• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA Press Event May 13th

Atelier Totori please.

Also, I'd like some unexpected DS titles that still haven't made it over like Luminous Arc 3 and 7th Dragon. (Unlikely, I know. But one can dream.)

Vicglorious

Neo Member
Gunloc said:
Atelier Totori please.

Also, I'd like some unexpected DS titles that still haven't made it over like Luminous Arc 3 and 7th Dragon. (Unlikely, I know. But one can dream.)

I could definitely go for Luminous Arc 3 as well. But yeah, soooo unlikely, especially since it's been a couple years since the JP release.

I really hope NISA continues to support the DS, even though I know they're publishing Cave Story 3D. For that matter, I hope the DS still has a few awesome games coming to send it off... and hope it doesn't die a death of Cartoon Network adaptations and other stuff of that nature.

Emotions

La Pucelle Ragnarok , Princess of Antiphona and Atelier Lina (these being wishful thinking)

After reality check.. Atelier Totori and Tale of Last Promise...

Aeana said:
A "cost issue" that impacts the quality of the product.

And thus players get pissed and don't buy the product out of righteous indignation, and thus the budgets go down, thus meaning there are fewer resources for things like voice acting, thus players get etc. etc. etc.

I understand why players get annoyed when this kind of thing happens (being, y'know, a player myself) but especially after getting into the industry I have a lot of sympathy for the smaller publishers when it comes to things like full-voice dubs on games that won't sell that many copies. Voicework is the #1 cost for most game translations, and if your budget is tight because you aren't confident a game will sell that many copies, it's the first and easiest thing to trim to make sure you can release the game at all.

Out of curiosity, though: how do people feel about no-dubs, like what we had to do with Recettear (out of necessity)? The working assumption at most places is that "some voice is better than none at all", but I wonder if this is actually true. If voice can't be matched 1:1, should the second voice language option just be left out entirely?

Lain

SpaceDrake said:
Out of curiosity, though: how do people feel about no-dubs, like what we had to do with Recettear (out of necessity)? The working assumption at most places is that "some voice is better than none at all", but I wonder if this is actually true. If voice can't be matched 1:1, should the second voice language option just be left out entirely?
Depends how much the dub would cover and how it would impact the experience while playing the game. If the game ends up with some story cutscenes voiced while others aren't, might as well just go with the original VA only, since the experience would feel weird for player.
Still, a partial dub while providing the original VA is always better than the alternative some people came up with, cut all the content they couldn't dub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SpaceDrake said:
And thus players get pissed and don't buy the product out of righteous indignation, and thus the budgets go down, thus meaning there are fewer resources for things like voice acting, thus players get etc. etc. etc.

I understand why players get annoyed when this kind of thing happens (being, y'know, a player myself) but especially after getting into the industry I have a lot of sympathy for the smaller publishers when it comes to things like full-voice dubs on games that won't sell that many copies. Voicework is the #1 cost for most game translations, and if your budget is tight because you aren't confident a game will sell that many copies, it's the first and easiest thing to trim to make sure you can release the game at all.

No voice>Partial Voice>Bad voice, if you leave good voice out of it. VA work does slow down games after all.

Bad VA is still the worst crime of all. It will kill the rep of any game.

Durante

SpaceDrake said:
I'd rather have no dubs and higher quality translations / proofreading than half a dub or a bad dub.

Lain said:
Still, a partial dub while providing the original VA is always better than the alternative some people came up with, cut all the content they couldn't dub.
That was such a horrible idea.

Volcynika

I'd always enjoy a full dub if possible, but a partial dub is not bad, or at least not bad enough to make me not buy the game.

Granted, whenever I enjoy a dub, I always hear people complain and play with an undub anyways sooooooooooooo yeah. :p

I grew up on gaming in the 80s, I can do this thing called "reading dialogue", and too many great localizations have come down the pipeline in the last 10 years for publishers to phone it in, so Good VA or nothing.

SpaceDrake said:

i'm all for the elimination of dubs, period. unnecessary waste of time & money, & i suspect we don't get many more localizations than we do because of them...

Yazuka

I myself prefer the dubs, I've never encountered a dub that made me want to change to the original language. Well, Chaos Wars was one game... Ugh.
But almost alway I prefer the dubs.

SatelliteOfLove said:
I grew up on gaming in the 80s, I can do this thing called "reading dialogue", and too many great localizations have come down the pipeline in the last 10 years for publishers to phone it in, so Good VA or nothing.

With my entrance to gaming being of 95% of games having dubs...its just odd to me to have to "read dialogue" lacking voice. Ive never seen bad VA, just mainly awkward voiced scenes, but they were awkward because the writing team made it awkward.

matmanx1

I am completely fine with no dub at all. 9 out of 10 games/movies/whatever that offer a dual voice track I am going to go with the original language over the dubbed one. It doesn't even have to be a Japanese/English thing as the original Witcher game's Polish VA was quite awesome!

tiff

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nipponichi possible pick-ups
- Criminal Girls (Imageepoch, bit on the nsfw)

Other companies possible pick-ups
- Atelier Totori (Gust, basically a lock)
This is what I'm hoping for (though Criminal Girls is a long shot, sure).

I want Neptune mk2 too but it's way too early to make an announcement.

SpaceDrake said:
Yeah, if full, good dubs aren't a possibility then I like your approach with Recettear. If you can't do it right then why bother at all?

So I'm giving this a bump because this here thing kicks off in eighteen hours or so. Should be interesting to see, hopefully someone liveblogs it.

Anyway, the reactions in this thread are interesting. It's a small sample size, to be sure, but I think I may point this out to an industry friend or two of mine.

androvsky

SpaceDrake said:
So I'm giving this a bump because this here thing kicks off in eighteen hours or so. Should be interesting to see, hopefully someone liveblogs it.

Anyway, the reactions in this thread are interesting. It's a small sample size, to be sure, but I think I may point this out to an industry friend or two of mine.
Don't forget that not only is the sample size small, but it's a sample of people that clicked on a NISA Press Event thread. It's kinda like asking the choir how much singing the service should have. ;)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Damn it! I'm going to be on a plane to Japan during the conference! >_<. My impressions will have to come later! :-(

Holy crap, I completely forgot about this thing; sucks I live in another state.

I think it's mostly those Imageepoch titles they're gonna talk about at the event.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Atelier Totori please.

I wouldn't mind Criminal Girls either, but I'm not sure if that's even a good game and worth getting other than for fanservice.

dili

Atelier Totori
Final Promise Story
Criminal Girls
Venus and braves PSP

At least 2 of those being announced will make me happy though the last one is a long shot for sure.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Lain said:
Nice (although expected) for Totori and ClaDun 2.
Bleach, why bother?
Why bother with something that will probably sell a lot better than all the other games they release?

Why indeed.

Volcynika

As far as region specific, for the lazy

Atelier Totori will be coming to NA/EU this fall
ClaDun x2 will be PSN only coming in August (not sure if both NA/EU)
Bleach: Soul Resurrección is coming to NA in August, and EU in September.

androvsky

Bleach, eh? Oh, the official NISA forums are not going to be pretty. I am glad that NSIA is experimenting with games that might actually make decent money that aren't super expensive to localize.

Awesome for Totori, and I like how quick it is coming out.

Nice to see ClaDun 2 coming out as well.

Bleach is sure as hell, came out from left field.

Volcynika

androvsky said:
Bleach, eh? Oh, the official NISA forums are not going to be pretty. I am glad that NSIA is experimenting with games that might actually make decent money that aren't super expensive to localize.

They can just ignore it like Atlus fans ignore 100-in-1 Megamix. :p

Volcynika

Remember NISA is also working on putting out Cave Story 3DS and Disgaea 4 this fall sometime too....so it's not like they've got a light load.

Top Bottom