• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No 3D in Pokémon Sun & Moon? Why?

jax

Banned
According to this and many other articles, stereoscopic 3D will not be featured in Pokémon Sun & Moon. Previous 3DS Pokémon games had 3D enabled during battles, but apparently now the feature is gone all together.

This is a real head scratcher because if they removed it due to slower performance and framerate.. that makes no sense, since the framerate on a standard 3DS and a New 3DS is identical. They never bothered to push the limits of the newer hardware, so why nix the idea all together?

If you ask me, it's because not enough people were vocally upset about the lack of New 3DS improvements made to ORAS, as the game released before the console in most of the world, so no one really noticed how GameFreak completely dropped the ball on enhancements for the new hardware. It didn't even utilize the super stable 3D found in the new 3DS during battles. Still the same old super crappy O3DS 3D.

But now here we are years later, years after the new 3DS is released and not only is it likely we do not have speed improvements with the New 3DS, but now the 3D is allegedly missing from the battle aspect of the game (I think it's only confirmed present only during the Pokémon snap segments.)

I'm still stoked for the game, but what does this say about GameFreak? Will they just flat out ignore hardware features when creating Pokémon Switch? Because if so, I'd rather a company that works better with Nintendo, such as Retro, took a shot at making a mainline Pokémon game. The lack of Hardware and Amiibo support from GameFreak is really puzzling to me.

Sorry if there was already a thread discussing this, I did a search and didn't find anything.

Neoxon

Because the 3DS can't handle it. The models for the Pokémon are really detailed (namely for future-proofing), & the 3DS can only handle so much.

GameFreak has been pretty technically incompetent on the 3DS. The Pokemon games look great, but not so much that they should run the way they do, even with the 3D off double battles and up can chug a bit.

With Sun and Moon it seems they've pushed the system even further and just ultimately gave up. Just find it crazy in a world where Capcom are working magic on the thing and likely don't have access to the same kind of resources that GameFreak do. Alas, Sun and Moon are going to be fucking lit.

The performance for the Poké Finder in 3DS and N3DS is a joke.

Yeah this was shocking in the demo. I hate this phrase because it's not used properly on GAF, but it was like a slide show.

dc89

Seeing as I play all my 3DS games with 3D off apart from the odd moment where I go "I wonder how this looks, Oh it's neat/crap" and then turn it back off, I'm not bothered.

jax

Banned
so game run good
They could easily turn 3D off for O3DS owners, and leave it for N3DS owners... they act as if that's some impossible feat when nearly all games behave differently based on the hardware they're running on.

You can even homebrew ORAS and XY to run at a great framerate with 3D on a N3DS, so there's really no excuse besides "GameFreak hates 3D".

Neoxon

Because the Nintendo Switch has no 3D.
Uhh, this is a 3DS game. If you're implying that Sun/Moon may get ported, it's more likely that the Switch may share the Gen 7 sequel game with the 3DS than anything else (since Sun/Moon would have been out for 4 months by the time the Switch drops).

3D was already optional with the 3DS to begin with, and now that they sell SKUs (the 2DS) that have no 3D functionality, it'd be foolish of Nintendo to spend any significant portion of time on such a feature.

The market has spoken.

Neoxon

GameFreak has been pretty technically incompetent on the 3DS. The Pokemon games look great, but not so much that they should run the way they do, even with the 3D off double battles and up can chug a bit.

With Sun and Moon it seems they've pushed the system even further and just ultimately gave up. Just find it crazy in a world where Capcom are working magic on the thing and likely don't have access to the same kind of resources that GameFreak do. Alas, Sun and Moon are going to be fucking lit.

Yeah this was shocking in the demo. I hate this phrase because it's not used properly on GAF, but it was like a slide show.
To be fair, the guys at Capcom have been technical wizards with the 3DS.

Another reason why I just can't support these Pokemon games. That's ridiculous, especially considering how bad it looks.

-Horizon-

Because the game will run even crappier.

Have you seen what happens during the totem battle in the demo with just one extra pokemon showing up?

Imagine how 3D would affect that.

*insert slideshow here*

Likely to help it run better.
It's unusual that there *is* 3D...but in a gyro section which is the worst time for 3D to work (the 3D in those sections also suck)
No clue why they didn't have no 3D at all. Would've made it an easier purchase for parents still woried about 3D's effect on developing eyes. Though having a first party title with no 3D might be bad PR

SM in general is a more demanding game than XY. More battle effects, trainers being ever present in battle, a greatly expanded game world (graphically), full sized character models everywhere - little surprise that they'd sacrifice 3D for a more consistent experience.

Layell

Gamefreak has always been technically incompetent in terms of performance.

The release window for Gen 4 and the iterations on graphics should say a lot.

Only by Gen 5 did they really perfect fluid 2D battles, and by then people were itching for 3D.

Experien

3D is not for little kids.

Pokemon is played by adults and kids alike.

Nintendo knows most parents won't even bother with parental settings on 3DS, so safer to not just have the 3D effect available.

3D was already optional with the 3DS to begin with, and now that they sell SKUs (the 2DS) that have no 3D functionality, it'd be foolish of Nintendo to spend any significant portion of time on such a feature.

The market has spoken.
The market has spoken... and said that 2DS makes up less than 10% of total 3DS hardware.
3D is not for little kids.
I couldn't wait until I reached age 7, when my parents took off my eyepatch and allowed me to have stereoscopic vision.

jax

Banned

The market has spoken.
I don't think it's Nintendo making that call. It seems to me GameFreak and TPC are very arrogant when it comes to decision making and Pokémon. That's why the Pokémon Amiibo are so useless compared to the rest of them. Also why Pokémon games have significantly less StreetPss support than they should. The way GameFreak handles these hardware situations makes it seem like they just didn't feel like making it 3D, cause they knew it would sell regardless. Which is probably true, but what does that mean for future games and their relationship with Nintendo?

What if GameFreak just randomly decided "Lol NAH you can't play Pokémon Switch while the console is docked. Only portable lol. We make the rules, not you, and not Nintendo." That would suck and at the rate they're going they very well might pull something like this.

#RetroForPokemon

jax

Banned
Because the game will run even crappier.

Have you seen what happens during the totem battle in the demo with just one extra pokemon showing up?

Imagine how 3D would affect that.

*insert slideshow here*
Right. It would run exactly how it runs on an OLD 3DS as it does on a NEW 3DS. That's the problem. My question is why?

Why do they ignore new hardware improvements? Laziness?

rhandino

Banned
Now that battles have the Trainers and the backgrounds are more detailed than ever It's not surprise they took that performance cost out of the equation.

Aters

Because Game Freak is shit tier developer when it comes to technology. Look how long it took for them to get rid of the grid movement.

jax

Banned
Now that battles have the Trainers and the backgrounds are more detailed than ever It's not surprise they took that performance cost out of the equation.
Which would make perfect sense for the original 3DS.

But we have New 3DS now. A new console that can handle the performance hits. Many other 3DS games have a version for each generation of 3DS hardware. Pokémon should, as it's the best selling 3DS game. But it seems Nintendo just lets GameFreak do whatever the heck they want with little to no oversight. Which leads me to my next point:

Do you guys really think GameFreak is competent enough to handle Pokémon Switch?

Shiggy

It didn't even utilize the super stable 3D found in the new 3DS during battles. Still the same old super crappy O3DS 3D.

Don't all 3DS games automatically support the stable 3D? All my pre-new 3DS titles have it.

jax

Banned
Don't all 3DS games automatically support the stable 3D? All my pre-new 3DS titles have it.
Judging by my own tests, XYORAS does not support the super stable 3D. Most games automatically support it, but for whatever reason ORAS and XY do not. I booted up the game on both new and old systems and the 3D is the same level of horrendous on both.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Which would make perfect sense for the original 3DS.

But we have New 3DS now. A new console that can handle the performance hits. Many other 3DS games have a version for each generation of 3DS hardware. Pokémon should, as it's the best selling 3DS game. But it seems Nintendo just lets GameFreak do whatever the heck they want with little to no oversight. Which leads me to my next point:

Do you guys really think GameFreak is competent enough to handle Pokémon Switch?

You have to manually unlock the n3ds cpu. They dont use it

-shadow-

so game run good

Than explain to me why during the Pokéfinder it drops to something like 10 fps and during battles with more than two different Pokémon. GameFreak made a mess of the Gen VI engine and there's really no excuse for the games to run as poorly as they do. It's an absolute mess.

BiggNife

Game Freak cares more about visual fidelity than 3D. XY and ORAS had super limited 3D (only battles) and it destroyed the framerate.

Part of me thinks that n3DS could probably handle the 3D but GF doesn't care. Their games aren't optimized for n3DS in any way.

jax

Banned
Game Freak cares more about visual fidelity than 3D. XY and ORAS had super limited 3D (only battles) and it destroyed the framerate.

Part of me thinks that n3DS could probably handle the 3D but GF doesn't care.
So what else won't they care about when they're developing Pokémon Switch? The 3DS Pokémon doesn't support 3D. So my assumption is the NS Pokémon won't support Switching.

I think Nintendo needs to consider putting another developer on the Switch Pokémon, to help GameFreak.
or replace them

Shiggy

Judging by my own tests, XYORAS does not support the super stable 3D. Most games automatically support it, but for whatever reason ORAS and XY do not. I booted up the game on both new and old systems and the 3D is the same level of horrendous on both.

It's definitely there, it even works quite well when the framerate isn't total crap. You can also see the sensor light up when it's dark.

Others already mentioned it. The hardware is not powerful enough/Gamefreak does not have the technical chops.

Mini-rant:
3D will always go down as one of the most useless features in a Nintendo system, and 3DS was almost killed because of it. The loss of 3D for Sun & Moon is negligible for the vast majority of people.

ss_lemonade

3d support got worse moving from X/Y -> Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire so I wouldn't be surprised if the new games are like that too.

What would be the biggest head scratcher is if there's no performance difference between New 3ds and Old 3ds. I haven't been following the new games but the previous games had good framerate boosts in both 2d and 3d modes when running in New 3ds clockspeeds.

jax

Banned
It's definitely there, it even works quite well when the framerate isn't total crap. You can also see the sensor light up when it's dark.
Maybe it was patched in, but when I was playing ORAS when it launched the stable 3D (including the light) was not working.

What would be the biggest head scratcher is if there's no performance difference between New 3ds and Old 3ds. I haven't been following the new games but the previous games had good framerate boosts in both 2d and 3d modes when running in New 3ds clockspeeds.
You have to hack the New 3DS to achieve those framerate boosts.

BooJoh

Maybe it was patched in, but when I was playing ORAS when it launched the stable 3D (including the light) was not working.

Maybe your 3DS is broken. The Super Stable 3D does not need to be enabled by a game, it's enabled on a system-wide level and while it's enabled it's used for everything that's in stereoscopic 3D.

Neoxon

So what else won't they care about when they're developing Pokémon Switch? The 3DS Pokémon doesn't support 3D. So my assumption is the NS Pokémon won't support Switching.

I think Nintendo needs to consider putting another developer on the Switch Pokémon, to help GameFreak.
or replace them
We probably shouldn't assume the worst for whatever Game Freak has planned for the Switch. And even then, The Pokémon Company may have more of a say on who works on the mainline Pokémon games (correct me if I'm wrong). Another thing to consider is that Game Freak isn't actually owned by Nintendo. They're a private developer who can develop for whatever system they choose. It's just that Pokémon is in a weird web of ownership that Nintendo has a sizable stake in. If you want more details on how the Pokémon ownership is handled, there's a NeoGAF thread for that.

Top Bottom