• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

If you're using a gmail account you can just add +whatever to your email to make things easier. I have emailaddress+Japan@gmail.com for my Japanese account.

I had to use gmail as hotmail wouldn't authenticate me so this is interesting. Nintendo either understands or doesn't filter plussed addressing so i don't need a new email account for each store? So I could use myemail+JPN at gmail as the JPN nintendo email address and myemail+US at gmail as the US nintendo email address and it all goes back to my one account but is seen as different by nintendo? Handy, thanks.

edit: Yup - From Google help page.
An easy way to sort your email is to add categories after your username.

For example, messages sent to the following aliases will all go to janedoe at gmail.com:

janedoe+school at gmail.com
janedoe+notes at gmail.com
janedoe+important.emails at gmail.com

jiggles

Banned
Ordered a Disgaea code from Amazon and I got a "we need to check this" message. I used my real billing address, but a random JP address for the account "location".

Hope it goes through, I don't want my bank to call me asking to explain it's legit

EDIT: Sweet, straight through. Got a little nervy there when the email and redemption sites were 100% Japanese and I was guess-clicking through it

sadromeo

Like others said, the key for me was, once you add the Japanese address to your account, when you are asked to change your country setting, the pull down for addresses should have the Japanese address you just added.

Once you do this, you should be allowed to make the purchase. Also, you might put in a 'verification' period but this does not last long. They say it can take up to four hours but my orders verified within about ten minutes.

Picked up Disgaea 5 and it has voices and text in English. You can also pick Japanese voices with English text.

Region free Switch is amazing.

Netto-kun

I tried to do this and now my order processing is stuck it has had the spinning circle up for over 2 minutes
Open a new tab, check "Your Account" then go to either "Your order" or "Your game and software library" (shows your code in the ダウンロード番号 part) and check if you order went through or not.

Open a new tab, check "Your Account" then go to either "Your order" or "Your game and software library" (shows your code in the ダウンロード番号 part) and check if you order went through or not.

I checked and it finally went though. Thanks everyone now I don't have to wait a month for puyo puyo tetris!

essenn

Question for those that bought SnipperClips from the Japan eShop

Is the Switch dashboard tile for the game in Japanese or English?

This is pretty cool. Downloading Japanese releases straight to your system sounds is much convenient than importing. Almost guarantees I'll pick up DQH if I pick up the system before the library fills up in fall.

imscore71

Neo Member
Question for those that bought SnipperClips from the Japan eShop

Is the Switch dashboard tile for the game in Japanese or English?

Been both on mine, Japanese while on that account, English while on my main account. Puyo Puyo Tetris remains Japanese however.

Soi-Fong

I'm guessing that if your credit card works in the Eshop from other countries, that since you can "buy" directly from the store, you don't have to keep multiple accounts then since you won't have a balance in the first place. Is this correct? Ideally I want to keep my games all on the same account as well.

Defect

So I accidentally made another US account and signed into my switch but I changed the region on the website and was able to download Japanese demos.

So do I even need a separate Japanese account if I can just change the region on the fly?

I just wrote a simple guide

How to access different Nintendo Switch eshop regions

Step 1
Go to http://accounts.nintendo.com and create a brand new Nintendo account.

The country you select here when creating a Nintendo account will determine the region of the eshop that account can access.

*You need to use a different email address for every different Nintendo account you create.*

Step 2
Create a new user on your Nintendo Switch.

Now link that newly created user to the Nintendo account you just created.

You can now change eshop regions just by selecting a different user account on your Switch.

How to add money to your Nintendo eShop wallet

You can try your own credit/debit cards, even if they are from a different region.
A few people have reported successfully using their credit/debit cards out of region.

Although It seems most people haven't had success using their own cards.
So if your credit/debit cards don't work out of region try:

Amazon.co.jp offers instant yen codes with no marked up prices.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0116SR6MY/
*Must have a valid
or random
Japanese address on your Amazon.co.jp account to order.

Amazon.co.jp also offers codes for some Nintendo Switch games.

Japanese yen cards and codes can only be redeemed on the Japanese eshop.

Amazon.com offers instant USD codes with no marked up prices
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0YDV8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
*Must have a valid
or random
US address on your Amazoon.com account to order.

Amazon.com also offers codes for some Nintendo Switch games.

US $ cards and codes can only be redeemed on the US Nintendo eshop.

Can GAF recommend me a source for instant euro € or pound £ codes to list here? Also preferably with non-marked up prices if possible.

I tried looking at Amazon.co.uk Amazon.fr and Amazon.de and couldn't quickly find any. Maybe I missed them.

Thanks for this.

Quick quesrion:if you delete the user linked to the second foreign account, can you still play the purchased game , or you have to always have that user in the system ?

Lexxism

This is the address I'm trying to use at Amazon JP.

568-9411
Toyama-ken 236-1 tsunekuni,hamamatsu shi
Phone: 0764314111

But I'm still getting this notice that I'm not from Japan and I won't be able to purchase the item.

iphys

568-9411

But I'm still getting this notice that I'm not from Japan and I won't be able to purchase the item.

That's fine, as long as it's in your address book you should be able to continue on past the warning to the next page where it won't let you enter a Japanese address but you can select your Japanese address from the first tab.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
How am I supposed to be able to make a Japanese Amazon account if I can't even read what it says to create an account? =P

I'm sure I just missed this but how do you stop notifications from other regions from coming up in news?

Yeah, I would like to know too

BTW puyo puyo tetris is the best tetris in aaaaages, I'm so buying that digitally when it comes here.

BTW, the rumble on that game is turned up to 11!! I was thinking Zelda's rumble was so faint that I was wondering if my joycons were defective but... oh no

Tadaima

This is one of my favourite things about this Switch so far.

I don't mind playing in Japanese if it's a throwaway game but I'd much rather play in English. Picked up Zelda retail and it automatically defaults to English on my Japanese Switch. Same for Snipperclips/1 2 Switch on the JP store.

Set up another user and linked them to a UK Nintendo account and was able to purchase and play Fast RMX almost as if it had been bought from the same store/account.

Nintendo really went all in with region free.

RobbieNick

Probably a dumb question, but any way to change the Japanese demos into English? Also, is there a way to make the Japanese language in the E-Shop appear in English?

CDX

How am I supposed to be able to make a Japanese Amazon account if I can't even read what it says to create an account? =P

There's a globe on the menu with JP above it. Click it and change language to english.
I quickly screencapped and made this:

3Q10yPyl.png

larger image:

https://i.imgur.com/3Q10yPy.png

I probably lost this detail because I haven't followed the thread in a while, but I need to reconfirm something.

If I have leftover credit on one account, is it wiped when I access the eShop with another.

Meaning if I had 300 yen left over in the eShop accessed by my japanese account, if I try to go into the store on my primary US account, does that yen credit get wiped?

CANLI

568-9411

Make a Tenso address from the Tenso site like I did. :)

CDX

I probably lost this detail because I haven't followed the thread in a while, but I need to reconfirm something.

If I have leftover credit on one account, is it wiped when I access the eShop with another.

Meaning if I had 300 yen left over in the eShop accessed by my japanese account, if I try to go into the store on my primary US account, does that yen credit get wiped?

No, if you access the different eshop regions with different, separate accounts you're fine.

If you have a separate user account for each region on your Switch, nothing gets wiped.

If don't have separate accounts and you just try to change a single account's region, every time you change that account's region it gets wiped to zero.

Nah, they could have just allowed us to switch eShop regions on the fly without creating new accounts.
Nintendo does allow you to change your account's region.
They just make you give up all money left in your wallet every time you change regions.

So if you have a credit card that works in every region, and you can pay the exact amount each time you buy a game, you could probably just keep 1 account.

But, after the different accounts linked to other regions are set up and on the Switch, I personally find it easier to just change regions by selecting a different accounts. It's like the easiest thing after you get it setup. And it's not even hard to create a new account and set it up on your Switch either.

ktroopa

Can i have eshop credit in UK and USA accounts, and buy normally on switch.i mean nothing gets merged when i switch accounts?

Delio

So question how do i get a japanese address to use? I know people said make a random one but im not sure what to even put in.

Top Bottom