• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

US digital codes won't work on JPN eshop, just tried :(. Also already have a Amazon.jp account and tried to buy a digital eshop card but can't since you will need an Japanese address. After that, I bought a 1000 yen digital card from Play Asia but it seems like they are out of stock at the moment so it's not an instant delivery as of now.....:(.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Weird possible side effect of this is that now the news feed on my unlock screen is all Japanese text on the items. Don't know if only happens the moments you use the foreign store and eventually clears up, or what.

Weird possible side effect of this is that now the news feed on my unlock screen is all Japanese text on the items. Don't know if only happens the moments you use the foreign store and eventually clears up, or what.

you have to switch to your "normal" account back I think. (top left corner)

US digital codes won't work on JPN eshop, just tried :(. Also already have a Amazon.jp account and tried to buy a digital eshop card but can't since you will need an Japanese address. After that, I bought a 1000 yen digital card from Play Asia but it seems like they are out of stock at the moment so it's not an instant delivery as of now.....:(.

Use any random Japanese address.

iphys

If you make a new Amazon Japan account with a Japanese address and your US billing it will work. What I did was check the whois for a Japanese web site to get a Japanese address to use.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
you have to switch to your "normal" account back I think. (top left corner)
I did, that's why I thought it was weird that the moon language still lingered around.

I'm assuming that will work. That's kinda what I do to buy codes on US Amazon, as I'm not in the US.

Ok just did it and yep, can confirm a random Japanese address works! Much thanks for the help yo :D! I guess you really just need to look up a Japanese zip code number and random prefecture since I just put my regular street address and it still worked.

baWjX7z.jpg

Ok just did it and yep, can confirm a random Japanese address works! Much thanks for the help yo :D! I guess you really just need to look up a Japanese zip code number and random prefecture since I just put my regular street address and it still worked.

Fantastic.

Wow it was so easy to set up an address to order. Already got a 10$ code for Metal Slug, in retrospect I wish I had done this to get Disgaea 5 digitally, but whatever it'll be here Tuesday anyway

Anyone figure out how to get rid of the Japanese news, seems like it always sticks to the top. Or do you just disable news and ignore it.

sadromeo

I don't understand how you got this to work.

I created an amazon jpn account. I even added a japanese address in my address book.

But every time I try to buy any Nintendo jpn eshop code, I keep getting the page where it says I am buying from the United States and change my country setting. When I try to change the country setting, Japan is not part of the list of countries.

This is so confusing.

I created an amazon jpn account. I even added a japanese address in my address book.

But every time I try to buy any Nintendo jpn eshop code, I keep getting the page where it says I am buying from the United States and change my country setting. When I try to change the country setting, Japan is not part of the list of countries.

This is so confusing.

I had that problem, I had to make the Japanese address in the address book. Literally used the same as my US address, just found a random Zip code from Japan.

They won't let you change to Japan on the order page because I assume they realize you could lie there just to order it

CDX

Are the NeoGeo games out in any region?

I'm seeing

King of Fighters '98
Waku Waku 7
Shock Troopers
World of Heroes Perfect
Metal Slug 3

games on both the Japanese and Europe eshops

Each game is €6.99 (euro) on the Irish eshop. Or 823円 (yen) on the Japanese eshop.

Use any random Japanese address.

Yep. I just bought a 1000 yen card from Amazon.co.jp using a random Japanese address and my US credit card.

Redeemed it on the Switch eshop, and bought "Master Blaster Zero" for 980 yen.

Now I have 20 yen left over.

This is so confusing.

I had that problem, I had to make the Japanese address in the address book. Literally used the same as my US address, just found a random Zip code from Japan.

They won't let you change to Japan on the order page because I assume they realize you could lie there just to order it

Yeah. I added the Japanese address first to my Amazon.co.jp account before I ordered the card or even put it in my cart.

This is so confusing.
Don't use your actual US address and make a new domestic(Japan) one since it's Amazon Japan. All you need really is a zip code from Japan and the prefecture. Heck here is the one I used, 108-8282 as the zip/postal code and I chose Tokyo-to as the prefecture. It should work since that's basically what I did and you can just add your regular address line after that.

sadromeo

So I added the japan address and added a US credit card.

It allowed me to purchase the code but instead of offering the code, it is under 'verification'. And I will be emailed once the order has been 'verified', which could take up to four hours.

sigh.

edit: Nevermind, it worked!!

Thank you guys!

I really wished my cards just worked in the jpn nintendo eshop but this works. Much appreciated!

Really awesome how the NeoGeo games can be played in 2 Player with a single Joycon pair. Not having to buy another controller right out of the gate is awesome, and this will be fun to play with friends on campus

If you scroll down you'll see your English news feed as well so I assume it's just showing us everything based on when the articles come in.

Do you need a different email adress for another account? I never got the mail with the confirmation code.

If you're using a gmail account you can just add +whatever to your email to make things easier. I have emailaddress+Japan@gmail.com for my Japanese account.

zenspider

I hope Nintendo doesn't decide to remove this feature later on for some reason.

Right? I hope this is by design and not an oversight, since if I understand correctly, tax is still being paid properly. If it becomes an issue because of import pricing, I hope it "market-corrects" for those places i.e. Canada rather than being IP or system locked again.

Region-free should be region-free, right?

Right? I hope this is by design and not an oversight, since if I understand correctly, tax is still being paid properly. If it becomes an issue because of import pricing, I hope it "market-corrects" for those places i.e. Canada rather than being IP or system locked again.

Kinda why I decided to go physical for full retail games (Like Disgaea, and Setsuna when I order it). I seriously doubt they would remove region-free all together as the backlash would be huge, but I wouldnt be surprised if this was a bit too far than what they intended especially when taxes and currency exchange comes in.

CDX

I just wrote a simple guide

How to access different Nintendo Switch eshop regions

Step 1
Go to http://accounts.nintendo.com and create a brand new Nintendo account.

The country you select here when creating a Nintendo account will determine the region of the eshop that account can access.

*You need to use a different email address for every different Nintendo account you create.*

Step 2
Create a new user on your Nintendo Switch.

Now link that newly created user to the Nintendo account you just created.

You can now change eshop regions just by selecting a different user account on your Switch.

How to add money to your Nintendo eShop wallet

You can try your own credit/debit cards, even if they are from a different region.
A few people have reported successfully using their credit/debit cards out of region.

Although It seems most people haven't had success using their own cards.
So if your credit/debit cards don't work out of region try:

Amazon.co.jp offers instant yen codes with no marked up prices.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0116SR6MY/
*Must have a valid
or random
Japanese address on your Amazon.co.jp account to order.

Amazon.co.jp also offers codes for some Nintendo Switch games.

Japanese yen cards and codes can only be redeemed on the Japanese eshop.

Amazon.com offers instant USD codes with no marked up prices
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0YDV8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
*Must have a valid
or random
US address on your Amazoon.com account to order.

Amazon.com also offers codes for some Nintendo Switch games.

US $ cards and codes can only be redeemed on the US Nintendo eshop.

Can GAF recommend me a source for instant euro € or pound £ codes to list here? Also preferably with non-marked up prices if possible.

I tried looking at Amazon.co.uk Amazon.fr and Amazon.de and couldn't quickly find any. Maybe I missed them.

Also, you can change the Amazon.co.jp interface into English this way

3Q10yPyl.png

larger image:

https://i.imgur.com/3Q10yPy.png

Is there any financial benefit to buying games from other regions if you're in the U.K.? How's the exchange rates?
Brexit killed the £ (wait until we actually leave they say...) so there is hardly any benefit. Still to see for yourself the official Nintendo websites have prices so you can get a taste on those. As far as the "PAL" shops go though I see a few where you're saving about 8% compared to paying in £s for some items* but of course if you can't add credit using your card anymore (many people are having problems with Japan and Canada which the don't have problems on 3DS) then it is pretty useless as these deals are inaccessible.

*-It depends on the game due to pricing conversions being different for retail and digital game and also depends on if it is out on other platform. Assuming you're buying in £s I am Setsuna is identical to its Steam price so is cheapest in the UK at £30 whereas Metal Slug 3 is cheapest in South Africa at R91 (otherwise €7 or £6.30).

In the past they've market correct prices for Canada, Russia, South Africa, Australia, the UK (and more?).

Tax is paid in the sense that a purchase on the Japanese eShop you pay the Japanese tax rate (practically all non-USA countries include tax on their prices) which goes to Japan.

sadromeo

I just wrote a simple guide

How to access different Nintendo Switch eshop regions

Step 1
Go to http://accounts.nintendo.com and create a brand new Nintendo account.

The country you select here when creating a Nintendo account will determine the region of the eshop that account can access.

*You need to use a different email address for every different Nintendo account you create.*

Step 2
Create a new user on your Nintendo Switch.

Now link that newly created user to the Nintendo account you just created.

You can now change eshop regions just by selecting a different user account on your Switch.

How to add money to your Nintendo eShop wallet

You can try your own credit/debit cards, even if they are from a different region.
A few people have reported successfully using their credit/debit cards out of region.

Although It seems most people haven't had success using their own cards.
So if your credit/debit cards don't work out of region try:

Amazon.co.jp offers instant yen codes with no marked up prices.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0116SR6MY/
*Must have a valid
or random
Japanese address on your account to order.

Amazon.co.jp also offers codes for some Nintendo Switch games.

Japanese yen cards and codes can only be redeemed on the Japanese eshop.

Amazon.com offers instant USD codes with no marked up prices
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0YDV8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
*Must have a valid
or random
US address on your account to order.

Amazon.com also offers codes for some Nintendo Switch games.

US $ cards and codes can only be redeemed on the US Nintendo eshop.

Can GAF recommend me a source for instant euro € or pound £ codes to list here? Also preferably with non-marked up prices if possible.

I tried looking at Amazon.co.uk Amazon.fr and Amazon.de and couldn't quickly find any. Maybe I missed them.

This is awesome, thank you!

Isomac

So when I am adding CC to amazon do I use the domestic or international setting for billing address?

Edit: I got it to work and downloading Disgaea 5 and Blaster Master. Thanks to Japanese eshop this launch got a lot more interesting.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Honestly debating getting Blaster Master Zero since it has English & it'd give me something to play besides Bomberman. If I buy it with the Japanese account, can I claim the My Nintendo coins with my US account?

iphys

This is so confusing.

I was confused by this too, because it wouldn't let me add Japan, and then even after I went to my address book and specifically put in a Japan address with my Canadian billing, it was still giving me the shopping from Canada warning when I tried to check out, but then I finally noticed if you click the top tab on that page that won't let you put in a Japan address, your Japan address will now be there and you can select it to check out.

iphys

Honestly debating getting Blaster Master Zero since it has English & it'd give me something to play besides Bomberman. If I buy it with the Japanese account, can I claim the My Nintendo coins with my US account?

You'll get separate gold coins in your Japanese MyNintendo account. If you stick to one account and change it back and forth to different regions then all your coins will be together but you risk losing money every time you switch it and I just didn't want to risk it screwing something up with my main account and everything I've bought on Wii U and 3DS. I'm thinking maybe I will try to keep my Canadian account not changing, and just have one other account that I change between different countries so I don't end up with a ridiculous number of MyNintendo accounts that my coins are split between.

This is so confusing.

I had some trouble as well.

I went to the "Manage your content and devices" tab and I was able to change the country. After that, no trouble whatsoever.

Picked up Voez from the Japan store. Such a great rhythm game. Definitely recommend it.

I downloaded the demo for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Feels great to play Tetris again! I thought not having a dpad would be an issue but it felt just fine. That fusion mode is genius.

Debating on picking that up as well as Disgaea 5.

Region free feels so good.

styl3s

nloaded the demo for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Feels great to play Tetris again! I thought not having a dpad would be an issue but it felt just fine. That fusion mode is genius.
Is there any place that has a translated menu so i can navigate it? Puyo Puyo seems like something i am ok buying in japanese if i just knew all the menu stuff.

Lkr

i'm interested in buying puyo puyo tetris on the JP eshop, but it has no english support correct? i wanna play it now but i also have the US version preordered :\

i'm interested in buying puyo puyo tetris on the JP eshop, but it has no english support correct? i wanna play it now but i also have the US version preordered :

The demo might hold you over. I think that's what I will do. Seems a lot more expensive in the Japanese store.

I've skimmed through this thread and I don't understand why everyone seems to be suggesting you need to create seperate accounts for every region?

All you need to do is

1. Log onto https://accounts.nintendo.com/
2. Click "User information" > "Profile"
3. Change region to desired region
4. Open eShop on your Switch and it will have changed to the new region
5. Purchase game

You can swap back to your original region immediately after purchase if you want.

The only thing to note is that it unlinks your NNID as this is set to one region only. But as soon as you change your region on your Nintendo account back to your original region, you can re-link the NNID again.

Why is everyone suggesting the "PSN-style" seperate accounts for every region when you can simply change the region "Xbox-style" and maintain all your digital licenses under a single account?

I should clarify this is under the assumption you are able to pay with your own credit card. I assume if you use prepaid cards off Amazon and don't spend it all then you may lose your wallet balance if you change region? Or is this not the case and it retains it but the balance is tied to each individual region?

I've skimmed through this thread and I don't understand why everyone seems to be suggesting you need to create seperate accounts for every region?

All you need to do is

1. Log onto https://accounts.nintendo.com/
2. Click "User information" > "Profile"
3. Change region to desired region
4. Open eShop on your Switch and it will have changed to the new region
5. Purchase game

You can swap back to your original region immediately after purchase if you want.

The only thing to note is that it unlinks your NNID as this is set to one region only. But as soon as you change your region on your Nintendo account back to your original region, you can re-link the NNID again.

Why is everyone suggesting the "PSN-style" seperate accounts for every region when you can simply change the region "Xbox-style" and maintain all your digital licenses under a single account?

changing account region will kill your current balance for good. some people like to have credits in their wallet balance
edit: yes it even remove your nnid balance if you merged the wallet
https://twitter.com/VOOK64/status/837301114655498240

Top Bottom