• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

I guest whichever one won't make it stateside. White, I guess?

I've seen a lot of people worry that the White N3DS unit or the Famicom Buttons won't make it outside of Japan. Has Nintendo done this in the past with handhelds, release different colors depending on the country? Because I don't recall them doing that with home consoles [after the SNES] unless it was a limited edition type deal.

Nintendo should make a concerted effort to get this in NA by early November, otherwise they may as well wait until Fall 2015. Seems like Nintendo products only sell decently during the holiday season these days.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So what was the point of the 2DS if Nintendo was just going to double down on 3D? Not that I mind really, I love the 3D feature, but the 3DS line is starting to get really convoluted. Should we expect a "new" 2DS as well?

The 2DS is a cheap Pokemon machine for children. That's all it ever was.

tassletine

So what was the point of the 2DS if Nintendo was just going to double down on 3D? Not that I mind really, I love the 3D feature, but the 3DS line is starting to get really convoluted. Should we expect a "new" 2DS as well?

It's for young kids. The 3D could potentially screw with your eyes when they are developing. I think the 3DS has an age rating of 8 and up.

lenovox1

Nintendo should make a concerted effort to get this in NA by early November, otherwise they may as well wait until Fall 2015. Seems like Nintendo products only sell decently during the holiday season these days.

I'm guessing 3DS Amiibo functionality and the introduction of the new models will go hand and hand. Whether or not that will take all the way until fall '15? Who knows. It may depend on how successful Amiibo is by itself.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I've seen a lot of people worry that the White N3DS unit or the Famicom Buttons won't make it outside of Japan. Has Nintendo done this in the past with handhelds, release different colors depending on the country? Because I don't recall them doing that with home consoles [after the SNES] unless it was a limited edition type deal.

Yes, Japan gets a lot more colors than North America when it comes to handhelds.

Oh goodness. So many extra colors. So many more games get special edition handheld designs too. America gets bare-bones color options.

I would quite like that. I have a 3DS XL and a 2DS.

I love playing on the 2DS because it's more comfortable and lighter. However, there is no Circle Pad Pro for the poor thing.

I like the larger screens of the 3DS XL but it's still a bit big, heavy, and the screen is almost too large to look good. I'm thinking of going with the New 3DS and not the New 3DS XL because the New 3DS has a slightly larger screen.

A New 2DS with a slightly larger screen (or even the same size screen), and ZR/ZL buttons below the larger L/R buttons would be superb.

L~A

They did it with the 3DS XL and the 2DS (they had some colours in both EU/NA, but not all).

And about the 2DS, Nintendo already explained it several times: it's a cheap, entry-level model made specically for kids. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's never been a "let's ditch 3D!" model or anything, though I too am surprised by the improved 3D in the N3DS. Makes me question my belief 3D will be ditched for the new handheld, though I know it doesn't really prove anything either way.

I would quite like that. I have a 3DS XL and a 2DS.

I love playing on the 2DS because it's more comfortable and lighter. However, there is no Circle Pad Pro for the poor thing.

I like the larger screens of the 3DS XL but it's still a bit big, heavy, and the screen is almost too large to look good. I'm thinking of going with the New 3DS and not the New 3DS XL because the New 3DS has a slightly larger screen.

A New 2DS with a slightly larger screen (or even the same size screen), and ZR/ZL buttons below the larger L/R buttons would be superb.
I had an original 3DS when the system originally launched, but wasn't really happy with the whole hardware to be honest. As of right now I own a white 3DS LL, but I've preordered a white New 3DS this time around. I think the screen downgrade will be okay, but we'll see how it turns out playing Smash, MH4G etc. on the smaller screens/on the new hardware in general. If it sucks, I'll wait for a white New 3DS LL . I really dislike the black/blue color options and it's metallic finish - bah.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

if they want to tip a warehouse full of 3DSXLs in the ocean then sure. It makes sense to get these out ASAP and I agree the fall is their optimum selling time. But they are almost certainly swamped with stock of older machines that they need to get rid of.

So they're fucked basically. Although the silver lining might be great sales on the 3DS/XL around black friday?

anyone managed to preorder a screen protector from anywhere for the new models???

For the regular sized n3DS you probably wont be seeing any screen protectors pop up till its announced stateside. As for the XL since its the same size any current one will do now.

mrback

You cant add to a paid for pre-order with nippon yasan which I thought was a bit weird, wanted to add a cradle to my pre-order but advised cant do it. so I'll have to pay x 2 lots for postage.

kubus

You cant add to a paid for pre-order with nippon yasan which I thought was a bit weird, wanted to add a cradle to my pre-order but advised cant do it. so I'll have to pay x 2 lots for postage.
What? I did something similar without any problems.

Just place two seperate orders, then go to your order screen and choose "Combine Orders". Follow the instructions and your two orders should be combined into one then. This didn't work for you?

mrback

What? I did something similar without any problems.

Just place two seperate orders, then go to your order screen and choose "Combine Orders". Follow the instructions and your two orders should be combined into one then. This didn't work for you?

you can only combine pre-orders not paid, I paid for my pre-order then wanted to add an item to the order but was advised unable to do this.

TheChaos0

I feel like I want to "downgrade" to the new 3DS from the regular XL. XL is a bit too heavy for my liking. new 3DS' screen is a bit bigger, so maybe it'll be just fine. Snes coloured buttons are just too good. :)

Amazon Japan won't ship cover plates to the UK, thought they might slip through the net as they're just accessories, but no dice.

Does anyone know of anywhere (other than N-Y) stocking them for preorder?

Chopper

I feel like I want to "downgrade" to the new 3DS from the regular XL. XL is a bit too heavy for my liking. new 3DS' screen is a bit bigger, so maybe it'll be just fine. Snes coloured buttons are just too good. :)
Yeah, I'm thinking this too. I love my XL, but the new 3DS is really nice.

mrback

Ooohh right :(. Forgot it only worked on non-paid orders.

Try contacting them maybe?

yeah contacted them, they said they couldnt do it, ended up doing a seperate order with another item & used a cheaper postage option as no rush for these bits. anyone ordering from nippon yasan please be aware once you have paid for a pre-order it cant be modified

MicH

I think I've decided what I'm going do. At launch I'll buy a n3DS and when a nice-looking limited edition n3DS XL releases, I'll get that.

I'm a sucker for handheld systems :/

Yep. However, if you're planning on bringing in your 3DS to exchange it for an N3DS, then you're out of luck unless you can find a friend who hasn't downloaded anything on their 3DS to store your stuff on before transferring it for the New 3DS. Really ass-backwards concepts by Nintendo, really. I do not know why people defend it, and this is coming from a die-hard fan. I want a New 3DS and think I'm going to buy one, ultimately, but I want to take advantage of the deal GameStop have where you get $100 back for a used 3DS if you wish to swap it for another one or an XL, and this is making me second guess buying one.

I bought my 3DS two weeks ago and didn't buy anything digitially thus far.

I just wanna transfer my savegames, my setup and Mii.

How do I do that?

Rich!

got an order in on nippon yassan

£110 including shipping...thats tempting. I need to make a decision within the next few weeks on whether to go ahead and pay or cancel it

Zornack

Yep. However, if you're planning on bringing in your 3DS to exchange it for an N3DS, then you're out of luck unless you can find a friend who hasn't downloaded anything on their 3DS to store your stuff on before transferring it for the New 3DS. Really ass-backwards concepts by Nintendo, really. I do not know why people defend it, and this is coming from a die-hard fan. I want a New 3DS and think I'm going to buy one, ultimately, but I want to take advantage of the deal GameStop have where you get $100 back for a used 3DS if you wish to swap it for another one or an XL, and this is making me second guess buying one.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It's a shitty dilemma.

tuffy

I bought my 3DS two weeks ago and didn't buy anything digitially thus far.

I just wanna transfer my savegames, my setup and Mii.

How do I do that?
Just run the "System Transfer" utility from the "System Settings" on the old 3DS to transfer stuff to the new 3DS. If all your games are in cart form, their save data lives on the cart outside of the occasional bit of DLC stuff which sometimes lives on the SD card. The system transfer also takes care of moving SD card data. It should walk you through everything without much fuss.

Naturally, you'll need to have both 3DSes on hand at the same time since it mostly runs over a local wireless connection.

If you are waiting for them to come to the West, yes. If you are importing and your old XL is a different region, no. In short, both must be from the same region

Both would be from the west.

Just run the "System Transfer" utility from the "System Settings" on the old 3DS to transfer stuff to the new 3DS. If all your games are in cart form, their save data lives on the cart outside of the occasional bit of DLC stuff which sometimes lives on the SD card. The system transfer also takes care of moving SD card data. It should walk you through everything without much fuss.

Naturally, you'll need to have both 3DSes on hand at the same time since it mostly runs over a local wireless connection.

Ah ok. So I don't need to buy some SD to micro SD-converter?

tuffy

Ah ok. So I don't need to buy some SD to micro SD-converter?
As I recall, going from one 3DS to another used to involve just sticking the SD card from the old system into the new one. In this case, since the new system has a micro SD card, it may be necessary to do an SD card -> computer -> micro SD card transfer beforehand - assuming they don't update the process.

Zing

Banned
The older 3DS was designed to sell for $250 and likely a financial loss even without the charging cradle. The 2DS (selling to kids or anyone not wanting an XL) gives them time in North America.

This is not an issue. When the XL was released, GameStop allowed people to buy the new system, take it home, do the transfer, then bring in the old system for the trade-in, given as a partial refund (or return and rebuy). They probably still allow this, but I no longer live in the US to verify.

Otherwise, you can simply do the transfer in store. If no free wifi is around, any iPhone can act as an access point.

So they'll have to make a new version of this already terrible table
6v1khQ7.png

Imagine that. New lines for "Plays N3DS games", "New controls", "Better 3D"
This is going to be so confusing for grandparents trying to buy a present.

Sandfox

6v1khQ7.png

The original models probably aren't going to be on the market anymore.

hongcha

Pardon my ignorance, but do the improvements in Ram etc will give a visual uphaul to regular 3ds titles?

Not to titles that are already released. Some future games will be coded to play better on the n3ds than the 3ds, however. I imagine Nintendo will take advantage of this for their first party games.

6v1khQ7.png

They will phase out the original models. Probably keep the 2DS around.

Nikokuno

Pardon my ignorance, but do the improvements in Ram etc will give a visual uphaul to regular 3ds titles?

More RAM (quantity) => more textures, more details, etc
Better RAM (speed) => less popping, less loading textures, etc

For better IQ you need to change the GPU itself. Or overclock it but the temperature will increase.

JoJoSono

Banned
Yep, one-way (which makes perfect sense).

What is the way to do it? Do you have to have you're 3ds to transfer game saves to a new 3ds? Or can I just my memory card in my computer and connect the new 3ds to the computer and transfer it that way?

I'm trying to figure out out if it would be fine to trade in my 3ds now.

Top Bottom