• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grassy

Just so I'm crystal clear on Divine weapons and upgrading, you can't transfer a |>| weapon effect from say a +1 to a +2 weapon, is that right? They both have to be +2? And you can only transfer a stat from one Divine to another, not from a purple item to a Divine item? This is the first part of the game that has confused me, it's probably simple though...

Like I'm trying to get the 'Close combat damage' effect on my +2 spear, but the chances of finding a +2 weapon with close combat damage seems limited at the moment, and I'm more likely to find a weapon with +1 or level 150 with that stat, so say if I do get a +1 weapon I'd have to upgrade that weapon to +2, reach max familiarity then transfer the stat over? Is that how it works?

Whew, this game just keeps on going, how many main missions does region 5 have?!
About to battle some giant clusterfuck skeleton that probably walked out of ninja gaiden.

Summer Twilight - 40 seconds 150% damage - infinite uses
Power Pills - 27 seconds - 133% damage - 2x
Carnage Talisman - 21 seconds - 200% damage - 2x

Do these numbers seem correct?

Summer twilight debuff isnt too bad, and you never run out. But you cant apply it instantly.
Power pills has no debuff, but dont boost your damage much.
Carnage talisman has the worst debuff, doesnt last very long, but does a LOT more damage.

I wish they stacked, haha.

Zesh

Just so I'm crystal clear on Divine weapons and upgrading, you can't transfer a |>| weapon effect from say a +1 to a +2 weapon, is that right? They both have to be +2? And you can only transfer a stat from one Divine to another, not from a purple item to a Divine item? This is the first part of the game that has confused me, it's probably simple though...

Like I'm trying to get the 'Close combat damage' effect on my +2 spear, but the chances of finding a +2 weapon with close combat damage seems limited at the moment, and I'm more likely to find a weapon with +1 or level 150 with that stat, so say if I do get a +1 weapon I'd have to upgrade that weapon to +2, reach max familiarity then transfer the stat over? Is that how it works?

Rarity and level don't matter at all for special effect inheritance. You can inherit an ability from a level 50 blue item onto your 150+10 divine item without issue. The only case in which the level matters is when you want to upgrade your weapon from +2 to +3 for instance, in which case you need an item of equivalent or higher + rating.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What's the light armor set to get, and does it come in green (divine)? Heard something about a light armor set that autosnaps to a target's weak spot when aiming ranged weapons?

sh4mike

Is there a way to get credit for passing a mission using the Torii Gate in Way of Strong?

I did one but did not get mission credit (e.g. no checkmark).

Flux is surprisingly generous, you have like a full second and a half to switch stance after Ki pulse.

Flux II is even more generous, even if you screw up your first stance switch (picking the same stance) the second stance change would still register and you'll get the Ki regain.

Against a certain boss I could use this combo infinitely without pausing to regain Ki

High Spear light -> Spearfall -> perfect Ki pulse -> Flux II -> final blow -> repeat

Grassy

Rarity and level don't matter at all for special effect inheritance. You can inherit an ability from a level 50 blue item onto your 150+10 divine item without issue. The only case in which the level matters is when you want to upgrade your weapon from +2 to +3 for instance, in which case you need an item of equivalent or higher + rating.

Hmmm that's strange, does it matter if you do it between different weapon types perhaps? I have a set of purple, level 104 dual katana's with transferable '|>| Close combat damage 20%", but I can't transfer it to my max familiarity, Divine +2 Great Spear. Am I doing it wrong?

Hmmm that's strange, does it matter if you do it between different weapon types perhaps? I have a set of purple, level 104 dual katana's with transferable '|>| Close combat damage 20%", but I can't transfer it to my max familiarity, Divine +2 Great Spear. Am I doing it wrong?

The weapon with the Close Combat Damage needs to be max familiarity. If it is, then you need to tell us what other attributes are on the spear. You've probably got a conflict. Certain skills can't be on one weapon at the same time. If you have another damage skill on the spear already, then you can't put another damage increase skill on it without reforging the conflicting skill.

Grassy

The weapon with the Close Combat Damage needs to be max familiarity. If it is, then you need to tell us what other attributes are on the spear. You've probably got a conflict. Certain skills can't be on one weapon at the same time. If you have another damage skill on the spear already, then you can't put another damage increase skill on it without reforging the conflicting skill.

Ahh my spear has "Killing strike damage +20%" so I guess that's the issue, got it. Thanks.

Ahh my spear has "Killing strike damage +20%" so I guess that's the issue, got it. Thanks.

Hmm. Final Blow/Killing Strike shouldn't conflict with Close Combat Damage.

I have Close Combat Damage and Final Blow on my dual kats. Not sure what the issue was,

The things that won't stack with Close Combat Damage are things like:

Quick Attack Damage
Strong Attack Damage
Skill Damage
Mid Stance Damage
Low Stance Damage
High Stance Damage
Familiarity Damage Bonus

Stuff like those^

Grassy

Hmm. Final Blow/Killing Strike shouldn't conflict with Close Combat Damage.

I have Close Combat Damage and Final Blow on my dual kats. Not sure what the issue was,

The things that won't stack with Close Combat Damage are things like:

Quick Attack Damage
Strong Attack Damage
Skill Damage
Mid Stance Damage
Low Stance Damage
High Stance Damage
Familiarity Damage Bonus

Stuff like those^

OK, it also has
Close Combat KI Reduction
Damage From Behind
Proficiency Bonus
|>| Skill KI Damage(what I'm trying to replace)

So I guess the proficiency bonus or damage from behind must conflict?

OK, it also has
Close Combat KI Reduction
Damage From Behind
Proficiency Bonus
|>| Skill KI Damage(what I'm trying to replace)

So I guess the proficiency bonus or damage from behind must conflict?

If I had to guess, then yes, it's the Damage from Behind one.

On my main dual katana, I have:

Water
Final Blow/Killing Strike Damage
Guard Ki Reduction
Close Combat Ki Damage
Close Combat Damage
Change to Attack (Skill)
<Set Bonus>

Edit: Just so you know, Proficiency Bonus just increases the rate that you gain skill points with that weapon. If you're already at 999,999 proficiency with the weapon, you're not gaining anything from that attribute so you might want to reforge it to something more useful.

You can check your proficiency with a weapon in your status screen. (Bring up the menu, go to Status, and hit R1 to look at the screen labeled "Additional Stats".)

Grassy

If I had to guess, then yes, it's the Damage from Behind one.

On my main dual katana, I have:

Water
Final Blow/Killing Strike Damage
Guard Ki Reduction
Close Combat Ki Damage
Close Combat Damage
Change to Attack (Skill)
<Set Bonus>

Edit: Just so you know, Proficiency Bonus just increases the rate that you gain skill points with that weapon. If you're already at 999,999 proficiency with the weapon, you're not gaining anything from that attribute so you might want to reforge it to something more useful.

You can check your proficiency with a weapon in your status screen. (Bring up the menu, go to Status, and hit R1 to look at the screen labeled "Additional Stats".)

Oh shit, I didn't know that thanks! I thought it increased damage due to your proficiency level, time to re-roll it then. I hit 999,999 spear prof 50 hours ago...

I feel like i'm the only person in the world who doesn't like boss battles in Souls games and Nioh is no different.

Alright, finished the Grim blades or whatever dojo challenge. 3 weapons down (kusari, axe, dual). Still need to unlock more abilities for dualK tho

Nioh is more Character Action to me than Diablo. I hate watching people play it like souls (so like really safe, poking, defensive and reactive, boring). I like getting in close, doing combos and strafing as close as possible. My best mate just mashes square and spaces himself. He doesnt learn weapon skills really and just plays like souls (Ive only played BB but from vids Ive seen, spacing and his style are how most ppl play souls). I understand souls is a big influence tho and that playstyle is totes viable. just really boring imo

Alright, finished the Grim blades or whatever dojo challenge. 3 weapons down (kusari, axe, dual). Still need to unlock more abilities for dualK tho

Nioh is more Character Action to me than Diablo. I hate watching people play it like souls (so like really safe, poking, defensive and reactive, boring). I like getting in close, doing combos and strafing as close as possible. My best mate just mashes square and spaces himself. He doesnt learn weapon skills really and just plays like souls (Ive only played BB but from vids Ive seen, spacing and his style are how most ppl play souls). I understand souls is a big influence tho and that playstyle is totes viable. just really boring imo

I find that a lot of the complaints about high enemy health pool and low damage can be attributed to "playing it like Souls" syndrome.

People are conditioned to killing enemies in 3 hits or less, back off and wait for another opening. Obviously this isn't the case for higher skilled players but in general the game doesn't provide you with enough tools to maintain aggression.

I saw snippets of Brandon Jones playing Nioh yesterday on the EZA stream and it took him forever to kill you-know-who in Region 1 Main story 3 boss because if that mentality. I don't blame him because we all started out that way, but I left him a comment saying how he should try to be more aggressive to maintain pressure.

I find that a lot of the complaints about high enemy health pool and low damage can be attributed to "playing it like Souls" syndrome.

People are conditioned to killing enemies in 3 hits or less, back off and wait for another opening. Obviously this isn't the case for higher skilled players but in general the game doesn't provide you with enough tools to maintain aggression.

I saw snippets of Brandon Jones playing Nioh yesterday on the EZA stream and it took him forever to kill you-know-who in Region 1 Main story 3 boss because if that mentality. I don't blame him because we all started out that way, but I left him a comment saying how he should try to be more aggressive to maintain pressure.

I watched that stream this morning. for a guy as busy as he is, im really happy he's into the game but like he took a long time to take down the cyclops, and was constantly in front of nue's face and dashing (rather then jogging and maintaining ki) from his lightning. He repeated those mistakes until he summoned someone though chat did give him some good tips. I wonder what it takes to break someone out of that souls mentality.. Hino Emma is probably a bad beginning boss in this respect since you kinda gotta play defensive and be reactive against her more so than others.. maybe thats where people get stuck in this mentality

Espada

Hmm, it looks like some weapons are flat out better than others right out of the boss. I was farming the final Katana training mission in the dojo, and received two top tier weapons from him. A wooden sword and one of the legendary water swords, both
divine
. Both of them were +2 as well, but the water sword had a significantly higher attack multiplier.

Is this just a result of the special effects on the weapon or a difference that can never be surmounted?

Hmm, it looks like some weapons are flat out better than others right out of the boss. I was farming the final Katana training mission in the dojo, and received two top tier weapons from him. A wooden sword and one of the legendary water swords, both
divine
. Both of them were +2 as well, but the water sword had a significantly higher attack multiplier.

Is this just a result of the special effects on the weapon or a difference that can never be surmounted?

Some weapons of each type just have higher base damage than other weapons of the same type.

RedFury

Does anyone know if getting fox helm is possible? Saw a revenant with only the helm and a weapon killed it 5 time before it disappeared and got nothing.

Been using Saoirse as LV for the amrita bonus, but I randomly decided to check some others and wow, her damage output is LOW. But she refreshes quickly. I don't know which one to use... Which are the best? Spirit is my highest stat, around 65, magic next at 40.

FaintDeftone

Man, so for someone who has finished every Souls game and adores them, I can't even beat the first boss (ball &a chain guy) in Nioh. I sat for probably two hours and died a couple dozen times before I just gave up. I think this game is definitely much harder than any Souls game I've played and it doesn't help that the summon system relies on rare item drops. I'm just going to have to shelf the game for now and maybe come back to it after these onslaught of new releases are under my belt.

Got to this sixth region tonight. Some very tough bosses in region 5. I'm trying to beat this before I play Zelda on Thursday night. Do ya'll think I can I do it?

Man, so for someone who has finished every Souls game and adores them, I can't even beat the first boss (ball &a chain guy) in Nioh. I sat for probably two hours and died a couple dozen times before I just gave up. I think this game is definitely much harder than any Souls game I've played and it doesn't help that the summon system relies on rare item drops. I'm just going to have to shelf the game for now and maybe come back to it after these onslaught of new releases are under my belt.

What kind of armor are you wearing? Light, Medium, or Heavy? The less weight you have, the faster your ki will recharge and the farther your evade range will be - all extremely helpful when fighting large enemies whose weapons have a lot of range.

As for the first boss, keep yourself positioned behind him and evade with X when he's about to do a sweep attack. If he's about to throw those balls towards you, you need to run at him rather than away or to the side. You should be doing ki pulses by manually resetting your ki with R1 to dispel yokai clouds while also gaining as much ki as you want back without having to wait for it to recharge itself: Without it, you'll find yourself dead in the water because you'll depleted the damn bar by becoming overzealous in your attacks or relying on the block button too much.

Once you have ki pulse down, the game becomes a lot more manageable.

Zesh

Managed to hit 600. I'll be starting Horizon tomorrow, so I won't finish the 750 grind for a while, but the only stats I have yet to max are Stamina and Spirit, which aren't too useful for me at this point. I'll probably hit 750 when I come back for the update/DLC.

Jimrpg

That's weird. Every boss in Dark Souls is harder than the ball and chain guy. Watch his moves and attack from behind when you get the chance.

I watched that stream this morning. for a guy as busy as he is, im really happy he's into the game but like he took a long time to take down the cyclops, and was constantly in front of nue's face and dashing (rather then jogging and maintaining ki) from his lightning. He repeated those mistakes until he summoned someone though chat did give him some good tips. I wonder what it takes to break someone out of that souls mentality.. Hino Emma is probably a bad beginning boss in this respect since you kinda gotta play defensive and be reactive against her more so than others.. maybe thats where people get stuck in this mentality

Well for me things changed when I first saw XLH's very first video of the Alpha way back. Maybe they just need to see that there is a level of play here beyond your standard Souls. Just knowing it exist would help in the long run because it gives people something to strive for.

I think there are four main types of bosses in Nioh:

1) big and 'slow' (Onryoki, Nue)
2) small and fast (Hino-Emma, Muneshige)
3) Range (YO)
4) gimmick (GS, UB)

The hardest of each types are the very first or second ones that you fight. After that the game puts you in a proper mindset to fight the rest. (You also get more abilities as the game goes on)

crimilde

Banned
On my way to the plat, just wanted to say that I dreamt I was playing Nioh last night lol. At this rate I don't think I can start Horizon tomorrow, it's going to have to wait on the shelf for a while.

Jimrpg

For people who have finished the game how many levels are there?

I'm still in the first region after 10 hours
Hino Enma
but I think I put too many points into Strength and nothing in Heart and Body and I've got clobbered by her, now I need to level up a bit but its taking some time because my level is so high.

I can't believe some people have finished this game in 20 hours because that just seems crazy fast to me, but I've only finished Demon's Souls so I'm still somewhat noob.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Agility AND Skill Damage? Don't those come from the same pool ,or am I missing something?
Dunno I have this old pic I posted on twitter. Dmg is insanely high now.

C5sKF6JUoAI-VxP.jpg

Managed to hit 600. I'll be starting Horizon tomorrow, so I won't finish the 750 grind for a while, but the only stats I have yet to max are Stamina and Spirit, which aren't too useful for me at this point. I'll probably hit 750 when I come back for the update/DLC.
Wtf man. Tell me your secret.

Well for me things changed when I first saw XLH's very first video of the Alpha way back. Maybe they just need to see that there is a level of play here beyond your standard Souls. Just knowing it exist would help in the long run because it gives people something to strive for.

I think there are four main types of bosses in Nioh:

1) big and 'slow' (Onryoki, Nue)
2) small and fast (Hino-Emma, Muneshige)
3) Range (YO)
4) gimmick (GS, UB)

The hardest of each types are the very first or second ones that you fight. After that the game puts you in a proper mindset to fight the rest. (You also get more abilities as the game goes on)

Hmmm I also watched XLHs stuff, maybe thats what helped me 'get' nioh. It's its own thing, with combos and stuff like a lite-platinum game but also with massive risk like a souls game and encounter design like a souls game. Watching XLHs vids from the last chance with the spear i think it was, really pushed me to memorize combos and timing rather than focus on spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom