• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My console locked up for the first time yesterday when I tried to boot up 1, 2, Switch after it prompted me to close Snipperclips. I thought at first it was just a initial long first load but that wasn't the case.

Blues1990

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

I haven't had a chance to use it for home console gaming yet, only because my glass screen protector hasn't come in the mail. It's a brilliant portable device, and I love how fast the OS is.

0racle

Sorry guys, new page.

I'm at the mall so looking for some answers.

Best case ? Any official ones ?

Do all screen protectors peel when docked?

TheJoRu

Really enjoying my Switch so far, it's been working great. No connectivity issues with the Joy-Con, and my dock appears to be quite straight. Only thing bugging me is that the analog stick on the right controller is a little bit (enough to be noticeable) looser than the left. It's not really "loose" to that degree that it poses a problem, it's just the minor difference between the two that bothers me.

Will probably forget about it/get used to it with time, though, so it's not a huge deal.

vgamer1

My dock is definitely pretty bent, there's really not much (if any) wiggle room. I'll double check when I get home from work. Tried to do a little stretching with a book last night, gonna widen it a bit tonight when I try.

ColdPizza

Banned
My dock is definitely pretty bent, there's really not much (if any) wiggle room. I'll double check when I get home from work. Tried to do a little stretching with a book last night, gonna widen it a bit tonight when I try.

I'm interested to see if this will work.

Truant

Got on the norwegian version of Craigslist, found a guy 3 minutes from my house selling his Switch brand new.

Guess I have a Switch now!

MikeBison

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

I'm in a fortunate position of being able to get a decent amount of game time in whilst I'm at work (I own a tattoo studio and have a room out the back to chill in)

So I'm playing at home on my tv, then before bed I throw it in my bag and pull it out at work the next day. It's incredible playing Zelda at work like this! Then I grabbed a colleague and used tabletop mode to play some 2 player snipperclips, works brilliantly! Can't wait for Mario Kart and Smash!

Then I get home and back in the dock it goes. So yeah, fully using th hybrid capabilities of the Switch and loving it. Before, the closest I got was PS4 at home and Vita at work.

About 50/50. Today i've had a day off with the fiance at work so played it in docked mode all day, however the weekend i've used handheld mode so she can watch what she wants and I can keep on playing Zelda.

Its the perfect console for me in this regard

Shaii

I know people have been complaining about the price of the pro-controller, and I was lucky enough to pick mine up for 65€, but god damn does that thing feel premium.

I just received mine. The included USB-C cable is an added bonus as well.

I'm genuinely surprised since my expectations we're pretty low from reading GAF

Chucker

Don't have my switch yet, but am just looking at what I have around the house for a little extra storage to start with.

I've got a samsung evo C10 UHS MicroSD card in 32 and 64g variety.
Those should work fine, yeah?

ColdPizza

Banned

Funny you ask. I treat it as a home console and a situation already came up this weekend where my wife wanted to watch something on TV, and it dawned on me I could hand over the TV and continue playing handheld. It's brilliant.

I think this will be the norm until they fix battery issues. 80% home console, 20% portable.

About 50/50. Today i've had a day off with the fiance at work so played it in docked mode all day, however the weekend i've used handheld mode so she can watch what she wants and I can keep on playing Zelda.

See, THIS is why I got a Wii U. The reality was I could only play in the room that the Wii U console was in, and even then, I had to be sitting close.

Also I put the Switch side by side with my Wii U.... man that U is ugly AF...!

ColdPizza

Banned

Not sure there is a best. Just get one that suits your style and needs. I personally think this one appeals to me the most:

71-7OqM8cGL._SL1500_.jpg

Can't answer your question about screen protectors but I did order a 3rd party tempered glass.

Rezbit

Yeah I've been doing this as well. It's a great "home portable" for me.

Kudo

There's official case that comes with screen protector.
If you give it some time before long docking session the peeling shouldn't be a problem on that one from what I've read, only the Hori Premium has that as big problem.

Popping in here to say that I'm absolutely in love with the Switch! Leading up to and during the launch, I was becoming a bit worried due to reports of various problems like JoyCon issues, screen scratching, friend codes, etc...

After a few days with the Switch, I feel that I can safely say this is my new favorite piece of gaming hardware. It looks sleek, was almost effortless to set up, and the various configurations have made playing Zelda a joy.

I found myself playing Zelda during the day in portable/tabletop mode while my wife binge-watched a new TV show. Tabletop mode ended up being my favorite configuration for off-TV play whilst on the couch. Outside of that, I found myself picking up the Switch in portable mode for a few quick minutes of Zelda whenever I had the chance. The Switch is so darn fast when it comes to just picking it up and resuming play that I couldn't resist the urge to squeeze in more Zelda time wherever I could!

The configuration I've spent the least amount of time with is "docked" mode. I made a compromise with my wife that she could watch whatever shows she wanted this weekend if I could play Zelda. That being said, when I did end up docking the Switch it worked great! I would plug it into the dock, wait a few seconds for my TV to automatically power on and Switch inputs, and I was ready to go! I honestly want to play literally everything that I can on Switch now.

Funny you ask. I treat it as a home console and a situation already came up this weekend where my wife wanted to watch something on TV, and it dawned on me I could hand over the TV and continue playing handheld. It's brilliant.

I think this will be the norm until they fix battery issues. 80% home console, 20% portable.

Meanwhile for another perspective I am the opposite, I take a commuter rail train to work everyday for about an hour each way. I play the switch on my commute and I have found myself playing in portable mode at home, only docking it once or twice this weekend.

Interfectum

Downloaded the demo of Snipperclips in bed last night. Tossed my wife a joycon, propped up the screen with my legs and said, lets play. Worked great. I felt like I was in a Nintendo commercial.

Using a single JoyCon as a controller doesn't seem near as bad as some were saying. It's small and I have pretty big hands but it was totally usable and not distracting to the game.

centracore

It looks my Switch is starting to slightly bulge by the power / volume buttons.. I looked up the iFixit teardown and sure enough that's where the battery is. Should I be worried?

It's been a weekend and thought I would share my thoughts.

My use is docked. I have a nice 65 inch tv and great headphones that I run through a dac and amp.

Let's start with the positives:

+ OS is very quick
+ Tablet is cool even if it's kind of generic looking. The gray they've used isn't great.
+ Pulling the Switch off the dock and having it immediately change to the screen is very cool.
+ Art style helps Zelda look great even on a 65 inch 4K TV.
+ Zelda is amazing
+ Zelda looks and runs great in tablet mode
+ Pro controller is so much better than I thought it would be.

Now the not so great stuff:

- OS is so bare bones that it's literally empty boxes after the initial setup.
- No Virtual Console
- No achievements
- 32gb built in storage in 2017 for a console is ridiculous.
- OS does not output at 1080 in docked mode.
- No Headphone input on joy cons, or grip, or pro controller
- No Bluetooth audio
- No optical output on dock
- Joy cons are just too small to play with comfortably.
- Joy con grip is a joke with awful ergonomics and the lack of a usb port for charging is a $30 slap in the face.
- Kickstand was designed by idiots
- SD card location
- No way to transfer saves or an online cloud backup
- No Apps
- Dock isn't great.
- Zelda framerate in docked mode is not acceptable in 2017.
- Docked mode proves how lacking this hardware is in 2017 compared to other consoles.

I don't mind being an early adopter, but this things needs a revision. I'm not going to be happy when version 2.0 is out and fixes all these things, but that's what you get for jumping in on day one.

What I don't like seeing are the people suggesting that these problems should be remedied by throwing more money at them.

- Buy an sd card
- Buy a screen protector
- Buy the pro controller
- Buy the charging grip that doesn't actually charge the joy cons unless it's plugged in.
- Buy Bomberman for $50

Even if this thing wasn't rushed to market, it feels like it was. There are so many features missing. Not some next gen incredible functionality. Old standard functionality that has existed for years.

Saying "oh, it's Nintendo. They never have that stuff ready at launch", is bullshit for mindless children.

They expect people to pay for online in 2017? They better be able to compete with Xbox Live and PSN.

Don't want to jinx it but so far my Switch experience has been flawless. No problems with the joy-cons, and since I put a screen protector immediately, no scratches either.

Wifi works great, and with a cheapo $12 USB-Ethernet adapter I get amazing speeds with wired connection.

Zelda is fucking unreal. Snipperclips has been a blast with co-op play. Fast RMX is even better than it was back on the Wii U.

Brought my Switch to work, excited to play it on my lunch break.

It's been an amazing launch for me, I really love this thing so far.

Pygrus

I don't think I will be able to properly judge the console until I'm done with Zelda.

I love the switch so far, but Zelda is really the main reason why I am loving it.

Meanwhile for another perspective I am the opposite, I take a commuter rail train to work everyday for about an hour each way. I play the switch on my commute and I have found myself playing in portable mode at home, only docking it once or twice this weekend.

I have two kids one TV which has a pretty complex AV setup (HDMI switcher, 5.1, harmony remote macros etc) and I literally haven't unpacked the dock yet and I've spent about 3 hours playing demos. I can already see how this is the console that is going to get me back into gaming probably 10% docked 90% portable.

neilyadig

Loving it so far.

One issue: my ZR button on the right joycon has a bit of initial travel/wobble before the click. The ZL button has a much firmer/clicky feel. I think I might need to buy a right joycon and swap it out?

Jon

Some impressions:

- Played about 8 hours of Zelda, 1 hour of 1,2 Switch and 1 hour of Snipperclips thus far. The joycons are still on their first battery charge from when I plugged in the system on Friday.

- Downloading Snipperclips took about 5 minutes and it completed and installed in the background while I was playing Zelda.

- The Joycon grip is very comfortable to me, so comfortable that I haven't opened my pro-controller and am considering returning it. I think I will keep it just in case for Mario Kart down the line.

- I have not had a single issue with drops with the joycons, and no issues docking or undocking the unit.

Maybe I am in the minority with this, but I just wanted to post to show people still on the fence that yes, there are people out there for whom everything works as expected and perhaps, better than expected.

mstevens

Could someone check to see if they can see copper colored wire or something in the air vent (at the back, flush with the back of the console). Didn't notice it until last night after it heated up for a bit.

mstevens

Great thanks. I stupidly covered the console in the dock with a cloth because I'm trying to keep dust off until my screen protector gets here. It of course got really hot and the fan was blowing hard. Just making sure I didn't mess something up.

Peltz

I love the hardware all around. But I do agree that a Pro Controller is a must. Although I found the grip to be serviceable, to me, Pro Controller is the best controller out right now.

I will likely only use the joycons in portable mode including for multiplayer on the go. But I would probably opt for two Pro controllers when doing multiplayer at home rather than two sets of joycons.

The Joycons are really cool and I love their look and feel (and how tiny they are!) but they aren't suited as well for long immersive sessions with Zelda as the Pro Controller.

I also really think the Switch outputs amazing graphics when docked. Zelda at 900p looks brilliant, and Fast Racing RMX at 1080p is also pretty fantastic. Even though I also have a PS4, I do think these graphics are as good as they need to be and fit in nicely with the other current gen consoles.

linkboy

I love the hardware all around. But I do agree that a Pro Controller is a must. Although I found the grip to be serviceable, to me, Pro Controller is the best controller out right now.

I agree. I bought a second Pr Controller at Best Buy (have one coming from Amazon Japan) figuring I could use it as a PC controller (which I fully intend to). Just from the brief time I've used it, it's one of my all time favorite controllers.

Strakt

I haven't owned a nintendo since N64.. playing Zelda has been a blast.. and I can't wait for Mario Kart 8 to come out. That game seems like it did really well on the Wii U. Hopefully super smash bros comes out on the switch as well!

Richie

Anyone else puzzled that no official statement has been released on the system's sales today so far? (Aside from the UK where the industry's performance as a whole is reported).

TheFuzz

I know people have been complaining about the price of the pro-controller, and I was lucky enough to pick mine up for 65€, but god damn does that thing feel premium.

I just received mine. The included USB-C cable is an added bonus as well.

I'm genuinely surprised since my expectations we're pretty low from reading GAF

I agree. I bought a second Pr Controller at Best Buy (have one coming from Amazon Japan) figuring I could use it as a PC controller (which I fully intend to). Just from the brief time I've used it, it's one of my all time favorite controllers.

The Pro controller is absolute GOAT for me now. Hours of Zelda with it this weekend and it's way better than even my PS4 Controller. It's expensive but it's well worth it.

Cyanity

Banned

I will likely only use the joycons in portable mode including for multiplayer on the go. But I would probably opt for two Pro controllers when doing multiplayer at home rather than two sets of joycons.

The Joycons are really cool and I love their look and feel (and how tiny they are!) but they aren't suited as well for long immersive sessions with Zelda as the Pro Controller.

I also really think the Switch outputs amazing graphics when docked. Zelda at 900p looks brilliant, and Fast Racing RMX at 1080p is also pretty fantastic. Even though I also have a PS4, I do think these graphics are as good as they need to be and fit in nicely with the other current gen consoles.

Maybe it's just because I have small hands, but the joycon grip has been great for long Zelda sessions so far.

kromeo

I haven't owned a nintendo since N64.. playing Zelda has been a blast.. and I can't wait for Mario Kart 8 to come out. That game seems like it did really well on the Wii U. Hopefully super smash bros comes out on the switch as well!

There's 0% chance of Smash Bros not coming out on Switch. Unless they're making a new one instead which I doubt

AGoodODST

Is there a way to enable single joy con play from the home screen?

I prefer to play Bomberman that way but it's a bit annoying having to go into battle mode just to select horizontal play mode.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Today I learned that the Switch when turned off (not sleep mode) doesn't charge the Joycon, even if docked. I just assumed it would for some reason, but nope, seems like it's really completely dead in that state. Sleep mode it is from now on. Wait, that does charge them, right? SURELY the Switch doesn't have to be turned on?

I love the joycons but man that pro controller is probably the best controller ever made (possibly second to the XBOne Elite controller, but that's more than double the cost).

Zedark

Could someone check to see if they can see copper colored wire or something in the air vent (at the back, flush with the back of the console). Didn't notice it until last night after it heated up for a bit.
That's perfectly normal, it's the outer end of the heat pipe I believe. I can see it on my system as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom