• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's DS lineup at E3... "surprises" inside!

ethelred

Emotions said:
Pokemon Pearl & Diamond won't be shown at E3.
But we'll probably get localizations of Pokemon Ranger by Hal & the Pokemon dungeon crawlers by Chunsoft at E3.

I sure hope so. While Mysterious Dungeon games are never my bag, they're still cool enough that I'd like to see them released in America. Ranger, on the other hand, seems like quite a solid game, and I'd like to give that one a play.

Emotions said:
Pokemon Pearl & Diamond won't be shown at E3.
But we'll probably get localizations of Pokemon Ranger by Hal & the Pokemon dungeon crawlers by Chunsoft at E3.

wow... how long is Nintendo going to wait before pushing the win button?

PkunkFury

A Link to the Past said:
Yes, I guess we should have Namco release Katamari with English songs. The fact of the matter is that not every single game needs to be Americanized - the fact that they have to change every single aspect of the game for it to be Americanized shows that they might as well not even bother.

I don't get it

Everyone who cared enough about the Japanese songs has already imported. This is practically a sequal... i.e. you get twice the Ouendan

You have imported this, right?

Emotions

ethelred said:
I sure hope so. While Mysterious Dungeon games are never my bag, they're still cool enough that I'd like to see them released in America. Ranger, on the other hand, seems like quite a solid game, and I'd like to give that one a play.

Well, if SHIT like Pokemon Dash and Pokemon Channel can make it over here and Pokemon Mysterious Red-Blue and Pokemon Ranger being vastly superior to those games can't make it over here, i'll officially say Nintendo sucks for wasting resources in shit like that and not bringing these superior games.

Polari

A Link to the Past said:
Yes, I guess we should have Namco release Katamari with English songs. The fact of the matter is that not every single game needs to be Americanized - the fact that they have to change every single aspect of the game for it to be Americanized shows that they might as well not even bother.

Yeah, that'd be great. Despite what the majority here seems to think, I thought the songs in We Love Katamari (can't speak for the other two titles in the series) were annoying, uninspired, novelty drivel.

PkunkFury

Polari said:
Yeah, that'd be great. Despite what the majority here seems to think, I thought the songs in We Love Katamari (can't speak for the other two titles in the series) were annoying, uninspired, novelty drivel.

We Love Katamari was by far the worst soundtrack of the 3. It doesn't hold a candle to the first soundtrack. I really don't understand what happened with that one... :(

You know, having english music in the north american version of Ouendon isn't going to erase you guys import copies from existence.

Jonnyram

A Link to the Past said:
I know you're being sarcastic, but you're scarily right. There is a huge amount of humour in the songs that the American and European audience won't have understood because of the language factor. I can't really blame Namco because localising the songs would have probably meant a higher degree of effort than the reward they could hope to achieve with such a wacky game, but Nintendo is much more serious about their work than that. Ouendan's story was heavily based on both the music and comic strips. Leaving them in there would mean nothing to most Americans, so it would have no hope, commercially speaking.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PkunkFury said:
We Love Katamari was by far the worst soundtrack of the 3. It doesn't hold a candle to the first soundtrack. I really don't understand what happened with that one... :(
M&MK is the worst, but the first game was definitely the best. And not just because it was a fresh concept, though that did help. :lol

Jonnyram said:
I know you're being sarcastic, but you're scarily right. There is a huge amount of humour in the songs that the American and European audience won't have understood because of the language factor. I can't really blame Namco because localising the songs would have probably meant a higher degree of effort than the reward they could hope to achieve with such a wacky game, but Nintendo is much more serious about their work than that. Ouendan's story was heavily based on both the music and comic strips. Leaving them in there would mean nothing to most Americans, so it would have no hope, commercially speaking.
QFT

Very different situations between Katamari and Ouendan.

A Link to the Past said:
The fourth surprise is bullshit.

"We're localizing Ouendan by changing the entire game". How the fuck is that localizing? You might as well say you're developing Ouendan 2.
It's localizing like turning Panel de Pon into Tetris Attack is localizing. It's localizing like changing much of Donkey Konga's song selection is localizing. It's essentially "Ouendan USA", and it's possible they could release it in Japan as such.

A Link to the Past said:
I'd rather they brought it unAmericanized. It's a matter of the fact that English music doesn't work in a very Japanese game.
That's kinda the point. They're de-Japanizing it to make something new but related. Happens with films all the time, except in the case of a game there's probably much more involvement by the original team.

What you said about an Atlus release... I thought along the same lines. When first playing the game (less than a week ago, mind you), I was struck with the very... Japaneesiness of it. It seemed to me that localization could either go the "do almost nothing" route, just change the text, and be the sort of minor success of some Atlus games. But to really appeal to a wider western audience, it would need a pretty complete overhaul. It seems that's the route they're going.

amodf

Who cares what songs Ouendan US has.

A new game! With new levels! Sooooo much better than a translation. New songs!

Did you hear you can play imported DS games without any sort of modification? It's true!

amodf said:

Did you hear you can play imported DS games without any sort of modification? It's true!

Exactly! MORE OUENDAN PEOPLE! That's all that matters. If you haven't imported it, you should. I did (after The Colonel told me they were changing the songs MONTHS ago. I posted it in the official thread a ton of times, so why the surprise people?), and it' easy to pick up and play.

amodf said:

Import every single DS game from Japan if they come out there first.

Don't want to do that, I assume?

People shouldn't be expected to import to get the original version. The fact of the matter is that it's going to be less interesting, unless they channel deep into American cheesiness and avoid stupid cheesiness.

Also, they could have put their resources towards a sequel with more songs and the original Ouendan cast.

And you people act like the Americanizing of this will make them a significant profit over just a simple translation.

Jonnyram

A Link to the Past said:
Import every single DS game from Japan if they come out there first.
Even better... just download a ROM and try and get people to translate it into English so you don't have to pay for it :p

And you people act like the Americanizing of this will make them a significant profit over just a simple translation.
It's not about profit. They are just localising it properly because most people in America don't understand Japanese language or culture.

Jonnyram said:
Even better... just download a ROM and try and get people to translate it into English so you don't have to pay for it :p

It's not about profit. They are just localising it properly because most people in America don't understand Japanese language or culture.

Well, I'm all that matters, and I understand lots of it. :(

Anyway, I'm going to dislike it for being American until it comes out, and then go into the game with a predetermined set of expectations. Plus, I liked how I didn't have an understanding of words while I played! English will be too distracting, mercy me.

cvxfreak

A Link to the Past said:
People shouldn't be expected to import to get the original version. The fact of the matter is that it's going to be less interesting, unless they channel deep into American cheesiness and avoid stupid cheesiness.

Uh, yes they should.

A Link to the Past said:
If they do a worse job than on the original, it will be worse... yes.

Also, they could have put their resources towards a sequel with more songs and the original Ouendan cast.

Wasn't Ouendan pretty much a bomb in Japan? The fact that they still think the game is worth enough to bother with a complete overhaul on the hope that it takes off outside of Japan is really the best possible news for the continuation of the series. They're giving it a second chance.

8bit

Knows the Score
Morgan Webb's big face apparently said Ouendan will be called Elite Agent Force in an interview that gonintendo linked to.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wasn't Ouendan pretty much a bomb in Japan?

Indeed it was, however after pestering an English friend to play it and being given the "OK, send me a copy" go ahead, I can't find the game anywhere. There were a few copies lying around last month but now it's zero... so FINALLY, 10 months after its release, its 99% sold out.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wasn't Ouendan pretty much a bomb in Japan? The fact that they still think the game is worth enough to bother with a complete overhaul on the hope that it takes off outside of Japan is really the best possible news for the continuation of the series. They're giving it a second chance.

Well, it sold around 80,000. It sold around 22,000 in it's first week, so it had great legs like most DS games. I would say Nintendo atleast made a decent profit off of it. Though not enough to totally rehaul the game, and release it in NA/Europe.

Rocked

Who are Koam and Aponi and why should they be trusted? Just wondered, because nobody's asked for any sources.

jarosh

sp0rsk, where are ya? i wanted to check out your 'old' chibi robo thread, but of course i can't search. got a link?

ndreamer

Have all of you forgotten IMPORTED DS GAMES COST SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN NON-IMPORTED DS GAMES?

depends where you live, i can import from the us+pay for shipping and get it early and it will be still cheaper then getting it at an australian store.

lawnjam

marvelharvey said:
Indeed it was, however after pestering an English friend to play it and being given the "OK, send me a copy" go ahead, I can't find the game anywhere. There were a few copies lying around last month but now it's zero... so FINALLY, 10 months after its release, its 99% sold out.

Try TRU - the one in Sunshine City had loads of copies a few weeks back.

Didnt really read through the thread, but I sure do hope that Mario VS. DK 2 will feature the level editor they cut out of the GBA version.

In fact, that has to be the whole reason for this...except its like...trade and play, maybe even Nintendo Wifi enabled to send levels online.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Does anybody think the male cheer squad concept will stay intact for the U.S. Ouendan? If they get some hot cheerleaders to replace them, it might not be too bad :D

I'm happy with my import version so I'll be staying away from the U.S. one until I see what the songs are. I don't have much confidence that they'll be good.

Wink

You know, you can't go to bed for 9 hours without there being another 5+ page nintendo thread.

I'm very happy about the "new" Ouendan since I played the import version to death.

SnowWolf said:
Does anybody think the male cheer squad concept will stay intact for the U.S. Ouendan? If they get some hot cheerleaders to replace them, it might not be too bad

Did you play through the hard setting?

SnowWolf said:
Does anybody think the male cheer squad concept will stay intact for the U.S. Ouendan? If they get some hot cheerleaders to replace them, it might not be too bad :D

I'm happy with my import version so I'll be staying away from the U.S. one until I see what the songs are. I don't have much confidence that they'll be good.
Naked cheerleaders with vibrating dildos in action. Otherwise, keep the male cheerleaders.

ToastyFrog doesn't seem to mind the changes in Ouendan USA:

A lot of seemingly substantial rumors about secret games are beginning to leak from the rusty bucket that is the media. Stuff like WarioWare Wii, which is, you know, hardly surprising -- seriously, as if Nintendo would say "WELP we have this neat new controller, but I don't really see the point in putting it to use for a series of quirky microgames perfectly suited to its unique functionality!" -- and stuff like a U.S. version of Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, which is considerably more unexpected. Sadly, the rules of NDA mean that I can neither confirm nor deny rumors that it's coming under the name "Elite Beat Agents" and that it's been given entirely new scenarios and music, making it effectively a sequel to one of the best games on DS. Neither can I confirm that these theoretical new scenarios and music appear to be every bit as compelling as those in the original Japanese version of the game.

Top Bottom