• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No 3D in Pokémon Sun & Moon? Why?

That's such a stupid stance to take with an IP like Pokemon. GF is becoming the software variant of Apple in that they want to create a game with the least possible effort.
This is the type of hyperbolic nonsense I came to despise on gaf, like this post is literally removed from reality.

GF has gone all out in production values (S&M is objectively one of the games with the most advanced graphics on the system, the Pokemon models and Z moves are ahead of almost everything the 3DS has done before and after) and had to cut an optional performance hog to get there.

"The least possible effort" my ass after how many elements they've overhauled coming from X&Y.

Meffer

Whatever engine Game Freak uses isn't that great and runs not as well as people would think considering Pokemon is such a moneymaker. 3D takes a lot of resources and drops the framerate.

They likely disabled it to free up memory bandwidth for other things, though it does feel like its removal was a last minute decision. There are plenty of animations and effects which seem like they were made for 3D, like the Team Skull battle intro.

It's interesting playing ORAS and XY now - I had forgotten how every object in those games' overworlds had the cel shaded black outline. That's gone in Sun and Moon, which frees up polygons to draw more detailed environments. I miss it though, hope it comes back for the Switch games. It's still used in character models in Sun and Moon, and look at how close they can seem to detailed spritework in the right camera angles.

Yeah, no. I have those games and I still think the Pokemon games look good.

Pokemon games doesn't look that bad, SM especially looks great I have to admit, BUT they run like SHIT.

Monster Hunter, Yo-kai Watch, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil and others look amazing (lot better than Pokémon) and run well. I mean Monster Hunter is witchcraft at this point, but it IS a multi-million franchise, and so Capcom invested a lot in it.

Sadly, the same can't be said about Game Freak and Pokémon. Instead of fixing their engine, they decided to remove 3D to improve performance, and the funny thing is that they failed at it, giving the performance of SM, lol.

Personally I think the 3DS Pokémon games all look great. They might be technically flawed (though Sun and Moon is now technically acceptable), but I really like the distinct, cel-shaded look they have.

XY/ORAS have the thick black outlines on everything, the environments are nicely designed to the scale they've been made to, Pokémon and character models are charmingly in character. Textures are also really well done, made to complement the lack of texture filtering to create a sharp, well-defined image.

Basically, to me the Pokémon games are more aesthetically pleasing than something like Yokai Watch. Both those titles are unique at least - a lot of RPGs of this ilk tend to share similar visual effects like rim lighting and look similar to one another. Pokémon's unique look is worth championing.

jediyoshi

Right. It would run exactly how it runs on an OLD 3DS as it does on a NEW 3DS. That's the problem. My question is why?

Why do they ignore new hardware improvements? Laziness?

It's a conspiracy OP and you need to get to the bottom of it

#lazydevs
#worstgen
#
LmjJD06.png

Neoxon

But besides Retro, who would do a great job at a Pokémon game? Maybe Square Enix?
The issue with giving the mainline Pokémon franchise to another developer is that Game Freak has the gameplay aspect down to a science, so having a new studio take over may result in major changes to the franchise. Perhaps Nintendo & The Pokémon Company could do what you suggested & bring in another studio to help out Game Freak with the technical side of things.

Berordn

The issue with giving the mainline Pokémon franchise to another developer is that Game Freak has the gameplay aspect down to a science, so having a new studio take over may result in major changes to the franchise. Perhaps Nintendo & The Pokémon Company could do what you suggested & bring in another studio to help out Game Freak with the technical side of things.

It would probably be one of the best moves for the series if Nintendo got HAL or IS to team up with GF for development for their next engine.

They got the game design chops but at this point in history it doesn't make sense for them to keep floundering along like they have been.

Neoxon

It would probably be one of the best moves for the series if Nintendo got HAL or IS to team up with GF for development for their next engine.

They got the game design chops but at this point in history it doesn't make sense for them to keep floundering along like they have been.
True, but I suppose that Game Freak would want all of the existing future-proofed Pokémon models to work. Either way, I do agree that Game Freak should get some back-up for the technical stuff.

JoeM86

The issue is that Game Freak own more of Pokémon that Nintendo does, so that's why it'll never be handed to another developer.

This sort of shit is ridiculous. Many games remove 3D to have a solid framerate or so they can do more. Fed up with people saying it's lazy or incompetence.

Link_enfant

Without 3D Pokémon Sun/Moon should really run at a solid 60fps, at least on New 3DS.
Game Freak have almost always made the main Pokémon games look/run worse than they could compared to other games on the same system, with maybe the exception of Gen V. That's just disappointing for such great games to have such bad performance, especially on New 3DS.

This is the type of hyperbolic nonsense I came to despise on gaf, like this post is literally removed from reality.

GF has gone all out in production values (S&M is objectively one of the games with the most advanced graphics on the system, the Pokemon models and Z moves are ahead of almost everything the 3DS has done before and after) and had to cut an optional performance hog to get there.

"The least possible effort" my ass after how many elements they've overhauled coming from X&Y.

So you only focus on the superficial things while ignoring how much content we've come to get from GF in the GBA and DS era, only to have them scrapped for XY/ORAS and likely SuMo. Production values aren't everything in a game. Your post seems to emphasize that above all else, which you're entitled to believe, but I don't agree with that notion.

Let's not forget that we are talking about a multi-million franchise.

Where is all the money going to?

Pokémons games should NOT run like slideshows.

Izayoi

Banned
In the name of higher framerates, I'll allow it.

Demo ran great, especially compared to X/Y. ORAS was better, but still awful at parts in multi-mon battles and of course whenever 3D was on.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's because the 3DS hardware isn't powerful enough to run the engine and honestly speaking the 3D effect weren't that amazing nor necessary for the Pokémon series.

Let's not forget that we are talking about a multi-million franchise.

Where is all the money going to?

Pokémons games should NOT run like slideshows.

You are clearly clueless if you believe that the Pokémon Company is refusing to blow all their profit in creating the best engine for Pokémon.

There are other factors that come into play when running a multi-million franchise thus money need to be spread out across all brands and not just main series games.

You are greatly exaggerating the frame rate issues. I barely experienced a problem playing the game without 3D.

It's what he does shit on Game Freak when he knows full well that the 3DS just can't handle the engine.

SoulUnison

Banned
It's what he does shit on Game Freak when he knows full well that the 3DS just can't handle the engine.

I think if we're on the third major release using the engine and Game Freak still can't come to grips with the hardware or correctly streamline and optimize the code, then it's entirely on them and entirely embarrassing.

Think about what you're saying. "The 3DS just can't handle the engine...but they still keep releasing full priced games using it."

You might as well get a New 3DS XL for better load times and performance. Especially considering the Black Friday price drop.
I did just that this afternoon at a pawnshop.
Saw an N3DS XL for... wait for it... $89 with charge cable and case. Bout Alpha Sapphire for $8.

I am happy, fam.

Oh and the previous owners has Kyogre with Primal Orb, Shiny Lugia, Shiny Charizard, Shiny Mew. Also has Arceus and much much more.

Don't plan on erasing this file any time soon lol

It really isn't. It's got an okay artstyle and its the first mainline Pokémon to do 3D environments like we've been used to in other games for the last 18 years affecting people's perception. 3DS launch games put it to shame for crimany's sake.

You ain't wrong about bolded but show me the better looking launch games. 3DS launch games are the posterchildren for skewed perception. Average games deemed great because a content drought left owners with little alternative content and a $250-sized hole in their pocket to justify.

You are greatly exaggerating the frame rate issues. I barely experienced a problem playing the game without 3D.
Of course I was exaggerating, but the game does run at 20fps most of the time.

You are clearly clueless if you believe that the Pokémon Company is refusing to blow all their profit in creating the best engine for Pokémon.

There are other factors that come into play when running a multi-million franchise thus money need to be spread out across all brands and not just main series games.

Quality should be their focus, especially when they have a shitty product with lots of room for improvement. This is their third mainline 3DS game too, way past time they get their shit together.

And what, am I supposed to feel sorry that Game Freaks can't code a 3DS game? HAHAHA

If the 3DS can't run the engine, then why are they even using it? :lol

The self drag writes itself.

Top Bottom