• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Expansion Pass priced at $49.99 a year, increasing the price by $30 a year

A monthly option would be fair

• Exactly, you're smart and precious.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • No, you're dumb... bastard!

Votes: 80 72.7%

• Total voters

Vagswarm

So much for the idea that Nintendo might heed all the internet backlash and get rid of this idea (like some other companies have). They turn around and double the price instead! Lmao.

Since I don't care about Nintendo Online, now it's just a matter of seeing if people actually get this.

bender

What time is it?
Was finally able to watch the video so it answered my questions. They could have suckered me into the service with the Animal Crossing DLC had it been a permanent addition. I'll just keep my base level service and buy the DLC separately.

MQS0QPY.gif

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think this is adjusted for inflation tbh. There are >26 million NSO users

I think that the new subscription price is a shocker, but this has more to do with the decreasing acquisitive value of the dollar. Once we start seeing the price increases in other subscriptions, this price will seem cheap.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I’m usually in favor of subscription services but this is expensive as fuck for very little value. And that’s coming from someone who considers the N64 the absolute peak of gaming.

Not sure I'm even close to agree software wise, but the hardware is damn sexy in a classy way.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It’s going to be full of latency. Should’ve remastered those games and had dedicated online if people wanted to play them online
I don't experience latency any worse with Nintendo online games than I do with any other online games. It's been a good experience for me.

ripeavocado

Banned
Nintendo is milking fans again, news at 11.

They are a company that pursuit profits and they are let free to do whatever they want by their core market, what do you expect?

Every company is doing the same if they are able to.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

What's the big deal about a controller? Especially one with a manufactured scarcity as Nintendo is apt to do. I've had a USB N64 controller for like 8 years. I have wireless SNES controllers. You don't need Nintendo to upcharge you to get these things
If anyone wants a bluetooth N64 controller, it's pretty much the only game in town.

coffinbirth

I don't think that makes a difference, to be quite honest. As with any business, what matters is if people buy it. Not if they get defended or attacked by a minority.

From day one, people have been very vocal about NSO negatively. But a lot of people have voted with their wallets and bought the service. So it doesn't matter if it gets criticized or defended. It's gonna keep going for as long as people support it with their money.
That's because most of the big draw games that people were playing online were FREE to play online before Nintendo decided to jump into the subscription game, which is some bait and, ahem...Switch, horseshittery.
There is something so nostalgic and weird at the same time, like an alternate universe seeing Genesis on a Nintendo platform.

I know, I know, they are now third party, but nostalgia wise... it looks wild.
This has been true for about 20 years now, lol.
It’s interesting because I’d like to play N64 games on the Switch but not at 20FPS and 240p. Nostalgia is fun but that shit is ROUGH by todays standards.
They will be at a higher resolution. Super Mario 64 ran at 960x720 in handheld and docked, so it will likely be the same here. FPS is a different story, and I assume that will be based on a game by game basis.

Ezquimacore

Banned
If you think about it, it's less than $5 a month for snes, nes, n64, sega, the dlc and online gaming. The actual problem is not having the monthly option. People don't wanna pay $50 upfront for a service they don't know if they are going to enjoy or what else Nintendo is going to add in the future.
Nintendo Switch online has a $3.99 monthly option, if the expansion pack option had a $5.99-$6.99 monthly option then it would be fair for everyone and not just for Nintendo.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It does send a message. It says half the people are happy/satiated with paying an extra $30.
I think we have to account for their own social media bots too, which they'll surely have as all the companies... BTW right now there's already less dislikes than likes and the dislikes ratio isn't stopping lol

coffinbirth

I think this is adjusted for inflation tbh. There are >26 million NSO users

I think that the new subscription price is a shocker, but this has more to do with the decreasing acquisitive value of the dollar. Once we start seeing the price increases in other subscriptions, this price will seem cheap.
Even if the competitors cost 2x as much it would still seem overpriced simply because Nintendo's online services are an absolute joke in comparison, let alone the value in the other services is orders of magnitude greater as well.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Oh..., They know most people would just pay for a month for additional animal crossing content and cancel. Just like what everyone does with Disney+.

blackjon24

The problem is the selections of games and the inconsistency of the releases. They have done a terrible job with the library of games available for nes and snes. I expect the same for n64.

Gamepass and ps plus are consistently adding games at least monthly. Nintendo online on the other hand is completely random with months of no games and when they do release, it’s not the games the system are really known for.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Oh..., They know most people would just pay for a month for additional animal crossing content and cancel. Just like what everyone does with Disney+.
yeah, they're being extra greedy. Xbox let you pay $1 for your first month of gamepass and then cancel if you want.

bender

What time is it?
To me, the big problem is that Nintendo has shown their output when it comes to adding games to be sub par at best. It went from monthly, to once in a blue moon when SNES games were added. Will it be the same here?

Which is somewhat forgivable considering how inexpensive the service was. I just don't see $30 of additional value here, especially if that previous trend continues. The big question for me is what tier the next Tetris 99 or Pacman 99 gets locked behind.

Ezquimacore

Banned
The problem is the selections of games and the inconsistency of the releases. They have done a terrible job with the library of games available for nes and snes. I expect the same for n64.

Gamepass and ps plus are consistently adding games at least monthly. Nintendo online on the other hand is completely random with months of no games and when they do release, it’s not the games the system are really known for.
you can add that to my problem with no monthly options.

Belthazar

Do they really think the extra N64+Genesis games+ a piece of DLC offer enough value to justify a 150% price hike?

And the worst part? Most of their audience will pay up.

nope I wish they had a 2 year option, i like to set it and forget it... I am genuinely pissed at ps plus- I feel like I have to pay 60 dollars a year just to be able to play online overwatch - I dont give a shit about the dumb free games they offer-

Ezquimacore

Banned
nope I wish they had a 2 year option, i like to set it and forget it... I am genuinely pissed at ps plus- I feel like I have to pay 60 dollars a year just to be able to play online overwatch - I dont give a shit about the dumb free games they offer-
I mean, you can buy 2 years for $40.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Once again, sub services save the day! Now just imagine if Nintendo had said we will flog these games off to you (N64) for $9.99 each. I'd have purchased whichever I like and not have to worry about continuously paying a fee each year to rent these games! Fuck, if I even decide I want to buy the N64 controller, how long will that last me?? How long until the big N decide to close this service down so that every cent you paid is lost to you forever and my N64 controller is just useless? Wake up people- this is the future you seem to want: sub services!!! They look great at the start and seem to give you value but it don't last long... keep paying these companies to rent their games. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Except if they sold these games for 9.99 each, you would just be given a longer rental period. You still don't own them. You ultimately pay more in the long run for less product.
You worry about "how long until [they] close this service down so that every cent you paid is lost to you forever" - and that is a fear for ANY digital store front. Subscription or not. This is why we need to keep pushing for physical releases and physical re-release compilations. To allow us to play these games physically in a near permanent status.

As for the N64 controller, now you are just being silly (or trying to come up with silly console war bullshit). I still have controllers from freakin' Atari that work fine. Controllers dying is not an issue and any controller is eventually made usable on PC and other platforms thanks to converters.

TexMex

Honestly I think the fact that the initial service was so dirt cheap is responsible for the reaction more than anything. ~4 bucks a month is still pretty cheap and if we weren’t able to look at it in comparison to the original membership price I don’t think too many people bat an eye at 50 bucks a year.

Flintty

That’s a bit fucking steep. I’d rather plug in my old Megadrive and SNES, and maybe pick up a N64. And I’ll do just that when my man cave is finished.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
However, you are conflating subjective opinions with facts as stated with the Zelda, GoW/TLOU example. If Nintendo was treating their customers like "lemmings", then they would have made this a mandatory upgrade. They didn't. Its optional. You don't have to buy it and you miss out on nothing. Nothing changes.
Oh, my bad. That's because your Zelda, GoW/TLOU comparison was shit and it actually makes my point about Nintendo putting out high-priced slop while fanboys defend their greedy business practices.

Skyward Sword is a 10-year old game that got remastered with an improved resolution/frame rate, basic QoL changes, and slightly improved textures for full price at $60. Not a great value, especially when emulated versions look better.

The Last of Us Remastered was an early next-gen remaster of a one-year-old game that was still hugely popular/selling well and included next-gen performance/visual upgrades, multiplayer, and a next-gen version of the $15 DLC. It released for $40 instead of a full-priced $60.

Gears of War Ultimate was a remake of an 8-year-old game that also featured impressive (at the time) next-gen visual and performance upgrades, a new UE4 engine, and multiplayer. It also released for $40.

But, no, continue to educate me on the incredible value of Nintendo's half-assed/minimum-effort yet full-priced "remaster" of Skyward Sword.

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo should have just announced the discontinuation of the existing service for new memberships, offered an upgrade path and forced new memberships into a $35.00-$40.00 tier. Multiple tiers is silly as is the price point. $50.00 is close to what the competition charges without as robust of a feature set and that's before shopping them (PS+ is often gettable for under $30).

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh, my bad. That's because your Zelda, GoW/TLOU comparison was shit and it actually makes my point about Nintendo putting out high-priced slop while fanboys defend their greedy business practices.

Skyward Sword is a 10-year old game that got remastered with an improved resolution/frame rate, basic QoL changes, and slightly improved textures for full price at $60. Not a great value, especially when emulated versions look better.

The Last of Us Remastered was an early next-gen remaster of a one-year-old game that was still hugely popular/selling well and included next-gen performance/visual upgrades, multiplayer, and a next-gen version of the $15 DLC. It released for $40 instead of a full-priced $60.

Gears of War Ultimate was a remake of an 8-year-old game that also featured impressive (at the time) next-gen visual and performance upgrades, a new UE4 engine, and multiplayer. It also released for $40.

But, no, continue to educate me on the incredible value of Nintendo's half-assed/minimum-effort yet full-priced "remaster" of Skyward Sword.

So, Skyward Sword got Improved Resolution/Frame Rate, textures, and Quality of Life Features for a 10 year old game that was two console generations old. Released for 59.99 USD (or 49.99 USD at any Wal-Mart). You feel this is a waste of money and half assed.

The Last of Us got a Resolution/Frame Rate bump and nothing else, released at 40 USD a year after its original PS3 release. This is a good deal to you. When you could have easily picked up the last gen version for less than 10 dollars at that point (which I know, as that is what I did, and it wasn't a limited sale at the time either. That was its going price at any Gamestop, Wal-Mart, or Target).

Gears of War Ultimate, a remaster with updated models, textures, framerate, and resolution, got released 8 years after the original. On a platform that could freely play the original (which was often less than 1-2 dollars at any used game shop). This is a good deal and not a waste to you.

Literally everything you are criticizing Skyward Sword for can easily be lobbied against the other two titles like I just did. Which is entirely my point. Its completely subjective and not a "fact", like your pitiful console war attempt has tried to do (blatantly, I might add). You claim Nintendo is releasing high priced slop, but freely defend the same exact tactics used by other companies.

You are the very person you are railing against. Look in the mirror and stop projecting your own failings onto others.

Last edited:

Klayzer

This is why companies love subscription services. It's much easier to exploit gullible people.

It's strange how so many Americans find themselves in money trouble after having so many monthly fees, many they've forgotten they're paying for in the first place. Math tells me that "Nothing" multiplied by 50 is still Nothing. Yet, for some reason, it doesn't work out that way. Strange.
Companies thrive on that type of apathy towards their overpriced online services.

Top Bottom