• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

Speely

Banned
I've been thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that I don't want a Mario Maker port for Switch. I want nothing less than a full blown sequel. Something that blows the original out of the water. Doesn't have to come in the first year. If they can get it out in the first year, cool. If not no worries. 2018 is fine. But I want a full blown Super Mario Maker 2.

I want slopes. I want way more level themes to choose from. I want lots more enemy types. I want way more powerups. I want proper key exits mario world style and just secret exits/multiple goals in a level in general. I want lots more objects to play with. I want the ability to tweak things like the timing of moving platforms and patterns. I want more depth to the creation tools. I want the ability to put text boxes in your level. I want the ability to have pipes lead to another pipe in the same area. I want pipes that propel you. I want the ability to set objectives in your level other than get to the goal such as beat the timer, don't touch the floor get x amount of coins etc. I want the ability to put hidden special coins in your level. I want red coins too and the ability to assign a powerup to them. I want more verticality. I want the ability to create vertical scrolling levels. I want completely revamped level searching in game complete with tags and whatnot. I want the ability to put in a description when I upload my level. I want the ability to view replays of people who have played my level complete with all their failures so I can see where people are struggling. I want to be able to create a set of levels to upload for people to go though one after the other, like a mini world. I want to be able to place water in a non water stage.

I want I want I want. No port. Only full sequel. Thanks Nintendo. I know you can do it.

Could you elaborate a bit?

;)

But seriously, cosigned. Would be a dream come true.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Maybe you're right but it definitely sounds like they're waiting.

Level5 il already developing for the console but won't be there in March
None of their announced games will be out in March 17
The issue is that their position is somehow representative of the entire switch situation about typical japanese Nintendo portable support
Even first party

LordKano

I'm at least certain this game is coming to the Switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcKwgNO0o4

If you want my opinion, I think there are a ton of games from Level-5 that are coming. They would be insane to bet on 3DS in mid/late 2017.

Inazuma Eleven Ares still hasn't a definite plateform. It's a more teen-focused reboot, it would be perfect for the Switch. Megaton Musashi won't be out until at the very least late 2017/early 2018, and Hino said that he wanted it to be also playable on a big screen.
The Snack World is supposed to be a huge crossmedia IP (even though I seriously doubt its appeal), it will release on mobile and 3DS, and since the Switch will likely have mobile-connection, it could also be a perfect fit (and the game uses NFC as fuck, we already know the Switch is NFC-compatible).

phanphare

Banned
I've been thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that I don't want a Mario Maker port for Switch. I want nothing less than a full blown sequel. Something that blows the original out of the water. Doesn't have to come in the first year. If they can get it out in the first year, cool. If not no worries. 2018 is fine. But I want a full blown Super Mario Maker 2.

I want slopes. I want way more level themes to choose from. I want lots more enemy types. I want way more powerups. I want proper key exits mario world style and just secret exits/multiple goals in a level in general. I want lots more objects to play with. I want the ability to tweak things like the timing of moving platforms and patterns. I want more depth to the creation tools. I want the ability to put text boxes in your level. I want the ability to have pipes lead to another pipe in the same area. I want pipes that propel you. I want the ability to set objectives in your level other than get to the goal such as beat the timer, don't touch the floor get x amount of coins etc. I want the ability to put hidden special coins in your level. I want red coins too and the ability to assign a powerup to them. I want more verticality. I want the ability to create vertical scrolling levels. I want completely revamped level searching in game complete with tags and whatnot. I want the ability to put in a description when I upload my level. I want the ability to view replays of people who have played my level complete with all their failures so I can see where people are struggling. I want to be able to create a set of levels to upload for people to go though one after the other, like a mini world. I want to be able to place water in a non water stage.

I want I want I want. No port. Only full sequel. Thanks Nintendo. I know you can do it.

with what they're doing for mario kart 8 and splatoon a port could include many new features

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Because those are enhanced ports with new features and content. I don't see how an enhanced port of MK8 with new tracks, new characters and new game mechanics is that much different from a hypothetical MK9. Let them get those ports out and develop something new.

No idea what that has to do with me wanting new experiences for new hardware.

MK8.5 or MK9 or whatever it ends up being is better suited a few months down the line.

On day one I'd rather have something like Luigi's Mansion or Wii Sports or Nintendoland.

Oregano

If you want my opinion, I think there are a ton of games from Level-5 that are coming. They would be insane to bet on 3DS in mid/late 2017.

Inazuma Eleven Ares still hasn't a definite plateform. It's a more teen-focused reboot, it would be perfect for the Switch. Megaton Musashi won't be out until at the very least late 2017/early 2018, and Hino said that he wanted it to be also playable on a big screen.
The Snack World is supposed to be a huge crossmedia IP (even though I seriously doubt its appeal), it will release on mobile and 3DS, and since the Switch will likely have mobile-connection, it could also be a perfect fit (and the game uses NFC as fuck, we already know the Switch is NFC-compatible).

I think the big screen comment was in relation to PS4 considering they released screens with the PS button overlays.

Do you magically expect everyone to be there at laiunch? Calm down already.

Things have to spread out. The way it looks that new Monster Hunter game could be coming to Switch in March also.

No one is confirmed for launch yet but Level 5 was one the big guns at 3DS launch.

As to the bolded they've not given any indication of that so far. Duckroll broke it down why it might makes to be 3DS exclusive. I disagreed with him but he might be right.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You should read more in my posts
You know that

It has been said by me prior to the preview that they would have positioned the console for the core gamers at first

We all saw that I was right and you know that it isnt a cohincidence

They will target it with a moderately high price, primarly as a home console, more focused on the west first

There will be wiiu ports, some western third party multiplatform games (but way less than the wiiu launch ) and very few examples of a possible actual merge in the home side of the usual strenghts of a Nintendo portable

Mark my words down (of course they will also show some brand new first party game, but the launch will be a Zelda moment from what I know )

Ok, Aostia, I know that you can have some infos, but I also know you tend to jump to conclusions way too easily, especially when they there's a negative conclusion as a possibility. Not the first time you do it, not the last one. Yes, the first trailer may have a focus on core gamers and they're trying to sell it as a home console that can be used on the go as well, but starting from there and saying that the first period will only have "useless Western games", "Wii U port" (so, basically, you seem to exclude Japanese support to be there) is the extreme jump to negative conclusions I was talking about. Unless you heard something more than just what you've heard for the preview trailer and the launch being a "Zelda moment", of course.

P.S. I would read your posts with a bigger pleasure if they didn't sound so doom-tastic. And by that I don't mean you can't say negative stuff on the matter, I'm just referring to the way you express it.

Neoxon

I feel like the rumored Smash 4 port would've a great launch title for the Switch. Not only because it can advertise Nintendo's IPs & sell Amiibos, but also to help Nintendo's rumored eSports push. Hell, maybe even pack it in with the Switch as one big Nintendo universe sampler plate. Sure, it could probably sell on its own, but it's already a port in of itself, plus you'd have a major Amiibo game from the start.

LordKano

No one is confirmed for launch yet but Level 5 was one the big guns at 3DS launch

Do not forget that they also killed almost all their IPs at the 3DS launch. Layton was dead after two episodes on 3DS, and Inazuma Eleven didn't lasted long too. Now they're planning to reboot their series, but are most likely to be careful this time. Especially with Inazuma Eleven.

Servbot24

Banned
I guess i'll put my early list before we get leaks lol, lets see how many I get right

Metroid Prime - Retro
Mario Maker Switch
3D Mario
Zelda BotW
Splatoon Remix
Mario Kart Remix
Smash Bros Switch all DLC plus new stages and characters (Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Squid Kid Girl or Boy, Rayman, Shovel Knight)
Hyrule Warriors 2 staring Linkle
Xeno something
New IP

3rd Party
Skyrim
Fifa
NBA 2K17
Beyond Good and Evil 2
For Honor
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Watch Dogs 2
PES
Star Wars Battlefront with all DLC
Just Dance
Lego Dimension
Platinum Games new IP
From Software new IP they were hinting at
Sonic (both games)
COD MWR
RE7
The Walking Dead Season 3
No More Heros 3

Indie reel

Damn dude, it would take over 2 hours to get through all those games. Try cutting 20-25 games off that list. :p

Do not forget that they also killed almost all their IPs at the 3DS launch. Layton was dead after two episodes on 3DS, and Inazuma Eleven didn't lasted long too. Now they're planning to reboot their series, but are most likely to be careful this time. Especially with Inazuma Eleven.

I thought things got better after Miracle Mask.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

And Yo-kai is pretty much milked to death.

Still not a good sign that a typical handheld developer is not fully committed. That was supposed to be one of the advantages of a hybrid.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Which is nothing. You legitimately know nothing. The launch line up announcement isn't until January 12th. You lummox.

ok.
too bad I anticipated here on Gaf how they would have a focus on core games at first weeks prior to the preview
You can PM the user below if you want other confirmations
but I am no insider, I know few small info
and I hope to be wrong

Ok, Aostia, I know that you can have some infos, but I also know you tend to jump to conclusions way too easily, especially when they there's a negative conclusion as a possibility. Not the first time you do it, not the last one. Yes, the first trailer may have a focus on core gamers and they're trying to sell it as a home console that can be used on the go as well, but starting from there and saying that the first period will only have "useless Western games", "Wii U port" (so, basically, you seem to exclude Japanese support to be there) is the extreme jump to negative conclusions I was talking about. Unless you heard something more than just what you've heard for the preview trailer and the launch being a "Zelda moment", of course.

P.S. I would read your posts with a bigger pleasure if they didn't sound so doom-tastic. And by that I don't mean you can't say negative stuff on the matter, I'm just referring to the way you express it.

The probelm isnt that there will not be interesring games but even the wiiu had them now and then
The issue is that imho with the hybrid they could have solved many software issue but positioning it as a home console on the go is the wrong strategy for the right product

They should have courted the classic Japanese portable softco /brands and developed their classic portable franchises with a huge technical leap

Instead so far they are trying to regain and recycle from the wiiu looking west to not overlap the 3ds

A huge mistake imho

Mpl90

And Yo-kai is pretty much milked to death.

Still not a good sign that a typical handheld developer is not fully committed. That was supposed to be one of the advantages of a hybrid.

Not having something for launch != not being fully committed. I mean (hypotetical scenario): if they release The Snack World, Inazuma Eleven Ares, Megaton Musashi and the next iteration of Yokai Watch in the 12 months after the launch, would you still call them not being fully committed despite not being present at the console's launch?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not having something for launch != not being fully committed. I mean (hypotetical scenario): if they release The Snack World, Inazuma Eleven Ares, Megaton Musashi and the next iteration of Yokai Watch in the 12 months after the launch, would you still call them not being fully committed despite not being present at the console's launch?

Did I say anything about launch?

That statement is not a statement of a developer who is fully committed.

Or I don't know the definition of the word "committed".

Edit: that dream 12 months line-up is exactly this, a dream, for now.

Mpl90

Did I say anything about launch?

That statement is not a statement of a developer who is fully committed.

Or I don't know the definition of the word "committed".

As posted by LordKano, the original article states Hino said they have the intention to put games on Switch, not a wait-and-see approach. Still, you know that they can't go too much in detail about their support before the event, right? If you see GameReactor's interview with Brian from Image&Form in August (well before Switch's reveal), you'll see how it's possible to play with words to hide your full commitment even if you're already developing for it.

Terrell

I haven't seen the Gamexplain video but why do they think Wave Race is coming back?

I'm sure it's based on nothing.

But it is important to point out that Wave Race has been used by Nintendo in the past as a technical showpiece, particularly referring to water physics. So.... who knows?

Like it's one thing to be skeptical when you look at a trailer focusing on the newness of the console and not entirely new games as "What if third parties aren't commited beyond ports?" Which is totally fine, a valid concern.

But when a company like Level-5, which has been a partner for Nintendo for a long time with 3 long standing series based on handhelds, still says they're supporting the Switch, but have no games for it at launch? YOU ALL LOSE YOUR FUCKING COMMON SENSE AND GO DOOMSAYER ON US.

That's a record. It's astounding. I literally expected more from you guys when it comes to criticizing this thing.

You expected too much.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As posted by LordKano, the original article states Hino said they have the intention to put games on Switch, not a wait-and-see approach. Still, you know that they can't go too much in detail about their support before the event, right? If you see GameReactor's interview with Brian from Image&Form in August (well before Switch's reveal), you'll see how it's possible to play with words to hide your full commitment even if you're already developing for it.

Did you read the article? Because I did. And there isn't much difference. It's the same bullshit PR in Spanish too. You don't need to find that something magic about it to make games for a console. It's a cold business decision. And they will start working on something when that decision will be taken. This is not commitment. EA can do better commitments than this.

edit: I'm not going full Capitan. I said nothing about Switch being doomed or anything. Just that it's not exactly a good sign.

I guess i'll put my early list before we get leaks lol, lets see how many I get right

Metroid Prime - Retro
Mario Maker Switch
3D Mario
Zelda BotW
Splatoon Remix
Mario Kart Remix
Smash Bros Switch all DLC plus new stages and characters (Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Squid Kid Girl or Boy, Rayman, Shovel Knight)
Hyrule Warriors 2 staring Linkle
Xeno something
New IP

3rd Party
Skyrim
Fifa
NBA 2K17
Beyond Good and Evil 2
For Honor
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Watch Dogs 2
PES
Star Wars Battlefront with all DLC
Just Dance
Lego Dimension
Platinum Games new IP
From Software new IP they were hinting at
Sonic (both games)
COD MWR
RE7
The Walking Dead Season 3
No More Heros 3

Indie reel

That's a good list. But I don't think they show Hyrule Warriors 2, since they want the focus on Zelda.

I don't think Mario maker comes to Switch until 2018. They will want focus on new Mario game.

I don't think Switch will be able to run watchdogs 2. I would bet on either For Honor, south Park, or RS6 as their serious game for Switch.

So I just opened this thread after being done with studying......

Oh it seems like it went to a extremely different direction. I need to go back to studying.....

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think the big screen comment was in relation to PS4 considering they released screens with the PS button overlays.

No one is confirmed for launch yet but Level 5 was one the big guns at 3DS launch.

As to the bolded they've not given any indication of that so far. Duckroll broke it down why it might makes to be 3DS exclusive. I disagreed with him but he might be right.

Eh it really doesn't make sense not at that time slot. They should have released it this Christmas if there's not going to be a port. Even ignoring that the simple fact the switch is launching during that month with a it's launch library of first party software and 3rd parties will likely take away attention and sales from MH even if it's only slightly due to the franchises strength. There's really no advantages outside a port to that decision.

Mpl90

Did you read the article? Because I did. And there isn't much difference. It's the same bullshit PR in Spanish too. You don't need to find that something magic about it to make games for a console. It's a cold business decision. And they will start working on something when that decision will be taken. This is not commitment. EA can do better commitments than this.

edit: I'm not going full Capitan. I said nothing about Switch being doomed or anything. Just that it's not exactly a good sign.

Right due to the fact it's mostly PR-ese, then, you should know better that it's not like the only possibility is that they're not already working on the platform. If you want to go the extra mile and say the "planning" / "having intentions" is part of the PR speech, fine: their presence on the partners slide already shows they're on board, and I say there are good possibilities they are already working on stuff for the platform, just that it won't be ready for launch, given the great relationship between the two companies and the kind of platform we're dealing with (a "portable" home console). I mentioned Image&Form in August already, but see the Bethesda thread in September as well as another example of trying to be as prudent as possible with wording doesn't necessairly translates into "not working on it right now".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Right due to the fact it's mostly PR-ese, then, you should know better that it's not like the only possibility is that they're not already working on the platform. If you want to go the extra mile and say the "planning" / "having intentions" is part of the PR speech, fine: their presence on the partners slide already shows they're on board, and I say there are good possibilities they are already working on stuff for the platform, just that it won't be ready for launch, given the great relationship between the two companies and the kind of platform we're dealing with (a "portable" home console). I mentioned Image&Form in August already, but see the Bethesda thread in September as well as another example of trying to be as prudent as possible with wording doesn't necessairly translates into "not working on it right now".

This is going the extra mile compared to Bethesda's PR. Bethesda had nothing to announce now, but they will announce later their plans. That's a pretty straight forward PR.

Level 5 hasn't found the magic development sauce yet, but when/if they will find it, oh boy!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is going the extra mile compared to Bethesda's PR. Bethesda had nothing to announce now, but they will announce later their plans. That's a pretty straight forward PR.

Level 5 hasn't found the magic development sauce yet, but when they will find it, oh boy!

It's basically a wait and see approach, they're trying to find out what demographic if any the switch will appeal to and willthus create games to cater to that if it succeeds. They won't be trying to actively court such and such demographic onto the console however which is far more important for the consoles chance at success

Speely

Banned
It's basically a wait and see approach, they're trying to find out what demographic if any the switch will appeal to and willthus create games to cater to that if it succeeds. They won't be trying to actively court such and such demographic onto the console however which is far more important for the consoles chance at success

This is a good point. Given that L5 makes both handheld and home console games, it stands to reason that they might want to see which approach will work best on a hybrid.

LordKano

I'll give my expectations about what will be in the 13th January event. First, since it's a huge event with two days of hands-on, and a 1h30-2h long conference, I expect it to be quite filled and especially with Third-Party games (I don't see why they would hold a press conference if it's not because some third party don't want a Direct).

First-party games :
- Zelda Breath of the Wild (launch)
- Super Mario 3D Switch (holiday 2017)
- Splatoon port (launch)
- Mario Kart 8 port (launch)
- Smash Bros port (summer)
- Pikmin 4 (summer)
- Retro Studios game(s) (I expect a new IP) (holiday 2017)
- Fire Emblem Warriors (from Koei Tecmo) (fall 2017)
- New Kirby game (late spring)
- A new "party" game from the Wario Ware/Rhythm Tengoku team (holiday 2017)

Third party games :
- Skyrim Special Edition (launch)
- NBA 2K17 (launch)
- Just Dance 2017 (launch)
- Tom's Clancy Ghost Recon: Wildlands (launch)
- Batman: Return to Arkham (launch)
- Dragon Quest XI (when the fuck Square Enix want)
- Dragon Quest X (summer, in Japan)
- Tekken 7 (launch, if the game actually releases in Q1 2017)
- Monster Hunter Double Cross (launch, in Japan)
- I Am Setsuna port (late spring)

Indie games :
- Terraria (launch)
- Oceanhorn (launch)
- Steamworld Quest (when it's ready, summer maybe ?)
- Undertale (launch)
- Dungeon of Zaar (mid-year, that's the current release date)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Exactly. And it fits this older statement:

As for the next generation of hardware, Hino expressed interest in developing game for the platform, if the console can "bring Level-5 games to as many kids as possible." If the company determines that to be the case, Hino told us "it wouldn’t be impossible" to see Level-5 developing games for it.

Notice also this statement that sounds familiar:

Hino told us that if Level-5 has a title that would be served well as a Wii U game, "I would definitely want to proactively consider it."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/24/yo-kai-watch-developer-open-to-bringing-franchise-to-wii-u-nx

I'll give my expectations about what will be in the 13th January event. First, since it's a huge event with two days of hands-on, and a 1h30-2h long conference, I expect it to be quite filled and especially with Third-Party games (I don't see why they would hold a press conference if it's not because some third party don't want a Direct).

First-party games :
- Splatoon port (launch)
- Pikmin 4 (summer)

Third party games :
- NBA 2K17 (launch)

Indie games :
- Terraria (launch)
- Oceanhorn (launch)
- Undertale (launch)

Fire emblem warriors would be very smart. Easy to do also.

At the Jan 12th showing, I'm also aiming we get a peak a games releasing summer they holiday 2017. I would think that is where we see the first true Sonic trailer for fall 2017 release.

At the Jan 12th showing, I'm also aiming we get a peak a games releasing summer they holiday 2017. I would think that is where we see the first true Sonic trailer for fall 2017 release.

One of Kimishima's desires is to show that the Switch has enough Software support to last for the year past the initial launch window, so I can see them teasing more titles out in the pipeline.

First-party games :
- Splatoon port (launch)
- Pikmin 4 (summer)

Third party games :
- NBA 2K17 (launch)

Indie games :
- Terraria (launch)
- Oceanhorn (launch)
- Undertale (launch)

I don't see how they don't launch with a Fifa.

jnWake

Level 5 didn't support the Wii U because they had the 3DS as a better alternative. For the NS this alternative doesn't exist unless they start making succesful mobile titles (iirc they haven't done that well there yet).

Also saying that they're waiting to see if NS appeals to the kid demographics is kinda silly since that's the same audience Nintendo appeals to. Even in "core gamer" mode most Nintendo franchises are aimed at kids.

Top Bottom