• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerJM

Banned
It SHOULD last like five, but it won't, and that's probably for the best because that would drive up the price like crazy.

I think it'll last like three at most.

I'm doing this based on highest brightness setting because that's what I always play on.

dano1

A Sheep
So the real problem isn't that the Switch exists, so much as we didn't get a Nintendo PS4

Am I about on target here?

Well considering that has sold about 50 million consoles it probably wouldn't be a bad idea..

Being different hasn't been working so well lately!

Of course you need great games but if you don't think graphics are important your fooling yourself.

Otherwise we would still be playing on a Nes.

Well considering that has sold about 50 million consoles it probably wouldn't be a bad idea..

Of course you need great games but if you don't think graphics are important your fooling yourself.

Many, many consumers will be doing just that this holiday season.

random25

I'm fine with 3 hours battery life on max settings (max brightness, WiFi on, max sound, etc.) as long as fast charging via USB cable exists. Charge it while taking bathroom break before going to the office/school, charge it while at the office or at school, charge it while taking short lunch or coffee breaks, etc. There's just so many options for charging electronic devices before that never existed several years ago because of non-standardized chargers and ports. Besides, battery banks exist for this type of devices nowadays.

Being different has actually worked tremendously well for the Wii, DS, and 3DS. It's almost like there's more to success than simply being the same or different than another product...

A Nintendo PS4 won't convince western PS4/XB1 owners to buy it for games they can already play. Japan won't buy it, because it's a home console, and the market almost wholly revolves around handhelds. The only reliable audience is western Nintendo console die-hards, and we saw exactly how far that gets you.

Nintendo has instead chosen to design a product that will appeal to the Japanese market while also consolidating it's split home/portable market abroad. There's no GUARANTEE that will succeed, or that it is the single best possible option, but it is a far better business move for Nintendo than to make a powerful home console for a limited audience.

JavyOO7

I'm sure Switch's battery is like the n3ds XL... 3-4 hours. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

And that's with the brightness setting at one, I think? I can imagine Switch, being as strong as it is, draining battery like no tomorrow.

I'm so pumped for this thing. Give it to me already...

BY2K

Membero Americo
The reveal of Xenoblade Chronicles X (at the time known as X) is still one of the best fucking things ever.

I can't wait to see what Monolith Soft has in store for Switch.

The reveal of Xenoblade Chronicles X (at the time known as X) is still one of the best fucking things ever.

If we've been particularly good, maybe we'll get an XCX port in addition to whatever Monolith is working on, assuming Switch provides a decent powet improvement (which all signs point to). I can't even imagine what it would look like on a more powerful system. They squeezed THAT out of the Wii U?!?

random25

I really want Monolithsoft to be more active this time around. A XenoX sequel or two and 2 or more new RPGs that isn't Project X Zone.

Lernaean

Banned
Well. do people want a Nintendo system which unifies its two branches?

We do actually. If this gen taught us anything is that the 2 systems cannibalized each other.
Now imagine the 2 libraries, plus new games being made by those forced to work on ports of games from either system (see Mario Maker more recently), and you have one very compelling library.

Do you guys think a Switch version of Pokémon Sun/Moon is likely?

The current rumor making the rounds, I believe from Emily Rogers but don't quote me on that, is that there is a traditional Pokemon game planned for 2017.

Now... is that a Sun/Moon port? A third version? Something else entirely? That's still up in the air for now. Emily or Laura (or someone else) may find something definitive out before January, but prepare not to hear anything before then.

I mean, if you think it all the way through, absolutely. Off the top of my head... freaking Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Ace Attorney, etc. on an HDTV, and Zelda anywhere I want it. That's a strong selling point right there.

But also, think of how much development time and resources Nintendo wastes having to develop twice as many Marios and Mario Party/Kart/Sports and Zeldas and VC titles and so on and so forth. Now Nintendo doesn't have to fluff up two separate systems so that people who only bought one still get a couple of Zeldas to play... all effort goes into churning out games for one system. They can make fewer filler titles, focus more on the games they're putting out, and spend resources developing riskier titles or reviving dead properties because they don't have to make as many games in the same key moneymakers just to juggle two libraries.

ASIS

Settling for 5 hours is depressing.
Yeah I realize battery life is a huge challenge and that this is a problem not unique to Nintendo. I also understand that we need to keep expectations in check and that even 5 hours might be a stretch. But still! I can't help but recall how DS Lite had 18 hours of battery life. That was such a huge selling point at the time.

Is there any reason why the battery industry is making comparatively no progress?

random25

People usually don't know what they want until it is there staring at their faces. Only time will tell if this is the case for Switch.

Settling for 5 hours is depressing.
Yeah I realize battery life is a huge challenge and that this is a problem not unique to Nintendo. I also understand that we need to keep expectations in check and that even 5 hours might be a stretch. But still! I can't help but recall how DS Lite had 18 hours of battery life. That was such a huge selling point at the time.

Is there any reason why the battery industry is making comparatively no progress?

It's not that the battery industry is not making progress. It's just that the semiconductor industry is moving at a much rapid pace compared to the other.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am just glad we are getting another Nintendo console, so afraid investors are going to push them into mobile gaming/deluting their brand. Then there wont be much point left.

Ninja Dom

I am just glad we are getting another Nintendo console, so afraid investors are going to push them into mobile gaming/deluting their brand. Then there wont be much point left.

Nintendo are very cautious about diluting their brand but they also recognise that they have to make games for mobile too. Super Mario Run had to come out at a price on mobile ($10) that doesn't devalue the IP.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have my n3DS at full brightness and no power saver and get on fine with it on a daily basis so I guess at least whatever that is.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nintendo are very cautious about diluting their brand but they also recognise that they have to make games for mobile too. Super Mario Run had to come out at a price on mobile ($10) that doesn't devalue the IP.

The current leadership is aware of it, but investors still seems to heavily prefer to push them in this direction. And also so-called analysts have been critical of Nintendos modest monetization plan in Pokemon Go. So I just hope that Kimishima and the leadership can hold these people at bay - and that the Switch is a success.

pE9TJJ9.png

How long do you think the Nintendo Switch's battery should last?

Should last? Should last 10 hours. We all know it won't.

I can't help but recall how DS Lite had 18 hours of battery life. That was such a huge selling point at the time.

Nah, the original DS was 6-8 hours. The DS Lite was somewhere around 10-12 hours. Not bad in any case.

Matbtz

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...launch-splatoon-pack-in-no-march-wii-u-zelda/

TLDR: non-linear 3d Mario and Skyrim remaster (mods to come later) at launch, new Splatoon pack-in (including a 1 vs. 1 MP mode which make so much sense for promoting the Switch and new SP content)

I like the sound of this.

Me too, I really like this.

(But for the platoon part, the 1 vs 1 is with 2 switches and not multiplayer from only one switch with each player holding a joycon, right ?)

Emily Rogers
‏@ArcadeGirl64 Emily Rogers Retweeted Joe Merrick
There's also a Pokemon game coming to Switch early next year...MCV wasn't lying about that when they reported it...

Allow me to backpeddal a bit. I don't know if it will be early next year...but there's definitely a Pokemon game coming..it's not Pokken.

That's not to say that Pokken couldn't come to Switch. But that's not the Pokemon game I'm hearing.

TheMoon

Emily Rogers
‏@ArcadeGirl64 Emily Rogers Retweeted Joe Merrick
There's also a Pokemon game coming to Switch early next year...MCV wasn't lying about that when they reported it...

Allow me to backpeddal a bit. I don't know if it will be early next year...but there's definitely a Pokemon game coming..it's not Pokken.

That's not to say that Pokken couldn't come to Switch. But that's not the Pokemon game I'm hearing.

putting this in a quote and adding a source link would be nice :)

https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/798843773329362944

kromeo

As long as it has a proper sleep mode this time I'm fine with the battery, lost progress so many times on the 3ds when it runs out overnight

TheMoon

As long as it has a proper sleep mode this time I'm fine with the battery, lost progress so many times on the 3ds when it runs out overnight

How did this happen more than once? Just plug it in.

When I forgot mine in my bag every now and then it ran fine the next day still.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...launch-splatoon-pack-in-no-march-wii-u-zelda/

TLDR: non-linear 3d Mario and Skyrim remaster (mods to come later) at launch, new Splatoon pack-in (including a 1 vs. 1 MP mode which make so much sense for promoting the Switch and new SP content)

I like the sound of this.

Me too, I really like this.

(But for the platoon part, the 1 vs 1 is with 2 switches and not multiplayer from only one switch with each player holding a joycon, right ?)

Seeing that I have no interest in splatoon I'd rather they just not include the game and have a lower price. Just sucks if you want the version with more memory that you have to have the bundled game.

Peru

Seeing that I have no interest in splatoon I'd rather they just not include the game and have a lower price. Just sucks if you want the version with more memory that you have to have the bundled game.

I'm curious if that will be the case that you have to go pack-in if you want more memory. I assume the game will not add much to the cost, though.

Logash

It's gonna be so hard for me not to buy this at launch. Don't get me wrong, I am really excited for this but with the money I would use to buy this I can buy all the great games coming Spring 2017... Choices....

jonno394

For all we know "more memory" could just be a bigger SD card,

me0wish

Nintendo Switch.

Good at 2 things Great at nothing...

As a Nintendo "fanboy" that is pretty hyped about the NS, I find nothing wrong with this statement, its a valid opinion and I think some people are overreacting to it.

optimiss

So if BOTW was on NES it could have all the same gameplay, AI, physics, and world size, just with 8-bit graphics? Lol that is ridiculous.

cand

Zelda being delayed was a good thing for my wallet and my time. Now I can buy a Splatoon bundle with mario and skyrim and be well served until Zelda's launch. Having to juggle Zelda and Skyrim would ruin me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thanks. I just PM'd Heath asking if we can. Maybe posters #2 and 3 can put it in their posts.

Definitely. My condolences to your thread. It was well made thread. Heck, it's way better than this thread so I will edit them in when I get home. You did fantastic job with it. 👏🏻👏🏻

Moltenix

The pack-in game probably doesn't cost all that much. You're still primarily paying extra for the increased storage.

So, I've been doing a list of the games that could be announced on the January presentation, or E3. Some are speculations, some are games I would like to see, and I don't care about many of them. They could happen, could not, but just to get an idea. I have specified the name of the franchise many times, thinking that a new game of it could be revealed (not in the presentation or E3, but announced for Switch in another presentation).

Overall, I expect ports, ports, and ports. Most of them from games that have been released even one month ago. Some could also arrive in the near future.

New First Party games:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • 3D Mario
  • 2D Mario
  • Metroid (5? 2D or 3D?)
  • Kirby
  • Kid Icarus HD
  • Switch Party
  • Nintendoland 2
  • Wario Ware Switch
  • Animal Crossing Switch
  • Mario Golf Switch (by Camelot)
  • New Retro Studios game
  • New Monolith Soft game
Virtual console worldwide reveal:
  • Mother 3
Ports:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Splatoon
  • Super Smash Bros 4
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon HD
Remasters (by Nintendo, Tantalus, Grezzo,...):
  • Super Mario Sunshine HD
  • F-Zero GX HD
  • Eternal Darkness HD
  • Disaster Day of Crisis HD
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
  • Skyward Sword HD (just a teaser, but 2018 the earliest)
2nd party games, collaborations, and exclusive games:
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (by Next Level)
  • Mario & Luigi 6
  • Wario Land 7 (by Good-Feel)
  • F-Zero Switch (by Shinen)
  • True Mirage Resurrection #FE (Shin Mirage Tensei #FE, by Atlus, another SMTvsFE game, with no idols
    (believe)
    )
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (by Koei-Tecmo)
  • Bayonetta 3 (just a teaser, by PlatinumGames)
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2 (by Ubisoft)
3rd party games (multiplatform games, some could be exclusive announcements, some not)
  • 505 games: Cooking Mama Switch, Abzu
  • Activision: Crash Bandicoot Remastered, Skylanders. Spongebob Squarepants game
  • Arc System Works: Dragon Ball Extreme Boduten HD
  • Atlus: Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV + Apocalypse HD, Shin Megami Tensei V (or spin-off), new Trauma Center game, Etrian Odyssey 6 or 3 Remake
  • Bandai-Namco: Tales of Berseria, One Piece Burning Blood, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Tekken vs Street Fighter 2
  • Bethesda: Skyrim Special Edition or Remastered, Dishonored 2, Fallout 4
  • Capcom: Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil ⅚ remastered, Monster Hunter XX HD, new Ace Attorney game
  • EA: Mass Effect Andromeda, Fifa 17, Plants vs Zombies
  • From Software: Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 1 Remastered, new game?
  • Grasshopper Manufacture: No More Heroes 1/2 Remastered, No More Heroes 3, Lily Bergamo
    (believe)
  • Tecmo-Koei: Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Nobunaga’s Ambition, Attack on Titan, Berserk
  • Konami: Metal Gear Survival, new Castlevania
  • Level 5: Inazuma Eleven HD, Layton HD, Yokai Watch HD, Ni no Kuni 2
  • Maximum Games: Farming Simulator, American Truck Simulator
  • Nippon Ichi Software: Disgaea 5
  • Platinum games: Nier Automata, new IP game?
  • Playtonic games: Yooka-Laylee
  • Sega: Sonic Mania, Sonic Project 2017, Football Manager 2017, Hatsune Miku, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • Spike Chunsoft: Zero Escape Nonary Games, Danganronpa ½ Reload, Danganronpa 3
  • Square-Enix: Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest 10, Kingdom Hearts 3, Bravely Default HD, Bravely Third, Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Take-Two: Bioshock Collection, NBA 2K17, Civilization VI
  • Telltale games: Batman, Minecraft story mode, Nintendo IP game?
  • THQ Nordic: Darksiders Remastered
  • Tokyo RPG Factory: I am Setsuna
  • Traveller’s Tales: Lego Worlds, Lego Marvel, Nintendo IP Lego game?
  • Ubisoft: Just Dance, Steep, South Park, Watch Dogs 2, For Honor, Assassin’s Creed Ezio Collection, new Rayman?
  • Warner Bros: Injustice 2

I'd have an orgasm if even half of that list comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom