• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's DS lineup at E3... "surprises" inside!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
PkunkFury said:
I think if they make it purposefully campy and use cheesey pump-you-up 80s music it could work... like "Eye of the Tiger", or "Walk like an Egyption" for the Cleopatra level

I think new scenarios/backgrounds, as well...

Emotions

koam said:
You're joking right?

Yep i was. :lol
I highly doubt these are all the surprises according to Parish,Matt, Craig & Kobun there will be a lot of surprises , specially Craing there's even double surprises more than the games he played.

ethelred said:
Kirby Air Ride - 692,467
Chibi Robo - 30,000

No.

Aside from that, Chibi Robo is one of the GameCube's very best games and Kirby... is not.

Selling well doesn't make it appreciated. Everyone treats it as the worst game ever, on the basis that it was too simple.

Emotions

A Link to the Past said:
Selling well doesn't make it appreciated. Everyone treats it as the worst game ever, on the basis that it was too simple.

I like Kirby's Air Ride. It has a lot of unlockables
"a la" Smash Bros Melee.

Johnas

Dread, please Nintendo! The others I want (NSMB, Zelda: PH, Castlevania: PoR) I know will be there.

Seriously, disappointment if Dread doesn't show.

ethelred

A Link to the Past said:

It sold twenty-three times more than Chibi Robo in the US alone. Sorry, but it's just absurd to claim that it's more underappreciated. Yes, selling is a component in determining how well something is appreciated -- if only a miniscule number of people buy a game and hordes and hordes of gamers ignore it because of mistaken conceptions about what it is and how it plays and the game is actual one of the platform's very best titles, that is criminal underappreciation.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kirby wasnt as god awful as people make it out to be, but chibi robo isnt just a good game, its great.

PkunkFury

GDJustin said:
I think new scenarios/backgrounds, as well...

ah that's right... I'm hoping they'll keep the characters and styles, and just change the scenarios that wouldn't make sense to the Western audience, like the festival race. It's not like the whole game was stuff we can't relate to. It'd be nice of some stuff could stay consistant acoss the versions

ethelred said:
It sold twenty-three times more than Chibi Robo in the US alone. Sorry, but it's just absurd to claim that it's more underappreciated. Yes, selling is a component in determining how well something is appreciated -- if only a miniscule number of people buy a game and hordes and hordes of gamers ignore it because of mistaken conceptions about what it is and how it plays and the game is actual one of the platform's very best titles, that is criminal underappreciation.

So, you're saying that if the general opinion of Chibi-Robo remained the same, but sold better, it would no longer be underappreciated?

I have NO idea how the Hell you got the idea that the more a game sells, the more appreciated the game is.

rubso

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
So, you're saying that if the general opinion of Chibi-Robo remained the same, but sold better, it would no longer be underappreciated?

I have NO idea how the Hell you got the idea that the more a game sells, the more appreciated the game is.
50 Cent - The Game as an example = 1 million copies :lol , but seriously IMO chibi robo its not that good, bad N64 graphx, bad audio, bad gameplay too.. its a low quality gamecube product..

Emotions

yahso said:
50 Cent - The Game as an example = 1 million copies :lol , but seriously IMO chibi robo its not that good, bad N64 graphx, bad audio, bad gameplay too.. its a low quality gamecube product..

N64 graphics WTF?, anyways your taste = TERRIBLE.
The Audio was excellent too and excellent gameplay......

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
That sounds horrible. Kind of like western adaptations of Anime and Asian film. Just familiar enough to be a cheap obnoxious copy that all of your friends will say "You were geeked so much about "THIS" crap?".

hooooooooooooold on

lets wait and see how it turns out before we hang anyone, shall we?

The music in the Japanese version of ouendan ain't exactly fantastic!

My own preference is that the more cheesy the songs are , the better the game will become. Also - whats to stop the animes being redone by the original artists just with "western" themes?

I'm pissing myself about this game, stop being a big absorbant happy piss mop ! *stamp*

rubso

Banned
Emotions said:
N64 graphics WTF?, anyways your taste = TERRIBLE.
The Audio was excellent too and excellent gameplay......
yeah, that's what i've seen in the game, Chibi robo's graphics doesn't meet gamecube capabilities

A Link to the Past said:
I wish Atlus had nabbed Ouendan up, would have gotten a simple translation and release. :(

Whats it matter. Like has been said before, you can just import the original version. The redone version might turn out good. give it a shot at least.

ethelred

A Link to the Past said:

Yes, sales are a big part of it. ALMOST NOBODY bought Chibi Robo. It's not just a matter of selling, it's a matter of people playing the game. If people aren't playing it, they aren't appreciating it. The game was almost universally ignored. That equals out to it being completely unappreciated.

yahso said:

You have the worst taste in games.

And to think I almost stayed out of this thread. I could have missed the KAR love in!

But yeah, it was great and completely underrated solely because morons think simple=simplistic. Best racer ever.

Emotions

yahso said:
yeah, that's what i've seen in the game, Chibi robo's graphics doesn't meet gamecube capabilities

If Chibi Robo graphics could have been done in N64, then i must be really blind.

ethelred said:
Yes, sales are a big part of it. ALMOST NOBODY bought Chibi Robo. It's not just a matter of selling, it's a matter of people playing the game. If people aren't playing it, they aren't appreciating it. The game was almost universally ignored. That equals out to it being completely unappreciated.

Yeah, silly of me to assume that people hating on a good game for stupid reasons factors more into it being unappreciated than sales.

ethelred

A Link to the Past said:
Yeah, silly of me to assume that people hating on a good game for stupid reasons factors more into it being unappreciated than sales.

ethelred said:

Pretty sure people hated on Chibi Robo for stupid reasons too.

Anyway, I don't care. Your pointless Kirby whinging cannot dampen the joy of this day, for this is Chibi Robo Day. Spread the happiness. :)

ethelred said:
Pretty sure people hated on Chibi Robo for stupid reasons too.

And compare how much - Chibi-Robo was hated on in the sense that they gave it sevens instead of nines like it deserved, while KAR got fives and sixes!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I wonder if they will go back to the pointer system Skip had before for Chibi. That would be a good fit for the DS.

Mook1e

DCharlie said:
hooooooooooooold on

lets wait and see how it turns out before we hang anyone, shall we?

The music in the Japanese version of ouendan ain't exactly fantastic!

My own preference is that the more cheesy the songs are , the better the game will become. Also - whats to stop the animes being redone by the original artists just with "western" themes?

I'm pissing myself about this game, stop being a big absorbant happy piss mop ! *stamp*
And then I went on to say

Mook1e said:
I'm not worried about the Western Music in Ouendon as much as I am the new characters, new storylines, etc.

I'm just trying to avoid as much cheese and corn in my video game diet as possible and the fact that Ouendon deals with cheerleading and varied quirky situations could go very wrong if applied in the wrong way. If the cheering squad remains and the situations/characters are changed, it may not be so bad.

Lets just hope they don't make it TOO westernized in those respects.

I LIKE Japanese cheese, it's just western cheese that, how should I say "scares" me?

I loved the music in Ouendon, it reminded me of my first few years in Japan.

As far as the animes being redone by the original artists, that's just about the only way this localization will remain good enough for me. That and keep the cheering squad the same.
I don't want to see cheesy western cheerleaders talking about "Go!, Fight!"

ethelred

BorkBork said:
I wonder if they will go back to the pointer system Skip had before for Chibi. That would be a good fit for the DS.

Well, I'm certain they'll be able to make it work if they do, and I'm certain the game will be awesome regardless. That being said, I hope not. One of the best parts about Chibi Robo was the free, open-ended nature of it and the total explorability.

Beezy said:
Wasn't this thread less than a page with nothing in it like an hour ago? What happened?

Chibi Robo DS happened. Here are a hundred happy points.

Emotions

Didn't Jonnyram say that the Chibi-Robo director left Skip and is working on a DS game? So that mean we probably have 2 different projects one from Skip and another 1 from the Chibi-Robo's director. Perhaps he's doing the DS version of Chibi-Robo?

BuG

I never played Chibi Robo and, I mean, I want to, but I hope this turns out to be some shitty, unwanted game instead of what's being hyped up and goes on to crush the hurted hearts of everyone in this thread.

bluemax

Banned
Amir0x said:
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 is neat, i liked the first

I wish I could find a copy of the first, I borrowed it for awhile and it was neat but didn't have the money at the time to buy it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Emotions said:
Didn't Jonnyram say that the Chibi-Robo director left Skip and is working on a DS game? So that mean we probably have 2 different projects one from Skip and another 1 from the Chibi-Robo's director. Perhaps he's doing the DS version of Chibi-Robo?
I doubt this is LOL.

Polari

Mook1e said:
I LIKE Japanese cheese, it's just western cheese that, how should I say "scares" me?

I loved the music in Ouendon, it reminded me of my first few years in Japan.

As far as the animes being redone by the original artists, that's just about the only way this localization will remain good enough for me. That and keep the cheering squad the same.
I don't want to see cheesy western cheerleaders talking about "Go!, Fight!"

This post is wrong on so many levels and it drags the whole board down, reinforcing the stereotype that all gamers have an unhealthy obsession with Japan. Please stop.

rubso

Banned
Emotions said:
If Chibi Robo graphics could have been done in N64, then i must be really blind.
58317120060206screen0152qq.jpg

ethelred

yahso said:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2016/58317120060206screen0152qq.jpg

Yeah, there's seriously no way it could've been done on the N64. The characters' appearances are that way deliberately -- it's called a distinctive artistic style. Meanwhile there's an absolutely *insane* level of detail in the gameworld. Take a look at all the tiny, minor touches and details everywhere in that game. It blows the mind to think that the N64 could've done it.

jamesinclair said:
At 49.99, Ill continue to ignore it.

Your loss. It's worth every cent. Chibi Robo = the Majora's Mask of the GameCube (with a healthy dose of Giftpia and Animal Crossing).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Polari said:
This post is wrong on so many levels and it drags the whole board down, reinforcing the stereotype that all gamers have an unhealthy obsession with Japan. Please stop.
It's better than ALttP's constant bickering about the game being changed.

rubso

Banned
ethelred said:
Yeah, there's seriously no way it could've been done on the N64. The characters' appearances are that way deliberately -- it's called a distinctive artistic style. Meanwhile there's an absolutely *insane* level of detail in the gameworld. Take a look at all the tiny, minor touches and details everywhere in that game. It blows the mind to think that the N64 could've done it.
well, wait for it on Nintendo DS and you will be amazed, i'm sure that it will looks like GC version.

ethelred said:
Your loss. It's worth every cent. Chibi Robo = the Majora's Mask of the GameCube (with a healthy dose of Giftpia and Animal Crossing).

Itll be worth every cent at 19.99 as well. And not a very good comparison. The only time I owned MM was on the GC, and then I never finished it.

Mook1e

Polari said:
???

Please spare me. On how many levels is my post wrong? It's my opinion and my taste.
Cry me a river if you think my preference for Japanese cheesy comedy reinforces any stereotype.

jj984jj said:
It's better than ALttP's constant bickering about the game being changed.

Yes, I guess we should have Namco release Katamari with English songs. The fact of the matter is that not every single game needs to be Americanized - the fact that they have to change every single aspect of the game for it to be Americanized shows that they might as well not even bother.

Emotions

yahso said:

The game looks nowhere near that, that's just a blurry screenshot. The game looks great in motion, just like most GC games the screenshots don't do justice in the graphics deparment. GC screenshots always looked terribly.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Polari said:

Well, going with actual male cheerleaders kind of changes the game. Your going from gangsters to guys who couldnt make the football team.

A Link to the Past said:
Yes, I guess we should have Namco release Katamari with English songs. The fact of the matter is that not every single game needs to be Americanized - the fact that they have to change every single aspect of the game for it to be Americanized shows that they might as well not even bother.

Now youre just being cynical :p

Emotions

civilstrife said:
wtf?

everybody is ignoring what could possibly be DS's biggest game yet.

Pokemon anybody?

Pokemon Pearl & Diamond won't be shown at E3.
But we'll probably get localizations of Pokemon Ranger by Hal & the Pokemon dungeon crawlers by Chunsoft at E3.
I highly doubt Nintendo will leave these games for Japan only with shit like Pokemon Dash and Pokemon Channel making it over here.

Top Bottom