• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

It's amazing they are even making more dedicated hardware after 3DS and Wii U. If we have a repetition of this generation? Bye Nintendo as we know it. They're still out to make money I think.
3DS is a ~50 million platform with software that tops the charts in different regions. In the era of mobile devices no less. I'm not surprised that Nintendo wants to keep that thing going.

atr0cious

They should just call it Nintendo's Last Stand because that's what it is. Guys if this doesn't sell then we're entering a brave new era where Nintendo only makes QoL devices and develops some games utilizing their existing IP's for smart devices.

Iwata said they're doing this specifically to sure up their console/handheld divisions. All the kids are growing up on angry birds and whatnot. Gotta get back in their hands while they're young, then push them to the Wii U and 3ds. He even set aside extra time to reiterate it.

Guys' please don't make too big a deal. Iwata specifically said the games will be using standard mobile controls, but they will be connected to the new account system by whatever the NX platform is.

Starship?

818nx01beauty.gif
[/IMG]
I came to post this. Nintendo think a theme song will save them?

fedexpeon

Banned
I hope they copy the Vita model(except the back touch screen) if they making a new handheld.
Big nice screen, compact analog sticks, actual shoulder buttons, and super fast OS.

Please...No more crappy gimmick.

Interesting, looks like they went silent for the last weeks/months to work this all out.

Not sure if I can be excited about the mobile angle in all of this, wait and see.

JoeM86

I hope they copy the Vita model(except the back touch screen) if they making a new handheld.
Big nice screen, compact analog sticks, actual shoulder buttons, and super fast OS.

Because the Vita model is doing well?

They shouldn't drop the second screen on handheld at all. Also, the OS on N3DS is super fast.

There is a 100% chance their next handheld will be dual screen.

tsumineko

The Japanese says "Dedicated Game Machine NX".
So it won't be anything but.

ゲーム専用機NX

AdanVC

Yesterday we we're just hoping for an innocent Nintendo Direct to know more details about Splatoon and stuff. Today, Nintendo revealed the codename of it's new hardware and teams up with a mobile developer to create games on smarthphones.... Nintendo sure knows how to surprise us everytime!

GamerJM

Banned
Yesterday we we're just hoping for an innocent Nintendo Direct to know more details about Splatoon and stuff. Today, Nintendo revealed the codename of it's new hardware and teams up with a mobile developer to create games on smarthphones.... Nintendo sure knows how to surprise us everytime!

We still need a Splatoon release date tho real talk

It's supposed to come out in like two months

FryHole

Well that was a neat little manoeuvre to wrong-foot the inevitable tone of some "Nintendo going mobile!" responses.

Iwata said they're doing this specifically to sure up their console/handheld divisions. All the kids are growing up on angry birds and whatnot. Gotta get back in their hands while they're young, then push them to the Wii U and 3ds. He even set aside extra time to reiterate it.

Guys' please don't make too big a deal. Iwata specifically said the games will be using standard mobile controls, but they will be connected to the new account system by whatever the NX platform is.

This is something I figured out years ago when I saw a 5 year old nephew of mine being a pro at Angry Birds with his dad's iPhone and not knowing who Mario was.

If you ask me, Nintendo took too damn long to make this change.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
NX will probably be some dedicated VC platform + mobile titles

Yeah some sort of all of the above approach that works on Nintendo platforms and mobile and PC I can see happening.... But probably mostly for legacy titles at least to start

fedexpeon

Banned
Because the Vita model is doing well?

They shouldn't drop the second screen on handheld at all. Also, the OS on N3DS is super fast.

In term of quality and technological advancement?
Is this a joke?
The vita model is better at everything. (And model doesn't mean business model)

I don't know about 'super fast', it takes forever going into the setting menu.
I rarely use the store app, but I believe you can't play game while that addon is downloading since hitting home will pop up a warning about blah blah only one app blah blah.
I might be wrong since I haven't touch my 3DS in over a year.

The "X" will be a symbol for the connection between console, handheld, and other Nintendo applications, including lifestyle and health.

E-phonk

Banned
So if I get this right at the moment:
- New handheld hardware mentioned - NX is either it's (code)name / the name of the platform
- DeNa & Nintendo making games that are cross compatibel with android/NX/WiiU/PC
- New games, no ports
- One unified account across all these devices
- Plan is to release multiple games per year for NX platform (this cross compatible platform)
- Nintendo will still release "normal" first party titles that are exlusive to it's own platform

So if I get this right at the moment:
- New handheld hardware mentioned - NX is either it's (code)name / the name of the platform
- DeNa & Nintendo making games that are cross compatibel with android/NX/WiiU/PC
- New games, no ports
- One unified account across all these devices
- Plan is to release multiple games per year for NX platform (this cross compatible platform)
- Nintendo will still release "normal" first party titles that are exlusive to it's own platform

So NX will have smartphone games + the regular nintendo games.

Did they say this? Iwata made it pretty clear they wouldn't directly port anything from Wii U ir 3DS to iOS/Android. What exactly did they say about this?

EDIT: Also, as jonno394 pointed out, yeah they never said it was handheld hardware. I think everyone automatically assumes that because 3DS is getting older, but that was definitely not stated.

JoeM86

Yet another platform... It is really expensive to follow Nintendo.

Being revealed next year, presumably for launch the following year. That puts it 5 years after Wii U and 6 years after 3DS. Standard Nintendo lifespan for a console

GamerJM

Banned
Being revealed next year, presumably for launch the following year. That puts it 5 years after Wii U and 6 years after 3DS. Standard Nintendo lifespan for a console

They could pull a PS4/X1 and release it the same year it's announced.

deleted

If that's not a joke with the Club-Nintendo thing and they'll update the OS of either the Wii U and the 3DS than that's one hell of an announcement.

To team up with a mobile producer for their next platform is quite a big step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom