• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's profit drops for first time in 6 years

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100506-703910.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--After posting a decline in annual group net profit for the first time in six years from slowing sales of its DS handheld and Wii games consoles, Nintendo Co. (7974.OK) said it expects profit and sales to fall again this fiscal year as it plots new products to revive its growth.

The Japanese video game giant said its net profit fell to Y228.64 billion in the fiscal year ended March 31, compared with Y279.09 billion a year earlier.

Revenue fell 22% to Y1.434 trillion, while operating profit dropped 36% to Y356.57 billion.

Nintendo's main hardware platforms are facing slowing sales after several years of rapid growth that pushed the company's results to record highs. Nintendo said sales of the Wii for the last fiscal year came to 20.53 million units worldwide, down 21% from the previous year.

Wario64 said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100506-703910.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--After posting a decline in annual group net profit for the first time in six years from slowing sales of its DS handheld and Wii games consoles, Nintendo Co. (7974.OK) said it expects profit and sales to fall again this fiscal year as it plots new products to revive its growth.

The Japanese video game giant said its net profit fell to Y228.64 billion in the fiscal year ended March 31, compared with Y279.09 billion a year earlier.

Revenue fell 22% to Y1.434 trillion, while operating profit dropped 36% to Y356.57 billion.

Nintendo's main hardware platforms are facing slowing sales after several years of rapid growth that pushed the company's results to record highs. Nintendo said sales of the Wii for the last fiscal year came to 20.53 million units worldwide, down 21% from the previous year.

I wish my revenue would fall to "only" 1.5 trillion.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
so they only made 2,5 billion last fiscal year ?

nintendo going 3rd party confirmed.

ymmv

Banned
Only 3.81 billion dollar profit? If this goes on, Nintendo will have to go third party to make a buck.

Shiggy

cw_sasuke said:
so they only made 2,5 billion last fiscal year ?

nintendo going 3rd party confirmed.

No, they are starting the third party with the 3DS. 1st party - DS, 2nd party - Wii.

Vorador

Banned
120088_med.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Been calling this since the Wii was announced. How many n-fans are going to show up to eat their lunch?
EatCrow1.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What was that hilarious website that would always spin NPD numbers to make it look like Nintendo's doing crappy? They'll be all over this.

Profits dropping = still making a profit. A hefty one in this case. It's not the same as posting losses. Just thought I'd point this out to anyone confused.

Edit- And it's already started.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Andrex said:
What was that hilarious website that would always spin NPD numbers to make it look like Nintendo's doing crappy? They'll be all over this.

Profits dropping = still making a profit. A hefty one in this case. It's not the same as posting losses. Just thought I'd point this out to anyone confused.

Edit- And it's already started.
Bloomberg is a hilarious website.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
People are finally realizing all they do is re-release the same product in different colors?

Doubtful..watch the stock soar when the black wii comes out *sigh*

dorkimoe said:
People are finally realizing all they do is re-release the same product in different colors?

Sigh indeed.
Though, at your post.

quickwhips

Yeah I mean they are still making money I don't see this as a bad thing I mean sooner or later you going to sell less of a product. At least they are still making profits. Nintendo has been doing awesome job as a business. I'm waiting for the wii to get cheaper lol. I love my ds though thing is great.

Gravijah

dorkimoe said:

Yeah look at how many Wii colors there are. There's White, there's black. Compared to the 360 and PS3 which have only had black, white, grey, gunmetal, matte, etc.

Azure J

Vinci said:
It must be nice to wake up in a world in which this is what you worry about.

Pretty much this. I don't have much else to add though, Nintendo's just cleaning shit up too well for me to comprehend and comment on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Yeah look at how many Wii colors there are. There's White, there's black. Compared to the 360 and PS3 which have only had black, white, grey, gunmetal, matte, etc.

Don't forget the bundles!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sales of discretionary products fall during global recession.

Surprise.

Needs some comparison to make any sense at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
And geez, why does Nintendo release slimmer versions of their home consoles all the time with new logos, marketing campaigns, etc? Gawd.

Because they're corporate hoes, obviously! Lololol!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dorkimoe said:

Wait wait wait, was this a Wii = GameCube troll? If it is then bravo cause I missed it the first time. You're very good at the stealth-troll.

Ranger X

but when you still sell double the hardware numbers or any of your competitors and more, I don,t see much a problem really :lol

Rat Salad

Banned
Dave Long said:
The real question is how will their competitors spin this one to their advantage? Creative responses welcome.

I heard Nintendo took a massive dump where Gaf later investigated and to their shock found Sony financials.

Vinci said:
Read the OP one more time please.

What are you blathering on about?
It talks about hardware sales decreasing (because they dont have any games to play) and how they are making new products (games) to revive the sagging hardware sales.

Hence: No games

Gravijah

Onion_Relish said:
It talks about hardware sales decreasing (because they dont have any games to play) and how they are making new products (games) to revive the sagging hardware sales.

You said it's pretty hard to make a profit. They're making huge profits.

Vinci

Danish
The more rational perspective one should take upon reading this story should be: Holy god, they've been increasing their profit for six straight years??

Onion_Relish said:

pepsiBoom.jpg

Steel Cog

Neo Member
Gravijah said:
And why does that crow have a vagina for a mouth?

That's one yella, shiny vagina.

But yeah, I'm used people spinning this into something bad, like LESS PROFIT?! THE END IS COMING FOR NINTENDO 3RD PARTY HARAGHHG DANCE ON ITS CORPSE'.

NewFresh

I dont't see how this is that big of a deal. When a product gets older it will start to sell less, that is why they are releaseing the Black wii bundle for the same price.

There are only so many people out there willing to buy them and with a 70.93 million install base in just a bit over 4 years there is nothing to scoff at.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I dont't see how this is that big of a deal. When a product gets older it will start to sell less, that is why they are releaseing the Black wii bundle for the same price.

There are only so many people out there willing to buy them and with a 70.93 million install base in just a bit over 4 years there is nothing to scoff at.

Exactly, anyone still clinging on to "The Wii is a fad" moto is crazy seriously, with 70m sales under it's belt the Wii has been a raving success.

Top Bottom