• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Skyrim looks ok and all, but the game i really want to play again is Morrowind. Sucks that it isnt that who is getting remastered.

Jerm411

Something I'm curious about and admittedly oblivious to is cartridges...does putting the games on one affect pricing at all or should we still expect $60 retail games?

TheMoon

Something I'm curious about and admittedly oblivious to is cartridges...does putting the games on one affect pricing at all or should we still expect $60 retail games?

Realize they're not cartridges. They're game cards. Like the one you use in your 3DS or Vita or DS (=essentially proprietary versions of SD Cards).

They won't affect game prices. Stop thinking SNES/N64 carts with $90 games.

Jerm411

Realize they're not cartridges. They're game cards. Like the one you use in your 3DS or Vita or DS (=essentially proprietary versions of SD Cards).

They won't affect game prices. Stop thinking SNES/N64 carts with $90 games.

Right...just used cartridge because I didn't really know what else to say haha....

I thought they actually might bring the price down, I didn't know....

foltzie1

Right...just used cartridge because I didn't really know what else to say haha....

There haven't been leaks about how the production costs of the cards stand up to the cost of a Blu-Ray. However, its a safe assumption that they are higher, but low enough that it doesn't wipe out the benefits of a Game Card (size, I/O speed, resiliency, ect).

TheMoon

Can't even blame you when even the press doesn't get basic shit like this right and spreads wrong terminology all the time :)

foltzie1

Can't even blame you when even the press doesn't get basic shit like this right and spreads wrong terminology all the time :)

Eh, its nomenclature. Its still a ROM Cartridge, so the use of the term is fine. Game Card is the trademarked term.

The official Nintendo term for NES, SNES, GB, GBA, and N64 cartridges was Game Pak. Game Card has been used for the DS and 3DS.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm waiting for the banners so I could update the OP with the information Max worked on.

Awhile we're waiting. I just added new countdown to OP

t1484274300z1.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Battery-wise, I feel that DS-like life can't be reached again unfortunately, due to the power of the device and how battery tech hasn't evolved fast enough compared to the current levels of power that mobile devices can reach. I'd say, in this case, 4-5 hours (for the most intensive games, like Zelda or Skyrim) would be fine, even if not that great.

Malyse

I expect battery packs and car adapters to offset a relatively short (3.5 hours) battery life.

----

I have a question of the day for some future time:

Assuming the Switch unifies the Nintendo ecosystem, do you expect/want two tiers of game franchises on the system? For example

3DS Zelda
2042964-711412_20130611_005.jpg

Wii U Zelda
screenshot_4-768.jpg

Basically, would you be okay with them doing the Wii thing of having games of differing scales both on the platform a la New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Galaxy?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope so. I don't want to see the death of the "simple" tier simply because we've hit the point a handheld is matching in power to the TV consoles.

Samemind

I expect battery packs and car adapters to offset a relatively short (3.5 hours) battery life.

----

Assuming the Switch unifies the Nintendo ecosystem, do you expect/want two tiers of game franchises on the system? For example

Basically, would you be okay with them doing the Wii thing of having games of differing scales both on the platform a la New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Galaxy?

I want and expect that. There was no point in unifying their software teams if they're just going to thrust the handheld people into expensive, work-intensive HD development. And keeping the 3DS around is not much of a solution to that either. It's already compromised by its early 2010's technology and lack of integration with their new account infrastructure.

HylianTom

Banned
Skyrim looks ok and all, but the game i really want to play again is Morrowind. Sucks that it isnt that who is getting remastered.
Oh my god THIS.

Just re-release it on Switch with all expansion packs, and I'd be set for a year or two, easily.

maxcriden

So, I've been doing a list of the games that could be announced on the January presentation, or E3. Some are speculations, some are games I would like to see, and I don't care about many of them. They could happen, could not, but just to get an idea. I have specified the name of the franchise many times, thinking that a new game of it could be revealed (not in the presentation or E3, but announced for Switch in another presentation).

• Nintendoland 2

I would be absolutely delighted if we got a sequel to Nintendo Land. But I'm not necessarily expecting one until and unless there is a tie-in sequel to the amusement park opening. I would be so pleased to see a sequel to what is one of the most under-appreciated games of all time. I think it was Neiteio who once said NL would have made an incredible OS for Wii U. Like the whole OS would be designed around the NL experience and attractions.

About the battery. 5 is the minimum good amount. 8 is the amazing and 3 is sad.

It seems we are getting just over 3 or so. I agree 5 is the expected minimum good amount. On the bright side, most places have a place to plug something in these days. But, I agree battery life is important for feasibility of portability.

Just in terms of what to expect Nintendo to charge of games, independent of your question regarding game card production costs, I suspect we will see games mostly priced at $40-60 based on what we see of Wii U pricing this gen. Something like a 2D Zelda would be $40, probably. I bet they send Pokémon up to the $50 big leagues.

Battery-wise, I feel that DS-like life can't be reached again unfortunately, due to the power of the device and how battery tech hasn't evolved fast enough compared to the current levels of power that mobile devices can reach. I'd say, in this case, 4-5 hours (for the most intensive games, like Zelda or Skyrim) would be fine, even if not that great.

I never realized the DS Lite was a whopping 19 hours. I mean, I always new it was amazing, but damn. I agree 4-5 hours would be sufficient for not much negative perception of Switch as a portable device. It doesn't seem we are getting that, though, so I expect many Switch battery gripes.

----

Good point on the battery packs and car adapters!

Regarding your question, I absolutely want and expect multiple versions of franchises, i.e. a 2D Zelda and 3D Zelda, the example you gave also, and then I just really want the HH-style experiences not to go anywhere. I'll just say I completely agree with the replies below. I'd like to see a continued mix of both console and HH-style experiences.

I hope so. I don't want to see the death of the "simple" tier simply because we've hit the point a handheld is matching in power to the TV consoles.

I want and expect that. There was no point in unifying their software teams if they're just going to thrust the handheld people into expensive, work-intensive HD development. And keeping the 3DS around is not much of a solution to that either. It's already compromised by its early 2010's technology and lack of integration with their new account infrastructure.

Malyse

Good point on the battery packs and car adapters!

Regarding your question, I absolutely want and expect multiple versions of franchises, i.e. a 2D Zelda and 3D Zelda, the example you gave also, and then I just really want the HH-style experiences not to go anywhere. I'll just say I completely agree with the replies below. I'd like to see a continued mix of both console and HH-style experiences.

Even to the detriment of more new IP?

HylianTom

Banned
What a crazy day is it? I had to change my question because I didn't expect that they would outed what game to be pack-in? I know it's a rumor but it's likely that it could be right.

With all information coming out today, how do you feel about the rumors?

I'm so-so on Splatoon. I suck at those types of games, but still enjoy them. But it seems like the kind of arrangement that would allow Nintendo an upper-hand in Japanese market share, which could pay dividends in other ways down the road.

Happy to hear that at least Mario will be there on Day 1. That'll likely be my main game that brings me into the next generation.

Still bummed about Zelda, but I understand on a logical level.

Zebei

I love splatoon being bundled since I would probably want to play more of it anyway and im sure it will help sales a ton.

Mario Kart being so big would be nice especially since I never bought any DLC.

But honestly im a little worried about the early months since it feels like we have a lot of ports.

Hoping for a lot of NEW games as time goes on.
Day 1 mario being "64 like" is a HUGE plus though.

Blues1990

What a crazy day is it? I had to change my question because I didn't expect that they would outed what game to be pack-in? I know it's a rumor but it's likely that it could be right.

SxDNPUg.png

I'm a bit loss. Exactly what are you talking about with "all information coming out today"?

Even to the detriment of more new IP?

There's no reason why the added efficiencies from developing for a single platform wouldn't let the Zelda team (for example) match their old output (3D Zelda every 3-5 years, top-down Zelda every 2-4 years) while still working on new projects (like Aonuma's teased thief game).

So does anyone have a list of all rumored and/or confirmed games the Switch is getting, when they're releasing, and how likely/credible the rumored ones are?

DavidDesu

3 hour battery wouldn't be ideal. I'm so used to using my iPad for hours (and ridiculously long standby time barely losing any percentage) and it would be cool to use it for Netflix and stuff in bed using the kickstand. It seems like a no brainer they would allow battery to be sent through the controller side bits and make official controller/grip/battery add ons. It's not gonna stop me getting one bit of course the longer it lasts the better. It's like my PlayStation wireless headset. Maybe lasts two sessions max so I just plug it in every single time after I use it, seems like Switch would likely be the same.

javadoze

For reference:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315410
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1315434

Thanks, Maxcriden and Boxter432

I'm feeling fairly optimistic and it all makes sense. Mario Kart and Splatoon had the highest attach rates of any WiiU game, so having Splatoon as a possible pack-in and Mario Kart possibly for launch is a smart move. 3D Mario joining the fray as well means there'll be no shortage of games to play at launch. I can rest easy for Breath of the Wild now.

SxDNPUg.png

For reference:

The ports aren't surprising, nor should anyone assume all we're getting is ports. It's easier to tell people we're getting "Mario Kart" than tell people we're getting "this new IP which hasn't been named yet and is hard to describe"

Zelda is a bit of a disappointment to me but I'm hoping it makes it in by May or June. Holiday 2017 would be pretty disappointment, yeah.

For reference:

I am beyond excited! I loved Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon so being able to play those games with new content sounds amazing. As someone who owns digital copies of both games, I hope Nintendo can offer a discount of some sort on the Switch versions.

At this point, I'm entirely confident that my Wii-U is going in a closet once the Switch comes out. If they port games like Wind Waker I'll honestly just get rid of it for good.

an achievement system of some sort, think they should also expand it into a rewards program. refining what they currently have.

Buying games in store or online would give you points, and then completing all achievements in a game would give you the same amount of points. points could be used to purchase games, store credits, system themes, discounts, and enter into sweepstakes.

Microsoft has achievements, Sony has trophies, Steam has achievements, and i feel like Nintendo can come up with their own system.

Yes! I feel much like with region free gaming, trophies/achievements are another stubborn aspect of Nintendo that needs to go away. It doesn't mean that they need to copy them exactly. But they need to be at system level and across all Switch games. You should be able to pull up some type of card on your dashboard that shows you everything you've earned in each game. They can still do things like stickers to go alongside those if they want. There's nothing preventing them from doing that. But it doesn't hurt to acknowledge that trophies/achievements are something people like and it doesn't take away from the games. And for those that don't like them, just include an option that disables whatever popup displays whenever you earn one.

I think Nintendo would be pleasantly surprised at how many additional VC game they'd sell if they implemented them into those.

I am beyond excited! I loved Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon so being able to play those games with new content sounds amazing. As someone who owns digital copies of both games, I hope Nintendo can offer a discount of some sort on the Switch versions.

At this point, I'm entirely confident that my Wii-U is going in a closet once the Switch comes out. If they port games like Wind Waker I'll honestly just get rid of it for good.

Double-pack ports would be amazing. Imagine Wind Waker + Twilight Princess, or Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask...

Jerm411

SxDNPUg.png

For reference:

I was bummed about BotW being delayed but if I can get a brand spanking new full Mario game, Splatoon, and Skyrim among others at launch....?

Yeah I'll def. take that.

Would keep me busy into Zelda drops in the Summer or Fall.

BFIB

Just redeemed some work recognition thing and got a $250 gift card to Sears. Ohhhhhh boy, think I'm holding onto it for the switch.

----

Nintendo moved to a streamlined unified pipeline a few years back likely to make this move with switch. The pain of waiting 6 years for a new 3d zelda would greatly be offset by a new 2nd zelda, with a new and bigger map. Same with Mario, 3d mario, and then mario 3d land style games. This will also hopefully allow them to run through established franchises we see every gen early on, and maybe we can start seeing old franchises like f zero and 2d metroid, star tropics ect

DekuLink

----

I really want them to do smaller Zeldas as well actually. The bigger games take long time to be finished, have been about 5 years between the big home console games since Wind Waker was released (if you don't count FSA), so it's nice with smaller projects in between.

Would love to see them do projects like Majora again too, they did that in 1 year and that was amazing and fresh.

SxDNPUg.png

I feel even more excited about the Switch now. A new Mario game and a complete Mario Kart 8 later on sounds awesome since I've never played the latter.

maxcriden

The ports aren't surprising, nor should anyone assume all we're getting is ports. It's easier to tell people we're getting "Mario Kart" than tell people we're getting "this new IP which hasn't been named yet and is hard to describe"

Zelda is a bit of a disappointment to me but I'm hoping it makes it in by May or June. Holiday 2017 would be pretty disappointment, yeah.

The new rumor mentioned several months after launch for Zelda. So I'm tempering my expectations big time. I'd be delighted if it came sooner, of course. (I realize you probably saw that part of the rumor, so I'm partly just mentioning it in case others didn't see it.)

I'm anxious to see how the Switch does battery wise. I just bought an Nvidia K1 tablet which would seem somewhat comparable given the architecture and chipset manufacturer, and battery life drains like crazy when playing some of the more intensive games like Borderlands and Half-Life.

I'm really curious to see how much more efficient the Switch chipset is in comparison given that I can maybe squeeze out around 2 hours of gameplay on my K1. I know there are a lot of factors (screen resolution, power efficiency gains, less background applications running), but really hope it's at the very least 3 hours.

The new rumor mentioned several months after launch for Zelda. So I'm tempering my expectations big time. I'd be delighted if it came sooner, of course. (I realize you probably saw that part of the rumor, so I'm partly just mentioning it in case others didn't see it.)

Yeah I saw that but several really only means more than 1, in the strictest definition of the term. And I'm still a bit confused about the report that QA testing can only begin until after the game is finished localization.

I think if Nintendo truly wants/needs it to be there at launch or in the launch window then they'll make it happen.

Blues1990

Ah, cheers.

With regards to the mentioned news above, it's a great initiative for those who haven't picked up Mario Kart 8/Skyrim/Splatoon for the Wii U. A new Mario game and complete editions of Mario Kart 8 & Super Smash Bros. would be pretty fantastic, especially with the Battle Mode being fully revamped.

Do people kind of feel that the Switch will have to least as the same amount of third party support the 3DS has?

I feel the 3DS is probably most comparable to what you will see on the Switch as far as third party support, but with some additional western AAA multiplats and maybe more of the currently Sony exclusive niche Japanese third party titles. That's a good scenario, but it's also a reasonable one.

I would avoid expecting to suddenly get all of the same multiplats PS4/XB1 get. That's a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom