• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I want is being able to transfer all the Virtual Console games (NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA/Game Gear) on my 3DS and Wii U to the Switch.

I don't have too many games on Wii U but I've actually gotten a pretty big collection of retro games on my 3DS, some of which I've had since being a 3DS ambassador. Would hate having to kiss them all goodbye.

+ Incorporate the Badge Arcade and 3DS style customization to the interface
+ Miiverse integrated everywhere
+ Voice-activated game launch
+ Nintendo stickers/badges able to be earned from software like achievements but with decorative capabilities
+ Mii stickers -- place your profile sticker to access your profile, and put stickers of your "favorite friends" to see their activity and stuff on the home screen.

jwillenn

Fjn7fY4.png

Eh, the list could get to be long (and sometimes crazy), but here's one idea I've had for quite a while now.

Custom Alerts
-create alert/notification/messages to be return to the player according to conditions the player sets (easily)
-alerts and their triggers can be in text, audio, video, or combination

So on the NS, I am at Settings > Custom Alerts.

Example #1
Step 1: Create Your Alert
[Text Alert]
"The lag is usually out of control while playing this person. Do not continue from this point! Leave NOW!" (set to scroll from right to left at the bottom of the screen.

Step 2: Set Return Style
Alert Reminder Icon Appears. Press (-) on JoyCon to have alert scroll from right to left at the bottom of the screen.

Step 3: Define Condition
a. Game: Super Smash Bros 4 NS
b. Cue Type: Video (Selects Video created using NS' version of Share)
c. Emphasis (places box around the area of the video where an online opponent's alias (WooHooMan) and Mii ( :)) are visible at the character select screen)
d. More Options

Step 4: Test (Optional) and Complete

Now, if the player wants to test the result, they can do so using captured gameplay video. So, play a saved video which includes "WooHooMan and :)" at character select screen, and watch your message be returned to you in the style you selected.

Here's another example.

Example #2
Step 1: Create Your Alert
[Audio/Video Alert]
Select Recorded Gameplay Video and Audio Recording (you can choose the time ranges for playback of audio segments joined with the Gameplay Video).

Step 2: Set Return Style
Alert Icon Appears. Press (-) on the Left JoyCon to play back alert.

Step 3: Define Condition
a. Game: Bayonetta 3
b. Cue Type: Audio (Selects Audio taken from Gameplay Video Recording created using NS' version of Share)
c. Emphasis (Not Desired)
d. More Options

Step 4: Test & Complete

So I cut details out of the example, but basically when I reach a particular cutscene of a boss fight, a series of words from the boss will trigger the reminder that a related alert was set for this. I'll press - on the JoyCon and get the playback of a video that demonstrates my favorite strategy for earning Pure Platinum for this boss.

And of course players can share their alerts with all others.

I feel like this could be extremely useful.

JB2448

One thing that interests me in how Nintendo is marketing the Switch internationally is the difference in it being referred to as a "home gaming system" or just a "gaming console" in the initial screen everyone sees when they first go to the official Switch site in each region. To test this out, try it in a private browsing session using your preferred browser.
In North America, Europe, and Australia:
http://www.nintendo.com/switch said:
In Japan:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/ said:

marmoka

Banned
So, I've been doing a list of the games that could be announced on the January presentation, or E3. Some are speculations, some are games I would like to see, and I don't care about many of them. They could happen, could not, but just to get an idea. I have specified the name of the franchise many times, thinking that a new game of it could be revealed (not in the presentation or E3, but announced for Switch in another presentation).

Overall, I expect ports, ports, and ports. Most of them from games that have been released even one month ago. Some could also arrive in the near future.

New First Party games:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • 3D Mario
  • 2D Mario
  • Metroid (5? 2D or 3D?)
  • Kirby
  • Kid Icarus HD
  • Switch Party
  • Nintendoland 2
  • Wario Ware Switch
  • Animal Crossing Switch
  • Mario Golf Switch (by Camelot)
  • New Retro Studios game
  • New Monolith Soft game
Virtual console worldwide reveal:
  • Mother 3
Ports:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Splatoon
  • Super Smash Bros 4
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon HD
Remasters (by Nintendo, Tantalus, Grezzo,...):
  • Super Mario Sunshine HD
  • F-Zero GX HD
  • Eternal Darkness HD
  • Disaster Day of Crisis HD
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
  • Skyward Sword HD (just a teaser, but 2018 the earliest)
2nd party games, collaborations, and exclusive games:
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (by Next Level)
  • Mario & Luigi 6
  • Wario Land 7 (by Good-Feel)
  • F-Zero Switch (by Shinen)
  • True Mirage Resurrection #FE (Shin Mirage Tensei #FE, by Atlus, another SMTvsFE game, with no idols
    (believe)
    )
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (by Koei-Tecmo)
  • Bayonetta 3 (just a teaser, by PlatinumGames)
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2 (by Ubisoft)
3rd party games (multiplatform games, some could be exclusive announcements, some not)
  • 505 games: Cooking Mama Switch, Abzu
  • Activision: Crash Bandicoot Remastered, Skylanders. Spongebob Squarepants game
  • Arc System Works: Dragon Ball Extreme Boduten HD
  • Atlus: Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV + Apocalypse HD, Shin Megami Tensei V (or spin-off), new Trauma Center game, Etrian Odyssey 6 or 3 Remake
  • Bandai-Namco: Tales of Berseria, One Piece Burning Blood, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Tekken vs Street Fighter 2
  • Bethesda: Skyrim Special Edition or Remastered, Dishonored 2, Fallout 4
  • Capcom: Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil ⅚ remastered, Monster Hunter XX HD, new Ace Attorney game
  • EA: Mass Effect Andromeda, Fifa 17, Plants vs Zombies
  • From Software: Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 1 Remastered, new game?
  • Grasshopper Manufacture: No More Heroes 1/2 Remastered, No More Heroes 3, Lily Bergamo
    (believe)
  • Tecmo-Koei: Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Nobunaga’s Ambition, Attack on Titan, Berserk
  • Konami: Metal Gear Survival, new Castlevania
  • Level 5: Inazuma Eleven HD, Layton HD, Yokai Watch HD, Ni no Kuni 2
  • Maximum Games: Farming Simulator, American Truck Simulator
  • Nippon Ichi Software: Disgaea 5
  • Platinum games: Nier Automata, new IP game?
  • Playtonic games: Yooka-Laylee
  • Sega: Sonic Mania, Sonic Project 2017, Football Manager 2017, Hatsune Miku, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • Spike Chunsoft: Zero Escape Nonary Games, Danganronpa ½ Reload, Danganronpa 3
  • Square-Enix: Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest 10, Kingdom Hearts 3, Bravely Default HD, Bravely Third, Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Take-Two: Bioshock Collection, NBA 2K17, Civilization VI
  • Telltale games: Batman, Minecraft story mode, Nintendo IP game?
  • THQ Nordic: Darksiders Remastered
  • Tokyo RPG Factory: I am Setsuna
  • Traveller’s Tales: Lego Worlds, Lego Marvel, Nintendo IP Lego game?
  • Ubisoft: Just Dance, Steep, South Park, Watch Dogs 2, For Honor, Assassin’s Creed Ezio Collection, new Rayman?
  • Warner Bros: Injustice 2

New Day, New Question!

Fjn7fY4.png

What feature(s) would you like to see in Nintendo Switch's Operating System??

considering the rumoured region free is true, easy account switching is kept and pls not make it like vita crap where you need to reformat memory card everytime you want to change account. also, quick launch

Zedark

pE9TJJ9.png

How long do you think the Nintendo Switch's battery should last?

I would say 4 hours. That is a very good amount of time for purely playing games, so I would be happy if that. 3 hours would be a little bit short, but I'd take it all the same.

I'd cosign with 4 hours.

Just as important: that we're able to charge on the go without the dock. Personally, I'll be using it as a home console >90% of the time, but if I can bring it with me to woke and plug it in via a wall wart, I'll be a happy camper.

Definitely, that would make it extremely convenient in my eyes.

HylianTom

Banned

I'd cosign with 4 hours.

Just as important: that we're able to charge on the go without the dock. Personally, I'll be using it as a home console >90% of the time, but if I can bring it with me to woke and plug it in via a wall wart, I'll be a happy camper.

Javier

4 hours is fine by me. I mostly game at home these days so I'll be using as a console for the most part, but four hours is enough for my portable fix.

Battery

I'm expecting three hours of solid game time and I'll be disappointed if I can't get that many.

Anything more than that will be a nice bonus. Because of the dock, I'm not worried about playing comfortably at home in either configuration. I'm sure the battery life will be enough for me to 'simulate' off tv play when I need it (plus, you could still plug the handheld in, I guess).

People have been putting a lot of stock into the battery life, but I personally am just rarely in places where I am unable to plug in any device, so it's not too huge of an issue for me. I just don't want to have to think about it all the time.

Anyways, expecting 3. Maybe 2.5 with high brightness and all that. I would be very hyped, but mostly impressed, by 4 or more hours.

pE9TJJ9.png

My $750 phone battery lasts probably less than 2 hours during gaming, so I'd be fine with 3 for the Switch, presuming it can be charged while not docked (which the rumors have indicated).

I've already invested in portable power packs so in the rare events when I'm bringing the Switch out of the house that should solve most battery issues.

LordofPwn

pE9TJJ9.png

I'll be happy with 2 hours, 4 is my max expected. i honestly dont see myself using this thing for more than 2 hours without being near a power source, the rare exception would be if i take a flight somewhere, and if on a flight for more than 2 hours i'd probably try and get a portable battery pack to bring.

JCH!

As long as I can charge it with a battery pack I don't think battery time is that big a deal.

Obviously, the longer it lasts the better but it's not a deciding factor for me.

What does everyone think about Nintendo's mobile strategy when it comes to the Switch?

I personally think Nintendo has laid out very clearly that their main goal with their mobile games is to expose a much broader audience to their IP, and attempt to convert that audience to Nintendo's hardware so that they can buy games with those IP on that hardware. This strategy seems to have worked with Pokemon GO, so I imagine they are continuing with it going forward.

This should mean that any mobile game being released SHOULD have a Switch game counterpart coming relatively shortly after. Mario Run --> Mario Switch, Animal Crossing Mobile--> Animal Crossing Switch, and so on. Do we think this is a good indicator of what Switch games we'll be seeing next year (i.e. Mario, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem (maybe spinoff))?

Also, in helping with that "conversion" to dedicated hardware, I think My Nintendo will play a big role. Say, if you buy and register Mario Run, you get a 10% discount off of Mario Switch. That will encourage more people to actually pick up a Switch. Maybe even some compatibility between mobile games and Switch games too, like sharing a Pokemon, Mario costumes, AC items... Things like that which give these mobile gamers a big reason to investigate the Switch would be a very good way to help bolster the install base.

Do people agree that this is likely going to be Nintendo's strategy when it comes to the Switch and mobile gaming?

Terrell

pE9TJJ9.png

I am more concerned with its replacability, to be honest. I don't intend to take it out of the house much, but when I do, it'll be under the same expectation as my phone's battery in active use, which should be easy to achieve. But when it blinks out and/or diminishes, I want to be able to have that battery replaced.

foltzie1

As long as it can given cost, size, and weight requirements, but no less than 3 hours (which puts in the the ballpark of a modern cell phone or tablet playing a game.

Also an official extended battery would be nice.

Frostman

So, I've been doing a list of the games that could be announced on the January presentation, or E3. Some are speculations, some are games I would like to see, and I don't care about many of them. They could happen, could not, but just to get an idea. I have specified the name of the franchise many times, thinking that a new game of it could be revealed (not in the presentation or E3, but announced for Switch in another presentation).

Overall, I expect ports, ports, and ports. Most of them from games that have been released even one month ago. Some could also arrive in the near future.

New First Party games:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • 3D Mario
  • 2D Mario
  • Metroid (5? 2D or 3D?)
  • Kirby
  • Kid Icarus HD
  • Switch Party
  • Nintendoland 2
  • Wario Ware Switch
  • Animal Crossing Switch
  • New Retro Studios game
  • New Monolith Soft game
  • Mother 3
Ports:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Splatoon
  • Super Smash Bros 4
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon HD
  • F-Zero GX HD
  • Eternal Darkness HD
  • Mario & Luigi 6
  • True Mirage Resurrection #FE (Shin Mirage Tensei #FE, by Atlus, another SMTvsFE game, with no idols
    (believe)
    )
3rd party games (multiplatform games, some could be exclusive announcements, some not)
  • Activision: Crash Bandicoot Remastered, Skylanders. Spongebob Squarepants game
  • Atlus: Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV + Apocalypse HD, Shin Megami Tensei V (or spin-off), new Trauma Center game, Etrian Odyssey 6 or 3 Remake
  • Bandai-Namco: Tales of Berseria, One Piece Burning Blood, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Tekken vs Street Fighter 2
  • Capcom: Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil ⅚ remastered, Monster Hunter XX HD, new Ace Attorney game
  • Grasshopper Manufacture: No More Heroes 1/2 Remastered, No More Heroes 3, Lily Bergamo
    (believe)
  • Tecmo-Koei: Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Nobunaga’s Ambition, Attack on Titan, Berserk
  • Sega: Sonic Mania, Sonic Project 2017, Football Manager 2017, Hatsune Miku, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • Square-Enix: Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest 10, Kingdom Hearts 3, Bravely Default HD, Bravely Third, Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Ubisoft: Just Dance, Steep, South Park, Watch Dogs 2, For Honor, Assassin’s Creed Ezio Collection, new Rayman?

Wow..... Quite the list.

FF15, FF 7 remake, Crash Remastered, Civ 6, Nier, DS3 and DS 1 Remastered, RotTR, Andromeda, Persona 5......

I'm just going to say, you might want to reign in those expectations. Especially 3rd Party. Although Publishers will want to support the platform, its unproven. They aren't stupid, quite a few of them have supported Nintendo at launch before, and we all know how that turned out (dropping support fast with the Wii U).

Roo

pE9TJJ9.png

3-4 hours should be fine, I think.
Most of the time I don't play more than 3 hours consecutively anyway so I don't really care.

Plus it probably never will leave the dock outside of the random family trip once or twice a year so the battery is not a issue for me.

PetrCobra

pE9TJJ9.png

how long do you think the Nintendo Switch's battery should last?

At least 10 hours, to be quite honest.

Also, games lists are great. Should probably add Project Cars to them, as the developer said that because they couldn't make the game run on Wii U properly, they were considering to bring it to Switch (NX at the time)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
New Day, New Question!

Fjn7fY4.png

What feature(s) would you like to see in Nintendo Switch's Operating System??

I would love to see PS4 share feature where we could record our own sessions and upload it on YouTube but I know it might be unrealistic to see it happening.

pE9TJJ9.png

3 hours sounds good to me since I don't really play more than a hour or two on handheld consoles.

Cartho

New First Party games:
  • Breath of the Wild
  • 3D Mario
  • 2D Mario
  • Metroid (5? 2D or 3D?)
  • Kirby
  • Kid Icarus HD
  • Switch Party
  • Nintendoland 2
  • Wario Ware Switch
  • Animal Crossing Switch
  • New Retro Studios game
  • New Monolith Soft game
  • Mother 3
Ports:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Splatoon
  • Super Smash Bros 4
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon HD
  • F-Zero GX HD
  • Eternal Darkness HD
  • Mario & Luigi 6
    (believe)
    )
    (believe)

There are some mega graphically intensive games on there. FF XV, Mass Effect Andromeda?

Do we really think Switch is gonna be that powerful? What's the current thinking in terms of power compared to, say, xbox 1?

What does everyone think about Nintendo's mobile strategy when it comes to the Switch?

I personally think Nintendo has laid out very clearly that their main goal with their mobile games is to expose a much broader audience to their IP, and attempt to convert that audience to Nintendo's hardware so that they can buy games with those IP on that hardware. This strategy seems to have worked with Pokemon GO, so I imagine they are continuing with it going forward.

This should mean that any mobile game being released SHOULD have a Switch game counterpart coming relatively shortly after. Mario Run --> Mario Switch, Animal Crossing Mobile--> Animal Crossing Switch, and so on. Do we think this is a good indicator of what Switch games we'll be seeing next year (i.e. Mario, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem (maybe spinoff))?

Also, in helping with that "conversion" to dedicated hardware, I think My Nintendo will play a big role. Say, if you buy and register Mario Run, you get a 10% discount off of Mario Switch. That will encourage more people to actually pick up a Switch. Maybe even some compatibility between mobile games and Switch games too, like sharing a Pokemon, Mario costumes, AC items... Things like that which give these mobile gamers a big reason to investigate the Switch would be a very good way to help bolster the install base.

Do people agree that this is likely going to be Nintendo's strategy when it comes to the Switch and mobile gaming?

I absolutely agree with you in that I think Nintendo will pair their mobile games with Switch counterparts. It would just be silly for something like a mobile Mario game to not advertise or interact with the Switch Mario game. Your discount idea is also great! I definitely want to see something where we either get direct discounts or My Nintendo coins for every mobile app.

I have a pie in the sky theory that Nintendo might have mobile games playable on the Switch in some form. We can probably say pretty safely that Switch won't have the iOS or Google Play App stores on it, but what about something else? The Kindle Fire and Samsung phones/tablets have their own custom app stores, so I don't see why Nintendo couldn't have something similar. This theory just stems from my personal worry that the Switch needs some kind of hook that makes it more of a multi-purpose device than just a gaming machine. No one likes a uni-tasker in this day and age.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The only thing I want:

Need Proper Account system for digital purchases. Steam library equivalent.

Managed externally, hardware agnostic, software purchased to account and not specific hardware. This account should keep track of all Nintendo purchases and tie them all together. Switch, future portables, future VC boxes, mobile, etc. EVERYTHING!

Actually achieve this Nintendo and I'm there day 1. Offer me a way to transfer my prior digital purchase licenses and I'm there day -1.

Don't actually do this and just like with current gen, no more digital purchases on Nintendo for me. Won't pick up at launch, maybe once games come out.

Matbtz

pE9TJJ9.png

I guess 4 hours could be enough but the real question is : Can I connect my power bank to my switch ? If Nintendo put indeed a usb-c then I don't care so much about battery life. I already take with me my 16000 mAH power bank with me on all travels.

Kazooie

Banned
Don't want to start a new thread for this but has anyone else seriously considered scrapping their PS4/XOne and just going all in on the Switch?

At the minute I have a PS4 and One S.

Some days I wake up and want to upgrade to a Pro and Scorpio and get a 4k HDR TV.

The next I'm just thinking this is ridiculous I mainly only play PES and Rocket League between both consoles.

Plus I remember having so much fun on my Wii U on MK8 and Smash before I sold it. But if I sell my PS4 and Xbox I will miss Naughty Dog and Gears/Halo. The grass is always greener and all that.

Just thought I'd through that out there...

Like if they bring Yooka Laylee and Rocket League to Switch it will make the decision 10 times easier.

dano1

A Sheep
Bottom of the barrel, regurgitated reddit-tier driveby posts don't count as discussion in this discussion thread.

Ok how about this.

I have no interest in the portable part of this system. Which means I'm paying for a screen 2 slide controllers and a dock I will never use!! If I'm going to pay $250 -$300 for a home console I want the best tech for what I'm going to use it for. A home console!!

Or a better move might have been to keep the same tech and sell each separate for a reduced price.
Both would use the same games of course but sell the home unit for $150 and the portable for $200

And maybe a bundle for $300.

Ok how about this.

I have no interest in the portable part of this system. Which means I'm paying for a screen 2 slide controllers and a dock I will never use!! If I'm going to pay $250 -$300 for a home console I want the best tech for what I'm going to use it for. A home console!!

Or a better move might have been to keep the same tech and sell each separate for a reduced price.
Both would use the same games of course but sell the home unit for $150 and the portable for $200

And maybe a bundle for $300.

Yes, because the market would surely be interested in a $150 Nintendo Ouya. The appeal for such a device would be massive, far outside a tiny handful of die-hard Nintendo fans who are also completely opposed to handheld gaming.

Also, hate to break it to you, but the home functionality of the Switch is not adding much to the cost of the unit, and you're probably underpricing both theoretical standalone units. If you think the more powerful Switch is going to be $50 cheaper than the Shield, you're trippin.

dano1

A Sheep
Yes, because the market would surely be interested in a $150 Nintendo Ouya. The appeal for such a device would be massive, far outside a tiny handful of die-hard Nintendo fans who are also completely opposed to handheld gaming.

Also, hate to break it to you, but the home functionality of the Switch is not adding much to the cost of the unit, and you're probably underpricing both theoretical standalone units. If you think the more powerful Switch is going to be $50 cheaper than the Shield, you're trippin.

Your right the home functionality of the switch isn't adding much cost to the unit but the portability of the switch is!
So why should I pay for the screen ( can't be used while playing games on my tv) that won't be leaving my dock?
Would rather have a better specs for my home console and not some mish mash all in one.

Your right the home functionality of the switch isn't adding much cost to the unit but the portability of the switch is!
So why should I pay for the screen ( can't be used while playing games on my tv) that won't be leaving my dock?
Would rather have a better specs for my home console and not some mish mash all in one.

So the real problem isn't that the Switch exists, so much as we didn't get a Nintendo PS4

Am I about on target here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom