• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirap

Has anyone elses joycons starting sliding off without needing to press the button?
It requires some light force, but i'm worried about it now.

Defiantly an issue with the cons, since its happening with the gamepad holder aswell.

Mine feels a lot looser than the newest pair of Neons I bought, but the locking mechanism still prevents it from sliding out. iirc Giantbomb's review unit had that problem after a drop.

I know battery life is not good across the board, but mine seems worse than usual. In less than an hour of playing Zelda, I went from 100% to 28%. Do I have a problem?

One more physical added to the collection! Loving MK8D so far, can't wait to play online with people. My fiance wasn't a fan of vanilla MK8 soley because of the Battle mode aha.
RYmTQGl.jpg

sirap

I know battery life is not good across the board, but mine seems worse than usual. In less than an hour of playing Zelda, I went from 100% to 28%. Do I have a problem?

Are you playing at max brightness? That drains the battery quite a bit faster in my experience.

Of course there's also the chance that your switch is misreporting the battery's charge.

Are you playing at max brightness? That drains the battery quite a bit faster in my experience.

Of course there's also the chance that your switch is misreporting the battery's charge.
I don't actually know, I have it on auto-brightness and was playing in a bright room. That could be part of it. Wi-Fi was also on but not doing anything.

I always immediately turn my Switch completely off after taking it out of the dock so it doesn't accidentally unlock in my bag, so I know it was definitely fully charged.

Neoweee

The difference with MK8D will depend on if you had the two DLC packs and if you enjoy battle mode from the past games. Here is a list of added features in MK8D:

Edit: Thanks to marc^o^ and sixteen-bit for mentioning additional changes.

Did they add any sound mixing or control scheme options?

Just called my local Gamestop and they were able to request that another store send them a pair of blue JoyCon! I've been looking for those buggers all over and I'm happy to have finally found them!

I wanted a pair so that I can swap out my gray ones every now and then. I also need to send those in for repair as my left JoyCon has that poor signal issue. Didn't wanna do that without having a way to continue playing my Switch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The difference with MK8D will depend on if you had the two DLC packs and if you enjoy battle mode from the past games. Here is a list of added features in MK8D:
When put like that, the Deluxe version deserves its name.

Does nintendo sell joycons in strictly red or blue for both L/R? Or is it only the red/blue color scheme together. Really like the blue, but I would rather have a solid color as opposed to one on each side.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nothing says love like buying your kids' affection!

I kid, I know you only bought it for yourself under the pretence of getting it for your kids, no way the wife is going to see through that one.

Seriously though, getting a new console/computer from your parents as a kid is one of those memories that'll stick.

I still have the receipt from 1986 when my dad bought me an Amiga 500 for Christmas. Best Christmas ever

Machina

Banned
I've decided to go digital for this one. Gotta put that memory card to good use. Looking forward to seeing how the loading times go.

Does Mario Kart 8 have any kind of download play (like on Nintendo DS)? THAT would be a killer feature for me!

It does not. That being said, Switch supports multiple people playing on the same console in various form factors. Download play was a solution to a problem that Switch does not face.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
So all the tracks and characters in MK8D are unlocked from the start? I've never played the game before and enjoy unlocking stuff, is there anyway to play it so you have to unlock everything like in the original?

One more physical added to the collection! Loving MK8D so far, can't wait to play online with people. My fiance wasn't a fan of vanilla MK8 soley because of the Battle mode aha.
RYmTQGl.jpg

This really puts things into perspective, Bomberman, Zelda, Isaac and MK8. I haven't seen this kind of launch in a long time.

Mine feels a lot looser than the newest pair of Neons I bought, but the locking mechanism still prevents it from sliding out. iirc Giantbomb's review unit had that problem after a drop.

mm i did not drop mine, its protected like a new born baby ):
Sliding them up just seems to push the button inwards now, hopefully this doesn't end up as some widespread issue, but its possible since i've spoke to irl friends who have said theres have also become looser.

feel

Quick question, is it normal that I had to set my screen size to 97% on the settings for TV Mode for the corners to fit perfectly? Or are the size/picture settings for the input on the tv somewhat wrong? Normally with other consoles or in games it just fits nice by default.

EDIT- Just figured it out, the input on the TV had an "Auto Display Area" setting turned on that wasn't working properly in this case.

Unrelated, managed to get rid of all the japanese news in my feed (it was bothering me) by going into Maintenance Mode and doing the "Initialize Without Deleting Save Data" thing. Had to redownload Snipperclips and the Zelda patch but it was no biggie.

TheFuzz

Question for everyone: do the joycons use some battery while undocked but even if the console is off?

I always keep my Switch off (not in sleep). Took it off the dock this morning and kept it off, well at 9 tonight (about 13 hours later), I turned it on and it was at 96%.

Is that normal? I'm not sure if the joycons use some of the charge or if they're even charging while I have the entire system off. Would keeping it in sleep mode keep everything charging or does it even matter?

PLEASE HELP GAF!

Majine

Banned
Did your usage of Switch change over what you expected?

I find myself playing in handheld mode 96% of the time, mainly because the screen is alot better than I expected and the whole thing is more comfortable than the 3DS ever was.

Tabletop Mode is awkward and I never use it. The angle of the kickstand was useless on a plane.

NateDrake

RYmTQGl.jpg

I so wish my copy of MK8D was physical for that awesome box art. Good racing earlier today!

TheFuzz

Question for everyone: do the joycons use some battery while undocked but even if the console is off?

I always keep my Switch off (not in sleep). Took it off the dock this morning and kept it off, well at 9 tonight (about 13 hours later), I turned it on and it was at 96%.

Is that normal? I'm not sure if the joycons use some of the charge or if they're even charging while I have the entire system off. Would keeping it in sleep mode keep everything charging or does it even matter?

PLEASE HELP GAF!

Quoting again, because apparently undocked and in sleep mode it uses about 2-3% every 8 hours. Even if off, is it possible the joycons are using some of that? I'm no battery expert at all, so if a 3-4% drop when off and undocked is silly to even worry about, I'd love for someone with knowledge to tell me so.

I guess it's also a question for others, could the OS be displaying it wrong? I've never completely ran my battery down.

In US? $65 on Amazon I think is the only place. Not sure if only in JP or how to get english cover. I am kind of wanting a copy too.

$65???

Man, I thought $50 was steep for the English cover. Glad I took the plunge when I did, I think my copy should be arriving sometime next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom