• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm411

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

So for me, I've always looked at the Switch as a handheld first that I can occasionally play on my TV if need be..and I like having that option.

I've played in nothing but handheld mode so far and am loving every second...I think it works extremely well as a handheld. I've also used my Pro controller with it while in handheld mode and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed that as well. BotW is amazing in handheld mode and I can't wait to see how MK, Splatoon, etc. look as well.

The thing I love most about the Switch so far is just the versatility and options it provides...even though it'll almost always be a handheld for me, I love knowing that I have options outside of that and can play it on a TV if I want.

Vidiot

So can someone recommend me a good portable battery for the switch? Preferably something tested with good results, thanks!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyone else puzzled that no official statement has been released on the system's sales today so far? (Aside from the UK where the industry's performance as a whole is reported).

It's rather unusual, yes. Although I don't think there was one for Wii U either. Maybe NoA will communicate something later.

The Switch is everything I was hoping the Wii U would've been. The convenience of playing this thing undocked with an excellent framerate is exactly what I was hoping for, and well worth the money spent. Now I just need a case.

If I did have a negative, it's that the Joy-Con controllers feels way too small in my hands.

Today I learned that the Switch when turned off (not sleep mode) doesn't charge the Joycon, even if docked. I just assumed it would for some reason, but nope, seems like it's really completely dead in that state. Sleep mode it is from now on. Wait, that does charge them, right? SURELY the Switch doesn't have to be turned on?

Sleep mode charges them. In sleep mode, the console still continues any downloads you had in progress as well, so it's not really sleeping in any case.

Zedark

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)
In my opinion it absolutely is a hybrid system and feels the part too. I have played a large amount of Zelda in undocked mode, either because I was away from house/unable to use the tv or because I just felt like lying on the couch and playing games. Outside of that, I have docked the Switch for a decent amount of time as well, as the colours Zelda presents on the TV are a distinct step up from the handheld version (which looks really good too), and the conrrols are a bit easier in docked mode (though I have successfully done boss-like battles in handheld mode as well). I think I have a 2/3 vs. 1/3 split between handheld and docked respectively atm, and both modes feel good to me.

Sleep mode charges them. In sleep mode, the console still continues any downloads you had in progress as well, so it's not really sleeping in any case.

I've found it will only charge them to the second (of three) battery indicators. It will only charge the Joycons all the way if the system is docked and on.

rdytoroll

How much energy does the Switch draw while in docked sleep mode?

I'd guess much less than the PS4 / Xbox One, right? I always like to turn my stuff off completely to save some energy, but I'd like to keep the Switch docked overnight

In terms of power/capability/software, the Switch feels like a home console for me regardless of the "mode" that I'm using it in. I get that it isn't on-par with PS4/Xbone, but that doesn't make it less of a "console" to me. I assign that label based on the kinds of experience I get to have with the hardware. So far, Zelda is the real deal and plays exactly as I would expect a "console" title to do.

That being said, I've used it mostly in portable mode so far but I love the versatility. The ability to "Switch" between various forms for portable play, or to be able to dock and display it on my TV seamlessly really makes it feel like it deserves the "hybrid" label.

I'd guess much less than the PS4 / Xbox One, right? I always like to turn my stuff off completely to save some energy, but I'd like to keep the Switch docked overnight

The past couple nights I've had my Switch, with Zelda suspended, in Sleep mode while I slept. It drew about 3% each night (about 8 hours).

qko

I played on the train for the first time today. My commute is usually about 35 minutes. At 100% charged, I played Shovel Knight for about 25 minutes and saw that the battery was at 97%.

I started Zelda for the last 10 and the battery dropped down to 92% and was starting to feel warm. Seems like there is an idea of "hybrid-ness" to the console, but for best performance, you might want to play the bite-sized games undocked, and the heavy duty games docked.Yet still, I played Shovel Knight last night on the TV and undocked it to play Zelda before bed.

This is just a suggestion, because even I plan to drain that battery at lunch and on my commute home from work playing Zelda.

Zedark

The system has been reported to drain 2% of the battery in 8 hours, so 6% of 16Wh (= 4310 mah) in 24 hours, or about 1 Wh a day. I believe the PS4 uses 0.24 kWh, so 240 times as much, in a day. This is all educated guesswork from what I know about the power consumption, but I think this is about how it should be (with Switch maybe pulling a bit more than absolutely necessary to maintain charge, but not much I think). In addition, there might be some rest energy from keeping the tv output up addition running for instant awakening, but that won't put it in PS4 ballpark at all I think.

Jerm411

I've found it will only charge them to the second (of three) battery indicators. It will only charge the Joycons all the way if the system is docked and on.

This brings up a question I'm shocked I haven't thought of, is there a way to see how much charge the JoyCons have...? Is it displayed anywhere on the OS?

rdytoroll

The system has been reported to drain 2% of the battery in 8 hours, so 6% of 16Wh (= 4310 mah) in 24 hours, or about 1 Wh a day. I believe the PS4 uses 0.24 kWh, so 240 times as much, in a day. This is all educated guesswork from what I know about the power consumption, but I think this is about how it should be (with Switch maybe pulling a bit more than absolutely necessary to maintain charge, but not much I think). In addition, there might be some rest energy from keeping the tv output up addition running for instant awakening, but that won't put it in PS4 ballpark at all I think.

Thanks, that's not bad at all.

Lucifon

That's impressive if true. Not even comparable.

i got the switch on sunday i traded my wii u with some games and it payed all the switch with zelda, console is slick, much smaller , i only played portable didnt play on my tv so far i like the console

I use it docked, in tabletop mode and in handheld mode. I'm primarily a handheld gamer, but I've always wanted to see what my games looked like on a big screen. It's great in all three modes. It doesn't feel compromised to me from a gameplay perspective. The power is compromised as a home console, but as a handheld, boy, even coming off the Vita, it's very impressive.

Got my Switch today (no games yet sadly) and my dock was one of the ones that weren't straight. Currently have my old Crysis/Warhead box in it to hopefully stretch it out. Other than that it's a solid piece of kit.

lbIwVSA.jpg

finalflame

I played Zelda on my commute to work today. Feels surreal.

Same here, felt surreal sitting in my company shuttle playing Zelda. So. Damn. Good.

Might play some more during lunch, too. Damn this game/system are good.

Why is the screen made of plastic? Today's gorilla glass is durable as fuck

No matter how durable it is, it will shatter easier than plastic, which will basically shatter never. It sucks due to the scratching, though, but the Vita was the same.

SleepehSheep

Neo Member
Has a solution for the weak wifi signal been found yet? My router is in the next room over but my switch can barely detect it and keeps losing signal when it does. All of my other devices connect fine.

Other than that i'm loving it!

Twookie

It should do. At the very least, there's an official Hori USB-to-Ethernet adapter for it iirc, and I'm fairly sure the one for the Wii U works. There's an option to use a wired connection in internet settings too, so it's definitely supported.

oh, i will look into it then!
thanks, man.

Why is the screen made of plastic? Today's gorilla glass is durable as fuck

money.gif
bounty-wag.gif

Has a solution for the weak wifi signal been found yet? My router is in the next room over but my switch can barely detect it and keeps losing signal when it does. All of my other devices connect fine.

Other than that i'm loving it!

Yeah, the range is shit. Have a Nighthawk in the next room, I can get wifi on my phone outside my neighbours house with it, but only one bar ten feet away with the Switch.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm seriously considering buying another dock and shipping it down to my parents when I visit them in Florida in April so all I need to do is bring my switch (and possibly the pro controller, tho it's not necessary, obviously).

Is that crazy?

Poppyseed

Maybe something is wrong with your system. I haven't docked my Switch yet because of #dockgate, and my JoyCon fully charged without issue connected just to the AC adapter.

Peltz

Maybe it's just because I have small hands, but the joycon grip has been great for long Zelda sessions so far.

It actually works very well, and I find it ergonomic. But the Pro controller is just way better to be honest. Like seriously, that thing is luxurious.

I still have that somewhere i will search for it soon (it came with deluxe wii u versions right?)
Yep

marrec

Banned
I'm seriously considering buying another dock and shipping it down to my parents when I visit them in Florida in April so all I need to do is bring my switch (and possibly the pro controller, tho it's not necessary, obviously).

Is that crazy?

I'm seriously considering gutting the dock and just fabbing up a smaller solution that I can use as a more traditional hub to travel with and plug into any screen with an HDMI slot... cause there ain't much to the Dock, doesn't have to be so big.

Maybe keep the original and buy a few others to experiment with.

Crazyorloco

Had a blast playing with this during my lunch today. We played snipperclips, 1, 2, switch, and just dance.

One coworker said it boosted her energy a bit. lol She wants a switch.

Is that crazy?

Honestly, I'm thinking about getting a second one for our living room TV which I will barely get to play on. Not that crazy really! That being said, I don't think you can officially buy them outside of the replacement part of Nintendo's online store. I wanna wait for the retail package as I have some Gamestop credit to burn still.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe something is wrong with your system. I haven't docked my Switch yet because of #dockgate, and my JoyCon fully charged without issue connected just to the AC adapter.

Well, if you've only been playing with the Joycon attached, of course they would be fully charged. You're constantly charging them.

Does anyone have any issues with connecting wirelessly to their network? When I got the Switch, I was able to connect it to my GFs Wifi easily, but at home my network doesn't show up. Could it be the encryption?

Kyzer

Banned
Finally got my package, everything at once.

Neon Switch
Zelda SE
1, 2 Switch
Bomberman
Pro Controller
Anker 3.0 USB C + Cable
200GB SD Card

is today 12/25?

beyoncecrying.gif

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my package, everything at once.

Neon Switch
Zelda SE
1, 2 Switch
Bomberman
Pro Controller
Anker 3.0 USB C + Cable
200GB SD Card

is today 12/25?

beyoncecrying.gif

Nice! You're in for a treat with Zelda.

Also if you like racers, you should buy Fast RMX

Status