• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

A serious answer was given in the presentation: They see gaming hardware as their main business, they wan´t to establish a QoL platform as a new pillar. In the future they hope they can leverage synergies between both platforms to help each other reaching new customers. So no., they are not leaving the gaming business. This whole thing helps them staying in the gaming business...

Edit: Iwata also mentioned that health is not the only new busines.. but the first one. They will expand into education and lifestyle as well. Health is just their first step.

DS was suppose to be a new pillar next to Gameboy. We never saw Gameboy again...

Man, Nintendo possibly transitioning out of gaming is some wild shit. I wonder if they'd keep the IP and have a smaller gaming division, focusing on low budget games that can sell to the hardcore niche. That would be ideal.

I don't see where they said or even implied they want to transition out of gaming. They seem to be trying to strengthen their gaming platforms with this new venture. However, in like 15 years if Nintendo is making bank through other ventures and their gaming business is struggling, I could eventually see them licensing out a lot of their properties and essentially going 3rd party.

120v

i think this is the step nintendo should've taken all along... the DS and Wii found their success in "quality of life" entertainment... it was clear competing directlhy against sony and MS wasn't the way, so its baffling they ended up going that route anyway.

but it makes me wonder what exactly consists as "non-wearable" ... does that literally mean non wearable as in cell phones, PCs, laptops, ect. or another console/portable. probably the latter... though its a weird way to put it

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
dr_mario2y5uvn.jpg

Would you trust Dr. Mario with doing an OB-GYN?

I don't see where they said or even implied they want to transition out of gaming. They seem to be trying to strengthen their gaming platforms with this new venture. However, in like 15 years if Nintendo is making bank through other ventures and their gaming business is struggling, I could eventually see them licensing out a lot of their properties and essentially going 3rd party.

Those slides are more or less meaningless without knowing what the QOL product is. They all just point in the right direction and make it seem like it's for a good cause.

They didn't announce anything strategically that is going to help the WiiU. Wait until the NPDs start coming in this year.

lenovox1

the worst thing Nintendo makes is hardware and this is hardware in a much more crowded market so yeah...iwata is an idiot

We don't know if this is hardware at all with that "non-wearable" mess. Not a console, not a handheld, not wearable device. Is it a banana? Have the pieces of fruit in the Nintendo Directs been directing us to this all along? :-O!

TunaLover

The way I see these QoL products is what investors have been asking for, put Nintendo content on smartphone platforms, those QoL will be available on current Nintendo hardware too (Wii U / 3DS), probably will have some extras on Nintendo platforms as interaction with games, Miiverse stuff, NNID and whatnot. I don't think that it requires by force a new hardware, at least that's how I understand that.

Those slides are more or less meaningless without knowing what the QOL product is. They all just point in the right direction and make it seem like it's for a good cause.

They didn't announce anything strategically that is going to help the WiiU. Wait until the NPDs start coming in this year.

Oh well Wii U is dead and has no chance at ever being an even partially relevant system. I was talking about the future.

Also, Nintendo could actually be in some dire straights if this new venture completely fails considering they seem to be positioning it so largely. Hopefully they don't Blackberry themselves.

Sandfox

They already stated what they're going to do with the Wii U, which is a lost cause and another device to replace is going to take years.

but it makes me wonder what exactly consists as "non-wearable" ... does that literally mean non wearable as in cell phones, PCs, laptops, ect. or another console/portable. probably the latter... though its a weird way to put it

It means scales, weights, mirrors, treadmills, yoga mats, etc. equipped with wifi chips.

But Fitbits and other fitness tracking devices come with apps that let you check this info on your tablet and phone. Sure, Nintendo's solution would add your TV and 3DS to the mix, but will that be enough to differentiate them? Isn't an alert via phone more useful than getting a reminder when you turn on your console?

You're 100% right. Thats why you release fitness app on mobile. In that app you advertise your other software on your own hardware to take further advantage of your ecosystem. Thats of course if nintendo wants to release mobile apps. if they can make QoL into an ecosystem, I see potential. But they can't limit it to Nintendo only hardware.

onipex

Expanding into health is something they should have started last gen with the success they had with Wii Fit and brainage. I heard of non-wearable fitness trackers before and it was referring to clothes with built in trackers aka smart clothes.

sphagnum

Banned
Expanding into health is something they should have started last gen with the success they had with Wii Fit and brainage. I heard of non-wearable fitness trackers before and it was referring to clothes with built in trackers aka smart clothes.

But wouldn't those be....wearable?

Also, Nintendo could actually be in some dire straights if this new venture completely fails considering they seem to be positioning it so largely. Hopefully they don't Blackberry themselves.
If their main goal here is to have a relatively low cost barrier for their strong QoL software and that sort of thing then they'll probably be fine.

If their goal is to just do whatever then...

"The next big thing is wearable computing, which no one has fully figured out yet and is still probably three years out from being market-ready, and five years out from widespread adoption. We're going to completely leapfrog that massive technical achievement being undertaken by companies far larger than ours."

"That's amazing, Mr. Iwata! What is this new technology that goes even beyond?!"

"I can't tell you."

"Can you at least give me a name or something?"

"Sure. It's not-wearable computing!"

Okay, Iwata. This isn't a complete bullshit stall tactic. Right. You're just going to pull the rug out from under Google before they can bring wearable computing to market with, what again? Implant computing? Psychic mind-link computing? Alternate reality parallel processing?

This is a farce. I wonder if any investors will actually be taken in. If he shouldn't be fired for his mismanagement, he needs to go because between this and his constant "confidence" in an insane profit projection he's clearly become a snake oil salesman.

this is hardware in a much more crowded market so yeah.

did you skip over the part where he acknowledged this exact 'crowded market' situation?

edit: here ya go

Following others into the exceedingly crowded market of mobile applications or the market of wearable technology that is expected to become increasingly competitive and fighting with brute force is not our way of doing business.

We don't know if this is hardware at all with that "non-wearable" mess. Not a console, not a handheld, not wearable device. Is it a banana? Have the pieces of fruit in the Nintendo Directs been directing us to this all along? :-O!

probably something you put in your pocket which is already a horrible idea because smart phones can do the same thing now, can't wait for the unveil to laugh some more at their ineptness under iwata.

did you skip over the part where he acknowledged this exact 'crowded market' situation?

edit: here ya go

Following others into the exceedingly crowded market of mobile applications or the market of wearable technology that is expected to become increasingly competitive and fighting with brute force is not our way of doing business.

Iwata is afraid of competition...

Zeenbor

Posted this in the other Nintendo thread and it needs to be said here as well:

Looks like Nintendo has given up on gaming. As a long-time Nintendo fan, these are sad times.

That being said, I'm very interested to see their lifestyle apps on smart devices. If they leverage their developers correctly, they could create engaging apps with polish and cater to an expanded audience.

The only mistake is that Nintendo thinks their new audience is a blue ocean. Self education and improvement apps are plentiful on the App Store/Google Play. Nintendo brand IP alone won't distinguish their efforts, unless there's a compelling and unified message to the user on how they can truly make themselves better using a Nintendo-designed regiment of apps or ideas.

Even with their proposed QoL agenda, It's sad to see how creatively bankrupt and oblivious Nintendo really is nowadays. There is plenty of opportunity to create new genres of games or even new game concepts, but they're hell bent on rehashing old IP while also being oblivious to the revolution of new concepts by gaming indies, especially on non-Nintendo platforms.

I just really don't get how they plan on competing against companies who gave so much more experience in these areas. Not only that, but even if they do get a hit other tech companies with a lot more money and connections could copy whatever they do much better in a short period of time. Now, maybe Nintendo has a master plan, but watching Nintendo operate over the last decade this whole thing seems like it will fall flat on its face.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I suspect most of GAF will hate this approach but I think it's brilliant. Good for Nintendo. This blue ocean strategy is in something they've had success in already with the Wii and Wii Fit. Get up, get moving kind of thing.

Brilliant.

I don't think the idea of diversifying into other markets is a bad idea for Nintendo. Will have to see their products to know if this particular one is a good idea. Hopefully it wont affect their gaming side in any negative way though. I think the disappointment is just in the fact that they didn't show their strategy to actually fix their flailing console business, that will have to wait until another day. This is the only thing Iwata said that worried me (in regards to their videogame business)....

One more thing, we will continue to value the motto which we inherited from the company’s former president, Mr. Yamauchi: The True Value of Entertainment lies in Individuality.
Nintendo is not a resource-rich company, with only a little more than 5,000 employees on a consolidated basis. We cannot achieve a strong presence by imitating others and simply competing in terms of size. We have often received advice on overcoming our weaknesses in comparison with other companies and have been questioned about why Nintendo doesn’t follow suit when something is already booming. From a medium- to long-term standpoint, however, we don’t believe that following trends will lead to a positive outcome for Nintendo as an entertainment company. Instead, we should continue to make our best efforts to seek a blue ocean with no rivals and create a new market with innovative offerings as a medium- to long-term goal.

120v

Looks like Nintendo has given up on gaming. As a long-time Nintendo fan, these are sad times.

that's a stretch. nintendo "games" (as in genuine games, like NSMB, mario kart, ect) sell upwards of 10 million in general. they aren't going anywhere, even if the company is switching its focus.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I get the feeling they may be a late to the party on that one.

waaaay too late. Nike fuelbands and the like are probably leading the field here (in the sense that it's something people want, unlike google glass).

spekkeh

Banned
Yes yes yes I have been saying Nintendo should branch out into serious applications and gamification all along. Nintendo is in a unique position to capitalize on this. And it's really only logical. Faith in Iwata restored.

Can we please change the title of the thread? Nintendo does not want to "expand" into health, learning, and other QoL markets. Expansion would imply Nintendo is hiring more resources dedicated for this venture. This is false.

Nintendo is simply moving into QoL. They are taking resources away from gaming and working on trying to enter QoL.

Expect less games and a long wait for next gen gaming hardware because of Nintendo moving into QoL.

Can we please change the title of the thread? Nintendo does not want to "expand" into health, learning, and other QoL markets. Expansion would imply Nintendo is hiring more resources dedicated for this venture. This is false.

Nintendo is simply moving into QoL. They are taking resources away from gaming and working on trying to enter QoL.

Expect less games and a long wait for next gen gaming hardware because of Nintendo moving into QoL.

Where did anyone related to Nintendo ever say or even imply this?

I can only go off what Nintendo has previously done under Iwata as CEO. Its an assumption, but one based off historical evidence.

We really don't know the level of complexity we're going to see in this hardware, and historically Nintendo's had a solid track record in terms of making durable, low-spec and portable devices, which are all things that could very well be applicable to whatever their "non-wearables" end up being. It likely won't be something as expensive or dependent upon pure processing power as their consoles, which are also generally durable if lacking in the graphics department.

It sounds like software will still be a big part of this venture, and it's probably off of the strength of that software (and how it interacts with the hardware) that this will fail or succeed.

But ultimately we're lacking too many details to really talk about it even at that level of specificity.

I don't even fucking know anymore.. Will my 3ds still get games? I understand now my WiiU is doomed but I'm not ready to give up my Nintendo Handheld.

Anth0ny

I'd be sad if I wasn't so sure that Iwata will fuck this up horribly, like he did with Wii U. I have zero faith in that man. None.

I wonder if he'll be gone after this thing bombs worse than Virtual Boy?

Neff

They've been planning on expanding into health products for a while. This emphasises that it's going to be important to them going forward, and that they'll also be focusing on consumer products as well as (likely) healthcare industry partners.

Nintendo is going to continue making games for the 3DS and Wii U.

Correct. While mouth-frothing, ship-abandoning and headless chicken impersonations are par for the course regarding announcements like this on NeoGAF, Nintendo will still be a games company first and foremost. It's what they understand best and make money from.

Top Bottom