• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's profit drops for first time in 6 years

Vinci

Danish
lowrider007 said:
Exactly, anyone still clinging on to "The Wii is a fad" moto is crazy seriously, with 70m sales under it's belt the Wii has been a raving success.

But... no one is saying that. At least I haven't seen anyone seriously suggest it in quite some time. So I think we can stop predicting that someone's going to run into every 'Nintendo not doing quite as exceptionally as before' thread and piss all over the Wii. Yes, it's happened in the past, but... not all that much recently.

Fularu

Banned
dorkimoe said:
People are finally realizing all they do is re-release the same product in different colors?

Doubtful..watch the stock soar when the black wii comes out *sigh*

Go sit in the corner

9ZzWE.png

Steel Cog

Neo Member
Vinci said:
But... no one is saying that. At least I haven't seen anyone seriously suggest it in quite some time. So I think we can stop predicting that someone's going to run into every 'Nintendo not doing quite as exceptionally as before' thread and piss all over the Wii. Yes, it's happened in the past, but... not all that much recently.

Wow. That's weird to hear. Times sure have changed. I should look into old threads similar to this one and have a laugh.

Jokeropia said:
Their operating profit this year is only ~3.5 times bigger than SCE's highest yearly profit ever!

Yeah it's about 3.8 billion USD. Interestingly, it's down a lot more than the net profit. I guess they had fewer currency issues.

Vinci

Danish
Steel Cog said:
Wow. That's weird to hear. Times sure have changed. I should look into old threads similar to this one and have a laugh.

Oh yeah, the 'Wii is a fad' movement has more or less come crashing to a halt. The new complaint is that Nintendo doesn't release enough new IPs, as if anyone honestly gives a shit one way or another.

Somnid

Wii's on year 4, DS is on year 6. Both systems have peaked so it makes sense they aren't making as much as before. It's a lot better than finally becoming profitable because you took too many hits with your hardware.

I guess this is the sign that the time is right for 3DS.

Steel Cog

Neo Member
Vinci said:
Oh yeah, the 'Wii is a fad' movement has more or less come crashing to a halt. The new complaint is that Nintendo doesn't release enough new IPs, as if anyone honestly gives a shit one way or another.
They have enough, I thought. It's just not...so one sided as it used to be, I guess.

There's certainly enough games all-round.

yyr

The software sales are down as well as hardware.

Now that I've been playing video games in high def for 3 years, it is really, really hard to go back, and I think it keeps me from playing on my Wii as much as I otherwise would.

This probably doesn't figure into this a lot, but I can't help but think it makes at least a small difference.

Or it could be that the majority of the people who want a Wii/DS and are willing to pay the current price for it have one already, and a price drop will now be required. All cash cows run out of methane eventually unless you continue to drop the price, right?

donny2112

AstroLad said:
Been calling this since the Wii was announced.

You were calling for sales to eventually slow down after the Wii was outpacing the PS2 by a huge margin? Wow, pretty good, then.

Naruto

I just can't stomach anymore of those "Well, that about wraps it up for Nintendo" sarcastic comments. People, it's overused to the point of annoyance. Please think of other ways of making an amusing comment cause those ones have been around since 2003. Damn..

Naruto said:
I just can't stomach anymore of those "Well, that about wraps it up for Nintendo" sarcastic comments. People, it's overused to the point of annoyance. Please think of other ways of making an amusing comment cause those ones have been around since 2003. Damn..

You have no chance to survive make your time?

Time to drop the prices of the hardware to encourage more software and accessory sales. The prices for all of the current hardware from all three big makers have remained too high for too long.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
You were calling for sales to eventually slow down after the Wii was outpacing the PS2 by a huge margin? Wow, pretty good, then.

Astrolad is so damn good at this.

donny2112

seady said:
The 3DS will bring everything back and more next year.

It could, but best not to bet too heavily on it with how this generation has turned out. :lol

HK-47 said:
Astrolad is so ... good at this.

I know it was AstroLad. It's difficult to ignore just everything he says, though. :lol

Player's Choice is a bad idea, methinks. It just encourages people to wait for price drops, which Nintendo really doesn't need.

I think what Nintendo will do is release discount versions of titles once the new console is announced. That way, especially if Wii 2 or whatever is backwards-compatible, it can encourage sales of Wii games people might have missed. It will also coincide with the Wii's lowest pricepoint, which means new adopters are probably the absolute most price-conscious.

donny2112

timetokill said:
Player's Choice is a bad idea, methinks. It just encourages people to wait for price drops, which Nintendo really doesn't need.

If they're willing to wait two/three years for a price drop, I think that's okay to Nintendo. Again, we're talking about games that sold a lot already, but that aren't really selling anything now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ICallItFutile said:
People who quote OPs annoy me.

Perfect time for the 3DS to come out then I suppose.
people who passive aggressively call out other people on forums annoy me

KAL2006

Banned
could it be piracy thats killing software sales

Wii - hacked to play games off an external hardrive without even modding it.
DS - buy a cheap flash cart and play games of an SD card.

People may argue that the 360 can play pirated games, however many people find it hard to flash the 360 DVD drives, and you also need to burn games on Dual Layer disks which can be time consuming. Also there is a chance you can be band from Live which is one of the main features of the 360.

Nintendo will be looking to release the 3DS, and they will make sure it is unhackable

KAL2006 said:
could it be piracy thats killing software sales of hardcore games

Wii - hacked to play games off an external hardrive without even modding it.
DS - buy a cheap flash cart and play games of an SD card.

probably a good chance I'd guess.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vampire Baseball said:
Printer ran out of ink?

Seriously though, aren't they the only one of the three hardware manufacturers that makes a profit?
afaik, yes, MS and Sony depend on software sales to pick up the slack.

So, yeah, looks like Nintendo times the 3DS launch perfectly.

justchris

Vinci said:
The more rational perspective one should take upon reading this story should be: Holy god, they've been increasing their profit for six straight years??

Nintendo profits dropped to record six year lows.

quickwhips said:
Yeah I mean they are still making money I don't see this as a bad thing I mean sooner or later you going to sell less of a product. At least they are still making profits. Nintendo has been doing awesome job as a business. I'm waiting for the wii to get cheaper lol. I love my ds though thing is great.

Pretty much.

Companies are expected to shrink and expand as time goes. Specially a company like Nintendo, who really focus so much on videogames and little else.

Why are people surprised by this? 6 years of growth is unsustainable, as far as I know. Even the freaking iPod had negative comps when it reached it's saturation point.

Anyway, Nintendo needs to make sure their next move is a good one, cause the Wii and DS won't hold for a couple more years :eek:

donny2112 said:
If they're willing to wait two/three years for a price drop, I think that's okay to Nintendo. Again, we're talking about games that sold a lot already, but that aren't really selling anything now.

Perhaps, but then we can look at the Japanese charts and see Mario Kart Wii back in the top ten again. Or look at the US, where Professor Layton sales soared once Nintendo started an ad campaign featuring it.

I think Nintendo really thinks they can just advertise something to boost sales, and that they'd rather do that than cut prices.

timetokill said:
Perhaps, but then we can look at the Japanese charts and see Mario Kart Wii back in the top ten again. Or look at the US, where Professor Layton sales soared once Nintendo started an ad campaign featuring it.

I think Nintendo really thinks they can just advertise something to boost sales, and that they'd rather do that than cut prices.

Yep.
Besides, Nintendo moves a lot of hardware, and whenever people buy new Nintendo hardware they go look for Nintendo software to go together with it.

A lot of Nintendo games don't chart, but I bet that even nowadays, games like Smash Brawl are still moving a couple tens of thousand units a month.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Continuous profit growth is impossible anyways, but what should not be underestimated is Nintendo's ability at long-term sustainable generation of profit. How many companies can operate for more than a century and have ONE quarter of loss? EVER?

Oh no, Nintendo is printing slightly less money than last year!

I admire the way that they have been able to keep profits up for so many years. When was the last time they even had a loss (profit wise)?

ColtraineGF said:
Oh no, Nintendo is printing slightly less money than last year!

I admire the way that they have been able to keep profits up for so many years. When was the last time they even had a loss (profit wise)?

I'm not sure modern Nintendo has ever actually operated at a loss...

Regulus Tera said:
AND WE HAVE RELEASE LISTS: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100507e.pdf

Kirby Wii will never die! :lol

Doesn't seem like anything new from the last list.

Top Bottom