• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

Guevara

My guess for "non-wearables"

• a series of app-like software for your mobile and Nintendo hardware
  • you use it to enter various data thoughout the day, mild interaction but mostly just jotting things down
  • it generates a bunch of graphs and charts, and maybe makes recommendations
  • like BrainAge, it nags the hell out of you if you miss a few days
  • it's not a wearable, and since it is on so many devices is it always "with you"

37l.jpg

Is...is Nintendo seriously claiming to be reading the tech industry's next big trend?

They can't even read their own market of "expertise" for fuck's sake. I can't even..just...what

thefit

Its going to be a pill that will monitor your vitals with the Wii U and some new exercise game, then when you shit it out it will monitor the waters and environment all the way back to the ocean of which the data will be collected to help with global warming. Now once the pill reaches the ocean and it ends up being eaten by some sea creature well this is were experienced developers like Sega step in to use the data for a new Seaman Wii U tittle.

Wall

I think this is a signal that Nintendo is at least thinking of getting out of gaming. True, getting out of a market that has turned what was once a relatively small family owned company into a multi-billion dollar multi-national corporation sounds insane, but Nintendo always has seemed to operate by its own logic. In many ways, they still seem to think like the small family owned enterprise they once were.

Clearly. they haven't been happy with the returns they've been getting from gaming for some time: at least since the early 2000's when development costs really started to rise. This dissatisfaction drove their constant attempts to disrupt the gaming market and seek out blue oceans where they could extract greater returns on their investments.

I also think their upper management has grown dissatisfied with the decline of gaming as an activity in Japan. I think part of the reason for the shift away from western development in the Iwata era was the fear that Nintendo would become too much of a western company. Even without the decline of the gaming market in Japan, the sheer size of the Western market compared with Japanese market seems to necessitate a western focus in order to appeal to non-Japanese gamers.

If Nintendo really were interested in correcting their problems so as to increase their marketshare in gaming, you would think they would be investing money to correct their problems in that area. You would think they'd be building up their internal development teams, expanding their western development, creating infrastructure to reach out to third parties, and building an online infrastructure.

But they aren't.

The money they are spending on this solves none of their current problems in terms of the marketshare they are losing. Will it generate enough revenue to offset their continually shrinking revenue in the gaming market? Its tough to say without knowing what the hell this represents.

"Non-wearable" as term, unlike terms like PC's, tablets, or smartphones, is purely defined by what it is not. Apparently, Nintendo's next product is not a console, not something you carry around, and not something you wear. Then what the hell is it?

The whole thing doesn't fill with confidence, especially because, like gaming, the health and education fields are also fiercely competitive. If Nintendo finds the gaming industry, a marketplace they have the advantage of having competed for over 30's years, too competitive, I can't imagine how their going to feel competing in fields they have absolutely no experience in. It's not even like when they entered the market for console and arcade gaming, which was still a fairly young and open in the late 70's and early 80's. Even then they needed the existing market dominated by Atari to crash to create an opening for them.

I just fear they that, although they are providing rationalizations grounded in the logic of business, that Nintendo is doing this for the wrong reasons. Their leadership is doing this because they want the company to remain essentially an extension of the small family owned company it was before it entered video-games. I don't see how they can do that and remain a multi-billion dollar company of the size they are today.

My guess for "non-wearables"

• a series of app-like software for your mobile and Nintendo hardware
  • you use it to enter various data thoughout the day, mild interaction but mostly just jotting things down
  • it generates a bunch of graphs and charts, and maybe makes recommendations
  • like BrainAge, it nags the hell out of you if you miss a few days
  • it's not a wearable, and since it is on so many devices is it always "with you"

This is all I can think of. It may also come with a dedicated tablet or e-readerish device from Nintendo for reading books, doing Brain Age things, working on Art Academy exercises, or trying out new cookbook recipes.

This is really bizarre. It'd be like a Leapfrog for old people.

Van Owen

Banned
I really hope this is a parallel product and it's not integrated in its console bussiness.

They're trying to back away from the consuls business with this new venture.

Just like they were a playing card company, they may be known as a QOL company in the future. Nintendo isn't going after core gamers, and hasn't for awhile.

Biker19

Banned
Wow, seriously?

They just need to fucking fire everybody. Nintendo is really on the path to becoming the next Sega.

Riki

They're trying to back away from the consuls business with this new venture.

Just like they were a playing card company, they may be known as a QOL company in the future. Nintendo isn't going after core gamers, and hasn't for awhile.
That's the opposite of what was said...

So is something like and app/device that register your daily activity and the recommends stuff to do/makes a list of software to use to improve your health?.

"Hey! you only walked for 15 min today! wanna play some Wii Fit for 20 minutes to reach the recommended amount of daily exercise!"

"You score on memory was a bit lower today, play some memory minigames to improve it!"

Is so stupid and bizarre...

$h@d0w

This is Nintendo's exit strategy from the game industry, transition phase.

They need something else to sell other than games and cards.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is...is Nintendo seriously claiming to be reading the tech industry's next big trend?

They can't even read their own market of "expertise" for fuck's sake. I can't even..just...what

No, they're just making a vague stopgap announcement while trying to head off "nintendo is making fit.bits" newstories.

Kimawolf

Non wearable platform... always online, always connected platform that is everywhere. What it sounds like to me. Wearing your google glass, it can connect to you. Have your phone going to dinner. It tracks where you go tells you "hey mcdonalds is not gonna help you meet your goal, try Subway down the street." Go to movies it recommends them for you.QOL non wearable platform. Nintendo is everywhere.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wow, seriously?

They just need to fucking fire everybody. Nintendo is really on the path to becoming the next Sega.

Shit at least Sega still makes games. This sounds even worse.

Iwata " Lets try everything except what gamers really want"

Jigorath

Banned
Why does this seem like something cobbled together at the last minute?

It's as if Iwata and Miyamoto spent the last few weeks doing nothing but drinking and getting high. They woke up 5 minutes before the meeting and decided to throw together a quick powerpoint presentation. They would avoid any criticism by being as vague and uninformative as possible. Reminds me of myself in 10th grade.

Laieon

I think Nintendo releasing the occasional "edutainment" game (something like Oregon Trail, Reader Rabbit, or Cluefinders) is actually a pretty cool idea, it seems like that genres been dead for awhile (although obviously I haven't exactly looked around). As a kid, those were some of my favorite games.

They definitely shouldn't be Nintendo's main priority though.

I think this is a signal that Nintendo is at least thinking of getting out of gaming. True, getting out of a market that has turned what was once a relatively small family owned company into a multi-billion dollar multi-national corporation sounds insane, but Nintendo always has seemed to operate by its own logic. In many ways, they still seem to think like the small family owned enterprise they once were.

Clearly. they haven't been happy with the returns they've been getting from gaming for some time: at least since the early 2000's when development costs really started to rise. This dissatisfaction drove their constant attempts to disrupt the gaming market and seek out blue oceans where they could extract greater returns on their investments.

I also think their upper management has grown dissatisfied with the decline of gaming as an activity in Japan. I think part of the reason for the shift away from western development in the Iwata era was the fear that Nintendo would become too much of a western company. Even without the decline of the gaming market in Japan, the sheer size of the Western market compared with Japanese market seems to necessitate a western focus in order to appeal to non-Japanese gamers.

If Nintendo really were interested in correcting their problems so as to increase their marketshare in gaming, you would think they would be investing money to correct their problems in that area. You would think they'd be building up their internal development teams, expanding their western development, creating infrastructure to reach out to third parties, and building an online infrastructure.

But they aren't.

The money they are spending on this solves none of their current problems in terms of the marketshare they are losing. Will it generate enough revenue to offset their continually shrinking revenue in the gaming market? Its tough to say without knowing what the hell this represents.

"Non-wearable" as term, unlike terms like PC's, tablets, or smartphones, is purely defined by what it is not. Apparently, Nintendo's next product is not a console, not something you carry around, and not something you wear. Then what the hell is it?

The whole thing doesn't fill with confidence, especially because, like gaming, the health and education fields are also fiercely competitive. If Nintendo finds the gaming industry, a marketplace they have the advantage of having competed for over 30's years, too competitive, I can't imagine how their going to feel competing in fields they have absolutely no experience in. It's not even like when they entered the market for console and arcade gaming, which was still a fairly young and open in the late 70's and early 80's. Even then they needed the existing market dominated by Atari to crash to create an opening for them.

I just fear they that, although they are providing rationalizations grounded in the logic of business, that Nintendo is doing this for the wrong reasons. Their leadership is doing this because they want the company to remain essentially an extension of the small family owned company it was before it entered video-games. I don't see how they can do that and remain a multi-billion dollar company of the size they are today.
Fantastic post. I don't buy them being able to completely support their new QOL stuff along with new consoles with their current staff. This isn't where I want to see them going but I don't see things changing without an investor-forced board change. I don't really know how that would work, though.

Azih

Nintendo doesn't have enough software manpower to Support two platforms. Let alone this QOL nonsense. They don't have the expertise to develop a standard account system let alone trying to leapfrog Google in anything.

vareon

That's interesting. With everyone else saying Nintendo should just go mobile, Nintendo does something else completely different.

We'll see! If it's irrelevant to me at least it's interesting.

I don't even know what the fuck is that.

Yeah, I'm looking at it, but I don't know what's the idea behind it or the appeal or the business....

From my understanding of it:
Universal Public Awareness of health is usually tied with the prevention of illness, but its difficult to keep the public engaged in that. So like, there's always studies about how McDonalds is bad for you but people still knowingly eat it.

Nintendo appears to want to get in there and engage people by making a non-wearable device that can be integrated into people's lives. It'd also keep them entertained and because they're an entertainment company, this should be very easy.

That in turn should redefine health-consciousness and expand the fitness population, growing their "non-wearable platform"

tl;dr- I think they want to pull a FitBit. Could potentially be interesting but with just that look its hard to say one way or another what it could end up being/be used for.

I mean, if you told me in 1999 that i'd be playing games with 2 screens I'd think that idea sounds alien. But shit, I'm here playing a 3DS right now.

But they aren't.

This is such a great post

I think the QOL is a partnership with another company, otherwise how would they have resources to manage their games business concurrently with QOL? They barely manage their games business as it stands now.

Wii
Fuck
U for enhancing qualify of sexual health.

Seriously though, they're trying too hard at this whole blue ocean strategy, the gamepad is not an interesting new concept, it's been done to death on tablets and touch phones, not sure where they're heading with this QOL thing, Mario PocketWatch?

Game Guru

I said this in another topic, but I think I understand what QOL means... Imagine Wii Fit and the Balance Board, but imagine that you didn't have to buy a Nintendo system to use either. It would exist in... say, the bathroom like a typical weight scale would normally be, but it could stream the Wii Fit software to your smartphone or tablet (as well as the 3DS and Wii U). It would be a smart scale, wouldn't it? And you would need to buy Nintendo hardware to use it, wouldn't you? The QOL stuff might be something like that.

The Boat

Sounds like Miyamoto's kind of stuff. He's been doing all this sort of side projects lately. Research for the vitality sensor lead them here.

Sandfox

Notice how little time they spent on Wii U?

That's because Nintendo doesn't expect much from the Wii U and are simply trying to get some sales out of it in the short term through NFC software that they can launch in a few month and addition updates since getting out something new would take time.

lenovox1

Non wearable platform... always online, always connected platform that is everywhere. What it sounds like to me. Wearing your google glass, it can connect to you. Have your phone going to dinner. It tracks where you go tells you "hey mcdonalds is not gonna help you meet your goal, try Subway down the street." Go to movies it recommends them for you.QOL non wearable platform. Nintendo is everywhere.

That's where my mind goes when I see the phrase "non-wearables" in this context, but I can't even fathom Nintendo being that ambitious with a software platform. I, mean, look at the Wii U. But we shall see.

Epcott

Good to see everyone here is just as confused. I thought maybe I missed something.

If a nonwearable QOL device is just a tablet and app software, why wouldn't Iwata just call it that in the first place?

I googled non-wearable tech and images of Nike watches, shoes, and pedometers show up. Perhaps Nintendo will partner with Nike? I can certainly see both companies using their strengths to release shoes and watches that track ones health.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Like Iwata.

I'm Iwata like a fox, buddy.

Seriously, if this were an Apple or Google initiative to make some sort of app ecosystem that followed you across all devices and monitored your health and nudged you into smart decisions I think people would be going apeshit at this.

The difference is, as much as I love them, Nintendo is gonna half-ass and do it in the most ridiculously Rube Goldberg fashion it can possibly be executed. That's the Nintendo difference; lovable ineptitude.

I shall die up on that hill with them.

lenovox1

I think Nintendo releasing the occasional "edutainment" game (something like Oregon Trail, Reader Rabbit, or Cluefinders) is actually a pretty cool idea, it seems like that genres been dead for awhile (although obviously I haven't exactly looked around). As a kid, those were some of my favorite games.

They definitely shouldn't be Nintendo's main priority though.

What Nintendo seemingly to wants to do is make FitBit type stuff friendly and entertaining by using its experience as a video game developer, not merely straight up make edutainment software. But who the hell knows what's going on with after that presentation.

Servbot24

Banned

And wearable devices aren't even a mainstream trend yet. No idea what Nintendo could be thinking.

bon

Notice how little time they spent on Wii U?

Iwata started the presentation off by specifically saying that Nintendo is not changing, they are optimistic about the future of game consoles, they are going to keep supporting the Wii U, and they are going to keep developing future game consoles. There's no reason for him to be lying since that stuff is not what investors wanted to hear.

From my understanding of it:
Universal Public Awareness of health is usually tied with the prevention of illness, but its difficult to keep the public engaged in that. So like, there's always studies about how McDonalds is bad for you but people still knowingly eat it.

Nintendo appears to want to get in there and engage people by making a non-wearable device that can be integrated into people's lives. It'd also keep them entertained and because they're an entertainment company, this should be very easy.

That in turn should redefine health-consciousness and expand the fitness population, growing their "non-wearable platform"

tl;dr- I think they want to pull a FitBit. Could potentially be interesting but with just that look its hard to say one way or another what it could end up being/be used for.

I mean, if you told me in 1999 that i'd be playing games with 2 screens I'd think that idea sounds alien. But shit, I'm here playing a 3DS right now.

I understand the concept but I don't get the meaning. Similar products are already in the market, Sony is entering on it too, but at least Sony has a full line of products (everyday wearable devices) to connect too. Is nintendo trying to make ppl buy their own ecosystem of devices with the excuse of nonwearabale that many other companies are doing with existing ones that ppl already carries? a service software? ppl with drop any other alternatve just because "Nintendo magic"?

All this is just a big "?", not sure even Nintendo knows what they mean with all these new buzzwords and babbling.

But they aren't.

Or maybe they're just waiting to reveal these products at E3. Should do wonders after not even having a conference last year.

Komo

Banned
I feel that they're planning to transition into completely health products, which they know will sell and have (e.g. Wii Fit) sold. A knee-jerk reaction would probably be anger at such a decision, but I would tend to put health over video games and so I don't find this to be all too bad.

Just read more of the translated presentation. Perhaps a combo of an account based website/app and something with the vitality sensor? Non-wearable...

Riki

If this has been all Iwata talked about today, I could see a small case for them moving away from gaming. But that didn't happen. Infact, he said they were doubling down on gaming hardware for the future.
Maybe, in the unlikely event that this QOL platform becomes more successful tham gaming ever was for Nintendo, I could see them transitioning over in a few decades. Otherwise, suggesting this is Nintendo doing anything besides trying to branch out is just crazy.
Is this the right thing to branch out to, I don't know. But this isn't the death signal of traditional gaming from Nintendo. Not even close.

Top Bottom