS XL gave me a heart attack on the last page, I'm getting the regular edition anyway- I love more portable consoles, and the matte finish just makes it really slick.

I love matte.

mrback

anyone knock up a famicom style one? that would be cool to match the buttons. probably gonna go for a black one n3ds

japtor

I'm not really sure if it will work on all axes, given how the parallax barrier works, so if tilt controls require you to twist the device like a steering wheel i believe the 3D will break.
Yeah that's probably the case, but I figure even then as long as the sweet spot is as improved as they say it'll still be at least a bit more playable while trying it out while tilting your head. Right now you have to be nearly exact for it to work so even a little bit of leeway would make a nice difference.

L~A

Like these from the 80s?
c5yzGzC.jpg

That would be amazing!

I know you're kidding, but...

By the way, looks like they already got the packaging ready the face plates, which will all be sold in the West too, when the console comes out.

HUELEN10

I was actually being completely serious. Is that official?!?!? Regardless, and again being totally honest here, I would totally buy this shit.
By the way, looks like they already got the packaging ready the face plates, which will all be sold in the West too, when the console comes out.
Oh wow, I just noticed something.

This system is KTR. What do you suppose that means?

kubus

By the way, looks like they already got the packaging the face plates, which will all be sold in the West too, when the console comes out.
I guess this means the plates are region free, at least.

Was it confirmed yet if all the plates come with a download code for a corresponding theme? I wonder if they can make download codes that are redeemable in every region...

Is begging for an NA New 3DS Nintendo Direct bad?

Because I'm gonna beg.

The fact that it's so soon in Japan really has me jealous.

L~A

I guess this means the plates are region free, at least.

Was it confirmed yet if all the plates come with a download code for a corresponding theme? I wonder if they can make download codes that are redeemable in every region...

Never heard of the download code for themes, to be honest... and there's about 34 plates, that's a lot of themes to make, if true. And what about the plates that are just an alternate colour?

I was actually being completely serious. Is that official?!?!? Regardless, and again being totally honest here, I would totally buy this shit.

Oh wow, I just noticed something.

This system is KTR. What do you suppose that means?

It's 100% official, it's one of the 30+ plates.

KTR is just the code name... no idea what it means, though.

javadoze

Annnnd here's the packaging.

Bwro8t1CYAAfcvM.png

It's way too colorful for my American tastes. Needs more black and white.

(C'mon NoA, don't screw this up.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Bwro8t1CYAAfcvM.png

There are an angry Goomba and an angry Bullet Bill. It could be enough for them to let it pass.

Jofamo

Bwro8t1CYAAfcvM.png

Nintendo are best when they aren't trying to ape Apple or other major electronics makers, and instead emphasise their strengths. This looks absolutely amazing, I really hope this type of packaging makes it to the West.

I just begged NoA to release the white one in the US, let's see this go no where fast... Oh well at l put it out there.

I really hope they keep these base designs at least for overseas.

zeromcd73

Bwro8t1CYAAfcvM.png

Absolutely amazing.

Hoping the 3DS LL box is just as good, and that we get to see it tomorrow since preorders are going up.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That box literally looks like a trapper keeper design from 1993, not sure why everyone is so impressed by it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That box literally looks like a trapper keeper design from 1993, not sure why everyone is so impressed by it.

Because console boxes have become mostly solid coloured minimalist designs so it is refreshing to see something so funky in this day and age. Videogames are fun not serious and this reflects that.

18-Volt

They did confirm this is not coming west in 2015 correct? Any ideas why considering the platform is somewhat floundering here? I'm struggling to find the logic behind passing up a Holiday season.

Nintendo is pretty busy with other projects so they needed third parties do make some exclsuive system sellers for the system. They probably have knocked some doors but couldn't get any answers. They're still trying, so they delayed the system for west. If everything else fails, they could always support it with more last gen ports like Xenoblade.

Plus, there might be a New 2DS.

What if this doesn't even leave Japan? Is that possible?

It is. 2015 western 3DS lineup is a little weak, no system sellers. They could skip it altogether in order to speed and hype up the release of next gen handheld. They need to attract western 3rd party, you know.

Mpl90

I still can't get why people think the console is not coming in the West when it's been stated many times it'll be a 2015 release XD

unknown-1qppl0.jpeg

Can someone translate what the text with LED means? It might helps us to find out how the 3D effect works.

Maybe the LED sends a special light to the eye the human eye can't see. Then the eye reflect it and send it back to the camera. This would mean that the 3D effect would also work in the dark and it would also work without calibrating. Hopefully the camera is fast enough.

unknown-1qppl0.jpeg

Can someone translate what the text with LED means? It might helps us to find out how the 3D effect works.

Maybe the LED sends a special light to the eye the human eye can't see. Then the eye reflect it and send it back to the camera. This would mean that the 3D effect would also work in the dark and it would also work without calibrating. Hopefully the camera is fast enough.

Oh cool, it's infrared so it works in the dark too.

unknown-1qppl0.jpeg

Infrared LED Lamp: In order for the "3D wobble prevention feature" to behave in the dark, it reflects the face with infrared.

Wow... Take a little break from the forum for a few days and look what happens!

I'll buy it if Xenoblade comes West with it, but I've already got an Ambassador 3DS with a Circle Pad Pro, a 3DSXL and a 2DS, so it will come down to the software for me, at least early on.... Portable Xenoblade? Ya, I'll buy hardware for that (would honestly prefer New 2DS version though)...

Mpl90

For those interested in Nintendo's own microSD cards, here's the prices

microSDHC 16 GB - 3,024 Yen
microSDHC 32 GB - 4,536 Yen

For "direct" comparison

PlayStation Vita SD Card 16 GB - 4,082 Yen
PlayStation Vita SD Card 32 GB - 6,998 Yen

Taken from Amazon.co.jp. I hope someone can do the same including prices for comparable microSD cards from SanDisk, Samsung, Philips, etc.etc. in order to get a good idea on the matter.

Top Bottom