• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the beta before, so I was thrilled to start the full game yesterday. I took me a whole lot of tries to take the first boss down (the ball throwing demon). One thing I noticed in the beta - which returns in the first proper area - is that it's not that hard to make it through the level proper, but the boss is a complete asshole that tears you to shreds in no time. Of course this is true in Souls games as well, but Nioh gives you way less margin for error. I also thought my damage output was ok against normal enemies, until I faced the boss that has tons of health. My kickass spear immediately turned into a toothpick. I did buy the lightning buff already, so that was a small help.

Going for a spear build, been mostly focusing on body as a result. Any tips/skills are welcome. I bought one skill yesterday that was useful against humans: sweep the leg, thrust when down. Easy damage that.

A few questions about ki pulse: when you focus on pulsing, is it easy for you to be blocking as well? I ask because I'm having a hard time combining blocking/dodging ánd pulsing when there's a boss demon stomping around. I find that when I stop blocking and just dodge/pulse, things often go better.

Second: there are skills that give you a ki bonus when you change stance after a pulse. So do you press R1 and then R1+stance? Or is a stance change an automatic pulse? I don't see myself buying those skills because I'd probably be too nervous in a boss situation to pulse and stance change immediately afterwards. I have a hard enough time to remember pulsing as it is. After hundreds of hours in the Souls games, ki pulse is something I really have to get used to.

That's it for now. Sucks that Zelda comes out in a few days and that I won't be able to finish Nioh immediately, but I already know I'll be finishing this game multiple times. This 60 fps action glory feels incredible.
I never used the stance change Ki pulse things, but as a general rule I found that going in with a repeated combo or two or three or four after a Ki pulse was nearly always great if staggers an enemy. Even bosses. Getting that stamina bar low then pummelling them before they recharge was incredibly powerful all through the game. There are exceptions, of course, but you'd be surprised at how often this works.

WESMAN

Banned
Finally, finally beat
Nue in the final omnyo challenge. Earlier in the game I had had help with a summon.
. Really felt like this boss had my number, and even then this took 10-15 tries. It had prior been the only one I hadn't solo'd.

Did anyone else have as much trouble with this boss?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't know what happened, but I got bored of the game so quickly.

Maybe Dark Souls spoiled me but the level designs seem so lazy compared to a Souls game. It's a "Mission" style game which I don't really like, I hate going back to the same locations for no reason, in Souls games there's always a reason, unlocking new paths, discovering them, etc.

After the fifth mission I stopped caring about the game, it's just caves and uninteresting landscapes...

Anyone else experience this?

I fizzled out somewhere in Region 4(just over halfway?). This is after a good 30+ hours at least given I have finished all sub-missions up to my current progress, but the lacking enemy variety and similar level layouts wore me down much faster than anticipated.

I adored that first 15-20 hours though, but the creative content really peaked too early and now I am struggling to find motivation to load up the game anymore. Probably will revisit this summer though, assuming I can find a spare moment between the thick release schedule.

Freeman76

In NG+, you should pick a weapon and upgrade it to +10. If whatever weapon you have is godlike, then obviously you won't find something that will make you switch off it when you could just upgrade your weapon to +10. I'm not really sure what you want.

I was under the impression it was based on drops and you gradually find better and better quality weapons like in the first playthrough. I clearly dont understand wtf they did with the loot system after you clear the game the first time

You can prepare Sloth I, II and III at the same time, if you have the Onmyo slots for them. This gives you 6 uses of the spell per rest. Every other spell and Ninjutsu with a set number of prepared "charges" works the same way. Higher levels of the same skill gives you the possibility of preparing multiple uses of the same ability and the II and III versions cost less Jutsu slots. So if you only want to have 2 uses of Sloth, taking Sloth III would give you those two uses with the least number of Onmyo slot allocations.

Lol, this has been the case since all the demos :D You should know this stuff by now. The only advantage of just taking Water II over Water I is that Water II takes less Onmyo slots to prepare.

I...kind of did for Ninjutsu stuff but somehow was fully under the impression that II just meant a power-up! I've been playing the demos AND the game up until region
under this assumption so far haha. Goddamnit!

I was under the impression it was based on drops and you gradually find better and better quality weapons like in the first playthrough. I clearly dont understanf wtf they did with the loot system after you clear the game the first time

Can I ask what your current weapon is and what + it's at?

Its Ningen Mukotsu Level 150, +0
Rasatsu Kusarigama Level 150, +0

Okay, well, I'm not sure how far you are into NG+, but you should be finding weapons that are +1 or higher (more commonly on bosses, especially duels), and those should have objectively higher attack than your weapons (assuming the same weapon type, since obviously a +2 or 3 weapon of a type that you don't have the stats for won't have as high attack as a weapon type you've got the scaling stat for).

If your measuring stick is the attributes that are on your weapons, then maybe you won't find anything better without reforging the attributes of weapons that are +1 or higher.

If you're attached to your Ningen Mukotsu and Rasatsu, then the loot is there for you to use as fodder to make them higher than +0.

Have you not been finding weapons/armor that are +1~higher?

I was thinking about getting PS4 Pro for this, I've been playing on regular PS4 so far. Is there a 1080p 60fps mode on pro? If anyone is playing on pro could you list game modes available for this game.

Pro has two modes:
1080p at 60 fps
or
2160c at 30 fps

There is some dynamic resolution scaling but it's rare and to be honest I never noticed it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I was under the impression it was based on drops and you gradually find better and better quality weapons like in the first playthrough. I clearly dont understand wtf they did with the loot system after you clear the game the first time
You still can find better +(#) divines but the highest that drops on NG+ I believe is a 150(+5-6) reported so far. It is quite time consuming it seems to get your weapon maxed out at +10 divine. I'm still rocking my old 150(+2) Katana that dropped from my first completion of the game lol.

I fizzled out somewhere in Region 4(just over halfway?). This is after a good 30+ hours at least given I have finished all sub-missions up to my current progress, but the lacking enemy variety and similar level layouts wore me down much faster than anticipated.

I adored that first 15-20 hours though, but the creative content really peaked too early and now I am struggling to find motivation to load up the game anymore. Probably will revisit this summer though, assuming I can find a spare moment between the thick release schedule.

I also started burning out around region 4. I'm going to mainly focus on the main missions now and only a do a few sub missions. The sub missions are getting quite repetitive, unfortunately.

WESMAN

Banned
I also started burning out around region 4. I'm going to mainly focus on the main missions now and only a do a few sub missions. The sub missions are getting quite repetitive, unfortunately.

That feels like the concerns overall, somewhat. I'm muscling near endgame, I think, and man I'm more close to hair running through areas than fighting each and every enemy. It feels like all the gameplay mechanics had their load blown by region 2/3, and the environments/enemy designs largely as well.

It's ashame because the core gameplay feels so smooth, and as delightfully complex and satisfying as any game I've played in the past decade.

One problem with all the side missions is once you hear about green gear all your loot becomes shit and you just want to race to the end

Dark Souls buries unique and powerful items deep in side areas offering much better incentive to explore. That's one disadvantage of a Diablo loot system

Kaako

Felium Defensor
When I coop, no one Ki Pulses, and even less people Flux.

Why?

Which mission do you mean? I completed the game, and no + weapons dropped :(
I believe it was one of the last 2 side missions
Nioh: The two kings.
Dropped a divine 150(+2) Nami for me. I think this happened because I beat the final mission first and did that side mission afterwards lol.

Deku Tree

I summoned a player who was one hitting everything in an NG+ twilight mission. Player was also running around with like 10% health the whole time and not healing. Got his health down low right at the start and then never healed and one hit every single enemy they swung at.

I wonder if they were running some kind of a low health perk build?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I never used the stance change Ki pulse things, but as a general rule I found that going in with a repeated combo or two or three or four after a Ki pulse was nearly always great if staggers an enemy. Even bosses. Getting that stamina bar low then pummelling them before they recharge was incredibly powerful all through the game. There are exceptions, of course, but you'd be surprised at how often this works.

Yeah I already have the kick and it's pretty useful to get the ki down. In the beta i bought the ki regen debuffs for enemies and I want to get those asap as well, pretty useful.

Flux is a skill you can buy. You get a big chunk of stamina/ki back when you switch stances at the same time as you ki pulse.

I asked this in my previous post but someone clarify this, is fluxing just pressing weapon stance at pulse time, or is it R1, then R1+stance button?

I summoned a player who was one hitting everything in an NG+ twilight mission. Player was also running around with like 10% health the whole time and not healing. Got his health down low right at the start and then never healed and one hit every single enemy they swung at.

Probably infinite living weapon. You go to critical hp and then never have to heal.

Yeah I already have the kick and it's pretty useful to get the ki down. In the beta i bought the ki regen debuffs for enemies, and I want to get those asap as well, pretty useful.

I asked this in my previous post but someone clarify this, is fluxing just pressing weapon stance at pulse time, or is it R1, then R1+stance button?

You do it in one input. R1+stance button still ki pulses.

Baalzebup

You can build one around the Fanatics armor.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So jealous
Sadly I still do shit damage cause build is not optimized. :(
Attack at 1120+ & multiplier at 730 I think.
I've co-op'd with people of lower or same level who hit like fucking semi-trucks with each swing. I get jealous and a bit disheartened but am not willing to put the time to become a walking god in this game.

Trying to do flux breaks my brain. No one using pulse is a bit weird considering it is very integral part of the game.

I've been going to town with Flux II, it took a bit of forcing myself to do it after finishing each combo essentially and developing new tactics based on it but it was definitely worth it.

What I've been finding myself doing if I want to go back to my original stance, since you don't get the bonus for going back to the original stance, I go for example:

Low stance to Mid to High back to Low, which looks like R1 (hold the entire time) + square, then triangle, then X again and keep going. There was someone after you asking how exactly it works so I figured I'd type it out.

It becomes second nature to 'finish' a string of attacks with that button combination, or a variation if you're in a different stance, just like all the other mechanics available. I think it's extremely useful.

No, you keep R1 held down. Pressing R1 the first time triggers your pulse and while holding down you hit whatever other stance you want to switch to which gives you the bonus after you've already gained your originally spent amount of Ki back when hitting R1 originally. You can also unlock Flux II which I talked about in my previous post. It let's you change two stances for two bonuses essentially.

I think it comes very naturally, but then again my playstyle since the beginning involved wanting to change stances around during fights just for the badassery of it.

Deku Tree

When all the difficult enemies have major hyper armor and hit hard through all your attacks, then during those fights doing a ki pulse or changing stances during a ki pulse is kind of point less. You hit until they are getting ready to attack and then you dodge, and then get your ki back while waiting for the next opportunity to attack. Ki Pulse is kind of point less during the challenging battles most of the time.

Sadly I still do shit damage cause build is not optimized. :(
Attack at 1120+ & multiplier at 730 I think.
I've co-op'd with people of lower or same level who hit like fucking semi-trucks with each swing. I get jealous and a bit disheartened but am not willing to put the time to become a walking god in this game.

I'm just impressed you beat that mission. Saw one streamer getting wrecked by it and haven't even attempted it

Also I'm only level 100 and totally unoptimized

myco666

I've been going to town with Flux II, it took a bit of forcing myself to do it after finishing each combo essentially and developing new tactics based on it but it was definitely worth it.

What I've been finding myself doing if I want to go back to my original stance, since you don't get the bonus for going back to the original stance, I go for example:

Low stance to Mid to High back to Low, which looks like R1 (hold the entire time) + square, then triangle, then X again and keep going. There was someone after you asking how exactly it works so I figured I'd type it out.

It becomes second nature to 'finish' a string of attacks with that button combination, or a variation if you're in a different stance, just like all the other mechanics available. I think it's extremely useful.

It is probably really useful but I have been doing Ki Pulse dodge for last 50hours so trying to do Flux just breaks my dodge timing totally because instead of just pressing X I have to first press R1 + facebutton and then let go of the R1 and press X. Could probably learn it if I put some time into it but currently it just breaks my timing.

When all the difficult enemies have major hyper armor and hit hard through all your attacks, then during those fights doing a ki pulse or changing stances during a ki pulse is kind of point less. You hit until they are getting ready to attack and then you dodge, and then get your ki back while waiting for the next opportunity to attack. Ki Pulse is kind of point less during the challenging battles most of the time.

I disagree because I use Water or whatever where dodge Ki Pulses and if I time it right my next attack does bonus damage

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No, you keep R1 held down. Pressing R1 the first time triggers your pulse and while holding down you hit whatever other stance you want to switch to which gives you the bonus after you've already gained your originally spent amount of Ki back when hitting R1 originally. You can also unlock Flux II which I talked about in my previous post. It let's you change two stances for two bonuses essentially.

I think it comes very naturally, but then again my playstyle since the beginning involved wanting to change stances around during fights just for the badassery of it.

Ooh wait, so the R1+ stance switching is without attacks in between? It's just to get your ki back faster? I was confused and thought the R1 holding was with attacks in between. This is just a string in between combos to keep you going longer with max ki?

It is probably really useful but I have been doing Ki Pulse dodge for last 50hours so trying to do Flux just breaks my dodge timing totally because instead of just pressing X I have to first press R1 + facebutton and then let go of the R1 and press X. Could probably learn it if I put some time into it but currently it just breaks my timing.

I mean yeah like most skills in this game it's not a necessity, I just personally really like it because I get a ton of fun out of trying to master all these skills and incorporating them into my play fluently.

After watching some strategy videos etc. before, I realized there are quite some seriously different play styles out there.

So there's absolutely a bug. In multiple side missions now I've died while fighting enemies but the mission has completed. This happens in side missions that are like waves of enemies before you move on to the next area for a new wave. I die during the first wave, but the second area opens up. Just now I died while in the final area and I just completed the mission.

Saprol

It's tough finding axe or just heavy revenants. At least I'm on Kingo's armour now. Saw that silly mad spinner build on reddit and I definitely need some skill ki reduction sets to try that out. 😂

Ooh wait, so the R1+ stance switching is without attacks in between? It's just to get your ki back faster? I was confused and thought the R1 holding was with attacks in between. This is just a string in between combos to keep you going longer with max ki?

Yeah, you literally switch between stances 'focusing your Ki' as the game says. The initial key pulse by hitting R1 gives you back you spent right, each consecutive stance you change into gives you a bonus on top of that if you have the skills unlocked (Flux & Flux II).

You're not doing any hits here. It's literally the same as if standing still and changing stances just you're doing it piggybacked onto a Ki pulse for additional bonus chunks of Ki. It's basically to encourage you to take advantage of stance switching by giving you bonus stamina to then bust out more combos after switching to that new stance.

I think it's really helpful when you've got a large Yokai and/or boss in its red stagger state and want to maximize its 'down time' in that state with a maximum amount of hits. I'm sure there are other ways as someone will point out shortly no doubt, but for me, it's a lot of fun to see this in action.

So there's absolutely a bug. In multiple side missions now I've died while fighting enemies but the mission has completed. This happens in side missions that are like waves of enemies before you move on to the next area for a new wave. I die during the first wave, but the second area opens up. Just now I died while in the final area and I just completed the mission.

Happened to me on the bridge sub mission. I would kill one wave and the next wave would spawn, then I'd die and the wave I died on didn't respawn.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm just impressed you beat that mission. Saw one streamer getting wrecked by it and haven't even attempted it

Also I'm only level 100 and totally unoptimized
My palms were sweaty & I was out of my couch and on my feet for the last 20% of that fight and the hell that comes after it:
Meeting on the other shore
. Felt like my heart was bursting out my chest cause these two fuckers gave me such hell lol. God damn did it feel good to conquer the challenge though. The satisfaction I've gotten from overcoming challenges/tough bosses in this game have been unmatched since BB probably.

I think it is one of the passive skills you get for spear (Cornered tiger) and hi-nezumi can up your crits.

If you choose to be aggressive ki pulse/flux allows you to constantly attack.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yeah but against tough enemies that can hyper armor through any of your attacks and stagger you and then kill you with one combo that's not a good strategy.
Sure it is if you're trying to styyyle on em! Side stepping and flux dancing around 1-hit kill enemies is so godlike lol. That rush of never getting hit while you chain combos or u die.

Yeah but against tough enemies that can hyper armor through any of your attacks and stagger you and then kill you with one combo that's not a good strategy.

It's a good strategy, it's just not an easy or safe one. Plenty of yotubue videos of people that prety much almost never stop attacking and just dodge everything perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom