• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's stance on Wii storage: only "geeks and otaku" want that addressed

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
and Nintendo fans often wonder why their console of choice is so frequently trolled.
The king has arrived! Don't you own like every single goddamned Wii related thing? And constantly go off about how awful they are? Way to bring them down.
EmCeeGramr said:
Have you ever noticed just how gosh darn disagreeable you are? Maybe like... always?
So? Look what I'm dealing with here.

Amir0x said:
and Nintendo fans often wonder why their console of choice is so frequently trolled.

Trolls can troll this aspect of the hardware. Everything else about it makes sense in a fiscaly responsible way. And I like waggle.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
akachan ningen said:
Some of us aren't happy playing shovelware and rehashes. If that works for you fine, but don't lump everyone together.

Then dont play shovelware or rehashes. I've managed to avoid both

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:

Stupid business decisions? Well wonderful, Sony and MS fans can join right in!

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
The king has arrived! Don't you own like every single goddamned Wii related thing? And constantly go off about how awful they are? Way to bring them down.

So? Look what I'm dealing with here.

It's irrelevant how much I own. I can own every last thing ever created for the platform, the end result is that Nintendo is five hundred years behind the competition and has been since the start of this generation. And though geeks and otaku may be vocal, that is because they're the only ones who care enough about the hobby to actually realize the near infinite superior alternatives or options that are provided on competing platforms. Ignorance about a problem does not make it no problem at all.

One doesn't lose the right to criticize an atrocious decision because you've purchased more than a company imagined you would.

A.) It's horrible business.
B.) It's really short sighted, and limits many possible great ways to communicate with the consumer to buy MORE stuff, the point of a business.
C.) It alienates a core segment of their business, which no matter how many casuals enter the market is still one important chunk of the market.

I believe you thought you had a good point somewhere between your goading sarcasm, but you probably lost it in your attempt to be clever.

darscot

akachan ningen said:
Read properly. I said RELATIVELY rough times. I know they've always made money but there was a time where they were getting killed by Sony in sales, and they tried new things to compete.

Yeah the geeks and otaku kept the a float, it wasn't those huge piles of cash. Relatively rough times for Nintendo is better them most companies dream about. Who gives a shit if Sony killed them in sales who wins in the profit margin? Nintendo is in the money making business and they always have been.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
fhco said:
This just isn't true. We've already established that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of content to fill up the drive, channels and saves included. I ran out of space about five months ago, and my Wii has literally been unplugged since (I took it down to send it in for the GPU repair, but I don't even have the motivation to do that :\ ). I didn't have that much content, and I had spent less than $100 on the VC, which is the equivalent of two Wii games. My interest in buying DLC from Nintendo ended when I ran out of storage, and I know I'm not alone. The problem will only get worse on a larger scale with more people, but the question is will enough people be affected by it for Nintendo to do something about it. Anyway we're all just repeating ourselves at this point; like I said before, my interest in the console will be renewed when they fix this, but until then I don't even feel like boxing the thing up to get it fixed.
If you're that fickle, more power to you. I'm just blown away by the logic of some of you people.

Yagharek

If the original XBox had 8GB of available space, surely a similar sized HDD or flash solution would have been affordable to put in the Wii. And even 8GB or so at the lower end of the space market would be plenty of room as far as VC/Wiiware titles go.

darscot said:
Yeah the geeks and otaku kept the a float, it wasn't those huge piles of cash. Relatively rough times for Nintendo is better them most companies dream about. Who gives a shit if Sony killed them in sales who wins in the profit margin? Nintendo is in the money making business and they always have been.

you're missing the point. stop talking to me.

angelfly said:
When the sales start to suffer they'll start to care.

If Nintendo wanted download sales right now they'd be marketing it. It's evident that they want to keep this service low-key for the time being.

Jokeropia

akachan ningen said:
Some of us aren't happy playing shovelware and rehashes. If that works for you fine, but don't lump everyone together.
Nintendo have released neither of those things, so everything works out!
Zophar said:
With the exception of Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime it seems that their first party efforts have slid backwards ever since the N64. Its things like these that really reaffirm that they have no interest in catering to their actual fanbase.
They haven't, so your conclusion is false.

Look people, I don't care if you're happy with Nintendo's games or not, but stop trying to pretend that their fans aren't.

RevenantKioku

Amir0x said:
It's irrelevant how much I own. I can own every last thing ever created for the platform, the end result is that Nintendo is five hundred years behind the competition and has been since the start of this generation and though geeks and otaku may be vocal, that is because they're the only ones who care enough about the hobby to actually realize the near infinite superior alternatives or options that are provided on competing platforms. Ignorance about a problem does not make it no problem at all.

One doesn't lose the right to criticize an atrocious decision because you've purchased more than a company imagined you would.

A.) It's horrible business.
B.) It's really short sighted, and limits many possible great ways to communicate with the consumer to buy MORE stuff, the point of a business.
C.) It alienates a core segment of their business, which no matter how many casuals enter the market is still one important chunk of the market.

I believe you thought you had a good point somewhere between your goading sarcasm, but you probably lost it in your attempt to be clever.
Of course it's irrelevant. But it's funny.
Go ahead, criticize away! It's not even about your bullet points being on point or not!

HUELEN10 said:
Yeah I can, and I have, and I did not buy many at all, maybe combine with WiiWare, 15 in total. The rest were gifts. 15 DLC games is not that much money.

It's not a lot of money, but it sure is a lot of games. I had about 20 games in the NES's entire lifetime. The VC is a year and a half old and you already have 15 games? And you might have one or two Wii games and possibly other systems as well... that adds up. How often do you play? I am not making judgments or anything, that just seems like a whole lot of games for a short period of time.

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Of course it's irrelevant. But it's funny.
Go ahead, criticize away! It's not even about your bullet points being on point or not!

Of course I'll criticize away, since that's literally the only viable option as Nintendo continues down this retarded road of no storage solution. Those who try to make excuses for it are just here for laughing at.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This thread is a fucking ED article waiting to happen.

Of course, this is GAF so I'm not surprised by the reaction. :lol

Barakov

Well a hard drive would only be logical. But........:lol

The issue might will never be addressed. So a bag full of SD cards is the Wii's harddrive solution for this console cycle?

Jokeropia said:
Nintendo have released neither of those things, so everything works out.

mario kart isn't a rehash? It was even managed to be worse than double dash. brawl is so different from melee? Mario Strikers was completely new? The upcoming Sluggers is completely original? yeah, nintendo have released no rehashes at all.

Shovelware is obviously the domain of the third parties, not nintendo but it's still there.

Speevy

Banned
I have an idea.

Sony never releases any downloadable games, but you can use 250 GB drives. Nintendo has hundreds of games both for download and in development, but there's no space.

Let's discontinue the Wii and port all that content to the PS3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
akachan ningen said:
mario kart isn't a rehash? It was even managed to be worse than double dash. brawl is so different from melee? Mario Strikers was completely new? The upcoming Sluggers is completely original? yeah, nintendo have released no rehashes at all.

Shovelware is obviously the domain of the third parties, not nintendo but it's still there.

Dont be stupid. Its not like most of the games this gen arent fresh at all. Brawl a rehash? You dont know the meaning of the word

Jokeropia

akachan ningen said:
mario kart isn't a rehash?
Nope. Lots of new characters and vehicles plus an awesome online mode.
akachan ningen said:
It was even managed to be worse than double dash.
Nope.
akachan ningen said:
brawl is so different from melee?
More polished, bigger, online, yep that's different enough.
akachan ningen said:
Mario Strikers was completely new? The upcoming Sluggers is completely original?
Haven't played either so I cannot comment.

HUELEN10

Mariah Carey said:
It's not a lot of money, but it sure is a lot of games. I had about 20 games in the NES's entire lifetime. The VC is a year and a half old and you already have 15 games? And you might have one or two Wii games and possibly other systems as well... that adds up. How often do you play? I am not making judgments or anything, that just seems like a whole lot of games for a short period of time.
I do not have 15 VC games, I just payed for that many. Truth be told, I have 63. I also own quite a few Wii games, about only 6 I have payed for. In all, I have spent less than 400 USD for my Wii library though it is pretty huge. I also got into gaming in 2002 so getting old hardware and software is too expensive for me, so VC lets me legally own these games. That is what makes it personally frustrating for me, because I would like to have them easy to access, but I can't. Wii is also my most played current gen console, so I play it a lot. Most VC games can be beaten in a short time if you put the effort into them.

RevenantKioku

Amir0x said:
Of course I'll criticize away, since that's literally the only viable option as Nintendo continues down this retarded road of no storage solution. Those who try to make excuses for it are just here for laughing at.
Then laugh away. I just think a lot of you are acting a lot more butthurt over a really simple situation, but then again like I said, look what we're dealing with here.

You're going to tell me that people giving Nintendo more money than they'd expect per customer and then going WELL I'M NEVER GONNA GIVE NO MORE YOU FUCKS! isn't funny? C'mon.
It's been a long time since my business classes so hey, I could be in the wrong here, but I'm still giggling! :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mefisutoferesu said:
Nintendo's probably worried about VC eating away at Wii game sales. Can't attract new games to the platform if everyone's buying old ones.

Yeah I'm suuuure that the problem...:lol

Jirotrom

TheGreatDave said:
This geek isn't buying any more stuff from the Wii Shop. You win, Nintendo.
agreed... I actually have refused to purchase a single title until there is a hard drive solution.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jokeropia said:
Nope.Nope. More polished, bigger, online, yep that's different enough.
Haven't played either so I cannot comment.

Strikers was much improved over the GC one. Online, more strategy needed, unique teammates, interesting field conditions

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Then laugh away. I just think a lot of you are acting a lot more butthurt over a really simple situation, but then again like I said, look what we're dealing with here.

It's a "simple" situation in that there's only one right way to look at it: Nintendo is being fucking retarded. Providing a storage solution will please one base, and can be completely ignored by the other. And it's money for them. And it provides another outlet for them to market and give demos and allow people to download more games.

It's retarded, plain and simple

RevenantKioku said:
You're going to tell me that people giving Nintendo more money than they'd expect per customer and then going WELL I'M NEVER GONNA GIVE NO MORE YOU FUCKS! isn't funny? C'mon.
It's been a long time since my business classes so hey, I could be in the wrong here, but I'm still giggling! :D

BREAKING: Costumers who dedicate the most resources to a company are also the most likely to be frustrated when their completely reasonable complaints are ignored.

Also BREAKING: Nintendo doesn't realize why alienating the customers who give them a fuckton of money is bad!

Third time BREAKING: RevenantKioku makes a snarky comment while missing the point a fourth time.

Jokeropia said:
Look people, I don't care if you're happy with Nintendo's games or not, but stop trying to pretend that their fans aren't.

HK-47 said:
Dont be stupid. Its not like most of the games this gen arent fresh at all. Brawl a rehash? You dont know the meaning of the word

Talking to people like you is like talking to a brick wall. You will never admit that anything nintendo does is anything short of complete brilliance. I don't know why I bother.

fhco

RevenantKioku said:
If you're that fickle, more power to you. I'm just blown away by the logic of some of you people.

Fickle? I have a limited amount of time to spend playing games. While I have enjoyed a few games for the Wii, the biggest reason I bought the thing was for the VC and WiiWare. So, now that those two services have become completely gimped for me, what am I supposed to do? Instead of raging against Nintendo or fucking around with transferring data every other time I power the system on, I'll just play something else on a different console. If Nintendo as a company is happy with a chunk of their customers doing that then that is their prerogative.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
akachan ningen said:
Mario Strikers was completely new? The upcoming Sluggers is completely original? yeah, nintendo have released no rehashes at all.

Jokeropia commented on the others, but as far as Strikers is concerned it isn't. Sluggers seems to be the Nintendo's own first cash-in title, actually.

Jokeropia

akachan ningen said:
Talking to people is like talking to a brick wall. You will never admit that anything nintendo does is anything short of complete brilliance. I don't know why I bother.
:lol

I accept your concession.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
akachan ningen said:
Talking to people like you is like talking to a brick wall. You will never admit that anything nintendo does is anything short of complete brilliance. I don't know why I bother.

Ok so you are an idiot. There are concrete improvements on those games over their last iteration, though MK suffers from alot of problems that shouldnt exist. And I came into this topic because I think Nintendo is stupid and should prove a storage solution.

That plain enough for you, or do you still not understand?

RevenantKioku

Amir0x said:
It's a "simple" situation in that there's only one right way to look at it: Nintendo is being fucking retarded. Providing a storage solution will please one base, and can be completely ignored by the other. And it's money for them. And it provides another outlet for them to market and give demos and allow people to download more games.

It's retarded, plain and simple
We all know how Nintendo works. When it becomes a serious situation, it will be addressed. As it stands, it really isn't.

BREAKING: Costumers who dedicate the most resources to a company are also the most likely to be frustrated when their completely reasonable complaints are ignored.

Also BREAKING: Nintendo doesn't realize why alienating the customers who give them a fuckton of money is bad!

Third time BREAKING: RevenantKioku makes a snarky comment while missing the point a fourth time.
I know what the point is. And I know what the funny is. And the funny thing is you will continue to go on about your complaints, valid as they may be. And you will continue to have newer issues that you demand fixed at this moment. And you will call Nintendo retarded. And you will call the people who refuse to get up in arms like you fanboys and slaves to the system.
And then you will go out and buy more Nintendo stuff, despite your internet claims to the adverse.
And that's why Nintendo is winning.

Amir0x

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
We all know how Nintendo works. When it becomes a serious situation, it will be addressed. As it stands, it really isn't.

Except it's pretty serious, though. Outside of that, I totally agree with you.

RevenantKioku said:
I know what the point is. And I know what the funny is. And the funny thing is you will continue to go on about your complaints, valid as they may be. And you will continue to have newer issues that you demand fixed at this moment. And you will call Nintendo retarded. And you will call the people who refuse to get up in arms like you fanboys and slaves to the system.
And then you will go out and buy more Nintendo stuff, despite your internet claims to the adverse.
And that's why Nintendo is winning.

Well, there's only one word for those choosing to defend this. It's self-evident though, that's why I don't even need to drop the words.

Taichu

So GAF isn't going to be buying anymore Virtual Console titles? We'll see how long that lasts after Earthbound comes out. :lol Nintendo is playing us all (including me).

Amir0x said:

The thing you should keep in mind with this statement is that you're talking about the customers (pretty sure you didn't mean 'costumers') that dedicate the most resources per capita. Nintendo certainly isn't receiving most of their resources from these customers. I'm sure they're thinking, 'Hmm, should we prioritize the million that are going to download 15 (?!) games in a year or the 10 million that'll download 4 games in the same timeframe?"

To put it one way, some of my most loyal, diehard followers are in the Phillippines. But I've only ever gone to the Phillippines once in my career, because no matter how devoted they are, the Filipino market is tiny and is never going to take priority over the US, Europe, and Japanese markets. It's a shame but that's just the way it is.

I can really understand why this is frustrating but it makes sense and is not necessarily a bad business move. I hope Nintendo provides a solution very soon (and calls it "The Fridge" :lol )

HUELEN10

Taichu said:
So GAF isn't going to be buying anymore Virtual Console titles? We'll see how long that lasts after Earthbound comes out. :lol Nintendo is playing us all (including me).
Keep in mind that just like not everybody has storage issues, not everyone is a big enough fan of the mother series. I bought the GBA games, so I am not big enough to buy it on VC.

HK-47 said:
Ok so you are an idiot. There are concrete improvements on those games over their last iteration, though MK suffers from alot of problems that shouldnt exist. And I came into this topic because I think Nintendo is stupid and should prove a storage solution.

That plain enough for you, or do you still not understand?

No, I don't understand angry fanboy name-calling. Can you explain it to me?

Zophar

Jokeropia said:
Nintendo have released neither of those things, so everything works out!
They haven't, so your conclusion is false.

Nintendo has barely evolved in 10 years. Mario is the same game as it was in 1996. Zelda is the same game it was in 1998. Mario Kart is the same game it was since 1997. You'll be hard pressed to argue that Twilight Princess is a better game than Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past, or that Mario Sunshine is a better game than Mario 64, and so on and so forth. I know you'll argue that bells and whistles make it "evolution" yadda yadda yadda but the fact is all they do is paint the same game with a new coat of paint. They are fundamentally the exact same as they were upon debut following the same formula ad infinitum.

See, there's no incentive for Nintendo *to* evolve. They're masters at budgeting, they always come out in the black and all they need to do is slap either Mario or Zelda in the title and it will sell like hotcakes. Nintendo's first party is effectively immune to the competition. They're comfortable, they can coast just fine and not have to worry about their bottom line. They hardly even use their own technology in unique and innovative ways, its third parties that are coming up with creative Wii and DS games.

Top Bottom