• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

For those interested in Nintendo's own microSD cards, here's the prices

microSDHC 16 GB - 3,024 Yen
microSDHC 32 GB - 4,536 Yen

For "direct" comparison

PlayStation Vita SD Card 16 GB - 4,082 Yen
PlayStation Vita SD Card 32 GB - 6,998 Yen

Taken from Amazon.co.jp. I hope someone can do the same including prices for comparable microSD cards from SanDisk, Samsung, Philips, etc.etc. in order to get a good idea on the matter.

Man what a ripoff. I could see if they were very fast class 10s like Sandisk Extreme, but they're class 4... sloooooow.

Nintendo MicroSD 16GB at Yodobashi
Nintendo MicroSD 32GB at Yodobashi

Hopefully anyone trying to buy this in store has the sales person offering Sandisk Extremes at the same price.

Newline

3DS has been weird from the beginning.
I kind of feel like it's only just coming into it's own now. This is how I feel the console should have launched, kinda how I felt about the DS Lite last generation. Still don't regret the three 3DS's ive had since launch :l I'll without a doubt be trading in my 3DS xl for a regular 3DS new though, it's like the DS Lite in my eyes. Perfect specs, size and shape.

rekameohs

Banned
Man what a ripoff. I could see if they were very fast class 10s like Sandisk Extreme, but they're class 4... sloooooow.

Hopefully anyone trying to buy this in store has the sales person offering Sandisk Extremes at the same price.

The 3DS can't handle any higher than Class 4 read/write speeds, so why does that part matter? I guess the transfer from the PC to the card would be faster, but that's a one time thing if you're upgrading.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I uploaded all of the currently-available (Amazon.jp) Cover Plate images if anyone's interested: http://imgur.com/a/L0iLB#0

Only #38 is missing so far.

dude awesome job... hope the animal crossing one i want is matte and not glossy in person

day 1:

H1xaPFJ.jpg

Zing

Banned

Class rating means little. The Toshiba SD cards included with the original 3DS aren't even rated and they benchmark at class 10 speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if they have faster random access as well, but I didn't personally benchmark that. I have a Sandisk Extreme card and the Nintendo supplied card was essentially the same speed in reads and writes (slightly slower write, but maxed out read, just like the Sandisk).

I just realized that all the new faceplates are "upside down". For the XL (both old and new), they have the upper half inverted, so it only looks correct when the system is closed. Now, they have the faceplates oriented so the upper half is inverted, and will look correct only when system is open.

Tom_Cody

This whole thing now makes the 2DS even more bizarre...
Yes and no. The 2DS still makes sense as a 'cheapest' option for the segment of the market that wants that.

That said, I have no idea how well it sold or if there is any demand for it.

I think it also served as a market test of the slate form-factor (as Nintendo calls it). It will be interesting to see if we ever get anything that looks like that again.

oti

Banned
Love how the packaging screams "fun". Not cool, not edgy, just fun.
Hope it stays the same in Europe.

(Wait, why do I even care about the packaging?)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Do you save the box? I know I do. I love opening my drawer and seeing my 3DS boxes. If you're ever going to look at it again, it's better if it looks nice.

I think I'm gonna go with the LL (Or will it be called XL in America?). The small one looks good enough, but I'd like to have the luxury of the big screen to help immerse me in bigger games. Plus it'll probably be more comfortable for Smash.

My only issue is whether or not the density of the pixels will be changed for this new iteration. What has been said about it? Is anything gonna change? I don't think it made 3DS games look too much different or even worse, but I remember DK looking pixely as hell.

I feel this whole post. Looks awesome, says a lot about the kind of games they're trying to sell on the system. At the same time... I know I'm thinking about this and am legally considered an adult, soooo yeah

I think I'm gonna go with the LL (Or will it be called XL in America?). The small one looks good enough, but I'd like to have the luxury of the big screen to help immerse me in bigger games. Plus it'll probably be more comfortable for Smash.

My only issue is whether or not the density of the pixels will be changed for this new iteration. What has been said about it? Is anything gonna change? I don't think it made 3DS games look too much different or even worse, but I remember DK looking pixely as hell.

The resolution hasn't changed so I assume it will look the same.

Yes and no. The 2DS still makes sense as a 'cheapest' option for the segment of the market that wants that.

That said, I have no idea how well it sold or if there is any demand for it.

I think it also served as a market test of the slate form-factor (as Nintendo calls it). It will be interesting to see if we ever get anything that looks like that again.
The reason for the 2DS form factor is due to cost saving measures more than Nintendo testing the waters for different set ups.

japtor

I just realized that all the new faceplates are "upside down". For the XL (both old and new), they have the upper half inverted, so it only looks correct when the system is closed. Now, they have the faceplates oriented so the upper half is inverted, and will look correct only when system is open.
Or when you have it in the charging cradle.
The resolution hasn't changed so I assume it will look the same.
Yeah...well they can improve it but it'll still be the same resolution regardless. They can improve the color and contrast, and otherwise reduce the spacing between pixels. It'd still be blocky but the latter would improve the look by reducing the visibility of the pixel grid (and improving light/color transmission).

Not that I expect that.

MegalonJJ

Banned
What do Nes games (i.e. SMB3) look like on a XL?

On a regular 3DS, the screen is too small, so I'm thinking of upgrading to the new-XL despite the lower PPI.

HUELEN10

What do Nes games (i.e. SMB3) look like on a XL?

On a regular 3DS, the screen is too small, so I'm thinking of upgrading to the new-XL despite the lower PPI.
NES games look like shit on anything that can play 3DS games because there is no way to run them at 1:1. Just compare any NES VC game with Kirby's Advnture or Kid Icarus 3D classics, the difference is night an day.

The products known in western markets as XLs have always been referred to as LLs in japan for some reason.

Because that's, in general, what Japanese culture calls things larger than a 'large'. Larges are L, so an extra large is an LL. Where in the west we use an X to signify extra large.

Check the manual in game for yourself. You can kick GB/C games into 1:1, but there is no option for NES games, so they always look like shit.

Shit? Really? That's a bit hyperbolic.

It does suck that there is no 1:1 pixel mode (there is enough pixels to do so), but it's hardly unplayable or anything like that.

I was under the impression you could play NES games on 1:1 by pressing Select on boot like the games from other VC systems like Game Boy.

Nope, just tested and confirmed this is NOT the case, unlike DS and GB(C).

(edit) Just tried and it's even true for GBA. The only mode 1:1 doesn't work is NES, which is a very odd omission.

HUELEN10

I was under the impression you could play NES games on 1:1 by pressing Select on boot like the games from other VC systems like Game Boy.
Can you confirm this impression then, because I've never seen it work on NES games, and I've seen my roomies try as well.

I would love to be wrong.

WillyFive

Nope, just tested and confirmed this is NOT the case, unlike DS and GB(C).

(edit) Just tried and it's even true for GBA. The only mode 1:1 doesn't work is NES, which is a very odd omission.

Can you confirm this impression then, because I've never seen it work on NES games, and I've seen my roomies try as well.

I would love to be wrong.

I only own Game Boy VC games on my 3DS, so I only have experience with those. The thought never passed my mind that it would be different for games of other systems.

I only own Game Boy VC games on my 3DS, so I only have experience with those. The thought never passed my mind that it would be different for games of other systems.

As I said, it does seem to be a very odd omission... There is nothing keeping Nintendo from doing 1:1 on NES as well, and it would do so much better than GBA/DS (you'd only be losing 8 pixels on the top and bottom to black bars)

Zing

Banned
Aren't NES games already 240 lines of resolution? That is the resolution of the LCD on the 3DS.

Edit: Yes, it's 256x240. So it is already 1:1 by default.

Weils

Neo Member
The products known in western markets as XLs have always been referred to as LLs in japan for some reason.

I have ordered T-shirts from Japan before, the manufacturer put in LL as the next larger size from L rather than XL but they mean the same thing. LL = Larger Large?

Same goes for other items, they sometimes put as "Special Special" instead of "Extra Special".

HUELEN10

Correct. Odd that some people are complaining about this.
Except, no. You see, NES games usually also have some safe area around the game. This safe area is getting cropped off, and instead of being corrected with a black window box, a tiny window box, is being blow up to fit the screen!

We're talking about an obvious scaling factor of, I'd say, around 101-103 percent, of a low res image, on a fixed-pixel display of a low resolution. Of course it's gonna look awful!

Don't believe me on the scaling? If you are an ambassador, boot up your free copy of NES OP and hit the links! See Mario's power meter for hitting the golf ball? Why in holy heck is it so non-uniform? The answer is that it is being scaled!

You see this, this is what it should look like.
5eJtuJI.png

Instead, it looks something more like this.
oa84iiz.png

Fact of the matter is, as far as 8th gen VC goes, NES games on both Wii U and 3DS really got a bad deal! There is absolutely no reason, no reason at all, that they should be doing this, just look at 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure instead; that game uses a border around the sides and top/bottom safe area and looks crisp and exactly how it should, in true 1:1. It saddens me that NES games look like shit on these systems, specially Wii U, but I won't get into that in a handheld thread.

If they are select 3D classics and not VC, yes.

Come on now, take a step back and look at the comparison pics you´ve posted.

Like 100 people worldwide noticedthe difference in aspect ratio ( and like 5 are bothered by it). I sure as hell didn´t. Thats not "shit or garbage" by any means.

HUELEN10

Like 100 people worldwide will notice the difference in aspect ratio. I sure as hell didn´t. Thats not "shit or garbage" by any means.
The aspect is the same, the problem is the scaling. Will most people notice the bar being un-inform and the horrid pattern on the back? Possibly, possibly not. There is however no reason at all for having this problem in the first place.

I uploaded all of the currently-available (Amazon.jp) Cover Plate images if anyone's interested: http://imgur.com/a/L0iLB#0

Only #38 is missing so far.
I just noticed the packaging is region free. I mean how JEFIGSR are all on there.

Like 100 people worldwide noticedthe difference in aspect ratio ( and like 5 are bothered by it). I sure as hell didn´t. Thats not "shit or garbage" by any means.
It is still unnecessary as the gave options on Game Boy and so they set the precident for having an option here too. It is a minor thing but it annoys some of the big purchasers into not bothering.

HUELEN10

It is still unnecessary as the gave options on Game Boy and so they set the precident for having an option here too. It is a minor thing but it annoys some of the big purchasers into not bothering.
Bingo. It's one of the reasons I just haven't bought The Mysterious Murasame Castle yet, and possibly never will on the eShop, and trust me when I say I am a big-time VC purchaser, or at least was last gen. Not having the option makes me not want to spend my money. I know I am not alone either; it is a deal-breaker to some indeed.

Does anyone else think the 3DS is going to end with a poor tie ratio? The software output from the last generation to this one is a drastic fall. And with all the different versions of the system, I'm feeling like there's going to be a sizable number of 3DS players that own multiple consoles but only own a single version of a given game. I feel like Nintendo is trying to pad the number of consoles sold and infuse some profits into their bottom line, but it won't truly help their situation.

Am I alone in this line of thinking? Is there anything to support the idea about software sales relative to install base?

Does anyone else think the 3DS is going to end with a poor tie ratio? The software output from the last generation to this one is a drastic fall. And with all the different versions of the system, I'm feeling like there's going to be a sizable number of 3DS players that own multiple consoles but only own a single version of a given game. I feel like Nintendo is trying to pad the number of consoles sold and infuse some profits into their bottom line, but it won't truly help their situation.

Am I alone in this line of thinking? Is there anything to support the idea about software sales relative to install base?
Tie ratios are bullshit as they are just hardware/software shipped. They also don't include eShop releases, which is a big thing now.

But handhelds having iterations and multiple hardware in same household being more likely are nothing new.

Top Bottom