• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

This is my library so far. Soo into Voez and a lot of the Neo Geo games in general. lol Still need to finish Zelda as well. lol

I'm really waiting for Arms and Splatoon 2 and will get USF2. Will prolly skip on Mario Kart since I'm not really a big fan of the series.

BKsc.jpg

bumpkin

This is my library so far. Soo into Voez and a lot of the Neo Geo games in general. lol Still need to finish Zelda as well. lol

I'm really waiting for Arms and Splatoon 2 and will get USF2. Will prolly skip on Mario Kart since I'm not really a big fan of the series.

BKsc.jpg
Nice library! Mine feels tiny by comparison. All I have on my home screen at the moment:

Zelda: BOTW
Super Bomberman R
1-2-Switch
LEGO City Undercover
Snipperclips
Snake Pass
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Splatoon 2 Testfire
Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo

I haven't really bit on many of the digital titles, if only because I already own a bunch of them (like the Neo Geo ports) on other platforms. Not much incentive to double dip.

ASIS

Did your usage of Switch change over what you expected?

I find myself playing in handheld mode 96% of the time, mainly because the screen is alot better than I expected and the whole thing is more comfortable than the 3DS ever was.

Tabletop Mode is awkward and I never use it. The angle of the kickstand was useless on a plane.
Well since I beat Zelda I'm not getting much mileage out of my Switch. But I've been using handheld and Tabletop modes far more than I expected. Mario Kart will really change things up. I didn't play any of the DLC stages since I thought what was already on the disc is enough, but now with battle mode + new courses + portability... yeah this edition will breathe new life into the game.

Puyo puyo Tetris was also much more fun than I expected. So I'll get that too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It feels like there is going to be such a long wait for the next big/long single player game on Switch. I'm still slowly playing Zelda and I kind of avoid finishing it because of that.

I will go in a long holiday in a bit more than 2 weeks and I have a number of long flights and I'm just afraid I will have nothing to play during those.

I almost regret playing 100% of LCU on Wii U.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I'm starting to notice issues when playing Zelda of my D-Pad on my pro controller misinterpreting some inputs. I'll press left, but if I hit it at an angle that's too upwards, it'll mistake it as an 'up' input. Add that to both my left joycons having issues, this is pretty frustrating. Any idea what kind of turnaround I can expect on getting these repaired?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So I'm starting to notice issues when playing Zelda of my D-Pad on my pro controller misinterpreting some inputs. I'll press left, but if I hit it at an angle that's too upwards, it'll mistake it as an 'up' input. Add that to both my left joycons having issues, this is pretty frustrating. Any idea what kind of turnaround I can expect on getting these repaired?

Well I sent in my left joy con on the 10th April, it arrived on the 12th, and only yesterday (19th) did I get an email saying they had received it and would have a look at it "shortly". To be fair, the 14th + 17th were holidays here in the UK but still it took them 3 working days to acknowledge they had my joy con. I was told by customer service that it can take 3-5 days to process a delivery and then another 3-7 day turnaround from when they confirm they have got it to dispatching it.

I probably won't get my joy con back until well into next week.

Malakai

I just received my Hori slim hard pouch for the Switch. I wanted to see if I could find the slimmest hard case available for the Switch. I think this is it! It's a hell of a lot more portable than my Zelda case.

There's no room for any games of accessories though, so it's not for everyone. I'm planning to go mostly digital so that's no drama to me. The case even protects the joysticks from moving as well as makes proper room for the joycons and shoulder buttons.

I've put a few more pics into an imgur gallery

Really nice case so far. I found it on Amazon.

What country? Not pulling anything up in the U.S. right now.

AGoodODST

I just picked up a Pro Controller and holy shit. This thing feels so good and this is coming from someone that thinks the Joy Con grip feels awesome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wasn't aware of the MK8 release date. Seeing that picture got me CRAZY excited for my flight on Saturday, but alas - I must wait.

Question for everyone: do the joycons use some battery while undocked but even if the console is off?

I always keep my Switch off (not in sleep). Took it off the dock this morning and kept it off, well at 9 tonight (about 13 hours later), I turned it on and it was at 96%.

Is that normal? I'm not sure if the joycons use some of the charge or if they're even charging while I have the entire system off. Would keeping it in sleep mode keep everything charging or does it even matter?

PLEASE HELP GAF!

Hm... Honestly don't know what to tell you about that one. I seem to remember an article saying that the Joycon charge themselves while attached to the switch whether it's docked or undocked. Do you normally play with them detached?

Reached back in my entertainment center to grab a cable and knocked my switch dock over. It just fell on its back and now the left joycon slides up and down the rail a little bit. I put another joycon on and it does the same thing. I can't believe that little fall caused the left rail to loosen up like that. I mostly play in docked and table top mode so it's not a huge deal but disappointed at how fragile the rail system is.

Iced

Got an Orzly case yesterday. It's uhhhh....it's okay, but holy shit is there a lot of travel room for the Switch, so much so that I'm not comfortable keeping it. Requested a return on Amazon and was given a full refund without need to return this morning, so that's a plus!

I just want a case that provides good protection and fits the Switch snuggly (would prefer something slim as well since I'm really only going to store the Switch in it and nothing else). So far I've tried an RDS case (although I believe the one I received was defective; I posted about it in this thread) and the Orzly case and neither fit the bill. Butterfox next?

Aiii

So not worth it
Got an Orzly case yesterday. It's uhhhh....it's okay, but holy shit is there a lot of travel room for the Switch, so much so that I'm not comfortable keeping it. Requested a return on Amazon and was given a full refund without need to return this morning, so that's a plus!

I just want a case that provides good protection and fits the Switch snuggly (would prefer something slim as well since I'm really only going to store the Switch in it and nothing else). So far I've tried an RDS case (although I believe the one I received was defective; I posted about it in this thread) and the Orzly case and neither fit the bill. Butterfox next?

9200000073687012.jpg

Not sure if this is the case you bought, but this one is great.

Iced

9200000073687012.jpg

Not sure if this is the case you bought, but this one is great.

Yeah, that's the first one I had. I bought it off Nintendo's Canada store. It arrived with a crooked zipper which I thought was odd, and then when I placed the console in the case there was a lot of wiggle room. Everything I've read about that case online says it should fit very snug, so I think mine was a defect. I LOVED the look and feel of the case, so it sucks I had to return it.

I know it's improbable that I'm the only one who feels this way but can confidently say I vastly prefer the ergonomics, overall, of the Joy-Con over the Pro-controller. The only thing, again for me, that the pro controller has over the joycon is the placement of the select button on the left controller. Pressing that minus button is a pain in the ass.

Iced

I know it's improbable that I'm the only one who feels this way but can confidently say I vastly prefer the ergonomics, overall, of the Joy-Con over the Pro-controller. The only thing, again for me, that the pro controller has over the joycon is the placement of the select button on the left controller. Pressing that minus button is a pain in the ass.

I haven't had any desire to pick up a pro controller myself. My preferred way of playing is with a joy-con in each hand (without the grip). It's so damn comfortable while playing on my couch. Getting a pro controller would take that away from me.

I've only really played Zelda so far, so the real test for me is going to be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. For some reason I don't think it's going to feel right playing that game without a more "traditional" controller, so I'm gonna bust out the grip for it and see how that goes. I don't expect it will be an issue.

I haven't had any desire to pick up a pro controller myself. My preferred way of playing is with a joy-con in each hand (without the grip). It's so damn comfortable while playing on my couch. Getting a pro controller would take that away from me.

I've only really played Zelda so far, so the real test for me is going to be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. For some reason I don't think it's going to feel right playing that game without a more "traditional" controller, so I'm gonna bust out the grip for it and see how that goes. I don't expect it will be an issue.

Yes, agreed on Mario Kart 8. I'm also curious to see if the extended battery packs for the joy cons can help with any grip issues, if any, for that game.

BizzyBum

I'm sure people with small hands agree. ;)

Playing with the joycons hurt my hands and thumbs after awhile. The Pro is just bliss.

Peltz

I would say both are good. Pro controller feels a bit more luxurious though with its D-Pad and bigger sticks/face buttons. Yet I have no issues using the grip. It's perfectly ergonomic in its own way.

RootCause

I used the pro controller the first couple of days. I actually prefer the j-cons. :p

Received my 128GB card. Do I drag the patch/screenshot folders into the new card , and replace it?

I would say both are good. Pro controller feels a bit more luxurious though with its D-Pad and bigger sticks/face buttons. Yet I have no issues using the grip. It's perfectly ergonomic in its own way.

I agree with this and am not taking anything away from Pro (the most comfortable, imho, of the controllers of its kind). I should have clarified to say that, for me, owning both a pair of joy cons and a pro controller is redundant thus far.

Iced

I'm receiving a set of blue and red joy-cons today from Amazon today. They just came in stock yesterday, so there's a chance the desync issue has been resolved on them.

I have conductive foam lying around, and it's not difficult to place it into the joy-cons (I've done it twice now). Should I put the foam in anyway, just to be safe? Is there any chance I can actually degrade performance by doing it, particularly to a controller that isn't showing any immediate desync symptoms? And before anyone says "why bother if it's working fine?", I've had friends who had no issues for weeks before their controllers finally started having desync issues.

I'm receiving a set of blue and red joy-cons today from Amazon today. They just came in stock yesterday, so there's a chance the desync issue has been resolved on them.

I have conductive foam lying around, and it's not difficult to place it into the joy-cons (I've done it twice now). Should I put the foam in anyway, just to be safe? Is there any chance I can actually degrade performance by doing it, particularly to a controller that isn't showing any immediate desync symptoms? And before anyone says "why bother if it's working fine?", I've had friends who had no issues for weeks before their controllers finally started having desync issues.

Here's the problem. If you mess with it, and it doesn't solve anything, and the symptoms do eventually show up despite your attempts to prevent them from doing so, Nintendo will not cover the warranty on their end.

I am pretty sure old joy con stock have since been removed and replaced and think you will be fine.

FinalAres

Also

Don't hurt me everyone...

Okay? No one's going to hurt anyone?

So....*edges behind a conveniently placed boulder*

........I like the non-d-pad better than traditional d-pads too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom