• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

I want to see the attach rate for "geeks and otaku" versus Nintendo's new buyers. By just offering the option of more storage, I'm betting their overall margins would increase.

Zophar said:
Nintendo has barely evolved in 10 years.

Well, that's hardly true. They've changed drastically, actually, and it's reflected in their amazing domination of the market.

Zophar said:
You'll be hard pressed to argue that Twilight Princess is a better game than Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past, or that Mario Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64, and so on and so forth.

You'll be hard pressed to argue that *any* game is better than Ocarina or Mario 64. What does this have to do with lack of storage? Nintendo makes great games, it's other things about them that are infuriating.

Zophar said:
They hardly even use their own technology in unique and innovative ways, its third parties that are coming up with creative Wii and DS games.

Er...

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
So the marketing guy over at NoE makes an offhand comment and GAF loses it's shit?

:lol :lol :lol

Comeon guys, be smart about this. This guy doesn't have any say in this matter whatsoever. He's just marketing. Marketing in Europe even. Wait and see what NoJ does (if anything) about the storage situation before you bring out the torches and pitchforks. You're embarrassing yourselves here.

fhco

VideoMan said:
So the marketing guy over at NoE makes an offhand comment and GAF loses it's shit?

:lol :lol :lol

Comeon guys, be smart about this. This guy doesn't have any say in this matter whatsoever. He's just marketing. Marketing in Europe even. Wait and see what NoJ does (if anything) about the storage situation before you bring out the torches and pitchforks. You're embarrassing yourselves here.

Pretty sure the pitchforks were brought out a long time ago, this is just something else to add to the heap.

Linkup

devildog820 said:
I want to see the attach rate for "geeks and otaku" versus Nintendo's new buyers. By just offering the option of more storage, I'm betting their overall margins would increase.

The Nintendo Channel records how much storage space you have on your system when you enter the channel, so we know they have the data. Whether they'll show that data is another issue. Make the data public Nintendo.

VideoMan said:
Wait and see what NoJ does (if anything) about the storage situation before you bring out the torches and pitchforks.

angrymob.gif

Jiggy

The "lol it's just NoE" sentiment would pan out in a large majority of cases, but it's not being reflexively dismissed in this particular scenario because the guy is saying something that seems to be right in line with what we've been witnessing for several months now--or arguably even longer. He could still be very wrong, though; that's definitely a possibility.

Edit: This wasn't in response to PataHikari's post above, but just a lot of what's been said throughout this thread.

VideoMan said:
Wait and see what NoJ does (if anything)

How long should we wait and see? 18 months? Maybe I've already waited and I see now that they're doing nothing. Apparently, they're not even willing to go on record as saying "We're working on something", or tell their mouthpieces to say "It's being looked into". That's not promising, wouldn't you say?

Linkup

Leondexter said:
How long should we wait and see? 18 months? Maybe I've already waited and I see now that they're doing nothing. Apparently, they're not even willing to go on record as saying "We're working on something", or tell their mouthpieces to say "It's being looked into". That's not promising, wouldn't you say?

Iwata already said they are working on something.

Opiate

It doesn't matter if this is true or not. It's inappropriate to mock any demographic in your official capacity.

Look, it's not a big deal. I agree with that. I'm not bringing out the pitchforks. But regardless, this is marketing official: his entire job is to get people to be more attracted to the products he promotes. This most definitely does not serve that purpose. Therefore, it is inappropriate.

Speevy

Banned
Let's figure this out.

I would like someone who is a really avid Xbox Live Arcade fan to tell me how much you've spent on XBLA games during the entire generation (estimate).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Speevy said:
Let's figure this out.

I would like someone who is a really avid Xbox Live Arcade fan to tell me how much you've spent on XBLA games during the entire generation (estimate).

I wouldn't describe myself as an avid Live Arcade fan, but Rock Band (and to a lesser extent, GH) DLC has helped push me past the $400 mark.

derder

Speevy said:
Let's figure this out.

I thought there was a thread devoted to that. So far I've given microsoft more than the price of a Wii in DLC and XBLA.

Nintendo? Do you hear that? I want to give you my money, too!

Speevy

Banned
derder said:
I thought there was a thread devoted to that. So far I've given microsoft more than the price of a Wii in DLC and XBLA.

Nintendo? Do you hear that? I want to give you my money, too!

I'm trying to see what kind of revenue is missing out on... I've already posted several times in this topic, so I know what it concerns.

Cowie

Speevy said:
Let's figure this out.

the neogaf automated xbox 360 sales charts can help!
http://joaomgcd.planetaclix.pt/GafGamersLeaderboard.xml

for averages,
$129065 total spent on xbla
spread over 1062 gamers

comes out to an average of $121.53 per person, including people who have had the system since launch to people who registered just this month.

edit: not a direct answer to your question but i think it serves a similar purpose. Sales won't include games that have been purchased but have no achievements unlocked, and its possible that Hexic HD is being counted, despite coming free with all premium+ 360s. DLC isn't counted either as far as I can tell, but thats not really relevant to Wii at this point anyway :X

Speevy

Banned
Well, that's a bit less than I figured, but I guess it's understandable if you're including everyone.

It always amazes me when I read reports of users that have dozens of VC games. I have just a small number because they're all N64 and Wiiware games.

-SM64
-Paper Mario
-OoT
-S&P
-Starfox
-Waverace
-FFCC: MLK
-Baseball Stars 2

That's it, and it leaves me with precious little space for more.

Speevy

Banned
Cowie said:
the neogaf automated xbox 360 sales charts can help!
http://joaomgcd.planetaclix.pt/GafGamersLeaderboard.xml

for averages,
$129065 total spent on xbla
spread over 1062 gamers

comes out to an average of $121.53 per person, including people who have had the system since launch to people who registered just this month.

edit: not a direct answer to your question but i think it serves a similar purpose. Sales won't include games that have been purchased but have no achievements unlocked, and its possible that Hexic HD is being counted, despite coming free with all premium+ 360s. DLC isn't counted either as far as I can tell, but thats not really relevant to Wii at this point anyway :X

Also, thank you for this reply. DLC is another huge missed opportunity.

Avrum

d[-_-]b said:
NoE? Really guys? NoE?
When does anyone listen to them or when do they listen to anyone else?

It has Nintendo in the name, that's all that's needed to grunt and toss shit around these parts.

Linkup said:
Iwata already said they are working on something.

Not exactly. He at least agreed there is a problem, but he didn't say it was being worked on, just that it should be. Just your typical "yes, we're looking into that" answer, most likely. And he obviously didn't pass along any instructions for other company employees to say the same.

jrricky

Banned
This is Nintendo of Europe, the 3rd of all the marketers in the big continents. When NOA says something like this, we start to worry.
even though I have no problems with storage when I could just redownload everything I want to play :p

beef3483

Irregardless of who demands a storage solution, Nintendo is leaving money on the table. And that should be the bottom line as far as they are concerned.

Also, on a scale of 1 to 10, how suprising is to see Amirox in a Nintendo/Wii bashing thread? Seriously, if something caused me so much grief (and it does or he wouldn't constantly whine about it) then I would get rid of it and completely ignore it.

Banned
That's it, I'm done.

I have not been one of the Nintendo fanboys that has supported all their decisions blindly, but I did support buying games from them. Ok, they may be ‘just roms’ but they're legal downloads and it's more convenient with the Wii.

That's the final straw though.

I have already had to delete my N64 and NES games off the machine so that I could download LostWinds, and have enough space for future WiiWare titles.

I don't even think my list of games is that big, and I've finished about 90% of them now.

Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade
Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
R-Type, R-Type III
Sonic 1, 2
Shinobi III, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes
ActRaiser, Axelay, Zelda: Link to the Past
Lost Winds

NES: Zelda, Super Mario Brothers 3
N64: Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time

As there has only been five or six ‘proper’ games worth buying for the system, and it's almost a couple of years old now, I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of games to have bought.

There are still plenty of titles that I have been hoping to see turn up on the Virtual Console—the Genesis Castlevania for example—as I've never played it and I hear it's quite good.

You've got to wonder if the reason they're only releasing one game a week now, if any at all, is because of the limited storage space.

I mean really, how hard would it be for them to release a Nintendo branded thumbdrive to stick on the back of the machine, or patch it so that you can run games off an SD card or use your own thumbdrive? Ok, they won't be able to count on the speed of third party cards, and from doing testing a while back it seems there's quite a bit of variance, but surely the games all load into memory before you actually play them anyway?

jrricky said:
This is Nintendo of Europe, the 3rd of all the marketers in the big continents. When NOA says something like this, we start to worry.
even though I have no problems with storage when I could just redownload everything I want to play :p

1. I'm pretty sure Europe's market is bigger than Japan's.

2. That asshole Tom already said something like that.

Jiggy

andrewfee said:
You've got to wonder if the reason they're only releasing one game a week now [...] is because of the limited storage space.
I doubt it, considering that Europe and Japan are continuing to get two or three games per week with little trouble. Which just makes the whole situation even more inexplicable and frustrating. :/

Edit: Well, in fairness, Europe had fallen behind North America quite a bit for VC in 2007, so to some extent this year has merely been "catch-up." That's certainly no vindication of Nintendo, though.

seat

Don't worry, geeks and otaku. I'm sure Nintendo is in the midst of figuring out the most profitable storage solution for the Wii. Your money will be in their hands soon enough, and you can stop worrying about Nintendo abandoning you and your dollars.

d-_-b said:
NoE? Really guys? NoE?
When does anyone listen to them or when do they listen to anyone else?

Avrum said:
It has Nintendo in the name, that's all that's needed to grunt and toss shit around these parts.

:lol

This is pretty rich coming from the same group of people who turned comments by the Ubisoft UK Forum Manager into a jihad.

Avrum

pete_townshend said:

This is pretty rich coming from the same group of people who turned comments by the Ubisoft UK Forum Manager into a jihad.

I... did? I'm pretty sure I talked a lot of shit about Ubi in general but what else is new? I don't recall flying off the handle at the actual UK forum manager seeing as he was just a forum manager.

And besides, I'm not even condoning what Laurent said as being "right" as I DO want a solution to the storage issue. But some people are flying off the fucking handle calling all other unrelated aspects of Nintendo into question as the result of this particular comment. I mean, give me a break, damn.

d[-_-]b

Banned
pete_townshend said:

Wait wait what? Same group of people? Lulz?
Fanboys what will I do with you guys, trying to stir up shit... lulz...

M3d10n

I believe this is just an excuse to cover up two real issues regarding downloadable games on the Wii:

1) I believe Nintendo fucked up something while designing the Wii's core storage system. Either the files are stored unencrypted internally, or the way the OS interfaces with the storage hardware prevents it from executing code from elsewhere without some design change (maybe even requiring the games themselves to be updated to support it).

2) Nintendo doesn't want people buying large amounts of downloadable software for a series of possible reasons. It's pretty obvious we won't be able to transfer downloadable Wii games to Nintendo's next console, since the games are tied to the hardware, not to an online account, and that might bite Nintendo in the ass down the line. Also, they don't get a cut as big as the one from retail from downloadable games, so they prefer people don't stray away from buying physical media.

Linkup

Leondexter said:
Not exactly. He at least agreed there is a problem, but he didn't say it was being worked on, just that it should be. Just your typical "yes, we're looking into that" answer, most likely. And he obviously didn't pass along any instructions for other company employees to say the same.

Yeah, he probably did say something along those lines.

Also just before it he said something about the storage issue being a small number so the NOE guy is saying something similar. Of course, he probably shouldn't have used those words.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, but this guy is right. Only people who have enough game saves and obscure ass CD shooters to fill up the memory are geeks and otaku.

Not that they shouldn't work on it anyways but the people they are pissing off are both hooked on the Nintendo drug and make up a pretty small minority of the userbase.

Yoboman

Gold Member
I love the stolkholm syndrome displayed by some of the N-fans in this thread. "It's my fault he beats me, really." :lol

I really find it funny that a supposed offhand statement (not even remotely offical) from some NoE rep is more important to Nintendo's "offical stance" then Iwata's statement.

GCX

When some NoE pr guy speaks, I'm always reminded by that "there will absolutely not be DS redesign" comment they made a day before Nintendo Japan announced DS Lite. :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pureauthor said:
*shrugs*

No Wii purchase from me until this gets sorted out. Simple enough.

You only really play portable games anyways!

It's like Jiggy saying "No 3D games for me until Spain's mission to Mars" is successful.

beef3483

Yoboman said:
I love the stolkholm syndrome displayed by some of the N-fans in this thread. "It's my fault he beats me, really." :lol

Read the thread again and quit promoting stereotypes. I don't see a single person endorsing the fact that Nintendo will not offer a storage solution.

Jiggy

Man God said:
You only really play portable games anyways!

It's like Jiggy saying "No 3D games for me until Spain's mission to Mars" is successful.
I do buy 3D games--maybe even as often as every eleven months or so! :D It's just that each one has to be either 1) an arcade racer, 2) a rail shooter (which I would personally consider a 2D game anyway, but eh), or 3) a game in a series that used to be 2D (so that I can play it and provide my most completionist thoughts on why it was better off staying in 2D ;_;).

Top Bottom